PDA

View Full Version : Who do you NOT want to replace JOB?

Kegboy
01-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Assuming the ESPN report is correct, we've got 3 months to wait before Jimmy is gone. Now, certainly there are a lot of variables involved, with the front office and the impending lockout, but assuming we do not renew Jimmy's contract, eventually we're gonna need to hire a new coach.

Of course, everyone has their own colorful opinions on who'd they rather be the coach than Jimmy (homeless man, lamp post, etc.) But while most everyone is adamant they'd take ANYBODY besides Jimmy, I think people would like to be a little more selective about who permanently takes the reigns.

So, let's fastforward to the end of the season. Jimmy is gone and he ain't coming back. The front office situation shakes out and TPTB (whomever they end up being) start a coaching search. You, as one of the few remaining people who will readily identify yourself as a Pacer fan, get one veto, and only one veto, to apply to said search.

Who, with every fiber of your being, do you absolutely, positively NOT want to be the next Pacers coach? Of course, if you really don't care, you really will take anybody, that's fine, say so. Naturally, you'll forfeit any right to criticize the next coach for the entirety of his/her/its tenure, but hey, at least it won't be Jimmy.

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Larry Brown

idioteque
01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Sam Mitchell

maragin
01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Jim Caldwell

pwee31
01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Jim O'Brien?

Kegboy
01-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Lawrence "Don't call me Larry" Frank

You know there had to be a reason for me starting this thread. I read somebody throw his name out today. I know a lot of people here like him, but he makes my skin crawl. Took over a two-time Eastern champion, won his first 13 games, and then didn't do a damn thing until he lost his last 16, except maybe blow the series against Detroit and cost us a crack at the imploding Lakers. Never even made it out of the second round, something even Jimmy's done. I just cannot stand the little twit, and I've never seen him do anything that made me think he deserves his wonderful reputation.

There, now I feel better. Now that I got that off my chest, who's yours?

Kegboy
01-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Jim Caldwell

:laugh:

Dr. Awesome
01-22-2011, 05:38 PM
No one could be as bad as O'Brien, but as far as the question goes, anyone who considers small ball a good idea.

SMosley21
Randy Wittman or Kevin McHale

kellogg
George Irvine

or

Dick Versace

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Randy Wittman or Kevin McHale

Why not McHale? Just curious.

McKeyFan
01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Jack Ramsey's son-in-law.

ballism
01-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Isiah Thomas. I'm mixed on Mark Jackson - would make some sense, and he's been in coaching rumors for years now, but I just want an experienced coach, even if it's a respected assistant somewhere.

SMosley21
01-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Why not McHale? Just curious.

I just don't want Bird bringing in another mediocre coach that he feels some emotional tie to and being forced to suffer through his loyalty to that coach again, even when everyone under the sun knows that coach should be fired.

I think McHale proved that he was a terrible coach/decision maker in Minnesota. He's got a career coaching record of 65-130, and an even worse reputation as a GM. I don't want him involved with our team in any facet.

Hoop
01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Mark Jackson

BlueNGold
01-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Another coach with snow white sideburns.

Peck
01-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Don Nelson

Rick Patino

Pacersalltheway10
01-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Any of job's coaching staff past or present

BlueNGold
01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Don Nelson

Rick Patino

So, you want a system that has some potential to be successful against good defensive teams in the playoffs?

If so, good choices.

Bball
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
After 4 years of O'Brien it's hard to be picky. He's really lowered the bar... He's been a lot closer to Isiah Thomas bad than I ever would've imagined. Anyone that would subscribe to the Jim O'Brien theory of basketball but would be off the list of potential hires. Other than that... anyone other than Jim O'Brien as the next coach is going to be hard to argue with...

Unfortunate really...

It's kind of the opposite situation as when Dungy left the Colts... They had their choice of coaches and really could've had almost anyone imaginable. That's part of the perception problem Caldwell faces... He just never would've been high on a lot of people's wish list for the gig.

Meanwhile, O'Brien has set the bar so low that just a change is going to be at least an initial breath of fresh air.

grace
01-22-2011, 06:45 PM
JVG

HOOPFANATIC
01-22-2011, 06:57 PM
George Irvine

or

Dick Versace

Dick Versace was the coolest coach we ever had. I remember he used to guest DJ on WTLC on Fridays. He was a sharp dresser like Chuck Daly and Pat Riley just had a jacked up hairstyle. Team got better every year under him and the players liked him. I thought he was very Chuck Daly like, defense became key. Detlef, Mychael Williams, and Mike Sanders were better defenders than many thought. Dick ended the season at .500 and was a game from knocking the Celtics out of the playoffs. I was pissed when he was let go cause we kind of flatlined regressed for the next two years under Bo Hill until Larry Brown came.

BTW I am with Kegboy 100% we do not need another guy who has coached losing teams but has a great reputation as having a keen basketball IQ.

DocHolliday
01-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Mike Dunleavy, the elder

spazzxb
01-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't want a "great defensive coach" who doesn't know much about offense. The team plays good defense now, so whomever we get had better be a good offensive coach. Thats how a lot of people around here described Mike Brown.

LA_Confidential
01-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Retread Coaches.

Basketball Fan
01-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Rick Patino

But if Rick were the coach Larry Bird would be walking through that door:D

Seriously many have been mentioned that I also agree I don't want here also like to add Byron Scott.

Trophy
01-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Lawrence "Don't call me Larry" Frank

You know there had to be a reason for me starting this thread. I read somebody throw his name out today. I know a lot of people here like him, but he makes my skin crawl. Took over a two-time Eastern champion, won his first 13 games, and then didn't do a damn thing until he lost his last 16, except maybe blow the series against Detroit and cost us a crack at the imploding Lakers. Never even made it out of the second round, something even Jimmy's done. I just cannot stand the little twit, and I've never seen him do anything that made me think he deserves his wonderful reputation.

There, now I feel better. Now that I got that off my chest, who's yours?

I like the guy and that's who I want to succeed Jim, but I don't know why he's not called Larry Frank. :laugh:

Hicks
01-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Anyone who was previously fired where I would agree that he deserved to go.

Shade
01-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Mike Davis

BlueNGold
01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Mike Davis

Mike Davis beats Kelvin Sampson...;)

littlerichard54
01-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Larry Bird

PacerGuy
01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
-Don Nelson
-Rick Patino
-Calvin Sampson

LA_Confidential
01-22-2011, 10:33 PM
PJ Carlisimo

OakMoses
01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Mike Davis beats Kelvin Sampson...;)

Not if you're talking about coaching ability...

Mine would be Avery Johnson, but I think we're safe there. I'd put Dunleavy Sr. On the list too.

vnzla81
01-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Larry Brown

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Not if you're talking about coaching ability...

Mine would be Avery Johnson, but I think we're safe there. I'd put Dunleavy Sr. On the list too.

If Dunleavy Sr. coaches the team I will never watch the Pacers

Trophy
01-22-2011, 10:59 PM
I forgot about Dunleavy Sr.

He's probably the last guy I want coaching this team.

Sandman21
01-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Kelvin Sampson (Now that's a hire that would send the Pacers literally to Las Vegas!)
Isiah Thomas
Jim O'Brien (The OTHER Basketball JOB)

Otherwise, its anyone but the moron we have now!

pizza guy
01-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Dunleavy, Sr.
Pitino
Frank
Mike or Larry Brown
Nelson
Zeke
Stan Van

Naptown_Seth
01-23-2011, 12:29 AM
McHale interests me and I'm on the fence for JVG to be honest.

There can be no way that Larry Brown, Isiah, Dun Sr, Pitino or Nelson are even on the radar in the least.

PacerGuy
01-23-2011, 01:39 AM
-JO'B Jr.
-JO'B III
-JO'B IV
-JO'B V.....

ChristianDudley
01-23-2011, 01:54 AM
I'd be willing to give ANYONE a chance now...even a random member here at PD, I'd give them a chance. This is getting out of hand.

Foul on Smits
01-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Candy

imawhat
01-23-2011, 04:01 AM
flox.

TMJ31
01-23-2011, 04:15 AM
Would not want Zeke back, that's for sure.

RWB
01-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Dick Versace was the coolest coach we ever had. I remember he used to guest DJ on WTLC on Fridays. He was a sharp dresser like Chuck Daly and Pat Riley just had a jacked up hairstyle. Team got better every year under him and the players liked him. I thought he was very Chuck Daly like, defense became key. Detlef, Mychael Williams, and Mike Sanders were better defenders than many thought. Dick ended the season at .500 and was a game from knocking the Celtics out of the playoffs. I was pissed when he was let go cause we kind of flatlined regressed for the next two years under Bo Hill until Larry Brown came.

I must have missed out with some heavy drinking during that time. :buddies::confused:

My memory is Q-Tip was not well liked by the players and Bo Hill was the one with the backup everyone's buddy rep. I'll give him credit for bringing much attention to Vietnam POWs.

Back to the question at hand, no more Celtic buddies.

pathil275
01-23-2011, 10:23 AM
A goat. Wait, that's a tough one. I have to think about that.

special ed
01-23-2011, 10:29 AM
WHy no love for Larry Brown? The guy would fly after two years and would love to coach the youngsters, which is what this team needs at this point.
Zeke and Sampson get my vote, but there's nothing to worry about as long as Bird is making the call.
Much as I've been a supporter of Bird, it might be best we just ride out the current coach because, otherwise, it's just gonna be a regurgitated member of Bird's good ole boys' club walking through the door.

Justin Tyme
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
If Bird is still here, NO ONE with Celtic ties!

I'm not an a avid believer in 3rd time is charm.

Justin Tyme
01-23-2011, 10:57 AM
otherwise, it's just gonna be a regurgitated member of Bird's good ole boys' club walking through the door.

I makes me ill just thinking about that!

PacerDude
01-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Mark Jackson.

We need someone with experience.

McKeyFan
01-23-2011, 06:32 PM
WHy no love for Larry Brown? The guy would fly after two years and would love to coach the youngsters, which is what this team needs at this point.
Larry Brown is why I became a Pacers fan.

I'd be willing to give him another shot.

pizza guy
01-24-2011, 01:43 AM
No love for Larry Brown because he's manic. Guys get in his doghouse and never come out. He shows up, coaches a little while, then jets, usually leaving you with a wreck. No thanks. After O'Brien's crazy ups and downs, what we need is stability, and Larry Brown is the opposite of stability.

Shade
01-24-2011, 06:24 PM
A goat. Wait, that's a tough one. I have to think about that.

I don't.

Goat all the way, baby!

grace
01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Is there a rule that there has to be a head coach? If a pick up game can be run without coaches why can't the Pacers? If there is a rule that there has to be one does it say he has to sit on the bench? Too bad the Mark and Slick don't sit courtside any more. Slick does plenty of coaching during a broadcast.

jhondog28
01-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Dont really quite understand all the hate on MDJ Sr. when he was just a coach he actually has done a pretty good job. He has won coach of the year and taken the talentless Clippers to the playoffs in god knows how long. I just dont get the hate. Probably because he has the last name Dunleavy.

speakout4
01-24-2011, 08:34 PM
David Stern
Phil or Mark Jackson
Avery Johnson
Anybody named Hill
Caliprari
Sampson