PDA

View Full Version : Was anyone else concerned with what Clark said last night?

Hicks
01-20-2011, 12:13 PM
The fan question he answered on air was basically, 'Do you think the Pacers will make a trade by the deadline'? His answer was no.

I was hoping to hear something more like 'Well, you never know...' but he flat out said no before going into Larry Bird's old line of 'of course, if there's a move that improves the team, they'll do it...'

Make no mistake, though, the general impression was that we are not trading any of these expirings.

Peck
01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
The fan question he answered on air was basically, 'Do you think the Pacers will make a trade by the deadline'? His answer was no.

I was hoping to hear something more like 'Well, you never know...' but he flat out said no before going into Larry Bird's old line of 'of course, if there's a move that improves the team, they'll do it...'

Make no mistake, though, the general impression was that we are not trading any of these expirings.

Are you sure you got that last line right? I go the impression we were not going to trade any of these expirings.

Yes, in fact Clark's comments (along with a myriad of other things) put me in the mood to write what I did last night.

So yes, I was concerned.

Smoothdave1
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Clark is a Pacers employee and has assumed more of a role for the team this year, so I wouldn't expect him to say anything different. I wouldn't expect him to come out and say the Pacers are trading Dunleavy, Ford, Foster, Dahntay, etc. He'll walk the company line and provide us with the usual "if the Pacers can improve the team" they'll make a trade. Bird, Morway, Quinn, Denari, Paetz, etc. will all say the same thing too.

Clark did mention that there's always talk of adding someone at the 4, but that with Tyler's play as of late, that may not be needed or something the Pacers were seeking.

Aw Heck
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm not surprised. Could the Pacers possibly get anything of real value in return for the expiring contracts of T.J. Ford, Jeff Foster or Mike Dunleavy? Of the three, Foster has the most value but no contender is going to send back anything worthwhile, IMO. We should just be happy we got such good value for Troy Murphy's expiring.

With the lockout looming, I think the TPTB would rather go into the offseason with as much flexibility as possible.

Trader Joe
01-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Eh, Clark only does road games, who knows what he really knows either way. I'm sure he is connected, but it's all conjecture.

Also,

"We are not looking to trade Jalen Rose"

Dr. Awesome
01-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Yea, it would be difficult for someone who works for the Pacers to come out and say "Oh yea, they have been trying to get rid of these big expiring contracts for a while now!"

I mean, there is no way that Bird isn't making calls or listening to calls. Whether something happens or not, I don't know, but he has proven he will do what is best for the team(outside of O'Brien that is).

Hicks
01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Eh, Clark only does road games, who knows what he really knows either way. I'm sure he is connected, but it's all conjecture.

Also,

"We are not looking to trade Jalen Rose"

He also works for the Pacers in another capacity. To say nothing of the fact that he's a member of the Pacers alumni. I'm sure he's relatively on top of what's going on. The fact that he only does road games seems to me to be irrelevant.

Hicks
01-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Yea, it would be difficult for someone who works for the Pacers to come out and say "Oh yea, they have been trying to get rid of these big expiring contracts for a while now!"

I mean, there is no way that Bird isn't making calls or listening to calls. Whether something happens or not, I don't know, but he has proven he will do what is best for the team(outside of O'Brien that is).

I don't disagree with that, but he didn't just play coy or even seem ambiguous, he just said "No." to start off his answer.

Justin Tyme
01-20-2011, 01:40 PM
I've said this b4 that I'll be real surprised if the Pacers make any type of significant trade b4 the trade deadline unless the Simon thinks one will get the Pacers/keep the Pacers in the playoffs.

I'm always open to surprises, but I'll be surprised if a surprise happens that's a pleasant surprise b4 the trade deadline. :D

BringJackBack
01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
I caught this during the game as well.. And frankly it ticks me off. We have sat here for three years banking on this deadline and the draft, and we're not even going to make a move for Martin, Scola, Wallace, Igoudala, Favors, or even Anthony Randolph along with the whole teams of Blazers and Raptors blowing their stuff up.

Of course Clark could be wrong though.

DaveP63
01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
JMV asked Conrad Brunner the same thing yesterday PM and he said (paraphrasing) that they were looking at "moves". Implying multiple moves.

pacergod2
01-20-2011, 02:17 PM
In the "Trade Deadline" thread I started, I said the exact same thing. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we didn't make a move. Our expiring contracts don't seem to be as valuable as we had hoped. That is fine.

Being under the cap may be more valuable to us than getting something in return for our expiring contracts. We have 13 months before next year's deadline to really make a move. We won't be under the cap until July. I wouldn't be impatient at this trade deadline. Being under the cap gives us SOOOOOO many more options than we have with our large expiring contracts. I'm sure the Sixers would trade us Elton Brand for two expirings, but is that a move we really want to make? I don't think we should make a move out of impatience. Make sure it improves our team going forward. Nobody is really trying to trade their (borderline) All-Star level veterans. Melo is only getting thrown around all day every day because a he is a FRANCHISE PLAYER on an expiring deal. The Nuggets want to get something instead of nothing. The Sixers want a boatload for Iguadala I am sure.

Unclebuck
01-20-2011, 02:25 PM
he also said that he was sure if a deal came along that imprioved the team that they would make the deal.

I took it to mean nothing

Major Cold
01-20-2011, 02:30 PM
I think you are reading too much into it. The NBA is full more with rumors than with deals.

xIndyFan
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
seems to me the pacers are doing what they said they would be doing. keeping the expirings, looking for a good deal on a player, not making a trade just to trade. and if something works out, great. if not, let the expirings expire and use the cap space to sign guys in the summer.

it has been frustrating to watch though. lots of guys that could help the B&G, but pacers are still looking for deals. :shrug:

Lord Helmet
01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Not concerned, although I wasn't expecting any moves at the trade deadline.

Also, there is no way to know. Something could come up by then. Just expect a 50/50 chance we do something.

Mark
01-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Chris and Clark were the same two who... couldn't possibly understand why the Oakland crowd was booing Dunleavy.

What I mean is they aren't just going to say "They're probably booing the guy because he was the face of a perennial 20 win team". Just like they aren't going to say "Pacers would really love to move T.J. (insert whoever is a likely candidate)"

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I think I know what Hicks means

For Clark to say No, as the first word out of mouth to me, means one of two things:

1. We are not making any trades- Thats why he didnt use the company line of "were not making calls, but you never know".
2. They are close on a big trade that they dont want to get leaked out, and if possibly involving Granger are deciding how to app;roach the fans with it

Sookie
01-20-2011, 06:12 PM
no, remember the Hornets weren't trading Collison. People don't talk to much. They've said in the past that Larry Bird is always looking for opportunities. If the right ones come up, then we'll take it. We just aren't going to trade for the sake of trading.

special ed
01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Not concerned at all because why would they make any move with this coach in place?
To bring a fragile youngster (Randolph?) in for an expiring contract would simply be burying potential at the far end of the O'Brien bench.
Let's see who the coach is and what the system will be before they make any moves.

Pacerized
01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
It's hard to wait but it's not like we've missed out on anything since nothing is really happening right now. I don't think we'll make the playoffs if we don't make a trade that helps us now. On the other hand I don't want us to make a trade unless it's for the right big man and I definitely don't want us trading a 1st. for Randolph. If our F.O. has any real indication that the cap is going to really fall next year then we should be extremely selective in making a trade. Let's say the cap falls to 45 mil next year under the new CBA and the LT falls to 55. What would that do for us? If a really hard cap is put in place and teams are given a window to get under it or pay a penalty that would really bring about a buyers market. I think we'll have the third lowest payroll next year with Denver having the lowest unless they extend Melo or Nene. No one knows how the NBA would mandate getting to the lower cap, if they get away with lowering every players salary by a set % that would make it easier on every team to keep their players. It may be in our best interest to wait but it's really hard to just let our expiring contracts walk without getting something for them.