PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird, get your a## on the bench then !

Foul on Smits
01-22-2011, 05:32 AM
I'm tired of this junk. Bird expects to make the playoffs this year? Then i read reports about how the Pacers plan to let JOB go after the season? No assistants suitable to take over for O'Brien? Ok Larry. You've built this team. You've let the mess that is Jim O'Brien run it.. no where. It's time for you to back this playoff/3 year plan talk up. Why have a lame duck coach for the second half of the season? A season that you expect to end in the playoffs. If JOB is gone next year, why cant he be gone now? Bird needs to step up. I dont care if he's not coming back next year or not. But this is what Bird built. It's time he comes out of the cozy confines of the luxury offices in conseco and coaches this team. You want them in the playoffs, coach them to the playoffs. Because they are not getting to the playoffs with Jim O'Brien at the wheel.

So tired of this ****.

PaceBalls
01-22-2011, 05:43 AM
:picard:

Bird isn't going to coach the team...

ilive4sports
01-22-2011, 05:54 AM
How many times am I saying this tonight? Bird isn't going to coach.

Mr_Smith
01-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Been there done that..... and it was from 1997 to 2000. Its not happening again. Have a good day

d_c
01-22-2011, 10:41 AM
He had some health issues that made quit coaching fairly soon. Being 10 years older than he was when he last coached probably doesn't improve the likelihood.

CircleCity3318
01-22-2011, 12:07 PM
He has even came out and stated that he's done coaching so I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is.

Peck
01-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Bird will never coach again.

However I certainly understand why this post was made. It's nothing more than saying you made this mess and instead of letting us all have to set through the rest of a lost season because you also screwed up by letting him hire sychophants as assistance and not making sure there was someone else capable of stepping in (especially if you were unhappy with last season) they he needs to do what he has to do to get through this.

It's never going to happen but I understand the thought process.

McKeyFan
01-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Bird wasn't a great coach so much as Carlisle was (and, to a lesser extent, Harter).

I give Bird credit for picking two great assistants. But if Larry had to use our current assistants, I don't think he'd be a very good coach. jmo.

Justin Tyme
01-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Bird will never coach again.

However I certainly understand why this post was made. It's nothing more than saying you made this mess and instead of letting us all have to set through the rest of a lost season because you also screwed up by letting him hire sychophants as assistance and not making sure there was someone else capable of stepping in (especially if you were unhappy with last season) they he needs to do what he has to do to get through this.

It's never going to happen but I understand the thought process.

Dolan made Zeke coach his mess and Glen Taylor? had McHale coach is creation, but Bird will NEVER coach this team! For the 1,001 time, Bird isn't EVER going to coach again! W/o a doubt in my mind if given the choice of having to coach the Pacers or quit, Bird would go home get out is golf clubs, fishing gear, and head to Florida to enjoy the nice weather b4 coaching again.

Justin Tyme
01-22-2011, 05:43 PM
if Larry had to use our current assistants, I don't think he'd be a very good coach. jmo.

This is why Jimmy is still the coach, no one qualified to to take over or be of the quality to help Bird as Carlisle and Harter did. Jimmy was smart as fox when hiring his ast coaches. I believe someone called it creating his own job security.

01-23-2011, 12:07 AM
How cute, he used little pound signs.

http://kikolani.com/images/challenges.jpg

beast23
01-23-2011, 12:25 AM
This is why Jimmy is still the coach, no one qualified to to take over or be of the quality to help Bird as Carlisle and Harter did. Jimmy was smart as fox when hiring his ast coaches. I believe someone called it creating his own job security.Well, what you state appears to be true... get rid of anyone capable of stepping in for you in your absence and it certainly becomes a lot more difficult for you to be replaced.

But at this point, I believe the Pacers are just alienating more fans game by game and also causing their players to grow more weary with each passing game.

The Pacers aren't going to replace JOB at this point, at least that is probably what 99% of us are 99% sure of. So, I am now open to a little "outside the box" thinking.

It has been a lot of years since the NBA has seen a player/coach. I think it has probably been done a game here and a game there over the last 25 years after a head coach has been tossed from a game. But certainly not for an entire season like with Bill Russell following Auerbach's retirement.

Many here do not appreciate Dunleavy as a player, but some of those same folks probably still appreciate that despite his physical limitations he does have a pretty decent basketball mind.

So, without any other candidates in hand, I propose that Mike Dunleavy complete the year as a player/coach. I think Dunleavy would probably see the need to play himself fewer minutes, which might please many of you. Additionally, I think Dunleavy would be in tune with the players, their complaints and their needs/wishes and shift to a more traditional method of offense.

If nothing else, it would make the Pacers relevant throughout the league. We would become a topic of conversation and a curiosity. And, with Dunleavy at the helm, would have a hell of a lot more fun and probably fair no worse than with what's-his-arse running the asylum.

Edit: By the way, this proposal was just for the completion of this season.

Foul on Smits
01-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Some of you dont understand what i'm saying here. I'm not saying Bird will or wont coach, i'm just saying. Dont hold a press conference saying you expect this team in the playoffs and in the same presser and through other sources, imply that O'Brien will get replaced next year. Why have a lame duck coach for the rest of a season that you expect to end in the playoffs? This **** dont make sense to me.

So i feel like " Look if you expect this team in the playoffs, axe JOB now and come down and coach them to the playoffs. Otherwise it's not happening. ". This team cant even hold off the Bobcats, Bucks or Sixers right now.

Also, ryheathco, I used the pound sign because i assumed it would get blocked anyways. 2006 would like to thank you for the motivational poster, post.

beast23
01-23-2011, 01:08 AM
Some of you dont understand what i'm saying here. I'm not saying Bird will or wont coach, i'm just saying. Dont hold a press conference saying you expect this team in the playoffs and in the same presser and through other sources, imply that O'Brien will get replaced next year. Why have a lame duck coach for the rest of a season that you expect to end in the playoffs? This **** dont make sense to me.
Bird has said nothing of the sort. Bird has simply stated that the front office is displeased with the resutls thus far.

And, I like it. I believe turn about is fair play. JOB takes his players to task in the press; I'm please that it has finally happened to him as well.