PDA

View Full Version : Building a Team

Really?
01-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Just would like to get your guys take on this subject.

A lot of the treads now are talking about possible changes to our team, whether it through trade, FA or the draft. If we want to talk about changes to our team then we need to keep the make up of or team in mind. I think some of these trade scenarios go away from what we should need in building a good team.

One thing that I think needs to always be considered is the make up of the team and how players complement other players; another thing is sometimes it is good to have a bit of redundancy in the make up of some players on the team this allows for days when certain players are off their game.

You also need semi stars on your 2nd team, players that contribute in big ways while playing a limited amount of minutes coming off the bench. i.e Big Baby, Lamar Odom, Ryan Anderson(of late)...etc.

You also need some type of veteran leadership preferably in one of your starters, and one of the players on your second team.

Finally you need a coach that is able to utilize the players in the best possible way.

Please let me know if I am off base or what I might be missing...

P.S. I am a fan of Derrick Favors Potential

BringJackBack
01-21-2011, 08:21 PM
IMO the problem is, we have no identity so we don't know how to build.. Our current roster doesn't compliment each other at all. Do we want to be a team with very good offensive firepower (NYK), a defensive force (poor man's BOS), or a young team on the rise (OKC)? the FO needs to decide the direction and go from there.

If we want to go for good offense, push hard for Martin (or a very good scoring SG of his caliber), Scola/West (a pick and roll w/ post-up ability PF), an athletic center, a very good third big, and we need to get a coach that uses Collison A LOT because he is a lot better than Jim is making him out to be.

If we want to go for a defensive team, go after Nene in free agency, Igoudala in trade, get Chandler or DeAndre in free agency, and put pressure on Danny to start playing defense, simple as that.

If we want to go young, trade Danny for a very good player (Favors or Curry for example), and a couple of other pieces as well as a early first round pick. Keep our options open, and don't force ourselves into a bad situation by wasting cap space. Oh yeah, and try to get a lot of picks.

So, we need to figure out a direction and go from there. And I'm sorry for being so hypothetical, I've been doing that a lot lately but I guess I am getting somewhat excited as suspense is building for the team.

xIndyFan
01-21-2011, 08:32 PM
jmo,

but it looks like bird is building your basic boston celtic team. size at each position, shooters, defense and rebounding. able to run, but mainly a half court team. still missing the low post/defender/rebounder at the 4.

this is the way i think you build a team from scratch. to disagree with BJB, i think the pacers have a direction and a plan. it's just the last year of the old team instead of the first year of the new one.

Eleazar
01-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Just would like to get your guys take on this subject.

A lot of the treads now are talking about possible changes to our team, whether it through trade, FA or the draft. If we want to talk about changes to our team then we need to keep the make up of or team in mind. I think some of these trade scenarios go away from what we should need in building a good team.

One thing that I think needs to always be considered is the make up of the team and how players complement other players; another thing is sometimes it is good to have a bit of redundancy in the make up of some players on the team this allows for days when certain players are off their game.

You also need semi stars on your 2nd team, players that contribute in big ways while playing a limited amount of minutes coming off the bench. i.e Big Baby, Lamar Odom, Ryan Anderson(of late)...etc.

You also need some type of veteran leadership preferably in one of your starters, and one of the players on your second team.

Finally you need a coach that is able to utilize the players in the best possible way.

Please let me know if I am off base or what I might be missing...

P.S. I am a fan of Derrick Favors Potential

I think you are spot on. This is why I don't see understand why people think it is a tragedy to start players like Rush and McRoberts who don't score as much. It is because you need the other guys off the bench to be your "semi-stars". The guys who can come in and score while your main scorers are on the bench, while guys like Rush and McRoberts are the glue guys that make the starters perform to their best of their ability as a unit because they don't feel the need to score every time they touch the ball.

If we want to go for a defensive team, go after Nene in free agency, Igoudala in trade, get Chandler or DeAndre in free agency, and put pressure on Danny to start playing defense, simple as that.

If it is about defense then I don't see a reason to go after Igoudala unless it is to replace Granger in which case the last part isn't needed. Either way if you can get Granger to play the kind of defense we know he can than you don't need Igoudala to begin with. Just look at the players we have. Rush is a great defender, and is a very efficient scorer. George has shown that he can be an extremely good defender potentially as good as Rush. Granger when he puts in the effort is an excellent defender. Give George a year or two of development and you probably have the best trio of defenders in the league. Two of which can score like Igoudala, and one which is a very efficient scorer. Yeah right now we have Dun, but he most likely won't be here next year with Granger, Rush, and George.

jmo,

but it looks like bird is building your basic boston celtic team. size at each position, shooters, defense and rebounding. able to run, but mainly a half court team. still missing the low post/defender/rebounder at the 4.

this is the way i think you build a team from scratch. to disagree with BJB, i think the pacers have a direction and a plan. it's just the last year of the old team instead of the first year of the new one.

I agree completely, as well you got to add that we don't have a coach that fits with the players.