PDA

View Full Version : Our Core

90'sNBARocked
01-24-2011, 04:17 PM
To deviate from the repetitive "Jim sucks"threads I thought about who I think is our core players going forward.

What I mean by core are those players who you think, (baring a very lopsided trade) should be the players to build around.

Danny Granger- Still a very elite scorer, an unhappy one, but still very good
Tyler Hansbrough- All the fight and attitude you could want in a PF
Paul George- Mature beyond his years, athletic marvel, great potential
Darren Collison- Making of an elite PG, just stuck in a system that doenst fit
Roy Hibbert- cant teach height, and still has potential to be very solid

I think these are the only players that I definitely want to see going forward.
I honestly dont care what happens to any other players on the team

JMHO

Speed
01-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Hard to see "90s" and "Core" in a thread an not think of the birth of PD. Good times :)

I'd agree with you, that is the Core. I could easily see that change with the idea that you need to acquire a #1 for Danny to be the Robin for and Birds thoughts that you can't have mostly young guys.

I like that group going forward, but I also can see trading some pieces to get proven better players.

90'sNBARocked
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
yep, everything was golden in the 90's :)

I go back and forth with whether to move Granger or not. Part of me wants to see the effects of another coach, the other says Granger is not enough and should be moved as part of a bigger package to get younger and more potential

xIndyFan
01-24-2011, 04:28 PM
To deviate from the repetitive "Jim sucks"threads I thought about who I think is our core players going forward.

What I mean by core are those players who you think, (baring a very lopsided trade) should be the players to build around.

JMHO

pacers have been running the NO offense most of the time this trip west. collison is still sucking at it. blaming the system for his lack of production is erroneous. collison is an average PG. if he was really good, he could play no matter what the system. collison is better than watson, but trading him for someone else wouldn't cause any lost sleep.

i would add AJ and brandon to the list. AJ is a much better PG that he looks. he just seems to be one of those guys whose numbers are better than you think watching the game. brandon is a defender/3point shooter. and makes the SG/SF rotation complete.

Trader Joe
01-24-2011, 04:33 PM
I would not say Granger is a very elite scorer anymore. He's a shell of the guy he was two years ago.

90'sNBARocked
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I could tend to agree with that, although I HOPE he is just "O'Briened out"

Pacergeek
01-24-2011, 04:57 PM
that's a pretty depressing "core" going forward. Not sure that there isn't a worse group in the NBA. Paul George is the only guy to get excited about.

90'sNBARocked
01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
that's a pretty depressing "core" going forward. Not sure that there isn't a worse group in the NBA. Paul George is the only guy to get excited about.

Really?

I admit its not exactly world beaters, but I wouldnt say anywhere near the bottom 5

Pacergeek
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Really?

I admit its not exactly world beaters, but I wouldnt say anywhere near the bottom 5

Well, as Pacer fans we are biased because we watch these guys play frequently. But if we were a fan of another team, we wouldn't really fear the Pacers as a team on the rise. Other bad teams I am sorry to say have us beat. The Warriors have a better core, and the Clippers do by far. The Kings probably do. We may have the T'Wolves beat, but that is all I can think of.

aaronb
01-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Further proof that rebuilding without actually rebuilding in a small market is a failed strategy. Need a new direction in the front office.

I'd listen to offers on ANYONE currently on this roster. Starting price is Picks and younger assets.

90'sNBARocked
01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
I d say Cleveland, Washington, New Jersey, Minnesota,Golden St, Detroit, Phoenix

are worse off than us

aaronb
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM
I d say Cleveland, Washington, New Jersey, Minnesota,Golden St, Detroit, Phoenix

are worse off than us

Cleveland-Possibly but they haven't even had a lotto chance yet

Washington-Better off because John Wall is better than anyone we have, and they have Blatche, Nick Young and Rashad Lewis who are all starters on this Pacers club.

New Jersey- Lopez and Favors are both better building blocks than what we have right now

Minnesota- Love and Rubio have more trade value than anyone we have. Plus Wes Johnson and Mike Beasley. Lots of intriguing 25 and under assets there

Golden state- Has Ellis and Curry. David Lee absolutely a better team than us right now.

Detroit- We might be better off than them. I do really like Greg Monroe. Other players are ugh. Another team that shouldn't have cut corners on their rebuild. Though it looks like Dumars is FINALLY admitting his mistakes and going to bottom out and rebuild. Will our Front Office admit mistakes? They haven't yet?

Phoenix- They've been a perennial playoff team. Haven't really even had a chance to rebuild at this point. Their owner totally sucks and ruined their title hopes

Pacergeek
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM

are worse off than us

Cleveland- yes, but that doesn't really count becaus that whole team was built around Lebron

Washington- No. John Wall and Nick Young are better than our prospects.

New Jersey- Maybe.

Minnesota- yes

Golden St- big no. Monta Ellis > Granger. Steph Curry, David Lee and Dorrell Wright are more formidable than our core.

Detroit- yes

Phoenix- maybe.

Sookie
01-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Here's the thing, when you have a group of guys

Collison, Price, Rush, George, Danny, Josh, Hans, and Hibbert

a good majority, are going to fall somewhere between good role player to good starter.

Danny Granger is a borderline All Star player, and Roy Hibbert...I thought was a borderline all star player (or will be)..and I haven't given up on him.

And then there's George. I think this core turns on how good George will be. George could be really special, but I think that won't be for a few years.

I've said before, I think we need another "borderline all star" type player, either at SG (Iggy)or PF, and if we get said player at SG, then we'll need an actual starter at PF. (I'd love it to be NeNe.

I'd like to see
Collison/Price
All Star SG/PG
Danny/PG
PF/Hans
Roy/Josh

next season

But regardless, I don't think our talent is bad. I think we have a lot of "good players" and no real star (yet, we'll see with George) so it doesn't look as good as it actually is.

judicata
01-24-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure its fair to compare the current roster to teams like the Clippers who have already blown their FA money load. We'll know more about our "core" once we turn Dunleavy and the rest of the awful contracts into players.

aaronb
01-24-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure its fair to compare the current roster to teams like the Clippers who have already blown their FA money load. We'll know more about our "core" once we turn Dunleavy and the rest of the awful contracts into players.

To be legitimate contenders with this "core". We will need to find 2 guys better than anyone currently on this roster.

Possible if we win the lotto and sign a top end free agent.

Trophy
01-24-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm excited to see what those 5 can do together under a new coach.

PacerHound
01-24-2011, 06:42 PM

JMHO

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I only hesitate a little on Granger for I am wondering if he is becoming so disenchanted he may want out. I have no way of knowing that but his facial expressions leave me to wonder. He does not seem a happy camper but then of course why should he?