PDA

View Full Version : The future

spazzxb
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/blog_brunner.html

from brunners blog

"A green light waiting at the intersection of possibility and reality

Jan. 24, 2011

As the Pacers reach the midpoint of the 2010-11 season, they clearly are not where they hoped. With a 16-25 record, Indiana is tied for ninth in the Eastern Conference, one of five tightly bunched teams separated by just 2 games competing for the final two playoff berths.

And there they are: a rookie (Paul George), two second-year players (Darren Collison and Tyler Hansbrough), a third-year center (Roy Hibbert) and Danny Granger, the relative senior citizen of the bunch at the ripe old age of 27.

Four of the five presently are starting. George isn't in the lineup yet but appears headed in that direction. He started the second half in Denver Sunday night, which doesn't necessarily mean he's about to be promoted, but neither does it discourage the discussion.

George's productivity since his return to the rotation has been impressive (8.4 points, 3.1 rebounds, .569 shooting in 14.7 minutes in the last 11 games) while both of the starters at the wing position opposite Granger (Brandon Rush and Mike Dunleavy) have been erratic, and neither has made a move to lock down the job.

Hansbrough, the newest member of the lineup, also has had his share of impressive moments, including the career-high 27 points and 10 rebounds in Denver. He has averaged 12.7 points and 6.3 rebounds in 23.4 minutes since becoming a starter nine games ago.

I'm not sure if a team with a lineup so young can make the playoffs. I am sure, looking to the near and long terms, those five represent the best the Pacers have to offer and it's imperative to begin to find out just what that means.

This has been a wildly, maddeningly inconsistent team. Some nights, it's turnovers. Some nights, it's rebounding. Some nights, it's offense. Some nights, it's defense. Every night, it seems, it's something different.

That is the trademark of youth: to tease with possibility and frustrate with reality.

But one day in the not-too-distant future, the Pacers will reach the intersection of possibility and reality. From what I've seen, there's a green light waiting."

beezer615
01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Love the picture that is on the website.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/photos/brunner_300_110124.jpg

Anyone not in that picture is probably trade bait or allowed to walk at the end of the year. Only ones I can think of with a chance are AJ and Lance (the latter because he hasn't been allowed to play yet and hasn't proven the management wrong).

spazzxb
01-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Love the picture that is on the website.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/photos/brunner_300_110124.jpg

Anyone not in that picture is probably trade bait or allowed to walk at the end of the year. Only ones I can think of with a chance are AJ and Lance (the latter because he hasn't been allowed to play yet and hasn't proven the management wrong).

I liked it enough that I made it my avatar before reading the article. I think we will re-sign Josh and I wouldn't call Rush trade bait (not that he couldn't be traded). Fosters days are numbered but he is worth keeping around as long as it doesn't hinder our financial flexibility. It would be fantastic if the guy in the picture below pans out as Roys backup longterm.
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/spazzxb/images-5.jpg

Peck
01-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Honestly I don't envy Brunner. It is his job to make sure that we are all looking at the positives.

Here is the problem with his argument. The people in question are playing now, can't be denied. George, Tyler & even Collison have had an increase in their playing since the N.Y. game.

However to try and pawn off this season as a young team struggling is just more than I can stand.

Mike Dunleavy, James Posey, T.J. Ford, Jeff Foster, Solomon Jones have all played heavy min. at one point in time and I'm sorry but they have performed no better than the young players have.

I hope that we go young, I hope that what he is saying is the case. But I have no faith going forward that this will hold up.

However the one thing that needs to be noticed from this article by Bruno is that this is basically the Pacers officially unofficially telling you that they probably won't make the playoffs this year.

Marlin
01-24-2011, 06:16 PM
I'll be honest, this is the part I cared for the most:

"George isn't in the lineup yet but appears headed in that direction"

Not that I necessarily want him starting, but we're at a point where his minutes should increase even by beginning the game on the bench. If he's in the starting lineup, all the better.