PDA

View Full Version : Realistic JOB replacement options...

Wylder1324
01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
So it seems the writing is finally on the wall that JOB will finally be out of here at latest come seasons end.....we already have a thread on who we DONT want.....and its been mentioned off and on guys we want......but not always in a realistic sense......so who do we want, that we could actually expect to have a shot at getting ?

hoops_guy
01-22-2011, 07:42 PM
We've been through this a lot, but Mike Brown or perhaps Bill Laimbeer please.

Pacers13Colts12
01-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Mark Jackson
Mike brown
Lawrence Frank

xBulletproof
01-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd go for Nate McMillan.

I've watched a ton of Portland over the years, and I I've liked what he's been able to do.

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Are there any coaches that we might be able to "Jerry Sloan", so to speak?

Sookie
I'm big on Bill L.

I think he could make Tyler into a beast..

Stuckey7370
I'm a fan of Mike Woodsen. He is from Indianapolis and went to IU. He helped rebuilt the Hawks. I know that he hasn't made it far in the playoffs, but at this point its just getting into the playoffs that is the issue.

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm a fan of Mike Woodsen. He is from Indianapolis and went to IU. He helped rebuilt the Hawks. I know that he hasn't made it far in the playoffs, but at this point its just getting into the playoffs that is the issue.

Personally, I hate everything about Woodson as a coach. His offense is all iso, and he's constantly had his talented teams get blown out in the second round.

Hawks fans hated him.

pwee31
01-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Mike Brown
Lawerence Frank
Bill Laimbeer
Sam Mitchell

Not saying these are my choices, but they're likely candidates

idioteque
01-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Are there any coaches that we might be able to "Jerry Sloan", so to speak?

Maybe Laimbeer. I don't have faith in Mike Brown as a big-time coach given the way he handled his time in Cleveland. I think you really have to gamble on a guy like Laimbeer if you want a real long term solution. A lot of the guys who are retreads are retreads for good reasons: they're effective where they coach only for short periods of time and then burn out.

sunsun
01-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Nate McMillan or Avery Johnson^^

aero
01-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Mike Brown would be the best fit really...Id like to see him be our coach in the future.

LA_Confidential
01-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Wave hello to our next Head Coach.

http://media.mlive.com/pistons_impact/photo/bill-laimbeer-23jpg-61fa51b9998a9dba_medium.jpg

spazzxb
01-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Mike Brown would be the best fit really...Id like to see him be our coach in the future.

So are people correct when they say he is a defensive coach who doesn't know anything about offense, or was this Lebrans fault? I really don't claim to know much about him but a lot of people said this and if its true it doesn't fix anything.

LA_Confidential
01-22-2011, 08:56 PM
So are people correct when they say he is a defensive coach who doesn't know anything about offense, or was this Lebrans fault? I really don't claim to know much about him but a lot of people said this and if its true it doesn't fix anything.

Mike Brown sucks. When their OC (I dont remember the guys name) left to coach the Pistons it was widely speculated that the offense would suffer, and guess what, it did.

Edit: John Kuester was the offensive assistant.

PacersPride
01-22-2011, 09:13 PM
I understand the reasons why some would want to bring Laimbeer here, but i do not think it will happen nor do I want it to. Laimbeer is a piston tried true and would prefer he not be brought in to coach the Pacers. Not too mention the fact Legend is not going to hire the guy whose a$$ he had to kick a few times back in his day.

I like the idea of Nate McMillen, sounds like a good coach. Mike Brown.. eh. Frank would be a good hire possibly, but would like to see Byron Scott walk out on the cavs and say enuff is enuff.. he put alot of stock in bron bron returning and got burned. the guy will want out of his contract desparately one would think.

Trophy
01-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Lawrence Frank.

CooperManning
01-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Lawrence Frank is a lock for the Celtics job if/when Doc Rivers retires at the end of the season, no?

PacerGuy
01-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Going off the board & out on a limd:

PATRICK EWING!

Has put in time as an assistant, has played & coached in up tempo & down tempo systems, could do wonders for Hibbert, & is in Larry's wheelhouse in age/being an aquaintences/ past competitor/ "friend".

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Harry and Larry.

For people who have read Larry's books, you would know what I'm talking about. :laugh:

Trophy
01-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Lawrence Frank is a lock for the Celtics job if/when Doc Rivers retires at the end of the season, no?

I don't think so.

PacersPride
01-22-2011, 09:27 PM

I would say no. considering the celts window is closing fast, the pacers job would seem like the one to take long term. KG, Allen, Shaq, JO, all have less than 2 seasons left, and Pierce is not far behind.

They will be rebuilding for 5 years after those guys are out; esp with a strict cba in place.? Rondo is good but always felt he was a little overrated, he has been playing with 3 future HOF's. had we chosen Rondo over Williams back in the draft Rondo would be an average pg, instead he is on the celts and is considered top 5.

pacers look like a better destination than the celts, of course it is boston and they are willing to spend the loot for FA's.

We should have the assets to attract a mid-high profile coach this time around.

HOOPFANATIC
01-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Five posts suggest Lawrence Frank, anybody got info? I'm not seeing it, other than rep.

Trophy
01-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Five posts suggest Lawrence Frank, anybody got info? I'm not seeing it, other than rep.

I like him because he works his players hard and has a pretty balanced system.

Pacersalltheway10
01-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Lester Conner

graphic-er
01-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Nate McMillian would be wise hire. He did a great job in Seattle, and when you look at the troubles Portland has had injury wise. He was done a great job there developing players to step in and still remain very competitive.

itzryan07
01-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Mike Brown sucks at coaching! He is just like JOB with an inconsistent lineup.
i hope Mark Jackson is the new coach.

itzryan07
01-22-2011, 10:06 PM
I would say no. considering the celts window is closing fast, the pacers job would seem like the one to take long term. KG, Allen, Shaq, JO, all have less than 2 seasons left, and Pierce is not far behind.

They will be rebuilding for 5 years after those guys are out; esp with a strict cba in place.? Rondo is good but always felt he was a little overrated, he has been playing with 3 future HOF's. had we chosen Rondo over Williams back in the draft Rondo would be an average pg, instead he is on the celts and is considered top 5.

pacers look like a better destination than the celts, of course it is boston and they are willing to spend the loot for FA's.

We should have the assets to attract a mid-high profile coach this time around.

i sort of agree with u. i use to say the same thing, rondo is only good because of the big 3. but last year when 1 of the big 3 went down, he would step in and have big games

speakout4
01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Put me down for Franks too.

Bball
01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
If the next coach were to be Mike Brown then why not just get him here now? I'd think he'd like the ability to analyze the roster with little pressure right now.

The FO would have to be pretty stupid IMHO to wait until after the season to hire Mike Brown.... assuming they want to hire Mike Brown. ..IOW... I'm thinking Mike Brown is not their target...

BobbyMac
01-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Well I don't want to see Larry Brown, I think he's through as an effective NBA coach.
I don't want to see Mark Jackson, I think there are reasons he's not been a coach yet.
I'm not sure from there, Byron Scott was my fav until I read about his recent problems getting his team to remember his complex offense. Most of the asst coaches that are touted as future great head coaches are busts. That's why so many ex head coaches are rehired by other teams. Mike Brown? Possible, I think he might make a good coach for the Pacers. I think he was put in a very hard situation trying to win with King James and his ego. But....what do I know.

Basketball Fan
01-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Nate McMillan is the only one I approve of at this point

Or whoever is the assistant coach of the Spurs because they seem to make the most of every player.

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, it wouldn't be smart to even consider Mark Jackson a head coach. The guy I'd love is Byron Scott; his offense is perfect for DC, our most effective player..I'c absolutely LOVE him as our new coach, but he's gone. :cry:

Here's my new list:

1. Laimbeer (I wish)
2. Mike Brown
3. Nate McMillan
4. Lawrence Frank

That's all I want.

Trophy
01-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Yeah, it wouldn't be smart to even consider Mark Jackson a head coach. The guy I'd love is Byron Scott; his offense is perfect for DC, our most effective player..I'c absolutely LOVE him as our new coach, but he's gone. :cry:

Here's my new list:

1. Laimbeer (I wish)
2. Mike Brown
3. Nate McMillan
4. Lawrence Frank

That's all I want.

That's who I would want too, but Frank is my top choice.

I'd be really happy if whoever is the head coach would add Mark Jackson and even Jeff Foster to their coaching staff.

Jackson would help DC out a lot and Jeff has helped Roy out.

littlerichard54
01-22-2011, 10:21 PM
I was really looking forward to Lester Conner being our coach by the all-star break this season, but that was before he left.

I'm not a big Lawrence Frank, or either of the Mikes (W or B) fan. I would really a Dwayne Casey, Mike Malone, Tom Thibodeau type name.

Stuckey7370
01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Personally, I hate everything about Woodson as a coach. His offense is all iso, and he's constantly had his talented teams get blown out in the second round.

Hawks fans hated him.

I agree with that, forgot about the iso offense. I think right now they need a coach to elevate them to the next level, which would be consistent playoff appearances before we can start worrying about them making the second round. I still like him over Mike Brown, Lawrence Frank, Bill Lambeer or anyone without even assistant experience (ie Mark Jackson).

I do like McMillin and Lester Conner. Where is Conner at now?

littlerichard54
01-22-2011, 10:59 PM
I do like McMillin and Lester Conner. Where is Conner at now?[/QUOTE]

ATL

graphic-er
01-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I do like McMillin and Lester Conner. Where is Conner at now?

He is an assistant in Atlanta.

spazzxb
01-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Mike Brown sucks at coaching! He is just like JOB with an inconsistent lineup.
i hope Mark Jackson is the new coach.

With peoples descriptions of him it sounds like a lot of people want a coach just like the one they hate. I don't get it.

jeffg-body
01-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Nate McMillan
Lawrence Franks
Mark Jackson

Hicks
01-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Mike Brown has been on my mind, but Bill Lambeer and Kevin McHale are intriguing.

graphic-er
01-23-2011, 01:55 AM
After tonights game, Nate McMillian convinced me he will be the best coach available this off season. I really hope the Blazers decide let to him go.

pwee31
01-23-2011, 01:57 AM
I would take Kermit the F$@%ing Frog right now!!

Over it!

TheDon
01-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Is a sack of potato chips an option?

tsm612
01-23-2011, 02:03 AM
We can draw a smiley face on a carrot and give it a clipboard.

ilive4sports
01-23-2011, 02:05 AM
My pet rock?

PacerGuy
01-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Maybe Lance or McRoberts can coach, they are always wearing suits anyway....

pwee31
01-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Couldn't Bird just call McHale and ask him for a favor.

Hey Kevin I need you to come in and finish out the season as head coach for me. If things work out I'll keep you after the CBA, if they don't we're still former NBA Champions

Foul on Smits
01-23-2011, 03:18 AM
Is Dick Versace still alive?

pacer4ever
01-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Couldn't Bird just call McHale and ask him for a favor.

Hey Kevin I need you to come in and finish out the season as head coach for me. If things work out I'll keep you after the CBA, if they don't we're still former NBA Champions

NBA TV gig is a **** ton better than as a head coach

Hoop
01-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Is Dick Versace still alive?
I don't know, I'd hire just his hair over JOB.

PacersPride
01-23-2011, 03:26 AM
highly doubt Bird makes an in season coaching change. and mchale does not want to coach this team..

how bout we get walton in here to coach, im sure he would do it for kicks

El Pacero
01-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Never said anything about it, try to be modest, but I coached my cousins 6th grade team. 10-8. Bring it.

Foul on Smits
01-23-2011, 03:32 AM
I'm probably reading too much into this, but Bird attended the game in Portland. Is he traveling with the team on this trip or just the Portland game? Maybe something is up here. There has to be something going down. I just cant see O'Brien making it back to Indiana after this Denver loss tommorow.

Foul on Smits
01-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Would Gene Hackman be interested?

PacersPride
01-23-2011, 03:38 AM
I'm probably reading too much into this, but Bird attended the game in Portland. Is he traveling with the team on this trip or just the Portland game? Maybe something is up here. There has to be something going down. I just cant see O'Brien making it back to Indiana after this Denver loss tommorow.

he attended the clipper game to begin the road trip. not reading that much into it.

xBulletproof
01-23-2011, 03:38 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jz1ZvOcmBQs" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Bball
01-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Would Gene Hackman be interested?

Too bad about Dennis Hopper... He could've been another option...

Bball
01-23-2011, 03:45 AM
he attended the clipper game to begin the road trip. not reading that much into it.

But isn't Bird attending road games at all rather odd or have I just not noticed it much before?

Foul on Smits
01-23-2011, 03:48 AM
But isn't Bird attending road games at all rather odd or have I just not noticed it much before?

I've never noticed him attending a road game. Maybe a Knick game or something?? Whens the last time he went on a road trip with the team?

imawhat
01-23-2011, 03:55 AM
I've seen him in LA three straight years. He always travels this time of year, I'm assuming to evaluate players before the trading deadline.

As for coach, how about James Posey? Hell, why not?

Dr. Hibbert
01-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Maybe Lance or McRoberts can coach, they are always wearing suits anyway....

I vote for Lance just because [hilarious reference to soliciting call girls here]!

spazzxb
01-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Mike Brown has been on my mind, but Bill Lambeer and Kevin McHale are intriguing.

I don't know much about Mike brown and only know what I have been told. Is he a better offensive coach than his rep?

Kegboy
01-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Tyrone Corbin
Mike Budenholzer

[edit] If we have to go the retread route, I'm fine with Mike Brown. I think the last six months have shown how f'd up Cleveland really was.

xBulletproof
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't know much about Mike brown and only know what I have been told. Is he a better offensive coach than his rep?

Hard to say. He coached a team with Lebron and ..... um Lebron? No telling what his offense would look like.

SMosley21
01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Tyrone Corbin
Mike Budenholzer

[edit] If we have to go the retread route, I'm fine with Mike Brown. I think the last six months have shown how f'd up Cleveland really was.

I would absolutely love to see us bring in Corbin. He has been getting rave reviews as an assistant in Utah.

I honestly think we really missed the boat this past off season. We should have fired O'Brien after last season and tried our hardest to get Monty Williams here. That's who I was lobbying for last season.

Justin Tyme
01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Tyrone Corbin
Mike Budenholzer

Either would be fine with me, since Bird dropped the ball on Monty Williams.

Adelman, Houston's coach, is an experienced coach I wouldn't mind seeing coach the Pacers.

spazzxb
01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Hard to say. He coached a team with Lebron and ..... um Lebron? No telling what his offense would look like.

I just don't understand why he is on the top of so many peoples list's. What has he done to impress people other than having James on his team. Is it just because he used to be with this organization and they kinda know who he is or is there something special about him?

I dislike LJ (the brand) enough that I am perfectly fine with misspelling his name.

McKeyFan
01-23-2011, 05:17 PM
People forget that Mike Brown was likely a key reason our team full of punks held it together for a few years.

Sixteen games into the season that Mike Brown was gone, our team completely blew up.

Hicks
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM

I'm not sure. He got blasted for that in Cleveland, but the bottom line was he got LeBron the ball, so I don't know what else was expected beyond maybe telling LeBron to post up more (which he never seems to want to do much of unless he feels he has to).

BringJackBack
01-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Portland's Nate McMillan deserves a lot of credit for this 1 cause he clearly out coached O'Brien. O'Brien failed to counter Nate's moves
about 14 hours ago via web

http://twitter.com/mikewellsnba

FWIW.. :shrug: I mean, he's clearly a huge upgrade over O'Brien.

Sandman21
01-23-2011, 05:42 PM
FWIW, I fully support El Pacero as our next head coach.