PDA

View Full Version : Bird staying after this year???

Really?
01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Just an interesting article that I saw about "The Bird"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgA.vybipcNwi3uEDa6W9O68vLYF?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer012111

Now in his eighth season as an executive with the Indiana Pacers, Larry Bird still enjoys watching the team’s young players develop – but he also isn’t certain to return next year. His contract as the Pacers’ president expires on Aug. 1, and he said he’ll sit down with the franchise’s owner, Herb Simon, before then to address his future.

“You never know,” Bird said. “The owner might want whatever he thinks. I might not want to come back. I really don’t know at this stage, but I do enjoy it.

“I tell everybody I got one of the best jobs in the world. You got to take the good with the bad, but once it turns, it’s going to turn good.

“I’ll talk to [Simon] about that after the season. But we have a great owner. I respect him. He’s great for the league and has been very good to me. I’ve been with him 11 years. But whatever he thinks, we’ll sit down and talk about it.”

Bird ran the Pacers with current New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh until Walsh stepped down in March 2008. Bird has made some strong moves since Walsh’s departure, re-signing forward Danny Granger(notes), acquiring point guard Darren Collison(notes) and drafting center Roy Hibbert(notes) and promising rookie guard Paul George(notes). But with a 16-23 record, the Pacers are barely hanging on to the Eastern Conference’s eighth seed. Bird sat through another close loss this week at Golden State.

“We’ll learn, but it’s painful right now, no question,” Bird said.

Bird is hoping to land a power forward prior to the Feb. 24 trade deadline. He has discussed dealing for Anthony Randolph(notes) of the Knicks.

“If I had an opportunity to get a player we really liked, I’d go ahead and do it,” Bird said.

The Pacers expect to have $24 million – not including what they spend on their first-round pick – to use in free agency. Indiana also could be hiring a new coach in the offseason because Jim O’Brien is in the last year of his deal. Those close to Bird say his competitive nature, strong relationship with Simon and the players, and intrigue about the franchise’s future are all expected to bring him back.

“This is really going to be the first year we are really going to have some money to go out and take a look,” Bird said. “We’ve sort of been hamstrung. We got a lot of guys in the last years of their deals. We got some good young players we really like. We’re trying to get better the rest of the year and develop a little bit, get a couple pieces and hopefully be better next [season].”

Pacers4Life
01-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I am a huge fan/supporter of Larry Bird (and Donnie Walsh) and David Morway. I think they've all been really outstanding for our franchise over the years, ultimately. Class Acts every one of them. I for one really hope both come back for another 2-3 years at least.

sportfireman
01-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Just as long as he doesn't bring the coach with him.

PaceBalls
01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I think Larry is great, the only hiccup has been keeping the coach. I want him to be back next year. I'd like to see what he can do with the club post lockout with a ton of cap space.

jeffg-body
01-22-2011, 03:45 AM
I personally would like to see Larry step down and Pritchard take his place. That would leave Larry to be down there where the action is and have him coaching this young team and let JOB go somewhere else.

ilive4sports
01-22-2011, 03:56 AM
I personally would like to see Larry step down and Pritchard take his place. That would leave Larry to be down there where the action is and have him coaching this young team and let JOB go somewhere else.

Larry is not going to coach.

xIndyFan
01-22-2011, 09:36 AM
bird has done a good job. his player evaluations have been pretty good. drafts good. trades good. i hope he stays.