PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs or tank?

Shade
01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
With the season now half over, we're projected to win 32 games and are sitting outside of the playoff picture.

Would you rather the Pacers make a furious push toward the postseason, or continue to slide and land a Top 5 draft pick?

cdash
01-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Playoffs.

Lord Helmet
01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm tired of losing and I want to have fun watching the basketball team I love, and making the playoffs would be fun, regardless of where we are seeded.

Sadly, the team only shows up 50% of the time, so I believe we'll be getting the #9th seed again.

Day-V
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Playoffs.

BringJackBack
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
**** it. I'm done with tanking only to go on a little streak at the end of the season.. If it's my choice I want the playoffs.

We just flat out need fourth quarter scorers, a new coach, and steady production from a lot of guys. That's asking for a lot.*

*But notice I didn't say that we have a void in talent. We've got the talent to win 40-42 games, but we lack in determination and in the coaching department.

BRushWithDeath
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't think the playoffs are realistic. Unfortunately, neither is top 5 without a lot other teams improving. Purgatory it is.

Sookie
01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
I'd prefer the playoffs..so long as there is a promise that the young guys get to play in it..and you know..get that experience.

ballism
01-24-2011, 05:39 PM
We'll probably still finish at 36-38 wins, the schedule gets easier.
I'm saying top 5 pick btw, but that's highly unlikely. Playoffs are still very possible.

vnzla81
01-24-2011, 05:41 PM
http://www.gizmology.net/images/tank11.jpg

IndySDExport
01-24-2011, 05:43 PM
"What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs?! You kidding me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game! Another game!"

http://www.pacersdigest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=382&d=1295908963

Deadshot
01-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I hate the fact that we have to think about this every season. Not only that, but each year we narrowly miss the playoffs and end up with a pick lower than we could. Instead of only being happy with one, I would be happy if we could successfully tank OR make the playoffs. We ask this question every year and always end up with neither.

MiaDragon
01-24-2011, 05:55 PM
need more talent.

Speed
01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
top 5? I would take that. I can't root for it, obviously.

HOOPFANATIC
01-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I really want us to make the playoffs but I don't want to see the Danny, Mike, Jeff, James, and possibly TJ show it will likely be.

D-BONE
01-24-2011, 06:10 PM
At this point, the higher the draft pick the better in an ideal situation.

Unfortunately, we don't live in a utopia. Hence, I'll state it this way...keep giving steady minutes to AJ, PG, TH and get McBob back in the rotation - even if fairly low minutes - and aggressively try to move TJ, MDJ and even Foster if we can get something good.

Then, let the chips fall where they may as far as record and post season. Just to be clear...not playing to lose...NEVER.

EDIT: AT this point, I think Rush has to be in consideration as trade sweetner if necessary. Of course, again pending the quality of the return.

EDIT 2: Oh yeah...and friggin get a new coach for next season if not sooner!

d_c
01-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Playoffs but, if they are out of it at the end, don't win the meaningless games that they have in the past. It could cost them. That's not for sure, but it could.

Probably cost them Eric Gordon in 2008.

Edit: Another thing is that the Pacers are most likely out of the running for a Top 5 pick (an option suggested by this poll). Too many teams are "ahead" of them in that department.

Peck
01-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Here is what I want.

I want to see a steady diet of Paul George, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Granger, Darren Collison, Roy Hibbert, Josh McRoberts, A.J. Price, Brandon Rush & yes even some Lance Stephenson.

We need three more people active so I want it to be Solomon Jones, Jeff Foster & Dahntay Jones.

Posey, Ford & Dunleavy can be de-activated and sit in street cloths.

Give me that consistant lineup and not allow Jim to go to his comfort zone & I'll just live with whatever the end result ends up being (playoff or lottery)

DrFife
01-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Our schedule might be cause for optimism.

After this next weekend, and in addition to a here/there against Miami, we play a dozen more games through February against teams with a combined average record of 30 wins per season. If we can't make up ground over the next month, then abandon ship! On the other hand, if Larry can pull off a decent trade for a front-court player who can complement (and/or relieve) Hibbert, the All-Star break and a soft patch in the schedule would seem to be an excellent time for that player to become acclimated.

ECKrueger
01-24-2011, 06:25 PM
If we were magically assured the top 5 pick, I would want that. In real life however, I would say playoffs I suppose.

ECKrueger
01-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Here is what I want.

I want to see a steady diet of Paul George, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Granger, Darren Collison, Roy Hibbert, Josh McRoberts, A.J. Price, Brandon Rush & yes even some Lance Stephenson.

We need three more people active so I want it to be Solomon Jones, Jeff Foster & Dahntay Jones.

Give me that consistant lineup and not allow Jim to go to his comfort zone & I'll just live with whatever the end result ends up being (playoff or lottery)

I also agree with this completely.

LetsTalkPacers
01-24-2011, 06:45 PM
"What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs?! You kidding me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game! Another game!"

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p3-eavMSBnk" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

But I defiantly agree that it's playoffs or bust. top 5 pick wouldn't happen if we lost every game that's left.

sportfireman
01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Fire the coach....:mad:

grace
01-24-2011, 07:04 PM
What's with bumping a thread from last season? Or was it from the season before that? The real question is what's the differnce between tanking and what the team is doing now?

BornReady#6
01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Here is what I want.

This is the best logical answer. Tanking does nothing productive, and only fuels the naysayers argument for the teams disembarkment for a different market. The way I see it is; purposely tanking a season by the players, or managerial actions that lead to losses by way of personnel, talent or lack there of, rotations or any other means only the hurt the team in every way feasible. Of course we would love a top lottery pick, but at the expense of attendance, public scrutiny,and revenue is just ignorant. Like Peck said, kick JOB and his gang of divas out of nap (Potapenko, McCarty, Posey), and if our young core by some chance leads to that pick, then so be it, but to throw games would bring Indiana basketball to an all time low, even lower Artest letting his bi-polarity get the best of him.

Mr_Smith
01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
I wanna see them make the playoffs, only for them to get swept by Miami or Boston.

BornReady#6
01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Here is what I want.

This is the best logical answer. Tanking does nothing productive, and only fuels the naysayers argument for the teams disembarkment for a different market. The way I see it is; purposely tanking a season by the players, or managerial actions that lead to losses by way of personnel, rotations or any other means only the hurt the team in every way feasible. Of course we would love a top lottery pick, but at the expense of ,attendance, public scrutiny,and revenue is just ignorant. Like Peck said, kick JOB and his gang of divas out of nap (Potapenko, McCarty, Posey), but lets not jeopardize the birth place of round balls integrity for a shot in the dark. From the Milan Indians to the ABA Dynasty, Larry Bird being a Sycamore to Isiah representing the Hoosiers, and from Reggie killing the Knicks, to our deep playoff run only to lose to the great Lakers. I will always love Indiana Basketball, even on the bad days.

Pacersalltheway10
01-24-2011, 08:52 PM
This team is not ready for the playoffs. They lack determination and a good head coach as said earlier. I'd much rather have that top pick to use to select our future long term PF or trade it away for a proven star PF. Hey even if we selct a freshman PF who might not be ready to really turn it on for a couple of years we would still have the money to sign West or Nene ( Denari said he was a free agent this year) in the offseason and have time for the player to develop. I don't think this is that weak of a draft. the top 5 or 6 is pretty good.

BlueNGold
01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
This is an easy decision for me.

We are about to start our ascent in the NBA with dumping these massive contracts and seeing our younger players develop into vets.

If we are ever going to get a top 5 pick, now is the time. The team will not be this bad for a long time because a) JOb will be gone and b) our players are going to get better simply due to age.

TheDon
01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I thin its not too much to ask foor a top 5 pick and just tank we've already suffered through 41 games at least if we just phone it in the rest of the season there is light at the end of the tunnel. I really think if we could get a top 5 pick it would just give us more leverage to deal for a player we want on top of having a ton of cap space. As opposed to two extra home games in the playoffs where we most likely will be swept and then end up with a draft pick in the teens. As stated above we're not going to suck for long and if there was a season to tank this would be the one to do it in besides I fear that even if we manage to make it in playoffs I'm not 100% convinced they won't fire jim and if that happens I seriously am going to have to look elsewhere for a team to cheer for

spazzxb
01-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Here is what I want.

Its pretty much a given TJ is gone after this season. We are stuck with Posey, and I understand that half the Posey hate stems from Josh not playing. Dunleavy, however could potentially still be signed to be a backup next season . I feel Dunleavy might still be a positive part of the future. I understand TJ and Posey, but why are you so against Dunleavy being a part of the rotation?

k_lewis93
01-24-2011, 10:52 PM
My opinion...fire obbie, get whole new staff, trade all expirings or some expirings (whatever it takes) to get a good young rookie who will probably be a star. Play all the young guys all the time so they get experience and tank this year. I don't care if we win another game. I'm through with mediocre teams. Sorry the fact of the matter is no big name wants to play in indiana. Therefore, only way to get a possible star player is through the draft. Tank it and get a top 5 pick.

Pacergeek
01-25-2011, 08:25 AM
i say playoffs. a top five pick doesn't guarantee anything. If we tanked last season, we may have gotten stuck with Evan Turner. Right now I wouldn't trade PG for Turner.

Pacerized
01-25-2011, 09:49 AM
I just can't say until the trade deadline. If we continue to play the way we did last week and don't make a significant trade, then I'll say tank. If we pick up a big man that can help us long term and make a difference now, then I'll say playoffs.

croz24
01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
unfortunately, there's nobody to tank for this year.

clownskull
01-25-2011, 11:49 AM
i agree with peck's assessment. however, my guess is that no way in hell would obie allow posey, dun and tj to sit in street clothes. after all, obie desperately wants dun back (insert puking sound) and will play the other 2 on a regular basis too.
but, one can always dream i suppose.........

Unclebuck
01-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Here is what I want.

I think moving Dunleavy to the bench is ridiculous by any measure. He's been one of our most consistant players and to bench him sets a horrible precent. I could not agr more than I do on Mike

SMosley21
01-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Playoffs, because a top 5 pick in this draft is likely going to be the equivalent of a top 10 pick from any other draft. This draft is going to be W-E-A-K!

Mourning
01-26-2011, 08:49 AM
I hate the fact that we have to think about this every season. Not only that, but each year we narrowly miss the playoffs and end up with a pick lower than we could. Instead of only being happy with one, I would be happy if we could successfully tank OR make the playoffs. We ask this question every year and always end up with neither.

IF we had tanked a couple of years ago (like virtually every franchise outside of Indy seems to do from time to time) we might have been in a different position, but since the brass have decided to try and make the playoffs and have continously failed to do so we end up with a middle of the road pick and usually a middle of the road talent (George, Granger and Hibbert are nice exceptions to this) and no playoff(experience).

It's a choice they made and have defended, I appreciate that, it's just not the choice I wished they had made, alas.

Anyway the draft this year seems to be exceptionally poor, so I might just hope that we reach the postseason this year, so we probably end up with a top pick now :dead:.

MTM
01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
The team should always try to earn a playoff spot. Always. And even if it means a first-round exit, it lays the ground work for a future.

Remember.... Chuck Person won Rookie of the Year in 1986-87 and led the Pacers to a first round loss to the Hawks, 3-1, in 1987. I was in middle school and attended the lone Pacers win in that series, and it was one of the most electrifying sports moments from my childhood. That was the first time the Pacers had made the playoffs in six years, and they were the # 7 seed. A few more losses that season in hopes of a higher draft pick would have set them up nicely.

Instead, they made the playoffs and picked # 11 -- a guy you might have heard of - Reggie Miller. It then took 2 more years for the Pacers to get back to the playoffs, but once they did, they spent the next 15 years competing in the post-season almost every year.

Building blocks of a franchise requires the experience of playoff basketball as well as the right players. Tanking with a goal to get better players is what happens to a team like the Clippers. Maybe they finally got it right this time with Blake Griffin, but I would not have wanted to be a Clippers fan for the past 30 years instead of a Pacers fan.

daschysta
01-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Obvously push for the playoffs, playing the correct players to get there. JOB seems to have turned the corner with AJ, now if he isn't talking out of his *** about Paul George we may be on to something. We're already young, and have potential, it's a bad draft anyways, lets follow through and make the playoffs. We tend to wax as the season progresses anyhow, and it's not like we've been miserably losing most of these games. We've been losing incredibly close contests, so it isn't like the play is so bad that we have no hope of winning a much better percentage as the season goes on.

CableKC
01-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Its pretty much a given TJ is gone after this season. We are stuck with Posey, and I understand that half the Posey hate stems from Josh not playing. Dunleavy, however could potentially still be signed to be a backup next season . I feel Dunleavy might still be a positive part of the future. I understand TJ and Posey, but why are you so against Dunleavy being a part of the rotation?
Although I do not entirely agree with the notion that Dunleavy should be cut out entirely from the rotation......I think that his minutes should be reduced to 15-20 minutes per game while cutting Posey out entirely from the SG/SF rotation. Although I don't consider Dunleavy a part of the future core of this Team....I do recognize that he does contribute to the effectiveness of this Team ( just like I'd include Foster for the same reasons ).

As for signing Dunleavy as a backup....if Posey and his $7.5 mil contract wasn't on the books next season....I'd agree with you that I'd prefer to keep Dunleavy. But the reality is that if we have Dunleavy in the rotation ( even for the immediate future ) that it would mean less minutes for PG and even less for Lance.

Looking at our SG/SF rotation for the next season...as it stands now....we'd have Granger/BRush/PG/Posey/Inferno/Lance. If we add Dunleavy to the mix, we'd be in the same situation as we are in now.....likely reducing the # of minutes that PG and Lance gets in the long term.

pacer4ever
01-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Although I do not entirely agree with the notion that Dunleavy should be cut out entirely from the rotation......I think that his minutes should be reduced to 15-20 minutes per game while cutting Posey out entirely from the SG/SF rotation. Although I don't consider Dunleavy a part of the future core of this Team....I do recognize that he does contribute to the effectiveness of this Team ( just like I'd include Foster for the same reasons ).

As for signing Dunleavy as a backup....if Posey and his $7.5 mil contract wasn't on the books next season....I'd agree with you that I'd prefer to keep Dunleavy. But the reality is that if we have Dunleavy in the rotation ( even for the immediate future ) that it would mean less minutes for PG and even less for Lance.

Looking at our SG/SF rotation for the next season...as it stands now....we'd have Granger/BRush/PG/Posey/Inferno/Lance. If we add Dunleavy to the mix, we'd be in the same situation as we are in now.....likely reducing the # of minutes that PG and Lance gets in the long term.

This

Eleazar
01-26-2011, 01:39 PM
i say playoffs. a top five pick doesn't guarantee anything. If we tanked last season, we may have gotten stuck with Evan Turner. Right now I wouldn't trade PG for Turner.

Making the playoffs doesn't guarantee this team will ever be a championship quality team either.

Playoffs, because a top 5 pick in this draft is likely going to be the equivalent of a top 10 pick from any other draft. This draft is going to be W-E-A-K!

You know what you can get with a top 10 pick in any other draft? Paul George who some thought would be the best player in the draft a few years down the road before he was even drafted, and is already looking like he will be a star despite the team believing he was going to be a project and not contribute for 2 or 3 years. Just because the draft seems weak at this point in time doesn't mean there won't be any quality players, or that it will be weak at all.