PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Paul George and Tyler Hansbrough

O'Braindead
01-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Paul George- 7-10 from the field, 17 points, 2 steals, and a block in roughly 27 minutes

Tyler Hansbrough- 10-17 from the field, 27 points, 10 rebounds (5 offensive) in about 30 minutes

I just figured that this deserved some mention since they both had new career highs last night. Admittedly the team overall played a pathetic game for a fan's standards, but it is somewhat understandable given the conditions.

There are, I believe, two coaches that are downright pathetic in this league and they are Paul Westphal and Jim O'Brien as they both have histories of ruining young players.. Under those conditions, and and the fourth game of a road trip to go with the thin air, we were due for one of these. We were competitive all road trip which, I suppose for the time being, is all we can ask for.

Looking down the road, it seems as if as soon as next year Paul George will be able to take over the starting shooting guard spot, which is a very good thing for us considering the current lack of consistency from that spot from Mike and Brandon.

Tyler seems to have his work cut out for him as a very good fringe starter/6th man for us and that is a win as far as I am concerned.

Thoughts on these two guys?

xBulletproof
01-24-2011, 07:15 AM
It was a mixed bag on Paul George for me yesterday. His defense on Carmelo was average. Carmelo just had it going, and it was one of those days. Not much you could do but put a hand in his face, and Paul did that.

However my issue was on offense. He kept just fading to the corner and standing there too much for my liking. I wanted to see him make Carmelo work on defense. I wanted him to see a challenge and take it, going right at him. He did it on one possession. Carmelo made a move on Paul for a bucket, and when they came back down the floor George did the exact same move to Carmelo and scored on him just a few seconds later. I thought that was great.

George didn't get aggressive until the game was decided. He probably hit 4 shots in a row in the final couple minutes in garbage time.

BringJackBack
01-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Yeah, admittedly like xBulletproof said, George played a little scared vs. Melo and stood in the corner as if he was Brandon Rush, not to mention that he isn't ready to guard the likes of Melo just yet. Watch out though league.

The fadeaway that George put on Melo after Melo did it to him was too smooth.

As for Hansbrough, he was seemingly the only player who cared on the court. He played great, but we could have used it for another night.. It's ironic too that he got thirty minutes and the only other time he got that many minutes he got like 23 and 11. Once again though, tonight he was the only one who cared. That is somewhat embarrassing. Although I suppose I will buy the excuse of fourth game on a road trip, fatigue, etc..

ColeTheMole
01-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Like Quinn said during the game, him having to guard Melo when Melo had it going is good for Paul George. Get him acclimated.

travmil
01-24-2011, 08:58 AM
...not to mention that he isn't ready to guard the likes of Melo just yet...

Who exactly is ready to gueard Melo in this league? He makes a lot of players who are considered to be great on ball defenders look silly.

BRushWithDeath
01-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Who exactly is ready to gueard Melo in this league? He makes a lot of players who are considered to be great on ball defenders look silly.

B-b-b-but he's just barely better than Danny Granger and Granger's steal of a contract makes him the better value.

graphic-er
01-24-2011, 11:00 AM
It was a mixed bag on Paul George for me yesterday. His defense on Carmelo was average. Carmelo just had it going, and it was one of those days. Not much you could do but put a hand in his face, and Paul did that.

However my issue was on offense. He kept just fading to the corner and standing there too much for my liking. I wanted to see him make Carmelo work on defense. I wanted him to see a challenge and take it, going right at him. He did it on one possession. Carmelo made a move on Paul for a bucket, and when they came back down the floor George did the exact same move to Carmelo and scored on him just a few seconds later. I thought that was great.

George didn't get aggressive until the game was decided. He probably hit 4 shots in a row in the final couple minutes in garbage time.

He faded into the corner because thats the JOB system man. You'll see Rush and Posey do it as well. I'm surprised Quinn Buckner even opened his mouth about it. Cause he knows it too. The 5th option hangs out in the corner.

BRushWithDeath
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
He faded into the corner because thats the JOB system man. You'll see Rush and Posey do it as well. I'm surprised Quinn Buckner even opened his mouth about it. Cause he knows it too. The 5th option hangs out in the corner.

You are giving Buckner waaay too much credit.

Speed
01-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Best I can tell, it is what they are supposed to do. BRush does it too, not a bad idea for Brandon, since he's afraid to handle the ball, though.

I can remember early in the year other players telling PG to get deeper in the corner on certain plays, so I think it's what he's supposed to do. I'm almost certain.

I'd suppose its designed to spread the floor, seems like a waste of ability for PG, to me.

I'm okay with utilizing the corner 3, its just when you stand there for the full shot clock, it makes you easy to guard.

There's a set where DC is supposed to do this too or at least there used to be earlier this season.

Obie has a two guys in PG and DC who can do multiple things to put pressure on a defense and they decide to have them wait on a corner 3. You got me?!?!

Mackey_Rose
01-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Obie has a two guys in PG and DC who can do multiple things to put pressure on a defense and they decide to have them wait on a corner 3. You got me?!?!

That's the best shot in basketball. Every set should be designed to get a corner three.

You only have to make it 33% of the time to equal 50% from inside the arc. How many times does it need to be repeated? Three is worth more than two dummy.

You lesser basketball minds will never understand.

Speed
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
That's the best shot in basketball. Every set should be designed to get a corner three.

You only have to make it 33% of the time to equal 50% from inside the arc. How many times does it need to be repeated? Three is worth more than two dummy.

You lesser basketball minds will never understand.

I'm sure Jim can relay that information again in his exit interview in April.

Justin Tyme
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
they are Paul Westphal and Jim O'Brien as they both have histories of ruining young players..

Wanna get more explicit and back that that statement up? Who has O'Brien ruined and where is that player now? Did they fall out of the NBA? If you are referring to any Pacers player, I haven't seen any Pacer ruined. I see some that aren't playing to their potential under O'Brien.

Who did Westphal ruin?

If both ruin so many players, why have teams have hired them?

NuffSaid
01-24-2011, 12:58 PM
My hat goes off to both Hans and George. They played very well last night. Granted, Denver went to the 2nd-Unit once the victory was secured for them, but I think if it hadn't been for Hans and George the score would have been alot worse. I had this to say about both these players another thread here (link provided):

I think the biggest problems this Pacers team has right now is while most of the players really "want to win desperately", very few "believe" they can win! About the only players who come out and continue to push on either side of the ball are Hansborough and Paul George. No matter the score, whether winning or losing, whether the game is close w/the Pacers ahead or behind by a slim margin or their being blown away, these two players stay focused and keep fighting. And it doesn't matter who they come up against. They play every possession with the same level of passion and desire to perform their best and let the chips fall where they may.

I really hope we continue to see more of these two. I'd also like to see Jmac back on the floor. We don't have ANYONE who plays above the rim except Jmac.

daschysta
01-24-2011, 01:07 PM
George is so silky smooth. His talent is unreal.

oxxo
01-24-2011, 01:18 PM
B-b-b-but he's just barely better than Danny Granger and Granger's steal of a contract makes him the better value.

One great game against a disinterested team on the tail end of a back to back where he gets abnormally hot (from 3) does not make this untrue.

BRushWithDeath
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
One great game against a disinterested team on the tail end of a back to back where he gets abnormally hot (from 3) does not make this untrue.

You are right.

The last 5.5 NBA seasons make it spectacularly untrue.

Sookie
01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Best I can tell, it is what they are supposed to do. BRush does it too, not a bad idea for Brandon, since he's afraid to handle the ball, though.

I can remember early in the year other players telling PG to get deeper in the corner on certain plays, so I think it's what he's supposed to do. I'm almost certain.

I'd suppose its designed to spread the floor, seems like a waste of ability for PG, to me.

I'm okay with utilizing the corner 3, its just when you stand there for the full shot clock, it makes you easy to guard.

There's a set where DC is supposed to do this too or at least there used to be earlier this season.

Yea, DC passes it to the Center/Power Forward and runs to the corner

O'Braindead
01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Wanna get more explicit and back that that statement up? Who has O'Brien ruined and where is that player now? Did they fall out of the NBA? If you are referring to any Pacers player, I haven't seen any Pacer ruined. I see some that aren't playing to their potential under O'Brien.

Who did Westphal ruin?

Sure thing friend.

I believe that Jim has ruined Josh, Tyler, TJ Ford, and he ruined Samuel Dalembert. They are all now role players, and I believe that they could be significantly better had they not had to put up with Jim's contradictions, preferences in players, and rotations.

-Josh had to spend two years rotted on the bench until he got some playing time, and even then this year it isn't even close to deservedly enough. Seriously, how many starting power forwards usually play one half and then disappear for the rest of the game? Is that the norm?

-Tyler is going on 26 and he has rotted on the bench for the majority of his pro career despite being far and away our most skilled power forward for both season, as well as playing behind Troy once he got healthy last season. He will now always be known as a role player, despite being talented enough to be a fringe starter/6th man like a less athletic, but more skilled, Emeka Okafor (Without the shot-blocking).

-TJ Ford was a fringe starter when he got here. He is now one of the worst point guards in the game. That says something.

-Samuel Dalembert was a flat out nice player, and his problems with Jim are well documented. He has been a decent backup center since.

Not to mention that Roy has been on a downward slope since Jim, and other factors, got into his head.

In very recent past, Paul Westphal has ruined Jason Thompson and Spencer Hawes. Spencer was a very nice up and coming center and now he is done for. Thompson has been robbed from day one. He gave way too many privileges to guys like Tyreke Evans and Demarcus Cousins, a lot like Jim does with Danny and Mike, and now he is slacking off and having many problems with his game.

-Jason Thompson played 28 minutes per game in his rookie year followed up by 31 which is not enough for a starter. Now he plays 21 minutes per game and that most likely kills his value. Last year he had good value, and now many around here would be somewhat reluctant to trade him for Brandon Rush as I've seen on here.

-Spencer Hawes got to figure things out his rookie year at nineteen years of age. That's good form Westphal. Then he had a solid second year at twenty averaging 11.4, 7, 2, and 1. His third year his time dropped from 29 to 26 minutes a game and his value was killed. He got traded with Andres Nocioni for Samuel Dalembert for salary relief. Had he got consistent playing time all year despite his struggles he would be having a pretty nice year right now.

Teams have hired Jim because of Celtic ties with Bird, and that miracle dream appearance to the conference finals with Paul Pierce and Antione Walker.

Teams hired Paul in reminiscence of how well the Phoenix teams of the early 90's did.

CableKC
01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Out of curiosity......but has anyone with a Twitter account tweeted PG and congratulating him for his career game?

90'sNBARocked
01-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Who did Westphal ruin?

Ruined might be too strong of a word

but I would say he has had a very negative impact on the careers of Josh, Dahanty, and DC

Justin Tyme
01-24-2011, 05:31 PM
I believe that Jim has ruined Josh, Tyler, TJ Ford, and he ruined Samuel Dalembert.

This is the same Samuel Dalembert who couldn't play for the Canadian team. I suppose that was O'Brien's fault too. Dalembert has been away from O'Brien
6-7 years. If he was ruined by Jimmy why was he given such a large contract after O'Brien was gone?

I don't see O'Brien has ruined any young Pacer player. I could totally agree he has impeded their progress.

As far as Ford, Ford had problems in both Milwaukee b4 being traded to the Pacers. He was traded by Milwaukee and Toronto after losing his starting position to b/u. The trend continued as a Pacer for he lost his job to Jack in the 1st year as a Pacer. O'Brien had nothing to do with Ford's problems in Toronto and Milwaukee. Ford has problems of his own making. I won't disagree he doesn't fit in with O'Brien and his system thus compounding Ford's problems. IMO, Ford hasn't been ruined by O'Brien, he's just not a good fit for O'Brien.

I can't say much about Westphal, but he might be a negative for the development of Thompson, who I really like. As far a Spencer Hawes goes, I don't know, but he isn't playing better since being traded to Philly. He may just not be that good of a player. He's a very cerebral person, so I would believe if he has the talent getting away from Westphal's style shouldn't be a problem. If Westphal was indeed the problem.

ChristianDudley
01-24-2011, 06:52 PM
I want to thank Paul & Tyler, and I'll even give credit to A.J. (he had a decent game last night...at one point he had 4 assists and nothing else in the boxscore, but the good thing is he had NO turnovers at that point). At least these guys kept playing last night and never game up, nor have they ever given up this season at any point during any game. I know a lot of the players are giving up on the coach yet again already this season, but at least PG & Tyler still do work each game.