PDA

View Full Version : Paul George Top 5 in ROOKIE PER

beezer615
01-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Shout out to all the stat lovers... good report on our first rounder....

What no one is mentioning is that Paul George actually is showing well when it comes to statistical comparison to his fellow rookies. George ranks only behind Blake Griffin, John Wall, and Ed Davis in PER for those who have played substantial time at 15.45 rating. If that doesn't sound that great, also take into effect that Danny Granger leads the Pacers with 17.5.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/rookies/rankings
http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/ind/cat/PER/indiana-pacers

Even got a shoutout from Bill Simmons during the Pacers-Clips outing.

@SportsGuy33 "Blink Test on Indy's Paul George: that dude has an NBA body/glide/polish to him. Can see why @chadfordinsider + scouts were gushy about him."

hoops_guy
01-21-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm suprised Simmons didn't make a snarky remark about how Paul George is the first non-white player to be drafted here or something ridiculous to just shake us off.

Anyways, George is the real deal. He'll come along much better next year. He'll have a lot of games where he simply can't miss from three. George will "bomb away" like Kobe, Tracy, or Reggie (i'm not comparing them, yet) used to or like JR Smith does now. That doesn't mean he's a chucker at all, but he'll have those crazy shooting nights.

For those who may have been semi-worried about Paul George's bad shooting percentages in Summer League, preseason, and early in the regular season, his shooting percentage now stands at .451 which is pretty impressive.

Using per36 stats, which is actually a useful stat compared to +/-, "our record when player XXX plays is XXX" etc., he averages 14.6 points a game as well as two assists, 2.3 steals, and seven rebounds. With significant improvement and a common sense coach next season, I believe that he is going to have some pretty big-time games next year.

I've been sold for a long time. I can't put into words how glad I am that he is an Indiana Pacer.

sportfireman
01-22-2011, 12:39 AM
I think George will make Danny expendable next season.

Blink
01-22-2011, 12:46 AM
I think pg is gonna be special

ilive4sports
01-22-2011, 01:12 AM
I think George will make Danny expendable next season.

Why not keep both?

Naptown_Seth
01-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Paul's defense is great, and when he's sure of the play on offense he's very silky and athletic. I can see him being a better offensive player than Granger or Rush.

I was standing behind my choice for Anderson and Armon Johnson, but it's getting pretty tough to do.

ilive4sports
01-22-2011, 01:18 AM
Paul's defense is great, and when he's sure of the play on offense he's very silky and athletic. I can see him being a better offensive player than Granger or Rush.

I was standing behind my choice for Anderson and Armon Johnson, but it's getting pretty tough to do.

But thats at least a good thing to eat crow on.

Sookie
01-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Why not keep both?

Exactly, Paul George defended Chris Paul and Monte Ellis well. He's quick enough to stay in front of fast shooting guards...keep him at shooting guard with Danny at SF.

Pacerfan
01-22-2011, 01:41 AM
Exactly, Paul George defended Chris Paul and Monte Ellis well. He's quick enough to stay in front of fast shooting guards...keep him at shooting guard with Danny at SF.

Think of what a nightmare it will be for other teams to guard an improved Paul George, Granger, and an improved Collison....pretty nice wing/backcourt.

ilive4sports
01-22-2011, 01:51 AM

Exactly. He can guard SG's in the NBA. He's just a big SG, thats all. And that can only help us since he is fast enough to guard someone like Monte Ellis. George and Granger together can be a great combo. Screw Double D's, we got Double G's... And I know that was terrible.

AesopRockOn
01-22-2011, 03:32 AM
Don't tire him out or put too much pressure on him or anything, but, yeah, as someone who was weary of him playing more than spot minutes earlier in the year, I say play him. As much as possible without doing the aforementioned mistakes. It's not like there's a whole lot else to look forward to these ****ing seasons.

sportfireman
01-22-2011, 05:27 AM
I'm not saying trade him but I think George will be so good that he will make Danny tradeable......

ilive4sports
01-22-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm not saying trade him but I think George will be so good that he will make Danny tradeable......

I get what your saying, but I don't think its smart, unless we get a great deal out of it. I'd rather keep both and target West in the offseason for our PF.

special ed
01-22-2011, 09:30 AM
so...with a coach who really digs deep regarding stats, why has George had such a hard time getting off the bench??
Must be a statistic our coach ignores?

xIndyFan
01-22-2011, 10:19 AM

:iagree:

paul and danny give the pacers excellent size at the swing spots. no chance little SG like ellis can guard either of these guys in the post. and paul can just shoot mid-range jumpshots over them easily. not saying paul george is kobe bryant, but he will have that same size advantage that will enable him to take the same kind of shots bryant used to take before his knees limited him.

plus brandon rush makes an excellent 3rd swing player.

:dance::dance:

Merz
01-22-2011, 01:01 PM

I thought Patrick Patterson was who you wanted.

SMosley21
01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
I was literally praying for Paul George as we sat at the Draft party. The girl I was with was laughing her butt off when she saw my reaction when we picked him. I could not have been happier that night.

xBulletproof
01-22-2011, 01:36 PM
I was literally praying for Paul George as we sat at the Draft party. The girl I was with was laughing her butt off when she saw my reaction when we picked him. I could not have been happier that night.

I did the same and my GF laughed at me too. I posted on Facebook that I couldn't have been happier. A radio personality in Indy asked me if it was sarcastic because he thought it was a horrible pick. I've been debating asking if he watches the games and has changed his mind yet.

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 01:40 PM
I thought Patrick Patterson was who you wanted.

uggh :laugh:

LA_Confidential
01-22-2011, 01:41 PM
The question is, Will he be the guy down the stretch? Will he be the guy that closes out games for us? That is something our team lacks at the moment. A guy who can "put the nail in the coffin".

I hope so.

righteouscool
01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
The question is, Will he be the guy down the stretch? Will he be the guy that closes out games for us? That is something our team lacks at the moment. A guy who can "put the nail in the coffin".

I hope so.

Well, for what it's worth. He did make an awesome reverse layup to win a summer league game in the closing seconds.

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 01:44 PM

I hope so.

Now possible, but in 2 years for sure he will be the closer

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Well, for what it's worth. He did make an awesome reverse layup to win a summer league game in the closing seconds.

still have that game saved on my DVR u should of seen my reaction. We came back from like 20 down to win that over the great Luke Harngody and the C's

righteouscool
01-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I hope he does summer league next year. It'll be cool to see how much he's improved. He couldn't get his shot to drop in SL and he's already improved with his ball handling.

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I hope Hibbert does Summer League too to gain his confidence back. That would actually be a great idea.

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I hope Hibbert does Summer League too to gain his confidence back. That would actually be a great idea.

no way in hell Hibbert does SL

pacer4ever
01-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I hope he does summer league next year. It'll be cool to see how much he's improved. He couldn't get his shot to drop in SL and he's already improved with his ball handling.

he will do it

LA_Confidential
01-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Id like to see Paul, Lance, and Magnum as well as AJ and Tyler on the summer league squad with what ever rookie(s) we have. Not so sure about Roy. I think he needs to get in the gym to add strength.

SMosley21
01-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Paul has improved his handles immensely since the Summer League. It really shows that he is just cracking the surface on his ability, to have gone from a downright horrible ball handler, to have at least average handles within the span of 6 months.

xIndyFan
01-22-2011, 03:36 PM
totally on board with this. paul george will be the best player in his draft class by the time they are off their rookie contracts. one more in the larry bird column.

sportfireman
01-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I get what your saying, but I don't think its smart, unless we get a great deal out of it. I'd rather keep both and target West in the offseason for our PF.

I'm not saying trade him for scraps..... I see I'm being misunderstood...:rolleyes:

Sookie
01-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Why is everyone so enamored with West?

vnzla81
01-22-2011, 04:11 PM

Nobody knows :whoknows:

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 04:11 PM

Firstly, he's an all-star level guy. Secondly, Collison and West would be one of the best pairs of PnR guys in the league, no doubt.. He'd be the "balance" in our offense. I would love to get him, but I am starting to warm up to the idea of picking up Nene who has something like a .640 fg% and he's a defensive force with a quick first step.

BringJackBack
01-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Nobody knows :whoknows:

So you wouldn't take an all-star and someone who compliments Hibbert? Okay.

SMosley21
01-22-2011, 04:18 PM

He just bucks anything that seems to be the popular decision around here. That's why I have him blocked :dance:

vnzla81
01-22-2011, 04:20 PM

That's is the issue, he doesn't complement Hibbert.

vnzla81
01-22-2011, 04:23 PM
He just bucks anything that seems to be the popular decision around here. That's why I have him blocked :dance:

So according to this now I like JOB?:confused: ...................... :growup:

:growup:

hoops_guy
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
:growup:

:potkettle:

xBulletproof
01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
As much as it pains me, I agree with vnzla to an extent. West compliments Hibbert on offense, yes. I'd rather have someone who compliments him on defense.

Sookie
01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
West scores a lot, but he's not the great defensively, is undersized, and quite frankly..is a bit of a black hole on offense.

I didn't think about the PnR with Collison, but I'm more concerned with our PF fitting in with Roy and Danny, then with Collison. I think we can teach Tyler and Josh to be great PnR players.

SMosley21
01-22-2011, 05:34 PM
West scores a lot, but he's not the great defensively, is undersized, and quite frankly..is a bit of a black hole on offense.

I didn't think about the PnR with Collison, but I'm more concerned with our PF fitting in with Roy and Danny, then with Collison. I think we can teach Tyler and Josh to be great PnR players.

I think Tyler is already well on his way. My hope is that he develops enough by the end of this season that we don't need to go out and obtain a West/Nene/Z-Bo type, and can use our money elsewhere (QUALITY backup/fringe starting C, SF, and another good PF).

brewpopps
01-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Seems to me everyone is overlooking Landry Fields, a SECOND ROUND pick by the Knicks out of Stanford. He's won back to back rookie of the month awards, leads the KNicks in plus/minus (a stat that OB seems to follow like a religion) and was a four year player out of college (maturity).
Some would say he benefits from D'Antoni's coaching, but maybe, just maybe, Donnie found another gem?
So far this guy is the best rookie. Long term, maybe George but coaching benefits these guys as much as talent.

xBulletproof
01-22-2011, 06:10 PM
The only thing Landry Fields has on Paul George is more playing time, and a system that inflates numbers.

Per 36 Paul George is still better.

brewpopps
01-22-2011, 06:25 PM
The only thing Landry Fields has on Paul George is more playing time, and a system that inflates numbers.

Per 36 Paul George is still better.Say all you want, but for a second round pick to be putting up those numbers it's darn impressive. And more PT goes directly to coaching, but enough has been said around here about our coach.
Paul George will never get "Per 36" with OB's adoration of whatever veteran Bird brings in. One of the most maddening things I heard from the Clips game was when George threw one down late in the game and who does BRush come in for? PG. I just wanted to strangle OB at that point. The sound of Boyle's voice told me he was thinking the same.

Pacersalltheway10
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I was going nuts on draft night when we picked him, too. But I was excited because I thought we drafted him for NOLA for Darren collison. When we didn't trade him, I was still going nuts. He's going to be a really special player. I loved the pick.

xBulletproof
01-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Say all you want, but for a second round pick to be putting up those numbers it's darn impressive.

To me it's mildly impressive. He probably is a better shooter than PG for the time being, but I don't imagine that will last long. However keep in mind Fields went to college all 4 years, he should be ready to contribute sooner than a lot of guys in the draft. I'd also argue if he was playing anywhere else and getting the same minutes he's probably averaging 7 points and 5 boards per game.

I really wish PG was getting 30 minutes per game. He'd probably be the #3 rookie behind Griffin and Wall. Crazy for a 'project'.

Doddage
01-22-2011, 06:46 PM
I was going nuts on draft night when we picked him, too. But I was excited because I thought we drafted him for NOLA for Darren collison. When we didn't trade him, I was still going nuts. He's going to be a really special player. I loved the pick.
Bet you were stoked that we ended up with both. ;)

Pacersalltheway10
01-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Bet you were stoked that we ended up with both. ;)

definitely. Plus the loss of murphy was addition by subtraction

Really?
01-23-2011, 01:26 AM
There are a couple more people above George also...

Patric Patterson

Jeremy Evans

Devin Ebanks

George needs to work on foul trouble if he really wants to be a factor this year.

Thing about him is that he has so much upside and so many things that he can still improve on... Again his potential is sky high...

ilive4sports
01-23-2011, 01:50 AM
There are a couple more people above George also...

Patric Patterson

Jeremy Evans

Devin Ebanks

George needs to work on foul trouble if he really wants to be a factor this year.

Thing about him is that he has so much upside and so many things that he can still improve on... Again his potential is sky high...

Hard to work on when your coach doesn't play you.

O'Braindead
01-23-2011, 05:45 AM
The thing that amazes me is how good he is off-the-ball, his handles, decisiveness, and his shooting stroke which is more beautiful than Marilyn Monroe. When he learns the ropes, he'll easily be a league favorite.