PDA

View Full Version : George will Start or be the First Off the Bench!

PacerPenguins
01-24-2011, 10:49 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110124/SPORTS04/101240344/George-in-Rush-out-for-Pacers-?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

DENVER -- It's gotten to the point where it's not "if" Indiana Pacers swingman Brandon Rush will drift in and out, but a matter of "when."

Rush is currently in one of those moments and it appears it could cost him a spot in the rotation.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said rookie Paul George is close to bumping out Rush as either the first wing off the bench or the starting shooting guard, depending on the opponent.

"The decision that I have to make is when do I move Paul definitely in front of Brandon," O'Brien said. "That's coming if we keep getting sporadic play."

Inconsistency might as well be Rush's middle name because that's been his problem since the day the Pacers acquired him on draft night in 2008.

One game, he looks like the wing who could play alongside Danny Granger for years. In another, he shows why the Pacers were leery to pick up his option for next season.

Saturday's game against the Portland Trail Blazers was a perfect example.

Rush went scoreless in 24 minutes. The Pacers can handle Rush having bad shooting games on occasion as long as he's effective in other areas. On Saturday, he had one rebound, one assist and one steal.

"He drifts in and out," O'Brien said. "Sometimes he seems to be very focused on what we're trying to do and other times you look at his stat line or the impact he's having on the game. . . . Every coach wants reliability from anybody they have on the court. They want to know what to expect. When you don't have it, it throws a wrench in the works."

Pacersalltheway10
01-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Rush for Jason Thompson?

PacerPenguins
01-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Rush for Jason Thompson?

id rather have hans start so he can develope, i think he is our futu4e 4

BlueNGold
01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
"if we keep getting sporadic play"...

Jim, just use your brain. Paul is clearly the better player.

Why is this man still coaching?

O'Braindead
01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Praise the Lord for this great day. This is exactly what we need if (Big if) Jim isn't being contradicting.

Hopefully he beats out Mike, even though I won't hold my breath or get optimistic. Tenure is a "Female dog".

Trophy
01-24-2011, 11:05 PM

He makes things much harder than they need to be.

He needs to stick to one solid lineup and solid rotation.

It's now obvious that Paul has earned to play consistent minutes and Tyler deserves to also.

DC/Paul/Danny/Tyler/Roy should be playing the most minutes out of anyone on the team.

BringJackBack
01-24-2011, 11:06 PM
...He should have been getting these minutes all year...

BlueNGold
01-24-2011, 11:09 PM
DC/Paul/Danny/Tyler/Roy should be playing the most minutes out of anyone on the team.

That should have been the lineup months ago. It's time to start playing the right players and that includes Josh ahead of Posey.

I have run out of patience. I know Jim is getting closer to the correct set of players but if I see much Posey out there it's over for the season.

This is about the same time last year I stopped following the team and set my alarm for the draft.

cdash
01-24-2011, 11:09 PM

I'm not sure about that. He should have gotten more minutes than he got, but I think it was smart to bring him along slowly. He is just making really astounding progress. He seems to pick things up really quick. A great sign.

xBulletproof
01-24-2011, 11:11 PM

I think O'Brien handled this one right. Paul George was playing pretty badly when he got benched earlier in the year. George obviously learned something while not playing, he's much more comfortable now than he was.

Hicks
01-24-2011, 11:11 PM

Hey, at this point, I'm just glad he appears to be close to doing the right thing.

BringJackBack
01-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure about that. He should have gotten more minutes than he got, but I think it was smart to bring him along slowly. He is just making really astounding progress. He seems to pick things up really quick. A great sign.

He's been averaging something like 15 minutes a game. I understand maybe pulling him out of the rotation for a little bit of time when he started really struggling for a couple of games, but he sat out for close to twenty games in a stretch of about a month in a half.

Agreed w/ the progress though.

Major Cold
01-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I wonder what everyone's scapegoat will be next year when these players still show youthful inconsistencies?

Trophy
01-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Isn't it odd how towards the end of seasons, Jim starts to play younger players in more consistent minutes and we suddenly manage to win a lot.

Too bad it never mattered and we screwed our chances of getting a decent lottery pick.

I'm so sick of this guy. Knowing we could've played like that all season and have a way better record.

BringJackBack
I think O'Brien handled this one right. Paul George was playing pretty badly when he got benched earlier in the year. George obviously learned something while not playing, he's much more comfortable now than he was.

Perhaps. I guess I'm just being selfish and picky. :p :shrug: :laugh:

pacer4ever
I wonder what everyone's scapegoat will be next year when these players still show youthful inconsistencies?

at least they are playing thats all we are asking 4. and no Posey

vnzla81
01-24-2011, 11:18 PM
This shows how much love Jim has for Dunleavy, both players have been sucking this month but Rush is the one getting cut............. :bs:

pacer4ever
01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
This shows how much love Jim has for Dunleavy, both players have been sucking this month but Rush is the one getting cut............. :bs:

Remember JOB despreatly wants Dunleavy back. Rush not so much

BlueNGold
01-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Hey, at this point, I'm just glad he appears to be close to doing the right thing.

You have more endurance than I do. I simply have lost interest at this point.

It's like I've been in a state of shock and confusion by Jim's actions over the years...and now am waking up out of the fog. ...and I'm not waking up on the right side of the bed. Rather than being excited, I'm ticked and actually somewhat disinterested.

Trophy
01-24-2011, 11:23 PM

The elderly of this team get special treatment.

tsm612
01-24-2011, 11:26 PM

I'm not sure what's funnier, that JOB chooses Dunleavy over Rush, or that JOB assumes he's even coming back next year.

spazzxb
01-24-2011, 11:26 PM
That should have been the lineup months ago. It's time to start playing the right players and that includes Josh ahead of Posey.

I have run out of patience. I know Jim is getting closer to the correct set of players but if I see much Posey out there it's over for the season.

This is about the same time last year I stopped following the team and set my alarm for the draft.

Why do you put so much weight on the 10th man in the rotation(be it josh or James)? Posey doesn't even play every night and people act like he is the root of all evil. The 10th man doesn't make or break any team yet its all certain people want to talk about.

pacer4ever
01-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Why do you put so much weight on the 10th man in the rotation?

Because Posey is KILLING US

Sookie
01-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Why do you put so much weight on the 10th man in the rotation?

Josh should be the backup PF, that may be the tenth best player on the team, but that's a lot of minutes. Important minutes. Josh is better than Posey.

It's the same thing with Price vs TJ. Not only was it unfair because Price is better, but also think about the pressure that put on DC. He had to play well, or we were in a world of hurt. Now, with two good young PGs playing, we've got a pretty good shot of at least one of them playing well..

This isn't even about playing the young guys, it's about playing the best guys. Then you just add the topper that, Price and Josh will be back next year (probably) and TJ won't, and hopefully the next coach won't be dumb enough to use Posey.

cdash
01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Anybody noticed how crazy productive George's per minute stats are? Man this guy could be great someday.

itzryan07
01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
i hope Hansbrough is our future 4. screw randolph or thompson. Hansbbrough is a beast

HOOPFANATIC
01-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Rush is sporadic because he is what he is.

Strengths: Very good scorer both years in college.* Good rebounder for his size.* Very long arms – 6’11” wingspan.* Very good size for a shooting guard, especially when taking into account his wingspan.* Very accurate three-point shooter.* Good defender.
Weaknesses: Unselfish to a fault – needs to be more aggressive in looking to score.* Can be inconsistent – disappears some games.* Will be 22-years-old this summer – two years older than most sophomores.
Projected 2007 Draft Range: First round pick (2007 or 2008).
Consensus: *While Rush’s unselfishness is refreshing, his unwillingness to dominate at times should be a bit worrisome for prospective NBA teams.* With his package of skills and size he should be an above average NBA pro – how good he will be is up to him though.

TPTB: ooooh we don't have any idea why Brandon isn't being more aggressive and looking to score??

PacerPride33
01-24-2011, 11:39 PM
about time

BlueNGold
01-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Why do you put so much weight on the 10th man in the rotation(be it josh or James)? Posey doesn't even play every night and people act like he is the root of all evil. The 10th man doesn't make or break any team yet its all certain people want to talk about.

Sadly, you are dead wrong. Posey has played in every game this year except 3. It's well past time to stick a fork in him, but he's still getting significant minutes...over 18 mpg.

spazzxb
01-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Josh should be the backup PF, that may be the tenth best player on the team, but that's a lot of minutes. Important minutes. Josh is better than Posey.

It's the same thing with Price vs TJ. Not only was it unfair because Price is better, but also think about the pressure that put on DC. He had to play well, or we were in a world of hurt. Now, with two good young PGs playing, we've got a pretty good shot of at least one of them playing well..

This isn't even about playing the young guys, it's about playing the best guys. Then you just add the topper that, Price and Josh will be back next year (probably) and TJ won't, and hopefully the next coach won't be dumb enough to use Posey.

When Danny plays the four and Roy/Tyler are effective we play a nine man rotation. Its more complicated than being simply Posey vs. Josh. For Josh to get back into the regular rotation he needs to play well enough to send one of the wings (Posey isn't in the rotation) out of it.

spazzxb
01-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Sadly, you are dead wrong. Posey has played in every game this year except 3. It's well past time to stick a fork in him, but he's still getting significant minutes...over 18 mpg.

Look at his minutes since Tyler took over as the starter and George was added to the rotation(after the New York game). I am not trying to talk about the season so far I am talking about the present.

pacer4ever
01-24-2011, 11:49 PM
When Danny plays the four and Roy/Tyler are effective we play a nine man rotation. Its more complicated than being simply Posey vs. Josh. For Josh to get back into the regular rotation he needs to play well enough to send one of the wings (Posey isn't in the rotation) out of it.

WTF Josh isnt a wing nethier is Posey anymore it is Posey v Josh and JOB plays favorites(I dont even like Josh BTW)

BlueNGold
01-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Look at his minutes since Tyler took over as the starter and George was added to the rotation(after the New York game). I am not trying to talk about the season so far I am talking about the present.

Fine, but my standard is higher. It will matter if Posey plays 10 minutes. All the minutes matter and until that is recognized this team will continue to lose more games. These young guys need development THIS YEAR...not next year when we want them to have some degree of experience. The time is NOW!

pacer4ever
01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Fine, but my standard is higher. It will matter if Posey plays 10 minutes. All the minutes matter and until that is recognized this team will continue to lose more games. These young guys need development THIS YEAR...not next year when we want them to have some degree of experience. The time is NOW!

exactly all 240 mins matter posey should not see 1

spazzxb
01-24-2011, 11:58 PM
WTF Josh isnt a wing nethier is Posey anymore it is Posey v Josh and JOB plays favorites(I dont even like Josh BTW)

If Posey doesn't play, Granger typically takes the backup minutes at the 4. George started getting minutes because danny plays some of his at the 4, opening up minutes for the wings. Its not that complicated. I am perfectly happy with Posey not playing,it doesn't bug me one bit. I am just saying it doesn't come down to who is better Josh or Posey . Neither of them are clearly in the rotation anymore.

BlueNGold
01-24-2011, 11:58 PM
BTW, although Jim appears to be playing more of "the right guys" now...he has contradicted himself many times and there is absolutely no guarantee he will not have Posey guarding Amare next time we play the Knicks. Portland was just hours ago folks...and he had Posey on Priz.

Trophy
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm sure Posey was even thinking that he wasn't going to see much time and would be more of a mentor coming to a team full of young guys.

I was happy that Posey was coming here believing that, but I remember reading the possibility that Jim would use him at PF, I didn't think Jim would be that dumb to use a player to play a position he's never even had much experience with.

Boy did he prove me wrong.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
If Posey doesn't play, Granger typically takes the backup minutes at the 4. George started getting minutes because danny plays some of his at the 4, opening up minutes for the wings. Its not that complicated

Paul should start at the SG and take Dunleavy's mins. Posey should be 3rd string and Josh should be 2nd and Danny shouldnt have to play mins at the 4 unless J mac is uneffctive then put DG at the 4 as a last resort BUT NO POSEY

Merz
01-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Like I said in another thread, it is not the just the number of minutes Posey is playing but it is also when he plays those minutes that is the problem. He often gets heavy minutes when the game is in the balance. Unless he is hitting his three (33%) he is almost worthless and certainly no better than Josh. Josh provides better interior D and he is pretty good passer (actually helping O'Brien's motion offense, I don't know how he doesn't notice that).

PaceBalls
01-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Rush should never be behind Dunleavy in the rotation, but at this point I'd like to see Rush back up Paul and let's see how good PG is. I really hope Dun gets traded in the next couple weeks... as long as it's not for a ****'n stretch 4. :banghead:

It sure will be nice to have Dunleavy and TJ on some other team and Jim spending quality time with his family.

Just a few more months guys. Then let the good times roll! :cheers:

Midcoasted
01-25-2011, 01:21 AM

I said to stick a fork in him before the season even started. I gave him some early season praise but that has quickly diminished. Sadly I was right. He's done. JOB = failure.

able
01-25-2011, 05:53 AM
I agree with Jim, it is much better to see Dun go 0 for 9 then have a guy who plays defense on your team, at least when they take that many shots you can say to the boss, hey we got enough chances, they just missed them.

As opposed to "i coached you another trainwreck"

Mackey_Rose
01-25-2011, 06:20 AM

If you think it is so meaningless, why do you find it necessary to try to explain Jim's decision on such a trivial point in nearly every thread, and then proceed to argue the same trivial point to no end?

Especially when there is no actual good explanation for it in the first place.

sportfireman
01-25-2011, 09:11 AM

So what..... the coach won't be back, hopefully. So if he wants Dun that bad, they can go hang out at a bar or something. Just not around the team.

cinotimz
01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Hmmm. Playing George more as we approach the trade deadline. Imagine that. Especially after saying you cant win with young guys. Could Bird be planning to go after a major player with George, this years 1st rounder and one of the expirings? Certainly seems like it.

graphic-er
01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Well I hope George can play better with the starting unit than he did at the start of the 2nd half vs Denver. He was terrible in that stretch.

Justin Tyme
01-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Bird and Simon. That says it all!

Justin Tyme
01-25-2011, 12:19 PM

O'BRIEN SYNDROME!

Justin Tyme
01-25-2011, 12:28 PM
The elderly of this team get special treatment.

There is absolutely positively NOTHING wrong with the "elderly" getting special treatment! I personally in favor of it and feel they deserve it! :D

I'd have fixed your post by taking out the words "of this team", but I have never felt it was proper for others to fix someone else's post to read how they want it to read. JMO

Speed
01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Well I hope George can play better with the starting unit than he did at the start of the 2nd half vs Denver. He was terrible in that stretch.

Ya, he looked lost. I hope if he does get the nod with that group, its an extended stay so he can get comfortable.

Many, myself included, have said Dunleavy is much better suited as a guy off the bench. Love to see it, better late than never.

Unclebuck
01-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Good point

here are Posey'sminutes since the Spurs game
.01 - Yes 1 second

By any measure he is playing less since the Spurs game and since Tyler has started

Since86
01-25-2011, 01:33 PM
By any measure he is playing less since the Spurs game and since Tyler has started

It's not that he's playing less, it should be that he shouldn't be playing AT ALL.

I don't know what is so hard about that.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Hmmm. Playing George more as we approach the trade deadline. Imagine that. Especially after saying you cant win with young guys. Could Bird be planning to go after a major player with George, this years 1st rounder and one of the expirings? Certainly seems like it.

If we trade George i am done with this team.

Justin Tyme
01-25-2011, 02:13 PM
If we trade George i am done with this team.

The only draft pick I can recall Bird trading was Shawne Williams, no explaination need be said, so I don't see him trading George. If he hasn't traded "NYC best ever player", I just don't see him trading George. George IS the real deal, and he's Rush's replacement!

pacergod2
01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Good point

here are Posey'sminutes since the Spurs game
.01 - Yes 1 second

Thanks for that Buck. I think one thing that JOB has backwards, and this is not to knock JOB, but he wants the veterans to get consistent minutes. The thing about it is that veterans are the ones that can handle inconsistent minutes. The young guys need the consistency in minutes to off-set their inconsistent play. Posey will come in for 10 minutes one game and be effective due to a match up or we need his shooting. Great. It's the young guys who should be given 10 minutes per game over the course of 20 games and hopefully ramp up over the course of a season. The young guys need the consistency to get better. Popovich does an amazing job of getting his young guys more consistent playing time with the veterans even if its only a few minutes per game, to adjust and be able to work into their roles. I think JOB looks at this the complete opposite and this is just my opinion, so I very well could be wrong. I like the way Jim has used Posey for the most part since the beginning of January. (Outside of guarding athletic bigs).

oxxo
01-25-2011, 03:24 PM
The biggest issue now isn't how many minutes Posey is getting. It's the fact JOB decides to stick him on people like Amare, Griffin, and Przybilla. That's just plain stupid. The fact that still he thinks Posey can play the 4, even in 'small ball', is laughable.

Eleazar
01-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm fine with George getting minutes over Rush, although at this point I still think it would be smarter to give Rush the majority of minutes I can understand why you would want to give them to George. What I don't understand is why George is getting the minutes over Rush instead of Dunleavy.

As far as Posey and playing Granger at the 4 goes, it is ****ing stupid. It was ****ing stupid last year and the year before. Even last year Josh was clearly the best healthy PF on the team, this year it isn't even a valid argument to say it is better to play Posey or Granger over him at the 4 position for an extended period of time.

pacer4ever
01-25-2011, 04:22 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/SolutionWater

Paul George is the spokesman for solution water? I didnt know that

Shade
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
He makes things much harder than they need to be.

He needs to stick to one solid lineup and solid rotation.

It's now obvious that Paul has earned to play consistent minutes and Tyler deserves to also.

That's the lineup I've been itching to see for weeks now.

Jim is so...freaking...slllloooooooooowwwwww...