PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Pritchard traveling w/ Pacers?

Smoothdave1
01-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Rather interesting to see former Blazers GM, Kevin Pritchard, traveling with the Pacers during this West Coast trip. There had been some talk a while back that he might be brought in to work for the Pacers in some capacity. He's not employed as of now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Pacers offered him a deal. See below: www.indystar.com/article/20110120/SPORTS04/101200411/Pacers-Hibbert-misses-Warriors-game

Pritchard traveling with Pacers

Former Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard spent the first part of the trip traveling with the Pacers.

Pacers president Larry Bird invited Pritchard, who was fired by Portland about an hour before last summer's NBA draft, on the trip. Their friendship goes back to when the two were teammates with the Boston Celtics during the 1991-92 season.

Bird, who is in the last year of his contract, respects the job Pritchard did in rebuilding the Trail Blazers. Pritchard played a significant part in acquiring guard Brandon Roy and forward LaMarcus Aldridge.

The Pacers do not employ Pritchard. Bird likes to pick the brains of people who have held front office positions. Golden State's former executive of basketball operations, Chris Mullin, also a former Pacers player, might hang around the team later in the season.

"There's a lot of guys around the league I talk to," Bird said. "I've always done that."

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I like Prichard would be a decent hire if Bird didnt come back next year.

NapTonius Monk
01-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Interesting. If Bird doesn't renew his contract at the end of the year, would Pritchard be a good replacement?

Mackey_Rose
01-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Nobody thinks more highly of Kevin Pritchard than Kevin Pritchard.

xBulletproof
01-20-2011, 09:16 AM
If we do hire him I hope people don't expect the world. We won't buy every first round pick that's for sale to help him. I also still worry about how he handled the Brandon Roy situation. Portland is stuck paying him $14 mil a year for another 5 years, and he'll probably never be worthy of that pay again.

travmil
01-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Pritchard: Hey Larry, old buddy, I was thinking, you remember how you completely fleeced me on that Bayless deal? I was wondering if you could give me a job as kind of a "repayment" for that.

Larry: Hmm...look at the time! Gotta go. :zip:

SMosley21
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Pritchard completely rebuilt Portland from their Jailblazers days. I would love to have him making personnel decisions here in Indy. He's got a great eye for foreign talent as well. Batum and Fernandez were excellent draft picks.

The trade that he made for Bayless is one of the very few personnel decisions that he didn't get right.

Trader Joe
01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm fine with Pritchard as long as we don't let him hire our training staff.

SMosley21
01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm fine with Pritchard as long as we don't let him hire our training staff.

I've never seen a team with worse luck in regards to injuries. 2 seasons running now, they can't seem to put more than 8 or 9 healthy bodies on the court.

pacergod2
01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I want Bird to stick around honestly. I really like the job he has done so far. I think the coaching thing was a little bit out of his control. I doubt Simon wanted to pay a new coach and JOB going into a lockout. When we first hired O'Brien, this was NOT a desirable job. I think this could be a very desirable job in the near future. I like the talent that Bird has put together.

I think this deadline and summer will be the time for Bird's patience to turn to proactivity. I figure the next 13 months will be the first time we have had flexibility since Murphleavy. I wouldn't hate it if we let the guys' contracts expire. As long as we utilized our cap space for facilitating other deals. Teams like OKC have obtained a lot of late firsts over the years to just take on some salary or allow deals to happen where salaries don't match. I know we don't need more first round draft picks, but they may allow us to obtain an upgrade in talent easier/sooner.

Trophy
01-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Bird rebuilt this team from what was once a "jail cell" team.

He's done well and hope he stays.

I liked pretty much everything he's done for us except fire Jim already.

SMosley21
01-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I like most of what Bird has done as well, but Pritchard has proven to be better with personnel decisions. There's a reason the phrase "Pritch slap" was coined. I just hope we hire the guy in some facet, so that we can begin "Pritch slapping" other team's GMs.

ballism
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
We are entering a period where we will have to be extremely aggressive in free agency and trades. That's where Pritchard can be extremely valuable.

He is disliked by many, but a huge part of it is that he's a bully compared to most GMs. We need someone like that to pair with a cold blooded, patient Bird. Bad contracts are gone, we'll soon have lots of cap space, picks are still here, some young talent. We need to turn all that into talent, and Pritchard can really help us collect talented assets very aggressively.

I would absolutely love to add him to front office. Keep Bird though, they could be a fantastic match. One ultra aggresive and doesn't mind taking risks, the other very calculating and knows when to stop.

Kegboy
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM

You think Larry's any different? Nothing wrong with having an ego if you back it up with results.

pathil275
01-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Pritchard the next GM, Bird the next coach. Where can I sign?

BringJackBack
01-20-2011, 12:26 PM
If there is one guy that I want as my next GM it is Kevin Pritchard.

Trophy
01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

The Indianapolis Star reports former Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard traveled with the Pacers during the first part of their road trip.

According to the newspaper, Pritchard is not employed by the team and it was just a way for his former teammate on the Celtics, Pacers president Larry Bird, to pick his brain.

Former NBA player and Golden State executive of basketball operations, Chris Mullin, may also spend time with the Pacers later in the season.

"There's a lot of guys around the league I talk to," Bird said. "I've always done that."

Bird is in the final season of his contract with the Pacers and David Morway is expected to succeed him as the club's top basketball man next year.

This is an ESPN rumor so I wouldn't think too much of it.

Day-V
01-20-2011, 12:33 PM
:D

presto123
01-20-2011, 12:40 PM
I know Kevin Pritchard from Junior High days. In fact he and I once tied in a free throw shooting contest at Noblesville Boys Club and had to have an overtime shoot off. He beat my by one in the shoot off. Damn you Kevin. Would still like to see him here:)

dgranger17
01-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Pritchard completely rebuilt Portland from their Jailblazers days. I would love to have him making personnel decisions here in Indy. He's got a great eye for foreign talent as well. Batum and Fernandez were excellent draft picks.

The trade that he made for Bayless is one of the very few personnel decisions that he didn't get right.

Kevin Durant

xBulletproof
01-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Kevin Durant

Re-signing Brandon Roy to an 80 million dollar contract, when it was known he had a serious knee problem.

Dr. Awesome
01-20-2011, 02:09 PM
He wouldn't have the bank of Paul Allen to work with in Indiana. A lot of the deals he made were based off the money he could spend freely.

aaronb
01-20-2011, 02:20 PM

Bayless is playing some really good ball in Toronto. Only 22 (not 23 till August). Too early to call that deal a win/loss. Especially since we are still in 30-35 win purgatory.

Heisenberg
01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Bayless is playing some really good ball in Toronto. Only 22 (not 23 till August). Too early to call that deal a win/loss. Especially since we are still in 30-35 win purgatory.

Him no longer being a Blazer makes it a loss.

SMosley21
01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
He wouldn't have the bank of Paul Allen to work with in Indiana. A lot of the deals he made were based off the money he could spend freely.

Not entirely true. It wasn't free agent signing that built that team. That team was made through genius trades on draft day.

He turned Randy Foye into Brandon Roy.
He turned Tyrus Thomas and a 2nd round pick into Lamacrus Aldridge
He turned Joey Dorsey and Darrell Arthur into Nicolas Batum
He turned very minimal cash considerations into Rudy Fernandez
He drafted Patty Mills with the 55th pick in the 09 Draft.

aaronb
01-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Him no longer being a Blazer makes it a loss.

True, but It wasn't Pritchard who traded him.

SMosley21
01-20-2011, 05:17 PM
True, but It wasn't Pritchard who traded him.

But Bayless did nothing while Pritchard was there. If you're just basing things off of what happened with Pritchard involved, then the Bayless trade was a failure.

aaronb
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
But Bayless did nothing while Pritchard was there. If you're just basing things off of what happened with Pritchard involved, then the Bayless trade was a failure.

I can agree with that.

I still think Bayless ends up as the best player involved in that whole deal.

blanket
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Not entirely true. It wasn't free agent signing that built that team. That team was made through genius trades on draft day.

He turned Randy Foye into Brandon Roy.
He turned Tyrus Thomas and a 2nd round pick into Lamacrus Aldridge
He turned Joey Dorsey and Darrell Arthur into Nicolas Batum
He turned very minimal cash considerations into Rudy Fernandez
He drafted Patty Mills with the 55th pick in the 09 Draft.

but Paul Allen bought most of those draft picks.

SMosley21
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM

How do you figure? There was no cash involved in any of the draft day trades except for the Fernandez deal.

pacer4ever
01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
:haters:

Hoop
01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Myth of the genius GM continues. Several GM's have had great stretches, but they ALL make major screw ups and bad draft picks, given enough time.

After a great run by Pritchard he eventually looked like a fool for drafting Oden, Dumars was called a genius for a few years, now looks like a fool for the decisions he's made for several years now. Jerry West was called a genius for years, til he left the comfort of the Lakers job and went to Memphis, then he looked like a moron. Heck good old Donnie Walsh was called a genius by a lot of people for some of the teams he built here in a small market, til a series of horrible drafts and trades.

Anyway the list could go on and on, drafting, trades, team chemistry are all educated guesses (a crap shoot), always has been, always will be.

Having said all that I'd love to take a chance on Pritchard, I don't think he would do any worse.

grace
01-21-2011, 03:22 PM

Wrong. I think more highly of Kevin than he does. Hire him and maybe I'll be a fan again.

presto123
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Man I hope Pritchard gets the job if Bird goes. Heck I even think it IS time for Bird to go and I'm a huge Bird fan. I just want a change at the top AND on the bench.

Psyren
01-21-2011, 08:26 PM
I would be absolutely thrilled if Pritchard gets the job here in Indy.

I think as far as player moves go, Larry has done a nice job. However, if he does leave, I really hope Pritchard is the new man in charge.

oxxo
01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Pritchard is the most overrated GM I've ever seen in my life. ESPN has built his resume up like crazy. I mean what has he done?

He had a rich owner that let him buy picks from Sarver, the worst owner in the NBA (worse than Sterling IMO, constantly selling 1st rounders is inexcusable), which is where he gets alot of his rep from for whatever reason.

Thomas for Aldridge? Foye for Roy? He was not the GM at that time, he was the assistant GM.

He picked Oden over Durant. Which is semi-understandable, though Oden did have red flags about his health. In hindsight, this was a horrible pick. Rush for Bayless is pretty obviously (for most people) in our favor. None of his other picks have panned out or amounted to anything.

He also screwed up the Darius Miles situation with his bravado and arrogance.

In other words, he's done pretty much nothing. At BEST he's an average GM. He, like the Blazers as a team, got his rep from the ESPN hype machine.

ChristianDudley
01-21-2011, 09:06 PM
So if we'd by chance get Pritchard here as our next GM, does anybody here think that he'll be able to get any of the top-tier talent in this upcoming free-agent class to come HERE?? Just a thought.......

rexnom
01-21-2011, 09:25 PM
I am very, very happy with Bird. I don't think many GMs have done a better job with their teams over the past few years.

BlueNGold
01-21-2011, 10:41 PM
I went to school with Kevin. Check his mug shot:

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/mnm654321/Scan0001.jpg

hoops_guy
01-21-2011, 10:42 PM
I am very, very happy with Bird. I don't think many GMs have done a better job with their teams over the past few years.

I agree. He's put in a position for very good success. The only thing he has to do now is turn his pieces into talent, and players are out there.

CableKC
01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
After a great run by Pritchard he eventually looked like a fool for drafting Oden, Dumars was called a genius for a few years, now looks like a fool for the decisions he's made for several years now. Jerry West was called a genius for years, til he left the comfort of the Lakers job and went to Memphis, then he looked like a moron. Heck good old Donnie Walsh was called a genius by a lot of people for some of the teams he built here in a small market, til a series of horrible drafts and trades.

Anyway the list could go on and on, drafting, trades, team chemistry are all educated guesses (a crap shoot), always has been, always will be.

Having said all that I'd love to take a chance on Pritchard, I don't think he would do any worse.
At the time of the draft....I don't think that it was an automatic No-Brainer for every GM to pick Durant over Oden. 20-20 hindsight...yes, it's perfectly clear....but don't make it seem like anyone had a clue that Oden would suffer the level of injuries that we now know he has experienced on the day of the draft.

presto123
01-22-2011, 01:18 AM
I went to school with Kevin. Check his mug shot:

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/mnm654321/Scan0001.jpg

I remember about half the people in that line of pics.

xBulletproof
01-22-2011, 02:44 AM
At the time of the draft....I don't think that it was an automatic No-Brainer for every GM to pick Durant over Oden. 20-20 hindsight...yes, it's perfectly clear....but don't make it seem like anyone had a clue that Oden would suffer the level of injuries that we now know he has experienced on the day of the draft.

This was before the draft.

Monday June 18, 2007

The team executive noted that "big guys always seem to have bad backs.'' But he did express concern about Oden's wrist. "The people I talked to said it was pretty serious,'' the executive said. "Sometimes the wrist never comes back.''

I've also heard an unrelated rumor -- which did not show up in the Orlando physical -- that another team is expressing concern about the long-term health of Oden's knees.

"We haven't heard anything about his knee,'' said agent Bill Duffy, who represents Oden in association with Mike Conley Sr. "One thing we are aware of is that his hip alignment is off. One of his legs is longer than the other, but he's obviously had that for a long time.''

These things were said before the draft, and it's pretty much come true. These are the reason's I was claiming I'd have taken Durant #1. Not a popular opinion in Indiana at the time with Oden being from 20 minutes from my place. :laugh:

jeffg-body
01-22-2011, 02:49 AM
I would like to see Pritchard slowly ease his way into that position the rest of the year as a "consultant". After the year is up, he assumes Larry's job and JOB does not get offered anything.

xIndyFan
01-22-2011, 08:44 AM
I would like to see Pritchard slowly ease his way into that position the rest of the year as a "consultant". After the year is up, he assumes Larry's job and JOB does not get offered anything.

:iagree: basically this.

pritchard is an outside the box thinker evidently. he would make a nice addition to TPTB in charge of the pacers. sign him up.

BlueNGold
01-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I remember about half the people in that line of pics.

I didn't know that class as well as my own, but I do too. Betsy's older sis Susan was very nice.....;).

SMosley21
01-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Asked a guy that I know who lives out in Portland, why Pritchard was fired. He follows the Blazers as closely as any of us follow the Pacers and this is what he said.

"They never really said why he was fired, but some speculation was that he helped his buddy, Tom Penn, get a nice raise and promotion from the Blazers instead of losing him to Minnesota. Afterward it came out that Minnesota never gave Penn an offer, but Penn and Pritchard duped the Blazers (i.e. Paul Allen and Larry Miller) into thinking there was an offer.

The other possible reasons cited were him falling too in love with 'his' players that he drafted and not being willing to trade them. Vulcan and Paul Allen, obviously will not give the full reason, but it looked as if the relationship had run it's course. He is a draft master, but I'm not sold that he would be able to make that next jump of taking those draft picks and selling high and turning those assets into a championship team."