PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wells on 1070 at 1pm

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 01:57 PM
from his twitter
Passing up some San Francisco sunshine to go on with @1070thefan to talk Pacers at about 1 p.m. eastern

maybe talk about the rumors

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/listen/

Speed
01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Can someone summarize, I can't listen.

BPump33
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Saying we have enough youth, don't want more.

Not in a position to buy anyone out financially.

Need a #1 scoring option while bumping Granger to #2.

We just don't know how to win.

Granger trying to do too much offensively. Deviating from the offensive scheme.

BringJackBack
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
He just said a lot of we already knew... AR is a young guy who isn't going to be the answer, we're looking for a veteran, etc..

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Can someone summarize, I can't listen.

he said AR is a milk drink lol and said we will probly have a new coach next year. Sayss we should trade for someone better than Granger. Wells called Donnie this morning

BPump33
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Bird loves AR's athletic ability.

Walsh laughed when Wells called him. Offer never proposed.

Trader Joe
01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Good luck getting a number 1 scorer in here to supplant Granger with the assets we have.

BringJackBack
****.. Wells just said that he called Walsh and Walsh laughed and said that he didn't even get a trade offer from Bird.. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that.

BPump33
Yeah, he's stating the all the obvious things. We all know what TO DO, we just don't have the means to get it done.

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 02:11 PM
said Bird still backs JOB

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 02:12 PM
says veterns most likely tuning JOB out

BPump33
01-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Bird said all of this is not on O'Brien, it's on himself as well.

Bird laughed when Wells brought up Larry returning to bench.

Sookie
01-20-2011, 02:13 PM
lol, so according to Mike the younger guys haven't tuned O'brien out but the vets probably have..might actually be the reason they are starting to play now. Amazing really, because you'd think the group that tuned O'brien out would be the group that was unfairly not playing..not the group that was unfairly playing.

Peck
01-20-2011, 02:14 PM

:angry:

BPump33
01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Basically, we learned nothing because there is nothing new to learn. We are who we think we are.

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
lol, so according to Mike the younger guys haven't tuned O'brien out but the vets probably have..might actually be the reason they are starting to play now. Amazing really, because you'd think the group that tuned O'brien out would be the group that was unfairly not playing..not the group that was unfairly playing.

he said AJ and Tyler are just happy to be playing and are out to prove themselves doesnt think they have tuned JOB out.

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Said he is writing an article asking Bird about the state of the franchise will come out soon.

PR07
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't get why we'd want to add more veterans. Unless this veteran is an NBA All-Star, this team as it currently stands isn't going anywhere.

vnzla81
01-20-2011, 02:17 PM

:puke:

Sookie
01-20-2011, 02:19 PM
he said AJ and Tyler are just happy to be playing and are out to prove themselves doesnt think they have tuned JOB out.

He named them specifically, but also said "the young guys" in general. He mentioned Josh a bit too.

Unclebuck
01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Wells was asked on AM 950 yesterday whether O'Brien was coming back next season. Wells said nothing short of a championship will bring O'Brien back.

BPump33
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Wells was asked on AM 950 yesterday whether O'Brien was coming back next season. Wells said nothign short of a championship will bring O'Brien back.

You've been holding that out on us since yesterday? :eek:

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
He named them specifically, but also said "the young guys" in general.

he said young guys then named them

the funniest story was during the bulls game when Josh got 3mins of burn. He joked with Wells after the game saying i thought we aquired another player with the name Josh LOL. He said he wasnt expecting to play at all and was very surprised. LOL

vnzla81
01-20-2011, 02:23 PM

No s*** :laugh:

Peck
Wells was asked on AM 950 yesterday whether O'Brien was coming back next season. Wells said nothign short of a championship will bring O'Brien back.

That is pretty amazing really and frankly very upsetting if true. The reason I say that is that if this is the case then the front office knows what we know and obviously $$ reasons are keeping him here.

I get it, I don't like it but I get it.

So in essence we really are just spinning our wheels this year, which I guess could have been expected all along.

pacergod2
Of course Bird still backs JOB. JOB will not get fired during the season. That was pretty obvious last summer. Now I don't think that it means JOB will be here after this season though. If it does, then there is a cause for concern.

Day-V
01-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Wells was asked on AM 950 yesterday whether O'Brien was coming back next season. Wells said nothing short of a championship will bring O'Brien back.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nvfp1w.gif
http://i48.tinypic.com/348oksj.gif

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Double D said we should target EJ he says he will be a superstar i agree can create for himself and others. But that would be impossible

BPump33
01-20-2011, 02:25 PM
That is pretty amazing really and frankly very upsetting if true. The reason I say that is that if this is the case then the front office knows what we know and obviously $$ reasons are keeping him here.

So in essence we really are just spinning our wheels this year, which I guess could have been expected all along.

Isn't it crazy that we all know this, yet we let this team dictate our lives on a day to day basis. To quote you:

"I get it, I don't like it but I get it."

Saying that, I will continue to be this way.

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I feel like your trying to tell me something, but I can't understand a word you're saying? :D

DD, EJ

Dale Davis and Eric JGordon????

Dan Dakaich the guy on the fan lol his nickname is double D

Day-V
01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Ernie Johnson?

http://i.tbs.com/v5cache/TBS/Images/Dynamic/i38/sports_erniejohnson_240x260_082920070248.jpg

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Ernie Johnson?

http://i.tbs.com/v5cache/TBS/Images/Dynamic/i38/sports_erniejohnson_240x260_082920070248.jpg

EJ = Eric Gordon Jr

Unclebuck
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM

Wait a minute, seems like you have mentally backed yourself into a corner so that no matter what they do you are not happy.

Maybe Bird just doesn't think a coaching change in the middle of the season will help the franchise. let him finish out the season and then go after a big name coach. Big name coaches don't want to come aboard in January

Since86
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Which pisses me off even more. If you know you aren't going anywhere this year, then next season should have been the priority.

The young guys should have been getting playing time from the get-go. If you don't have any real expectations, then develop your players and see what you have.

pacers74
01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
If Dan Dakich is right, and we should go after Eric Gordon, then there is no reason we shouldn't go after Favors right now. They way DD was talking we could not get Gordon until he was a free agent after next season. We would need a lot of young guys to have around him to entice him to come here. I don't think just the thought of coming to your home state and try to save a franchise will be enought o get Gordon away from LA and Griffin.

Hicks
01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
They know they aren't going anywhere this year, which makes most fans wish for a youth movement instead of riding guys like Ford and Posey.

But we have to remember this is also a business, and one that is losing money. They seem convinced that pushing for the playoffs, even in a year like this (and the past two seasons as well), is good for their bottom line because it should generate (if even a little) more sales in the spring, and of course the two playoff games are profit (if I recall correctly). It's money. You can argue the youth gives them a better shot, but they obviously disagree, and I think it's debatable, even if I disagree (mostly) with their line of thinking.

Sookie
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Honestly, that's what I hoped it would be, but I didn't know for sure.

We should have been playing the younger guys from the get go, to at least get something from this season..but hopefully we'll do that the rest of the way.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put TJ on the inactive list and make Lance active. Let Lance get his feet wet when JOB wants to play two PGs. That way, even if we want him to run the offense for a bit, there will be another PG in there with him to help him out. He also won't be badly beated defensively.

Eleazar
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM

What I am going with is that the vets have been around long enough to know what JOB is spout out of his mouth is BS, while the younger players don't realize yet.

Pacers4Life
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Which pisses me off even more. If you know you aren't going anywhere this year, then next season should have been the priority.

The young guys should have been getting playing time from the get-go. If you don't have any real expectations, then develop your players and see what you have.

Here's the thing.. we started off ok didn't we? Granted Paul George was playing then too *ahem* but thats not the point. We HAD to see what we had in EVERYTHING(ONE) that we had. Now we're seeing the results from that experiment.. and per usual the talent or skill level is not where most of us BELIEVE it could/should be. I could be mistaken.. but we're still in the playoffs as of today right?

I expect us to start winning 50% of our games on a regular basis.. and getting slightly hot at the end (again per usual).

I expect no moves to be made and for us to take this train into the 7th or 8th spot in the East ourselves.. And I'm fine with that.

beast23
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Basically, we learned nothing because there is nothing new to learn. We are who we think we are.I think that is the big problem. We know who we are not. I don't think this team really has a clue as to who they are. There is a very big, yet very subtle distinction there.

Kegboy
01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Ernie Johnson?

Ernie can absolutely create for himself and others, just not on the court. I don't see it as impossible, but probably prohibitedly expensive, even on an interim basis. At least he'd smell better than Bball's homeless guy.

[edit] Actually, I looked and we don't have any Thursday games. No reason he can't bring Chuck and Kenny with him. Only problem would be they'd probably actually get us to the playoffs, which could be problematic for scheduling.

Since86
01-20-2011, 03:45 PM
But we have to remember this is also a business, and one that is losing money. They seem convinced that pushing for the playoffs, even in a year like this (and the past two seasons as well), is good for their bottom line because it should generate (if even a little) more sales in the spring, and of course the two playoff games are profit (if I recall correctly). It's money. You can argue the youth gives them a better shot, but they obviously disagree, and I think it's debatable, even if I disagree (mostly) with their line of thinking.

I think the results speak for themselves though. Playing the way Jim wants them to play, they aren't a playoff team regardless.

So if you aren't a playoff team, when you play vets and the style the coach wants you to play, what do you do?

If Dec/Jan weren't trainwrecks, then I'd agree. But no one is going to pay money to watch that kind of basketball, and they certainly aren't going to get into the playoffs.

I understand it's a ****ty spot to be in, but sometimes you have to continue to bite the bullet, and pray that you can correct the ship sometime in the near future before it completely sinks.

Sometimes bailing water by hand as you continue towards shore is better than stopping your ship and hoping that you can get the pump running in time.

01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
So, what you're saying is, O'Brien will no longer be a resident of Indiana by June?

http://www.dealerity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/the-shawshank-redemption-1994-bluray-720p-x264-wiki17333522-14-411.jpg

Trophy
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
I listened online and some of it was very interesting and got me excited.

Especially the part when Wells was pretty much saying no matter what, Jim won't be our coach next year.

The only veteran I want us to get is David West.

He has an ETO so we can potentially offer him more than the Hornets will pay him next season and what they may extend him to.

Maybe we can even trade for him with our expirings and our draft pick.

The Hornets are probably the top franchise that's in need of saving money.

Justin Tyme
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM

He hadn't gotten over the shock of hearing it and has been having to deal with it. It's been an emotional roller coaster for him. :D

Dadgum, there goes my theory Jimmy might be back for the lockout season.

Justin Tyme
01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
They know they aren't going anywhere this year, which makes most fans wish for a youth movement instead of riding guys like Ford and Posey.

Getting back in the playoffs by using the vets seems to be the thinking.

Getting the Pacers back into the playoffs helps if ownership is looking to sell. Add no coach under contract, expiring contracts, cap space, young players, and the lease settled into the mix as well. It makes the franchise more attractive to sell. JMOAA