PDA

View Full Version : FO not happy with JOB? Morway's replacement Kevin Pritchard?

Pacerfan
01-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Discord in Indiana/Trade chatter
By Chris Broussard
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/24117/discord-in-indianatrade-chatter

Indiana Pacers brass is not pleased with the performance of head coach Jim O'Brien, according to several league sources.

That said, O'Brien, who is in the last year of his contract, is likely to remain as coach the rest of the season. Part of the reason is that no one on O'Brien's staff -- Dan Burke, Frank Vogel, Jay DeFruscio, Vitaly Potapenko Walter McCarty -- is viewed as a suitable replacement.

One complaint about O'Brien is the strange way he divvies up minutes: Tyler Hansbrough plays 36 minutes one night, posting 23 points and 12 rebounds, and just 23 the next; Paul George plays 21 minutes one night, four the next.

GM David Morway could also be in trouble after the season, and league scuttlebutt has former Portland GM Kevin Pritchard as a likely replacement. Pritchard was close to being hired as the replacement for Rod Thorn in New Jersey, but the Nets, of course, settled on Billy King.

Teams reconsider trading for Melo

The Knicks' timetable for trading Anthony Randolph could be pushed back a week or so because of New Jersey's pulling out of the Carmelo Anthony chase, sources said.

The likeliest trading partners for Randolph have been Minnesota and Indiana, both of whom would take him for a first-round pick that the Knicks in turn would put in a trade package for Anthony. But there's a possibility the Nuggets may be interested in Randolph as a player.

Sources also say sentiment around the league that Anthony will sign with New York is so strong that many teams that have been willing to trade for Anthony as a rental are now reconsidering. For instance, the Rockets have long been willing to deal for Anthony without his signing a contract extension, hoping they could convince him to stay in Houston long-term. But if the Rockets feel their chances of convincing him are slim, they're not going to offer much, if anything.

While Anthony certainly wants to sign the three-year, $65 million contract extension with the Knicks, several sources close to the Nuggets superstar tell me he's willing to play out the season in Denver (or Houston, etc.) and sign with New York as a free agent, even if it means taking less money under the new collective bargaining agreement. Anthony understands he can make up at least some of the money in New York through endorsements.

Even if it doesn't get Anthony, the Rockets are expected to make a move. Carl Landry is available in Sacramento and the Rockets do have interest in bringing him back to Houston.

Despite the Cavaliers' poor record, lots of teams are interested in their players, viewing them as guys who can play a solid role on a contending team. If a Cavalier is moved, it's likely to be Anthony Parker.

pacer4ever
01-21-2011, 11:58 PM
:ohyeah:

hoops_guy
01-21-2011, 11:58 PM
I'll just be happy.

:citizenkane:

presto123
01-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Maybe there is something to this Pritchard stuff? It would be like coming home for him. He was born in Bloomington and lived in Noblesville up until about 8th grade. I didn't know what happened to him around here until I caught the Kansas Jayhawks on TV and I was like......I know that guy.

pizza guy
01-22-2011, 12:08 AM
I wonder if there's any new information behind Morway "being on the hot seat" or if it's just stemming from Pritchard being around the Pacers. It could easily be seen that way, or it could be like the first article reported, that Bird and Pritch are friends and Bird likes to talk basketball with other basketball minds...

Interesting. It seems like Bird has been in control, and he definitely gets the credit/blame for the decisions made. Seems strange to me that Morway would be in trouble since Bird is the one who seems to be in charge.

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 12:08 AM
What has David Morway done to be in "trouble" for next season?

Sandman21
01-22-2011, 12:09 AM
This is the first notion of anything I've heard about Morway being on the hot seat......

Dr. Awesome
01-22-2011, 12:09 AM
The blind kid from dumb and dumber would be a suitable replacement.

ilive4sports
01-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Thats interesting to hear about Morway. I wonder if he is really in trouble, or if they really want to bring Pritchard in.

And they are unhappy with JOB? HALLELUJAH!

pwee31
01-22-2011, 12:12 AM
O'Brien was smart to get rid of Lester Conner, and bring in inexperienced NBA coaches/former players as replacements, as he likely would be unemployed

rock747
01-22-2011, 12:16 AM
So when O'brien catches wind of this, how does that affect his coaching?

presto123
01-22-2011, 12:18 AM
So when O'brien catches wind of this, how does that affect his coaching?

You haven't even SEEN rotations yet:dance:

Professor S
01-22-2011, 12:18 AM

I'd happily hire Billy Enforcee.

Aw Heck
01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
The only reason I can think of for Morway supposedly being on the hot seat is the firings of Mel Daniels and Sam Perkins. That is just pure speculation on my part. But I definitely remember when Mel Daniels, who had been with the Pacers for YEARS, was fired, it was speculated that he had a lot of disagreements with someone in the front office. Maybe it was Morway. Maybe not. I can't think of any performance reason why Morway would be on the hotseat, so maybe it's due to turmoil behind the scenes.

Though if that's the case, Pritchard doesn't have the reputation to change that. At the very least, it seems like Larry and Kevin get along.

d_c
01-22-2011, 12:20 AM
What has David Morway done to be in "trouble" for next season?

Might have more to do with Pritchard simply being available.

Trader Joe
01-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Bird to the bench. Morway to President of Bball operations. Pritchard to GM.

ilive4sports
01-22-2011, 12:22 AM

One can dream... But I don't see Larry returning to the bench.

pacer4ever

i wish

Mackey_Rose
How many times do we have to read national unbiased experts tell us that our coach is not that talented before some of you actually start believing it?

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 12:25 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.. I'd love for Pritchard to be here. I always considered it a pipe dream such as the idea of having Bird coach again or Byron Scott coach us.

BlueNGold
01-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Maybe there is something to this Pritchard stuff? It would be like coming home for him. He was born in Bloomington and lived in Noblesville up until about 8th grade. I didn't know what happened to him around here until I caught the Kansas Jayhawks on TV and I was like......I know that guy.

Kevin was a couple grades below me at Noblesville. He and his family were very good friends of my best friend (and neighbor) in grade school.

To say the least, I was shocked that he became a star player at Kansas because he never seemed like an athlete.

I posted this in another thread, but here is his 6th grade pic:

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/mnm654321/Scan0001.jpg

Sandman21
01-22-2011, 12:27 AM
At the very least, it seems like Larry and Kevin get along.
They were briefly teammates at the end of Larry's career.... and Pritchard does have the Hoosier roots......

Bball
01-22-2011, 12:35 AM
There's always the chance that Pritchard replacing Morway is speculation based on him being around the team on this road swing... and that Bird is actually setting Pritchard up to replace himself. Or Morway replaces Bird and Pritchard slides into Morway's current seat... and Bird walks (or flies) away.

If I was the owner of this team I'd fire anyone that supported Capt Contradiction.

CableKC
01-22-2011, 12:35 AM
I'd settle for Morway and Pritchard to manage the FO.

One more thing about Pritchard....during his tenure running the Blazers FO.....he wasn't the "brains" behind the BRILLIANT Salary Cap / Financial management of the roster...it was some other guy....I don't know his name...but he was credited for the way that he helped Pritchard manager the SalaryCap until he left ( which was one of the main reasons why they were able to make a lot of serious moves to position themselves in Playoff Contention years ago ).

If Pritchard comes to Indy.....I want that other guy as well.

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

IMHO...I'd LOVE to see what Pritchard could do with at Team like Indy on the brink of a total fresh start from a SalaryCap POV with copious amounts of Capspace and a young core to build around. No disrespect to Morway...but I think that Pritchard has a reputation around that league that may give the Indy FO a boost in the "respectability" department.

Freddie fan
01-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Not happy with JOB?!?

http://www.american-buddha.com/ghostbust.221b.gif
http://www.american-buddha.com/ghostbust.221c2.gif
http://www.american-buddha.com/ghostbust.221e.gif

CableKC
01-22-2011, 12:47 AM
+100 for the Ghostbuster reference. All we need now is for MR to photoshop a picture of the Simons, JO'B and some random PD member that has been calling for JO'B to be replaced for the last 2 seasons.

Hoop
01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
JOB's "strange way he divvies up minutes" has been happening for 4 freaking years what took so damn long for the FO to give a :censored: .

Heisenberg
01-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Meh, this seems like Broussard rummaging around Pacers Digest after he found out Pritchard was on the road trip. I just don't have a very high opinion of Chris Broussard.

Psyren
01-22-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm not sure why I have this feeling, but I truly feel Pritchard will be here next season. Something just makes me feel that this is the perfect fit.

presto123
01-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Kevin was a couple grades below me at Noblesville. He and his family were very good friends of my best friend (and neighbor) in grade school.

To say the least, I was shocked that he became a star player at Kansas because he never seemed like an athlete.

I posted this in another thread, but here is his 6th grade pic:

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/mnm654321/Scan0001.jpg

What is your name? What year did you graduate from NHS. I was good friends with Scott Haffner when I was younger used to stay over at his house all the time. As I posted in another thread Kevin and I once tied for the win in a free throw shooting contest at Boy's Club so I knew he was a good shooter anyway. Don't remember him on the Junior High School teams though.

Hicks
01-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Interesting. Certainly encouraging on the JOB front, though I'm a little confused by the Morway stuff.

As for Pritchard, I'm a little uneasy since he didn't exactly become a lifer in Portland after having what I thought was a pretty good reputation for the moves he made, but I'm not too worried about him being arrogant because, frankly, that might be a breath of fresh air for this franchise as long as it's not too bad (though I realize it may be). We could use some super-confidence to help get us back to where we were a decade or so ago through a more aggressive approach.

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 01:27 AM
IMO, if Pritch is brought here, than this changes the whole landscape of the NBA draft for us for years to come. One things for sure, he'll make so many draft day trades that he will make our heads spin. That's probably a good thing considering his past success.

Pacerfan
01-22-2011, 01:29 AM
This story's timing is also pretty interesting. It seems like the front office is sensing the growing disenchantment among the fans and wants it to be known that it WILL be different next year. Especially that it will be a new coach. Something that the fans can hang onto till next year rolls around. Stories like this don't just magically get into ESPN's hands....someone has to have said something to someone who got it to ESPN.

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 01:33 AM
The likeliest trading partners for Randolph have been Minnesota and Indiana, both of whom would take him for a first-round pick that the Knicks in turn would put in a trade package for Anthony. But there's a possibility the Nuggets may be interested in Randolph as a player.

Chris is saying that we would give them the first for Randolph as a "for sure, obviously" type thing. Interesting.

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 01:34 AM
This story's timing is also pretty interesting. It seems like the front office is sensing the growing disenchantment among the fans and wants it to be known that it WILL be different next year. Especially that it will be a new coach. Something that the fans can hang onto till next year rolls around. Stories like this don't just magically get into ESPN's hands....someone has to have said something to someone who got it to ESPN.

David Morway? :shrug: I'm not sure.

Pacerfan
01-22-2011, 01:41 AM
David Morway? :shrug: I'm not sure.

Would make sense except the whole part about him getting replaced unwillingly? I don't know who else would have leaked it?

PR07
01-22-2011, 01:48 AM
I don't think Morway is on the hot-seat. Isn't he one of the more up and comers of basketball execs? As for Pritchard, it would make sense that he'll end up taking some basketball operations role with us

I'm not surprised on O'Brien, just surprised it took this long.

jcouts
01-22-2011, 01:57 AM
I'm not sure if Pritchard has any role with Indy in his future...BUT, I really believe that a good portion of Bird's sudden buddy-buddy with Pritchard involves Bird's potential interest in getting Nate McMillan in Indy as our head coach next year.

I have no facts, links or connections...just a hunch.

Dr. Awesome
01-22-2011, 02:02 AM
Interesting. Certainly encouraging on the JOB front, though I'm a little confused by the Morway stuff.

As for Pritchard, I'm a little uneasy since he didn't exactly become a lifer in Portland after having what I thought was a pretty good reputation for the moves he made, but I'm not too worried about him being arrogant because, frankly, that might be a breath of fresh air for this franchise as long as it's not too bad (though I realize it may be). We could use some super-confidence to help get us back to where we were a decade or so ago through a more aggressive approach.

I don't quite understand what your saying. Jim O'Brien might be the most arrogant *** on the face of this Earth...and while I love Larry "So, who's going to come in second?" Bird, arrogance is right up his alley as well.

I'm not against acquiring Pritchard, but I think a lot are viewing him for his Portland moves, and quite frankly, most of those were because he had the bank of Paul Allen backing him up. I do believe he is good at spotting talent, but all those late round picks he got his steals with, won't be available at will here.

Peck
01-22-2011, 02:05 AM
If this is true, which I really see nothing here to substantiate that it is true, but let's just say it is then I have mixed emotions.

1. Relief in hoping that he won't be back next season.

2. More than a little bit of anger as a season ticket holder knowing that they were not happy with him last year, allowed him to fire the one coach who could have replaced him this season and expecting us all to be happy with him coaching the team the rest of this season.

Again that is using the assumption that the front office is not happy with him, I'm not sure I believe that or not yet.

Bball
01-22-2011, 02:30 AM
....knowing that they were not happy with him last year, allowed him to fire the one coach who could have replaced him this season and expecting us all to be happy with him coaching the team the rest of this season.

My thoughts exactly.... And with the caveat that we don't know if the report is really true... but if it is...

xIndyFan
01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
The only reason I can think of for Morway supposedly being on the hot seat is the firings of Mel Daniels and Sam Perkins. That is just pure speculation on my part. But I definitely remember when Mel Daniels, who had been with the Pacers for YEARS, was fired, it was speculated that he had a lot of disagreements with someone in the front office. Maybe it was Morway. Maybe not. I can't think of any performance reason why Morway would be on the hotseat, so maybe it's due to turmoil behind the scenes.

Though if that's the case, Pritchard doesn't have the reputation to change that. At the very least, it seems like Larry and Kevin get along.

in the reporting about the daniels and perkins' firings, morway was said to be hard to work with. and hasn't there been some purging of long term pacers front office types since morway was hired??? it may be as simple as morway irritating enough people to get simon or bird to do something. just a guess.

Kegboy
01-22-2011, 10:16 AM
:dance::dance::dance:

I don't care if it's crappy ESPN supposition, love seeing Jimmy's face on the front of HoopsHype.

:yay2:

purdue101
01-22-2011, 10:18 AM
If this team falls out of the playoff race w/o a chance of getting in, I hope Bird fires JOB to make a point to the man, as opposed to waiting until summer.. I don't care if there are only a few games left in the season, put your foot down and show him his performance was sub par to say the least.

ksuttonjr76
01-22-2011, 10:33 AM
TO JOB Courtesy of Bill Engvall:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9Je8jTXlkdU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Unclebuck
01-22-2011, 10:40 AM
How many times do we have to read national unbiased experts tell us that our coach is not that talented before some of you actually start believing it?

well done. i think you and almost everyone misunderstands my thoughts about JOB. I NEVER THOUGHT THERE WAS A CHANCE HE WOULD BE BACK NEXT SEASON AND i Didnt think he should be brought back this seasons

Justin Tyme
01-22-2011, 11:00 AM
O'Brien was smart to get rid of Lester Conner, and bring in inexperienced NBA coaches/former players as replacements, as he likely would be unemployed

This is turning into another soap opera. The Pacers FO KNEW if they had to fire Jimmy in the middle of the season there was no ast coach capable of taking over. This is nothing more than smoke n mirrors feeding the fans what they want to hear about TPTB are now finally unhappy with Jimmy's coaching. Who in the heck allowed Jimmy to hire who he wanted as ast coaches? The buck stops at Birds desk! Bird's allowed this whole thing to turn into a soap opera from his not having the stones to be a manager of his employee Jimmy. This hands off the coach and let the coach do his job tripe with no interference is just what the problem is. You reap what you sow!

When Bird is spotted with someone who is it? Yet another Celtic connection. Bird has done what needed to be done. He changed the culture of the Pacers and has waited out the expirings, so the team can move forward. With a record of 120-165 at a 41% winning record, it's time he and his clown HC to mosey on down the road, and let someone else take the Pacers to the next level. The Pacers need a more experienced GM that is more capable than the present leader, and I'm using leader in loose form to describe Bird. A fish smells from the head down, and Bird is the head of the FO.

For some reason, I always felt Morway was a Simon man. Like others, what has Morway done wrong? Can this be nothing more than a play to get KP into the GM position by Bird? AGAIN, this is a just another soap opera unfolding.

It's pretty bad when I have more enthusiasm looking at the daily box scores and standings of other teams than I do the Pacers each morning! After last night, the Bucks are now tied with the 76ers only 1/2 game behind the Pacers for 8th place.

BlueNGold
01-22-2011, 11:06 AM
What is your name? What year did you graduate from NHS. I was good friends with Scott Haffner when I was younger used to stay over at his house all the time. As I posted in another thread Kevin and I once tied for the win in a free throw shooting contest at Boy's Club so I knew he was a good shooter anyway. Don't remember him on the Junior High School teams though.

Ha. 1984. I'm sure we know each other. I will PM you.

Scott was such a nice and humble guy...for being one of the best basketball players to ever come through NHS. I was not a basketball player or much of an athlete for that matter, but I did play on Haffner's 5th grade team at the same Boy's Club. He was at basketball camp the first three games (which we lost)...but when he came back we won the rest of the games and the tournament...;)

I probably played more baseball against Scott who wasn't a bad pitcher either.

Trophy
01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I like David Morway, I thought he did a decent job with Bird.

I just hope Bird stays, which is sounds like he will.

Kevin Pritchard isn't a bad replacement for Morway though.

I really hope we go out and hire Lawrence Frank and maybe if Pritchard is the new GM, we might go after Nate McMillan if he's let go by Portland.

PacerPenguins
01-22-2011, 11:45 AM
pritchard did a greaat job in portland so i hope he comes here

Merz
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM

All he'd do is stroke Larry's ego...

"Who's a Pretty Bird, Pretty Bird, can you say Pretty Bird?"

McKeyFan
01-22-2011, 11:48 AM
This is turning into another soap opera. The Pacers FO KNEW if they had to fire Jimmy in the middle of the season there was no ast coach capable of taking over. This is nothing more than smoke n mirrors feeding the fans what they want to hear about TPTB are now finally unhappy with Jimmy's coaching. Who in the heck allowed Jimmy to hire who he wanted as ast coaches? The buck stops at Birds desk! Bird's allowed this whole thing to turn into a soap opera from his not having the stones to be a manager of his employee Jimmy. This hands off the coach and let the coach do his job tripe with no interference is just what the problem is. You reap what you sow!

When Bird is spotted with someone who is it? Yet another Celtic connection. Bird has done what needed to be done. He changed the culture of the Pacers and has waited out the expirings, so the team can move forward. With a record of 120-165 at a 41% winning record, it's time he and his clown HC to mosey on down the road, and let someone else take the Pacers to the next level. The Pacers need a more experienced GM that is more capable than the present leader, and I'm using leader in loose form to describe Bird. A fish smells from the head down, and Bird is the head of the FO.

For some reason, I always felt Morway was a Simon man. Like others, what has Morway done wrong? Can this be nothing more than a play to get KP into the GM position by Bird? AGAIN, this is a just another soap opera unfolding.

It's pretty bad when I have more enthusiasm looking at the daily box scores and standings of other teams than I do the Pacers each morning! After last night, the Bucks are now tied with the 76ers only 1/2 game behind the Pacers for 8th place.
I'm thanking the first paragraph.

McKeyFan
01-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Couldn't we hire Lester Conner away from Atlanta to take over the reigns midseason?

I know he's under contract, but my impression is that GM's will often accommodate an assistant under such circumstances to help him get his first break as a head coach.

McKeyFan
01-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Just throwing out different ideas here:

Maybe Morway has been the big JOB backer the last couple of years and really pushed Larry to extend the contract. Maybe Larry is finally fed up with both of them.

:whoknows:

vnzla81
01-22-2011, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't mind Kevin as long as he stays away from drafting players with knee injuries.

Larry Staverman
01-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Indiana Pacers brass is not pleased with the performance of head coach Jim O'Brien, according to several league sources.

You had me at not!!

wintermute
01-22-2011, 12:13 PM
One more thing about Pritchard....during his tenure running the Blazers FO.....he wasn't the "brains" behind the BRILLIANT Salary Cap / Financial management of the roster...it was some other guy....I don't know his name...but he was credited for the way that he helped Pritchard manager the SalaryCap until he left ( which was one of the main reasons why they were able to make a lot of serious moves to position themselves in Playoff Contention years ago ).

If Pritchard comes to Indy.....I want that other guy as well.

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

That was former Portland assistant GM Tom Penn, who was known to be KP's right hand man. He was fired last year, in what most people thought (correctly) was a precursor to KP's ousting. He's with ESPN now, I believe.

PacerPenguins
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
i say there is a 50% chance that if we dont win 2 of our next 6 games JOB will be gone.

McKeyFan
01-22-2011, 12:41 PM
i say there is a 50% chance that if we dont win 2 of our next 6 games JOB will be gone.
I say there is a 100 percent chance that JOB has lost a bunch more games than he's won the last four years, and he is still here.

Eindar
01-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Wait...New Jersey passed over Pritchard for BILLY KING?

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 01:03 PM

No Pritchard didnt want to work for the Russian owner something about Russian spies(not joking) and not enoght control over the team

idioteque
01-22-2011, 01:24 PM
This is all very interesting. Hopefully it is just the first of many national reports that JOB will be out at the end of the year. And his dick head arrogance is just further confirmed by axing Conner at the beginning of the year. What a horrific despotic move that shows yet again JOB is all about JOB and really doesn't give a **** about the franchise. Happy trails, dick. Enjoy these last months of NBA head coaching because no one, no one is going to ever hire you again for more than an interim basis.

Bringing in Pritch would just be icing on the cake. But this is all very interesting, why is all the accountability with Morway and none with Bird? As another poster mentioned yes Pritch would not have Paul Allen's wallet, but he would have capspace.

Justin Tyme
01-22-2011, 01:40 PM

YEP!!!!

I'm not sure how well the Nets new owner and King are getting along after the Melo debacale. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see King not finish out his contract with the Nets.

Justin Tyme
01-22-2011, 01:46 PM
This is all very interesting. Hopefully it is just the first of many national reports that JOB will be out at the end of the year. And his dick head arrogance is just further confirmed by axing Conner at the beginning of the year. What a horrific despotic move that shows yet again JOB is all about JOB and really doesn't give a **** about the franchise. Happy trails, dick. Enjoy these last months of NBA head coaching because no one, no one is going to ever hire you again for more than an interim basis.

Bringing in Pritch would just be icing on the cake. But this is all very interesting, why is all the accountability with Morway and none with Bird? As another poster mentioned yes Pritch would not have Paul Allen's wallet, but he would have capspace.

No, Lester was fired after last season, and Jimmy then brought in 2 former players as ast. Weren't they both Celtic players when he coached?

Great question about accountability for Morway and none for Bird. Bird seems to have a coating of teflon around him.

Doddage
01-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I think Morway is a very good GM, so I don't know how I'd feel if Pritchard took over.

Day-V
01-22-2011, 01:50 PM

Big Gulps, huh? Alright!

Welp! Cya later!

ilive4sports
01-22-2011, 02:08 PM

Post of the year!

Dr. Awesome
01-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Post of the year!

Agreed.

speakout4
01-22-2011, 03:30 PM
That said, O'Brien, who is in the last year of his contract, is likely to remain as coach the rest of the season. Part of the reason is that no one on O'Brien's staff -- Dan Burke, Frank Vogel, Jay DeFruscio, Vitaly Potapenko Walter McCarty -- is viewed as a suitable replacement.

This has got to be the lamest excuse I have heard yet for not replacing JOB. If the FO made up it's mind that they are better off without Jim then nothing should get in the way of easing him out.

Hard to believe that no one within the organization can't step in for a few months.

Justin Tyme
01-22-2011, 04:11 PM
[B]

Hard to believe that no one within the organization can't step in for a few months.

You think they didn't realize when Jimmy hired his asts that none were really capable of coaching if necessary? Bird knew or if he didn't he's less FO material than I think he is. So why now with almost 1/2 the season gone are they now unhappy when they were not unhappy the 1st 3 years with Jimmy's sucky record of 104-142? Ownership and Bird shot themselves in the foot by picking up Jimmy's 4th year, and then not making sure there was a qualified ast that could take over if necessary. One blunder compounded by another blunder! No wonder I refer the FO offices as the Puzzle Palace.

Day-V
01-22-2011, 04:15 PM

I'll do it. I think I could do a better job than JOB at this point.

grace
01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Since Larry put this mess together why don't they just make him coach the team? I doubt his health is so bad he can't do it for half a season.

Bball
01-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Here is the thread about Conner's firing/leaving as well as talk about McCarty's hiring...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=53998&highlight=conner+fired

pwee31
01-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I think this was the most important part of that Conner thread

Conner not returning to the Pacers

THE `BURBS - Lester Conner's three-team tour with Jim O'Brien has come to an end.

Conner won't get a new contract with the Pacers, according to multiple sources. His current contract ends June 30. Conner was also an assistant under O'Brien in Philadelphia and Boston.

The beginning of the end for Conner, though, came as he stood in the hallway outside the Pacers locker room on the night of Feb. 2.

Conner, who was filling in for O'Brien (death in the family), was asked during the pregame media session how much of O'Brien's coaching style he planned to take with him if he ever becomes a head coach.

"Umm, not a whole lot," Conner told reporters at the time.

Jeff Van Gundy heard about Conner's comments and lit into him on the air during a nationally televised game between Boston and Orlando.

What made matters worse for Conner is that O'Brien heard every word Van Gundy said because he was watching the game, according to sources.

That was just one strike.

Conner was given the authority to make any changes necessary for the Pacers to beat the Raptors.

Well sort of.

O'Brien said he planned to start a small lineup the rest of the season before the Jan. 31 game at Toronto.

"Our starting lineup is our small lineup for the rest of the year because with Jeff (Foster) and Tyler (Hansbrough) out for I don't know how long, we're so thin at the big spots that it doesn't make sense to try to force-feed something," O'Brien said that night.

The Pacers started small and ended up being beat by 15 points that night north of the border.

The Pacers played the Raptors two nights later in Conseco Fieldhouse.

Conner made changes - like he was told he could do - and the Pacers scored a then season-high 130 points in a 15-point win.

Coach says he's starting small the rest of the season, team loses by 15 points. Assistant takes over for a game, starts big and team wins by 15 points.

What also made Conner's situation even more bizarre is how it was handled.

I recently asked O'Brien where Conner was after I didn't see him at one of the pre-draft workouts.

O'Brien's response was that Conner was on "vacation."

Vacation as the team prepares for its highest pick in more than 20 years?

It's uncommon for lead assistants to miss pre-draft workouts.

O'Brien is already looking to add another assistant to his staff.

Louisville coach Rick Pitino posted on his website Wednesday that Walter McCarty will interview with the Pacers "sometime next week."

O'Brien was an assistant at Kentucky when McCarty played there. O'Brien later coached McCarty in Boston.

O'Brien could promote a current assistant to the lead role or look outside the franchise, possibly to a former head coach.

The Pacers should probably have a coach with a lot of experience be the lead assistant so they can turn to him in case O'Brien doesn't make it through next season.

twitter.com/wells222 I'm not sure if a link is still required, b/c the page cannot be found anymore. O'Brien may not be good at rotations, but he seems to be pretty good at knowing ways to keep his job

Sookie
01-22-2011, 06:33 PM
That doesn't make O'brien sound like the nicest person..

indygeezer
01-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Hmmm Pritchard as GM and Larry Brown returns as coach. ;)

But I think it's all speculation because of his hanging around the team of late. I believe the line about LB liking to talk to other bball minds. LB learned from DW and so would NEVER be so public with his intended new hire.

Now the return of Brown (my idea....pure fun) :happydanc

BlueNGold
01-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Wow. This is worse than I thought. It looks like blatant retaliation that everyone in the organization had to know about. Apparently he now has a full stable of yes-men towing the line. I knew the dude was brought in for discipline, but goodness...

Sandman21
01-22-2011, 10:56 PM
I'll do it. I think I could do a better job than JOB at this point.

Join the growing list......:D