PDA

View Full Version : Denver rejects Knicks offer?

pwee31
01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/knicks_offer_for_melo_turned_down_UxFwXRfNPTJUZN5h PGsIfI?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

Could this be why the rumored Randolph deal didn't go through?

SAN ANTONIO -- A deal with the Nuggets appears to be, according to one source familiar with the situation, "problematic." But Knicks president Donnie Walsh still has a backup plan -- hoping Carmelo Anthony becomes a free agent, and the two teams working on a sign-and-trade during the summer.

A 1050 ESPN New York report stated the Knicks have been rejected by Denver on an offer this week of Wilson Chandler, rookie Landry Fields and a first-round pick the Knicks presumably can obtain for Anthony Randolph. If the report has merit, Eddy Curry's expiring contract would have been included in the package.

"Donnie doesn't want to give up five pieces in this," one source said.

Chandler was demoted from the starting lineup for last night's 101-92 loss to the Spurs and the conspiracy theorists say it's a precursor to his Knicks exit in an Anthony trade. Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said the demotion could be permanent, and creates uncertainty about Chandler's future one week after he fired his agent, Chris Luchey, and just two weeks after Walsh told The Post he planned to sign Chandler this summer.

However, a looming Denver deal won't be easy. Walsh sits in the driver's seat as long as the Nets stay out of it.

Looks like Chandler is who the Knicks are offering and not Gallinari.

Chandler, Fields, Curry's expiring and a 1st round pick they acquire for Randolph.

I really don't blame the Nuggets for turning that down, though there backs are against the wall. I think their management has handled this ordeal TERRIBLY!

Kstat
01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
It's embarrassing to the whole Nuggets organization that this was even offered.

SMosley21
01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Talk about a low ball offer. I would have rejected the deal too. The whole thing has turned into a fiasco, but that offer is just downright laughable. Regardless of the spectacle, Melo is still one of the most potent offensive weapons in the NBA.

Sookie
01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Denver better becareful, or they'll get nothing.

The Knicks don't have to do much. If they don't get him this season, he'll sign next.

vnzla81
01-22-2011, 04:46 PM
At this moment I just hope Melo pulls a Lebron and leave's them on the dust, :censored: Denver.

SMosley21
Denver better becareful, or they'll get nothing.

The Knicks don't have to do much. If they don't get him this season, he'll sign next.

But without Denver cooperating in a sign & trade, Melo won't get nearly the money that he's looking for.

Kstat
Carmelo still has $30-40 million to lose if he doesn't sign an extension. It's still highly likely that whatever team he gets dealt to will keep him in the long run.

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Carmelo still has $30-40 million to lose if he doesn't sign an extension. It's still highly likely that whatever team he gets dealt to will keep him in the long run.

Sources: Carmelo Willing To Wait, Sign With Knicks As Free Agent
More Knicks News
Wilson Chandler Fires Agent
Knicks Hope To Have New Leverage In Potential Anthony Trade
Nuggets Call Around NBA To Determine New Market For Carmelo
Walsh Will No Longer Discuss Carmelo With Media
New York Knicks Archive
RSS Feed | Twitter

Knicks Links
Knicks Home Page
Knicks Roster
Knicks Message Board
Find Knicks Tickets
Feedback or Suggestions
Jan 22, 2011 11:08 AM EST
Several sources close to Carmelo Anthony tell Chris Broussard that he is willing to play out the season and sign in New York as a free agent next summer, feeling that he can make up lost salary through endorsements.

With the belief that Anthony will end up signing with the Knicks growing, teams may back off their pursuit of the All-Star forward.

"Sources also say sentiment around the league that Anthony will sign with New York is so strong that many teams that have been willing to trade for Anthony as a rental are now reconsidering," Broussard writes.

The Rockets are thought to be a prime candidate to rent Anthony but if the team feels its chances of convincing him to sign an extension to stay in Houston are slim, it will not make a substantial offer to Denver.

Sources tell Broussard that the Knicks' timetable for trading Anthony Randolph may be pushed back by about one week with the Nets pulling out of trade discussions to acquire Anthony.

Minnesota and Indiana are the likeliest destinations for Randolph because both teams have an available first-round pick that the Knicks can use in a trade for Anthony.

But the Nuggets may be interested in taking Randolph for themselves.

Via ESPN.com
New York Knicks, Denver

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71268/20110122/sources_carmelo_willing_to_wait_sign_with_knicks_a s_free_agent/#ixzz1BnchE97f

SMosley21
01-22-2011, 04:50 PM

I think it would be great if Denver dealt him to a team that he had absolutely no desire to re-sign with, and that team also refused to do a S&T over the summer. Just so he would lose out on all that money. Serves these greedy mofos right for dragging their teams and fans through this crap.

CableKC
01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
It's embarrassing to the whole Nuggets organization that this was even offered.
Do you want to know another embarressment? The Nuggets FO for botching whatever deal they were negotiation for with the Nets. As far as we knew, the Nuggets were dealing with a super rich Owner that bent over backward to get Melo yet they messed it up somehow.

Now they have to accept a less then market value return for Melo when they could have gotten an overpaid price from the Nets.

Sookie
01-22-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't agree. Carmello has every right to play for what team he wants. And he was nice enough to tell Denver that he most likely will sign with another team, so that Denver has the opportunity to get something for him.

Yes, he loses a lot of money if there's no sign and trade. But he makes enough money that in the end, it probably won't be too huge of a concern.

Kstat
01-22-2011, 04:53 PM
This is hardly Carmelo's fault. The greedy ones in this fiasco have been the Nuggets.

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't agree. Carmello has every right to play for what team he wants. And he was nice enough to tell Denver that he most likely will sign with another team, so that Denver has the opportunity to get something for him.

Yes, he loses a lot of money if there's no sign and trade. But he makes enough money that in the end, it probably won't be too huge of a concern.

Im sry but he should of went to the GM in privte and not brought the media into it. That way the Nuggets could of got full value now they wont get nearly ne value.

speakout4
01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
This is hardly Carmelo's fault. The greedy ones in this fiasco have been the Nuggets.
Why are they greedy, because they don't want to be the Cavaliers ?

Kstat
01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
The Cavs let LeBron go for next to nothing because he never indicated he wanted out at all costs. Carmelo let his team know far in advance. The Nuggets had a chance to get a lot but wanted more.

Peck
01-22-2011, 05:04 PM
At this moment I just hope Melo pulls a Lebron and leave's them on the dust, :censored: Denver.

Normally you & I are on the same page but in this case I am not.

Why should Denver happily jump head first into being a bottom feeder? To the best of my knowledge they are not at fault in his desire to leave. They've offered the max contract to him and he doesn't want it, now through no fault of their own their franchise is about to go into oblivion once again.

If I were them I would either get exactly what I want or if I were going to lose him anyway then I would be willing to just get nothing as opposed to give him exactly what he wants and get stuck with something I don't want.

pwee31
01-22-2011, 05:08 PM
In all fairness to Carmelo, he has told the Nuggets from the start that he's not signing an extension there, and they've been holding out hope that he would have a change of heart.

I remember during the summer when Team USA was playing and it was being said the Nuggets were waiting for Billups to get back in hopes that Carmello would have a change of heart. Then they were waiting for him to get back around his team and teammates hoping that would convince him.

They've done NOTHING, even when Carmello has told them from day one he's not coming back, trying to allow them a plan of action.

I think Carmello is completely capable of just leaving them with nothing this summer, and not feel bad about it.

Folks talk about the money he'll lose, but he'll make all of that back plus some in endorsements in New York...on the Knicks

Kstat
01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Normally you & I are on the same page but in this case I am not.

Why should Denver happily jump head first into being a bottom feeder? To the best of my knowledge they are not at fault in his desire to leave. They've offered the max contract to him and he doesn't want it, now through no fault of their own their franchise is about to go into oblivion once again.

If I were them I would either get exactly what I want or if I were going to lose him anyway then I would be willing to just get nothing as opposed to give him exactly what he wants and get stuck with something I don't want.

I'm fairly certain any GM with at least half a brain would "want" Derrick Favors and 2 high-end 1st round picks. Let's not pretend the Nets were offering little.

No GM gets "exactly" what he wants in a deal, especially a deal involving a superstar. That's silly talk.

If the Nuggets jump head first into bottom feeder status with that king's ransom, they haven't done a good job building around him to begin with. I'd definitely say that's "their" fault.

Eleazar
01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Minnesota and Indiana are the likeliest destinations for Randolph because both teams have an available first-round pick that the Knicks can use in a trade for Anthony.

I sure hope it isn't the Pacers because Randolph is in no way worth a 1st round pick, maybe a couple second rounders, but hell no to a 1st.

bulldog
01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Hollinger made a strong case that they should just keep Melo:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-110121

That's a risk, obviously, and there's a chance the Nuggets wake up on July 1 with their best player as an unrestricted free agent who can leave them without compensation.

However, a few other factors mitigate that risk to a major degree:

First, as Ford pointed out in another recent piece, the Knicks don't have enough salary cap space to sign Anthony to a max contract, which means the door has been left wide open for the Nuggets to work out a sign-and-trade with New York in the offseason that brings back most of the same assets. In particular, the Knicks would have to renounce their rights to Wilson Chandler in any case, so it would make sense to put him into a sign-and-trade with the Nuggets.

Depending on what curveballs the new CBA gives us, including potentially a lower salary cap, the Knicks would also have to jettison another salary or two to fit Anthony into their cap, meaning the likes of Toney Douglas, Randolph or whomever the Knicks take with their first-round pick this year could also end up in the deal. In other words, the deal ends up being largely similar to the one currently on the table.

In other words, the Nuggets' worst-case scenario doesn't seem that bad. They could sign another big-dollar free agent -- say, David West -- have cap room left over to fill in any gaps (with a renounced Wilson Chandler being another potential target) and end up with a reasonable facsimile of the second-tier Western playoff team they currently have.

Finally, there's a third reason that the risk might not be as great as it seems: The next collective bargaining agreement could bail them out of this situation entirely, by allowing a team to place a "franchise tag" on its best player to block his exit. With such a stipulation, the Anthony drama could abruptly end. Depending on the particulars of the rule, he might get his max extension in Denver, and it might be business as usual for the Nuggets.

Kstat
01-22-2011, 08:10 PM
call me crazy, but david west or wilson chandler when you could have had favors and two lottery picks DOES sound bad.

Then again, Hollinger doesn't even watch basketball.

Tom White
01-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Why are so many angry with Denver over this whole thing? They have made a huge investment in Anthony over the years, and it seems all they are trying to do is protect the best interests of the team.

If you were in their shoes, would you have accepted that load of poop that NY offered? I wouldn't.

Listen, at this point Denver is bending to the wishes of the player as far as who they have talked to. I don't blame them for trying to maximize their end of the deal. I'd say :censored: Anthony.

Tom White
01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I think it would be great if Denver dealt him to a team that he had absolutely no desire to re-sign with, and that team also refused to do a S&T over the summer. Just so he would lose out on all that money. Serves these greedy mofos right for dragging their teams and fans through this crap.

I wish there was a button for multiple thanks for one post.

Tom White
01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Folks talk about the money he'll lose, but he'll make all of that back plus some in endorsements in New York...on the Knicks
What endorsements would he get that he can't get now? I just don't buy into that. Are more people going to know who he is because he is a Knick? Highly doubtful. That's just NY hype at its best.

Tom White
01-22-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm fairly certain any GM with at least half a brain would "want" Derrick Favors and 2 high-end 1st round picks. Let's not pretend the Nets were offering little.

No GM gets "exactly" what he wants in a deal, especially a deal involving a superstar. That's silly talk.

If the Nuggets jump head first into bottom feeder status with that king's ransom, they haven't done a good job building around him to begin with. I'd definitely say that's "their" fault.

I thought NJ pulled back, at least in part, because they were having second thoughts about his willingness to sign the extension. I also think they maybe finally realized that Anthony is no world beater. Good? Yes, but not great.

PacerGuy
01-22-2011, 09:13 PM

:confused:
So....,
If you ever decide that, for your own desire, the betterment of your family, a betterment of your quality of your life, for peace of mind, or for a new opportunity you desire, if you ever decide to leave your job/ school/ relationship for what ever reason you deem necessary, you support the full right of the current job/ school/ relationship to do whatever is in their power to hurt you - professionally, socially, finacially, and emotionally - just because they may want you to stay where you are, and they do not want to see you go? And you think this is reasonable?
Really?.....
Slavery ended years ago, & Mello & his family (like any of us) have the right to free will, to pick and whose who they wish to work for and where they choose to live and who they live with. Mello is not holding out, dishonoring his current contract, he is not keeping his plans secret so his current institution is caught off guard or ill prepared to deal with his "unexpected" departure. He is not being mean, spiteful or hurtful towards others. He just wants to go - go and start a new life, new opportunities, a new beginning. Something tells me he has earned that right, and you think he should be deprived of that right?
Really?.....
My friend, your comments are way off base. I can understand (to a point) because you are a "fan", & "fan" is shotr for "fanatic". Well, be it fanatic, manic, delusional, or disillusioned, they all fit IMO, and its rather sad. So while it is understandable (kinda), for you to be upset, it is no less sad, and against every princible this counrty was founded on.

(PS: he's only a man, playing a game, wanting you to like him - Get over it!) :D

speakout4
01-22-2011, 09:22 PM
:confused:
So....,
If you ever decide that, for your own desire, the betterment of your family, a betterment of your quality of your life, for peace of mind, or for a new opportunity you desire, if you ever decide to leave your job/ school/ relationship for what ever reason you deem necessary, you support the full right of the current job/ school/ relationship to do whatever is in their power to hurt you - professionally, socially, finacially, and emotionally - just because they may want you to stay where you are, and they do not want to see you go? And you think this is reasonable?
Really?.....
Slavery ended years ago, & Mello & his family (like any of us) have the right to free will, to pick and whose who they wish to work for and where they choose to live and who they live with. Mello is not holding out, dishonoring his current contract, he is not keeping his plans secret so his current institution is caught off guard or ill prepared to deal with his "unexpected" departure. He is not being mean, spiteful or hurtful towards others. He just wants to go - go and start a new life, new opportunities, a new beginning. Something tells me he has earned that right, and you think he should be deprived of that right?
Really?.....
My friend, your comments are way off base. I can understand (to a point) because you are a "fan", & "fan" is shotr for "fanatic". Well, be it fanatic, manic, delusional, or disillusioned, they all fit IMO, and its rather sad. So while it is understandable (kinda), for you to be upset, it is no less sad, and against every princible this counrty was founded on.

(PS: he's only a man, playing a game, wanting you to like him - Get over it!) :D
And you say this because poor Melo who keeps his freedom, can practice his craft, and can go wherever he pleases and makes many more millions of dollars than the rest of us can imagine might lose 30M or so?
Your compassion for the underdog brings me to tears.:D

pwee31
01-22-2011, 09:27 PM
What endorsements would he get that he can't get now? I just don't buy into that. Are more people going to know who he is because he is a Knick? Highly doubtful. That's just NY hype at its best.

It's not about people knowing him, that's obvious, it's about location. Why do you think players like going to bigger markets? There's more opportunity. Actors, musicians, models.. business people in general aren't going to Denver.

They're going to NY, LA, Chicago even. I don't see how that's all hype? Endorsements are more than shoe and clothing deals. It's businesses paying for you to appear here, appear there, be in this magazine, that magazine, have a cameo in this movie, shoot a role on this team show, sponsor here, sponsor there.

Just b/c you don't see all of the endorsements from your state or location, doesn't mean they're not there

PacerGuy
01-22-2011, 09:29 PM
And you say this because poor Melo who keeps his freedom, can practice his craft, and can go wherever he pleases and makes many more millions of dollars than the rest of us can imagine might lose 30M or so?
Your compassion for the underdog brings me to tears.:D

The money he makes is what everyone talks about, but is NO bearing on what his rights are. Mello will be rich where ever he goes, true, but that does not mean he doesn't have the right to free will, does it?
Again, if this was Jo Shmoe wanting to manage a pizza joint in NY vs. DEN because he wants to live in NY, would anyone care or hate?
(thought not)

speakout4
01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
The money he makes is what everyone talks about, but is NO bearing on what his rights are. Mello will be rich where ever he goes, true, but that does not mean he doesn't have the right to free will, does it?
Again, if this was Jo Shmoe wanting to manage a pizza joint in NY vs. DEN because he wants to live in NY, would anyone care or hate?
(thought not)
First he can go to NY; no question.
Second he is part of an organized system that requires some parity and therefore limits his mobility. Don't mix up his personal freedoms with his so called rights. To make a living we give up some personal choices such as you get a job with a national organization and they say Dallas and you say NY? You go into the military and they say iraq and you say California.
His personal freedom is no more violated than yours or mine.

CableKC
01-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Why are so many angry with Denver over this whole thing? They have made a huge investment in Anthony over the years, and it seems all they are trying to do is protect the best interests of the team.

If you were in their shoes, would you have accepted that load of poop that NY offered? I wouldn't.

Listen, at this point Denver is bending to the wishes of the player as far as who they have talked to. I don't blame them for trying to maximize their end of the deal. I'd say :censored: Anthony.
I don't disagree that the Nuggets should get the most out of moving Melo....what I ( as an NBA Fan and casual observer ) is irritated by...is that the Nuggets got ( what many think ) was the best offer that anyone can expect from the Nets ( 2 1st round picks, a top prospect along with Expirings ) WHILE pushing ( along with Melo's Agent ) the Nets into taking on Billups ( not bad ) and Rip Hamilton ( sort of bad )....then p*ssed it all away ( allegedly ) by asking the Nets to take on the the journeyman mistake that is Harrington ( and his $18 mil over 3 years contract ).

If any of this is in anyway close to the truth....the Nuggets asked the Nets to do everything that they wanted ( which the Nets Owner was more then willing to do DESPITE the rumored concerns expressed by Billy King and Avery Johnson that they were essentially overpaying for Melo ) just to land Melo...and then asked them to take on even more.

I have no problem with the Nuggets asking for a lot for Melo...I have a problem with them asking for a lot....likely getting the Nets to go along with it ...then go back and asking for them to take on more. The deal was already great for the Nuggets that seemed barely reasonable....then went back to the well to ask for more in return. That's plain stupidity if you ask me.

bulldog
01-22-2011, 09:49 PM
call me crazy, but david west or wilson chandler when you could have had favors and two lottery picks DOES sound bad.

Then again, Hollinger doesn't even watch basketball.

Probably shouldn't even respond to that, but here's his twitter feed, where he livecasts Hawks games: http://twitter.com/#!/johnhollinger. He's a solid analyst.

Anyway, he starts off by saying the Nets offer is best, but if it really is off the table, the Knicks offer will still be available in the sumer. It's a good point.

Pacerized
01-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I suspect that the deal with the Nets fell through more due to Melo not wanting to sign the extension with the Nets then with the Nuggets asking for too much. It was a really good deal for Denver under the circumstances however. At this point I don't see why the Nuggets would agree to a mediocre young prospect and a mediocre 1st. round pick. Melo gains a lot more in getting the additional 30-40 mil then the Nuggets do from the NY offer. They can probably get that much from a team willing to take the chance on a 1 yr. rental.
They should call his bluff and just let this play out and only offer the extension to stay with the team. I doubt if Melo would take that kind of pay cut just to play in NY regardless of what he says.

PacerGuy
01-22-2011, 10:03 PM
First he can go to NY; no question.
Second he is part of an organized system that requires some parity and therefore limits his mobility. Don't mix up his personal freedoms with his so called rights. To make a living we give up some personal choices such as you get a job with a national organization and they say Dallas and you say NY? You go into the military and they say iraq and you say California.
His personal freedom is no more violated than yours or mine.

-Limits are a non-issue, there is a place he wants & they want him.
-He is not being made to choose, nor does he have to, he has already chosen.
-His rights hase not been violated, but his choice to use those rights is being questioned/ attacked.

speakout4
01-22-2011, 10:08 PM
-Limits are a non-issue, there is a place he wants & they want him.
-He is not being made to choose, nor does he have to, he has already chosen.
His rights hase not been violated, but his choice to use those rights is being questioned/ attacked.
That's the fan's RIGHTS as well so what is the big deal?

PacerGuy
01-22-2011, 10:20 PM
That's the fan's RIGHTS as well so what is the big deal?

They/we all have the right to be disappointed, question motive, decessions, or acts, but we can not/ should not say he is doing anything "wrong", nor wish him "ill will" as the poster I quoted did. It was that content that I built my soap box on. I get annoyed when I see people say that because they don't understands the motives of an individual, or because of how much that individial makes, his rights are any less then what theirs are. If anyone of us were in his shoes, & were villified because we exersized our right to free will, were honest and upfront, yet were wished harm by others, we would be upset & hurt. Thats all.

LA_Confidential
01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I hope Melo just walks away in the summer into the open arms of NY, leaving the Nuggets like a bride at the alter.

He doesn't owe the Nuggets anymore than he's already given them. How quickly we forget how LUCKY they were to get him in the first place.

bulldog
01-22-2011, 10:25 PM
I hope Melo just walks away in the summer into the open arms of NY, leaving the Nuggets like a bride at the alter.

He doesn't owe the Nuggets anymore than he's already given them. How quickly we forget how LUCKY they were to get him in the first place.

For him to "walk into the Knicks arms," he would have to not only give up the extra extension only the Nuggets can offer under the current CBA, but he would have to sign for significantly less the max. The Knicks will not have the space to offer a max contract, especially if the salary cap is decreased under the new CBA.

That's something that I only recently learned and it does suggest that no matter what the Nuggets will get at least a few assets back for Melo. The Knicks will be forced into a sign and trade.

LA_Confidential
01-22-2011, 10:40 PM
For him to "walk into the Knicks arms," he would have to not only give up the extra extension only the Nuggets can offer under the current CBA, but he would have to sign for significantly less the max. The Knicks will not have the space to offer a max contract, especially if the salary cap is decreased under the new CBA.

That's something that I only recently learned and it does suggest that no matter what the Nuggets will get at least a few assets back for Melo. The Knicks will be forced into a sign and trade.

I dont buy this. If It were all about a max deal I think he would have jumped all over the extension the Nuggets offered in the first place. Dude wants out. One way or the other he's gonna get out.

bulldog
01-22-2011, 11:03 PM
I dont buy this. If It were all about a max deal I think he would have jumped all over the extension the Nuggets offered in the first place. Dude wants out. One way or the other he's gonna get out.

Mmm...not sure. I think he's signaled that he's willing to let the extension go, and that's why Prokorov backed out of negotiations: Melo said he's not going to the Nets.

But now we're talking about leaving millions more on the table. Not only is it a lot of money, but he could have his cake and eat it too if the Knicks just work out a sign and trade with the Nuggets in the summer. This also makes sense for the Knicks since they'd have to cut many of the pieces they're offering to the Nuggets to afford Melo. Seriously, read that Hollinger post I put up a while back, he really does make a compelling argument.

The central point is that this weak Knicks offer will still be around in the summer, and while it's not nearly as good as the Nets offer, if Melo has his mind set on the Knicks that's the best they're going to get. On the other hand, a sign and trade makes sense, so they're almost guaranteed to get something.

Kstat
01-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Give me derrick favors and 2 good drack picks over "something."

You think the cavs wished they had traded lebron last season?

wintermute
01-23-2011, 05:28 AM
Hollinger made a strong case that they should just keep Melo:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-110121

That's a good bit of insight by Hollinger.

What he missed though is that the Knicks could also clear the necessary cap space without Denver's cooperation, by sending some of those assets to an under the cap team. Could end up benefiting a team like the Pacers.

clownskull
01-23-2011, 10:38 AM
I sure hope it isn't the Pacers because Randolph is in no way worth a 1st round pick, maybe a couple second rounders, but hell no to a 1st.

plus, i think we are gong to get a good pick. i definitely see a top 10 pick coming our way. i don't think he is worth a lottery pick.

HC
01-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Nothing about playing in the NBA is a right, it is a privilege. These players need to take a look at their lives compared to the rest of us, and put up or shut up.

Justin Tyme
01-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't disagree that the Nuggets should get the most out of moving Melo....what I ( as an NBA Fan and casual observer ) is irritated by...is that the Nuggets got ( what many think ) was the best offer that anyone can expect from the Nets ( 2 1st round picks, a top prospect along with Expirings ) WHILE pushing ( along with Melo's Agent ) the Nets into taking on Billups ( not bad ) and Rip Hamilton ( sort of bad )....then p*ssed it all away ( allegedly ) by asking the Nets to take on the the journeyman mistake that is Harrington ( and his $18 mil over 3 years contract ).

If any of this is in anyway close to the truth....the Nuggets asked the Nets to do everything that they wanted ( which the Nets Owner was more then willing to do DESPITE the rumored concerns expressed by Billy King and Avery Johnson that they were essentially overpaying for Melo ) just to land Melo...and then asked them to take on even more.

I have no problem with the Nuggets asking for a lot for Melo...I have a problem with them asking for a lot....likely getting the Nets to go along with it ...then go back and asking for them to take on more. The deal was already great for the Nuggets that seemed barely reasonable....then went back to the well to ask for more in return. That's plain stupidity if you ask me.

This is what happens when daddy fires his FO and lets sonny run the show.

Sookie
01-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Nothing about playing in the NBA is a right, it is a privilege. These players need to take a look at their lives compared to the rest of us, and put up or shut up.

Carmello is one of the best players in the world. Is he lucky because he got that talent, yes he is..but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of the best players in the world, and earned the right to be in the best league in the world because of it.

xIndyFan
01-23-2011, 04:03 PM
jmo, but i think denver believes hollinger is correct. they are not stupid. they can see the cap numbers for next year. and most important, they know what david stern will settle for in the CBA negotiations. so they are trying to get maximum value in a situation where they will lose value in almost any trade they make. derrick favors and 2 firsts are a nice trade, but probably not. melo is a top 10 player. odds are favors and whoever they draft won't be top 10 players. so denver needs to max out the deal to minimize their losses.

melo has a long history of being a show-me-the-money kind of guy. given that the max contract next CBA could be about $12M instead of the $15 or $16M it would be if he signed an extension. melo has a huge incentive to sign now. no one, except maybe an NBA owner, walks away from $30M. denver has to be pretty sure that, unless they make mello mad, he will go with the money.