PDA

View Full Version : David Aldridge "Prokhorov tells Nets to walk away from Carmelo deal"

Peck
01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
@daldridgetnt
David Aldridge
Wow. Prokhorov tells Nets to walk away from Carmelo deal..says decision is final.

cdash
01-19-2011, 06:51 PM
I love it. Change the title of this thread to include that info, I almost started a new thread.

BringJackBack
01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MELO IN NJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God, now the Nets will still suck, and now Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, etc. are on the block!

cdash
01-19-2011, 06:54 PM
To elaborate: I love that he is putting his foot down and saying FU to this prima donna. Carmelo is really between a rock and a hard place now.

imbtyler
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
@daldridgetnt
David Aldridge
Wow. Prokhorov tells Nets to walk away from Carmelo deal..says decision is final.

Maybe he just read this article at BleacherReport (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/577703-nba-trade-rumors-10-reasons-andre-iguodala-is-a-better-steal-than-melo) that King Phoenix mentioned here (http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=60465) and decided that he'd rather pay less for Iggy and some other pieces than Melo and nothing else.

pacergod2
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
I love it. Basically a big FU to Denver for being on the fence. At the same time, I don't think Carmelo has changed his stance. He wants to be a free agent and go through the process. The Nuggets are the ones losing in this whole scenario.

cdash taking the words right out of my mouth.

Shade
01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
This sucks for us. I'd much rather Melo end up in Jersey than with the Knicks.

BringJackBack
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
So, now are we going to start hearing rumblings about other trades around the league?

vnzla81
01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
To elaborate: I love that he is putting his foot down and saying FU to this prima donna. Carmelo is really between a rock and a hard place now.

I don't think he is saying Fu to Melo, I think he is saying it to the Nuggets, bad news for the Pacers if NY gets him.

luis3ep
01-19-2011, 07:03 PM
IF Melo goes to the knicks now.. the pacers have to get 2 above average players to even compete with the knicks among other top East teams... we're just an Iguodala and great PF player away from being a top 3 team in the east in a cpl years..

xBulletproof
01-19-2011, 07:07 PM
About damn time. Now give us Favors and a couple picks for Granger. Boo-yah.

CableKC
01-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Prokhorov finally comes to his senses.

Trophy
01-19-2011, 07:14 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MELO IN NJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God, now the Nets will still suck, and now Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, etc. are on the block!

We don't need Devin Harris or a PG.

Trophy
01-19-2011, 07:18 PM
I think it's actually not too bad for us.

We may not be in a battle with the Knicks to climb higher in the standings, but the Hawks who will probably fall to the 6th spot and the Knicks might even climb higher than the 5th. That is if they do get Carmelo.

We need to pull a few decent trades or use our money and sign a really good player specifically a PF to give us a comfortable spot in the standings.

Sookie

Yea. Favors would be nice..but I'm not willing to trade Danny for him..

BringJackBack

Dude, yeah I know.. DC is my favorite player. Devin is a guy to make salaries match and some bench scoring and Favors is a stud.

CableKC
If by prima donna you mean the Nuggets FO...then I agree.

odeez
01-19-2011, 07:19 PM

You know this idea is sounding better & better. I love DG, but what if this deal were on the table for real? Who else pulls the the trigger?

Sookie
01-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Also would New Jersey really trade with us again...I would think after the last time... :D

Trophy
01-19-2011, 07:23 PM

We need a new coach before we think about trading Danny or any of our core players.

We definitely will have a lot of options in this offseason between a potential new coach and what we're going to do with the money we have from the expired contracts.

BringJackBack
01-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Also would New Jersey really trade with us again...I would think after the last time... :D

I think it's safe to say that we won the deal, BIG TIME. :D :laugh:

vnzla81
01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
I really wanted this crap to end today, now we need to hear about this crap until the trade deadline :(

croz24
01-19-2011, 07:25 PM

but would you be willing to trade danny for favors AND their 1st round pick this year?

something like vujacic, favors, 2011 1st for danny? personally, i think it'd be a good deal for both sides.

CableKC
01-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Good point...forgot about that.

But I'd rather hold on to Granger and jettison our Coach before dealing him.

The problem is that the Nets only have 1 big Expiring Contract to match salaries......I don't even want to mention who that 1 Big Expiring Contract is.....:D

SMosley21
01-19-2011, 07:26 PM

It's not like we fleeced them. We got DC from the Hornets and all New Jersey gave up in that deal was Courtney Lee. They Nets WANTED Murphy's expiring contract.

pacergod2
01-19-2011, 07:26 PM
I would really be interested in trading Granger to NJ. I love Granger. I just bought his all black jersey. I just think that the iron is hot and the Nets showed their hand a bit by being willing to really come off some assets for Melo. Granger's trade value is not Melo mind you, but if we could get Murphy back for him straight up, I would be ecstatic.... oh wait... I meant Favors, a first, and an expiring, I would seriously cosnider it. We would give up DJones probably too. If we got Murphy back I wouldn't hate it. It would ensure we tank the season away.

Next year's team:

PG - Collison, Price
SG - Rush, Stephenson
SF - George, Posey
PF - Favors, Hansborough
C - Hibbert

This would also put us at about $25M in cap holds, give or take. Just thinking about their salaries off the top of my head. This team is extremely young. And extremely talented. Add in two first round picks that could be used individually or packaged to move up and I would think that we would be competitive immediately. Volatile as any team in the league obviously, but clearly much more talented going forward.

The more I think about it, the more I think we need to figure out our best option for bringing in a major upgrade to our roster. If that doesn't work, I would seriously consider this as an option.

bulldog
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM

I think Melo's people made it known Melo wouldn't come to NJ, and he big Russian is trying to save face.

xBulletproof
01-19-2011, 07:28 PM
I think Melo's people made it known Melo wouldn't come to NJ, and he big Russian is trying to save face.

Actually there was a meeting setup for tomorrow. Melo was going to meet with Prokhov (sp?) and Jay-Z. They canceled the meeting. Melo was at least willing to listen to what they had to say.

vnzla81
01-19-2011, 07:32 PM
I would really be interested in trading Granger to NJ. I love Granger. I just bought his all black jersey. I just think that the iron is hot and the Nets showed their hand a bit by being willing to really come off some assets for Melo. Granger's trade value is not Melo mind you, but if we could get Murphy back for him straight up, I would be ecstatic.... oh wait... I meant Favors, a first, and an expiring, I would seriously cosnider it. We would give up DJones probably too. If we got Murphy back I wouldn't hate it. It would ensure we tank the season away.

Next year's team:

PG - Collison, Price
SG - Rush, Stephenson
SF - George, Posey
PF - Favors, Hansborough
C - Hibbert

This would also put us at about $25M in cap holds, give or take. Just thinking about their salaries off the top of my head. This team is extremely young. And extremely talented. Add in two first round picks that could be used individually or packaged to move up and I would think that we would be competitive immediately. Volatile as any team in the league obviously, but clearly much more talented going forward.

The more I think about it, the more I think we need to figure out our best option for bringing in a major upgrade to our roster. If that doesn't work, I would seriously consider this as an option.

I think you should at least get something close to what the Nets were offering and maybe try to move Posey at the same time, I like Favors but I'm not sure how good he is going to be, getting some draft picks could help out if he doesn't work out.

LA_Confidential
01-19-2011, 07:40 PM
This sucks for us. I'd much rather Melo end up in Jersey than with the Knicks.

I beg to differ. The Knicks are already better than us, so if he would have ended up in NJ then thats 1 more team we'd have to compete with.

The Jackson shimmy
01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Granger to NJ for Favors a 1st plus whatever makes it equitable ?

Count me in. In fact, I'll drive Danny to the airport !

Speed
01-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Denvers on the phone right now, okay we'll not make you take Al Harrington, too.

NYET!!

vnzla81
01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
I beg to differ. The Knicks are already better than us, so if he would have ended up in NJ then thats 1 more team we'd have to compete with.

Amare and Felton is not the same as Amare, MELO, Felton.

Trophy
01-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Granger to NJ for Favors a 1st plus whatever makes it equitable ?

Count me in. In fact, I'll drive Danny to the airport !

Okay. That's ridiculous.

There's no reason for anybody to "wish" Danny gone by saying something like that.

The guy is the best player we have.

croz24
01-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Okay. That's ridiculous.

There's no reason for anybody to "wish" Danny gone by saying something like that.

The guy is the best player we have.

and the pacers are going nowhere with him as their "best" player

DGPR
01-19-2011, 08:38 PM
I've been a big Danny Granger fan ever since draft night in 2005, if you couldn't already tell by my avatar but a deal like Favors, unprotected 2011 1st, and filler/expiring for Danny would make this team Hawks good in a couple of years. I would take that deal in a heartbeat and never look back.

Merz
01-19-2011, 08:45 PM
I doubt we can get Favors and an unprotected 1st for Granger. Maybe Favors and a lottery protected pick (not sure when we'd get that pick) or perhaps if the Nets can get a later pick from another team (they might let go of the Rockets pick thought it'll be in the lottery).

Doddage
01-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Didn't you say Favors isn't realistic for us?

speakout4
01-19-2011, 08:55 PM
This deal isn't over. It's just Prokhorov pushing back on the nuggets.

xBulletproof
01-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Didn't you say Favors isn't realistic for us?

I really don't think it is. Wishful thinking on my part, really. It's certainly not possible if they're chasing after Carmelo. They're going to wait for that. I think part of their willingness to spend so much for Carmelo is partially because Carmelo is from where the team is moving to. I'm still not sure the Nets are really through with pursuing Carmelo anyway.

They might do Favors/ Outlaw for Granger, but I wouldn't do it unless they're offering another high draft pick as well, and which case then I don't believe they'll do it.

I'd like it, but I really don't think it's realistic. Doesn't mean I can't hope for it.

Sookie
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
but would you be willing to trade danny for favors AND their 1st round pick this year?

something like vujacic, favors, 2011 1st for danny? personally, i think it'd be a good deal for both sides.

This year's first pick. No.

PacerGuy
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM

Move him to POR (like DEN was going to do) for Bantum & Prizbilla.
This gives you 2 young SF's (George/Bantum) to replace Danny, a stud young PF how will pair nicely w/ Hibbert, & even gives us more cap space. This would be a no brainer to me.
Granger/McBob for Favors/Harris. THEN..... Harris/Solo for Bantum/Prizbilla.
Straight up, these work & are fair.

BringJackBack
01-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Lol, what would you guys do if we got New Jersey's pick and Favors.. Then we lucked out and got Perry Jones with that pick?

The Jackson shimmy
01-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Trophy-

Ok, I take that back. I won't drive him to the airport. I'll carry
him piggy-back !!!

Kidding aside, I don't necessarily either 'wish' or 'want'
DG gone. I don't care one way or the other.

imbtyler
01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Lol, what would you guys do if we got New Jersey's pick and Favors.. Then we lucked out and got Perry Jones with that pick?

With that miracle, I'd probably go to church a couple more times this year.

But don't get my hopes up.

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2011, 09:39 PM

easy on the prima donna (in my opinion)

All this hype is media created. We don't know what Melo has done and unlike LeBron, he has done his best to try and be respectful of the Denver franchise

Melo earned his right to be a free agent, and he sems to want to play for the Knicks

God bless him

Imagine if we had an employer that we didn't like or an employer we did, yet our current one wouldn't let us take the new job, or we were vilified for doing so.

BringJackBack
01-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Problem is, we have no idea at all if either party wants a part of each other (Bird wanting Favors and a first, or King wanting Granger).. Theres probably about a 10% chance of anything happening there.. and then there would be about a 2% chance of us landing Perry Jones.

But still, I will wish for the best. :pray:

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2011, 09:41 PM

well if we do trade DG for favors, all those who wouldnt to be in the high lottery, would be very happy, cause that's exactly where we would be

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjKr9ian4EJsUjMFWRcFFLI5nYcB?slug=aw-netsanthony011911

NEWARK, N.J. – In a stunning and surreal declaration during a live, televised news conference, Russian billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov declared his New Jersey Nets had canceled a planned Thursday meeting with Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony(notes) and ended the Nets’ part in the long, acrimonious trade talks for the All-Star forward.

“It’s been too long and too expensive,” Prokhorov said.

New Jersey general manager Billy King sent text messages to Denver and Detroit officials to tell them that talks of a proposed three-team trade that would’ve brought Anthony to the Nets were done.

The Nets had hoped to package Derrick Favors in a deal for Carmelo Anthony.

When asked who had been driving the talks over the past several months, Prokhorov said, “It was purely on the basketball level.”

Nevertheless, sources insist the Nets’ ownership and marketing sides had been relentless proponents of bringing Anthony to New Jersey as a prelude to their planned move to a new arena in Brooklyn in 2012.

Prokhorov and King both insisted the end of these talks were final, and that this wasn’t a negotiating ploy to lessen the Nuggets’ asking price. Clearly, Denver overplayed its hand with the Nets and now must do something it never wanted: Deal directly with the New York Knicks on a trade for Anthony and likely end up with a package inferior to what the Nets were willing to give.

The Nets and the Nuggets had spent the past two weeks discussing a three-team deal also involving the Detroit Pistons.

The key components of the deal would have sent Anthony, Chauncey Billups(notes) and Richard Hamilton(notes) to the Nets, and Devin Harris(notes), Derrick Favors(notes), Anthony Morrow(notes) and draft picks to Denver. The Nuggets were also trying to include Renaldo Balkman(notes) in the deal – and bring back rookie Damion James(notes) – but the Nets had resisted exchanging those players, sources said.

It appears Prokhorov may have wanted to spare himself and the franchise of being rejected by Anthony after a meeting in Denver on Thursday, because it was clear that the Nets had come to believe Anthony would never agree to signing a three-year, $65 million extension with them.

King said the Nets got permission from the Nuggets on Monday night to meet with Anthony. King, Prokhorov and the rest of the Nets’ traveling party were planning to fly to Denver on Thursday to pitch Anthony on a future in Brooklyn as the cornerstone of the Nets franchise.

With trade discussions with the Nets having broken off, the representatives for Carmelo Anthony(notes) are engaging the Chicago Bulls with hopes of pushing them into becoming a serious bidder for the Denver Nuggets star, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Anthony has long been enthusiastic about a possible trade to the Bulls, but Denver and Chicago officials had been previously unable to come to terms on a deal. Bulls executives John Paxson and Gar Forman have investigated the possibility of acquiring Anthony, but thus far haven’t been willing to include the one player the Nuggets most covet: center Joakim Noah(notes).

Anthony’s agents are under pressure to make a deal happen for the All-Star forward, who sources said has become an increasingly unhappy client. The Nuggets need to agree on a package with a team in which Anthony’s willing to sign a contract extension. Talks with Anthony’s preferred choice, the New York Knicks, have dragged on since Anthony asked for a trade in August.

Nevertheless, William Wesley – Worldwide Wes – is expected to travel to Chicago for Bulls games on Thursday and Saturday against the Dallas Mavericks and Cleveland Cavaliers, a source said. Wesley unsuccessfully pushed LeBron James(notes) to sign with the Bulls as a free agent, and now has an interest in Anthony ending up there. Wesley represents Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau for CAA.

Despite that Leon Rose is certified as the agent of record for Anthony, everyone in the NBA knows Wesley is responsible for delivering the Nuggets star to CAA and is hands-on when trying to push teams into deals for the agency’s clients.

Chicago has wanted the Nuggets to take forward Luol Deng(notes) as a cornerstone to the deal, but Denver hasn’t been interested in absorbing the three years and $40 million left on his contract after this season. The Nuggets want an array of young players and picks the Bulls will have a difficult time providing. Still, Chicago badly needs another scoring option and Anthony is one of the NBA’s elite offensive players.

Noah is recuperating from wrist surgery and is targeting a late February return. Thibodeau is an immense believer in Noah and values his defensive and rebounding presence in the middle. He’s also considered him an underrated offensive player. The Bulls signed Noah to a five-year, $60 million contract extension in the preseason.

The Knicks continue to talk with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Indiana Pacers about trading Anthony Randolph(notes) for a first-round pick to send to Denver as part of a package for Anthony. The Knicks have assurances they can get a pick for Randolph and have been canvassing the league to find another first-rounder that could be used in a deal for Anthony. There are teams willing to sell their picks for $3 million, especially in what’s considered to be an unspectacular draft class this year.

Justin Tyme
01-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Move him to POR (like DEN was going to do) for Bantum & Prizbilla.
This gives you 2 young SF's (George/Bantum) to replace Danny, a stud young PF how will pair nicely w/ Hibbert, & even gives us more cap space. This would be a no brainer to me.
Granger/McBob for Favors/Harris. THEN..... Harris/Solo for Bantum/Prizbilla.
Straight up, these work & are fair.

Portland isn't going to do that deal... period!

1) They aren't interested in trading Batum, and have said so.

2) After Camby went down with an injury, they are hurting for bigs, so why would they trade Pryzbilla? They need to get a big now not trade one away.

Justin Tyme
01-19-2011, 10:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjKr9ian4EJsUjMFWRcFFLI5nYcB?slug=aw-netsanthony011911

I especially like the last part about "what's considered to be an unspectacular draft in 011."

Gee, I wonder who has been saying this for months now! :D There it is in print fort all to see. I said early in the season teams would trade out of this draft b/c it was weak. That's why I don't have a problem with trading the 011 pick. If you are going to trade a 1st, this is year the draft to do it.

BornReady#6
01-19-2011, 10:44 PM

THIS!!!

PacerGuy
01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Portland isn't going to do that deal... period!

1) They aren't interested in trading Batum, and have said so.

2) After Camby went down with an injury, they are hurting for bigs, so why would they trade Pryzbilla? They need to get a big now not trade one away.
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71089/20110111/nuggets_want_batum_carmelo_sticking_to_knicks_only _stance/

The Nuggets hope to complete a trade with the Nets for Carmelo Anthony and then use an unprotected lottery pick to entice Portland into parting with Nicolas Batum.
Could not find the link to the story I wanted, but this shows that DEN & POR were talking. No mention of Harris here, like the story I'm looking for had, but it's out there (w/i the last week). You are right about POR not wanting moving him, but they may be willing. Camby too may have changed things, but that doesn't mean they didn't exsist. I have read 2 or more places that a deal centered around pick/Harris for Bantum was at least being discussed.
POR will likely go into rebuild mode now, so getting back a immediate "need" may or may not be an issue for them, they are looking @ n/y & beyond.

jeffg-body
01-20-2011, 12:15 AM
If we could somehow attain Favors I'd jump for joy. If it is for Danny, there had better be either an unprotected 1st or 2 1st rounders protected. I think the core of our young guys would get much more talented. I also think Favors would play very well with Hibbert and give him the comfort to play his man more aggressive and get that confidence back. With all of the cash coming off of the books at the end of this year, we could still be players in the FA scene or hold off until 2012 where we may have more options.

bulldog
01-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Actually there was a meeting setup for tomorrow. Melo was going to meet with Prokhov (sp?) and Jay-Z. They canceled the meeting. Melo was at least willing to listen to what they had to say.

I understand that's what the New Jersey Nets said.

I'm just saying they have every reason to say that. In my view, Melo wasn't going to go to New Jersey, didn't want to seem like even more of a bad guy by alienating two fan bases, and informed them quietly he wasn't coming and gave the Russian an out.

Really Melo holds all the cards here. As long as he's willing to let that extension go there's nothing the Nuggets and Nets can do.

Foul on Smits
01-20-2011, 02:23 AM

What? No he's not. He's still going to get a decent amount of FA money to go play for the team he wants to play for next year. I'm pretty sure Carmelo is just fine. LOL Why would this bother Carmelo at all?

Foul on Smits
01-20-2011, 02:25 AM
Why dont the Nets just wait a couple years for Favors and Lopez to be awsome together? That's what i'd do.

beast23
01-20-2011, 02:47 AM
What? No he's not. He's still going to get a decent amount of FA money to go play for the team he wants to play for next year. I'm pretty sure Carmelo is just fine. LOL Why would this bother Carmelo at all?From several things that I've read, Carmelo does not want to have to wait on a new CBA to see what kind of money and contract duration he can get, he would much rather get an agreement in place now with a ton of money and maximum years.

Foul on Smits
01-20-2011, 03:10 AM
He's going to get max years, max money no matter where he goes. 3 years 65 mill is a lot, but reguardless, he'll get paid nicely. I think the Nuggets hurt more. They have to unload this guy. He's leaving. He's all but said it. But everyone knows he's leaving. They have to get something for him.

I'm suprised Philadelphia isnt trying to get him. Unless Melo just flat out said he didnt want to go to Philadelphia. I mean, they have Iggy, Holiday, Turner, Young, Brands bloated contract ( probably unmoveable ).

Iggy
Lou Williams ( pretty good PG )
T.Young
Jason Kapono ( 6 million expiring )
1st rounder

for

Melo
Al Harrington ( Nuggets get rid of his contract ).

Why would either team not do this trade? Philly keeps Turner, Holiday and Speights. Nuggets get cap relief with Kapono's expiring. They also get rid of Harrington's horrible contract. And pick up Iguadala, a nice young PG in Lou Williams and a really good young forward in Young. Plus a unprotected 1st rounder which will be a lottery pick.

Obviously Melo needs to sign the extension for this to happen, but if the Nuggets are trying to get something and the Knicks decide not to break up there young guys, this would be a pretty good deal.

xBulletproof
01-20-2011, 03:12 AM
He's going to get max years, max money no matter where he goes.

Yes, but with the new CBA this summer, you realize if they cap salaries at anywhere near $15 million per season, he will be losing near 30 million dollars over the next 4 years, right?

Foul on Smits
01-20-2011, 03:37 AM
Well i thought the extension was 3 yrs 65 million. So he would lose 20 million if the salaries are capped at 15 million, but realisticaly, i cant see the players letting the NBA cap salaries at 15 million.

xBulletproof
01-20-2011, 03:56 AM
Well i thought the extension was 3 yrs 65 million. So he would lose 20 million if the salaries are capped at 15 million, but realisticaly, i cant see the players letting the NBA cap salaries at 15 million.

What you're missing is that if he signs an extension it's not for 3 years, essentially it's for 4. He has an option year for next season but by signing the extension it becomes an accepted option year as well.

Even in the current setup of the NBA, the max salary for him is only $16 million if he opts out of his contract. Dropping a couple million isn't a remote possibility. Especially if the owners get the BRI percentage the players are entitled to changed, it will trickle down to lower max salaries.

Even though max salary for Carmelo is right now at 16 million, that number only applies to the first year of any new contract. By extending it he avoids being bound by that number, and is suddenly only bound by the percentage of pay increase that he's allowed from year to year. Which because he'll be making OVER that maximum salary, his increases are greater as well because they're based on a percentage of your salary.

There's no way to avoid it. Even if the salary structure doesn't change, Carmelo will be taking a huge pay cut by waiting until the summer.

CableKC
01-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Prokhorov finally realized what many have thought...Melo isn't worth the price that the Nuggets are asking for.

I hate that it looks like Melo will now go to the Knicks....but I hope that the Knicks and Melo force the Nuggets to take a "below the market" offer. I'll have to throw up after I finally hear that Melo is going to the Knicks...but it would serves the Nuggets right for screwing up the best trade scenario that they could have made to move Melo.

Kstat
01-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Melo had nothing to do with this. Denver's front office is full of idiots that got greedy and saw come back to bite them.

Kstat
01-20-2011, 05:51 AM
IMO, Melo will still wind up in NJ, after Denver comes crawling back begging for what was by far the best offer they had. It probably will cost them one of the picks they were going to get.

Mourning
01-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Prokhorov finally realized what many have thought...Melo isn't worth the price that the Nuggets are asking for.

I hate that it looks like Melo will now go to the Knicks....but I hope that the Knicks and Melo force the Nuggets to take a "below the market" offer. I'll have to throw up after I finally hear that Melo is going to the Knicks...but it would serves the Nuggets right for screwing up the best trade scenario that they could have made to move Melo.

I rather have the Nuggets take as much from the Knicks as they can. The more, the merrier. The Knicks with Felton, Amare and Anthony and maybe making a move for Paul (in which case they could dangle Felton for the Hornets to soften the blow for that franchise).

IF we ever want to get to the finals and win a championship I rather have 6 teams being "ok" and 2 being "elite" instead of having 2 teams being "ok" and 4 teams being "elite". The less potential elite teams we can face the better it is IMHO.

Btw I prefer we keep Granger. Let's first fire our coach then get a new one, implement a new system and see how it pans out.

Hicks
01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I thought this was a good read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkeEUn8oDAoGIkL0W3iYDKK8vLYF?slug=aw-prokhorovnets011911

bulldog
01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Melo had nothing to do with this. Denver's front office is full of idiots that got greedy and saw come back to bite them.

I know you always say everything with absolute certainty, but I'm pretty sure you don't have any inside information here. I'm basing my opinion off of Melo's statements the week before the scheduled meeting, when he first denied the existence of a meeting, then made several comments alluding to not wanting to play for the Nets.

To me, that all adds up to Prokorov trying to save face by "angrily" canceling the meeting in disgust. But I guess we don't really know, unless the trade actually does go through. My main point is to not take the Nets statements at face value, this whole episode is very consistent with Melo just not wanting to play alongside a slumping Brook Lopez and over-the-hill Chauncey and Rip in north New Jersey for two years.

ballism
01-20-2011, 12:14 PM
As a basketball fan, these are the combos I'd love to see the most:
- Denver comes back begging, lowers their price, and Nets can afford both Melo and Steve Nash to pair with Brook Lopez
- Dallas gets Melo for Butler's insured expiring + Beaubois
- NY gets him and keeps at least one of Gallo/Fields/Chandler
In either of these scenarios, we'll have a very intriguing team to watch, and in the first two cases, two All NBA nice guys (Nash and Dirk) get a chance to end carreers trully competing. Way more fun than Nets just giving away most of their talent for Melo and Hamilton.

As Indiana fan, I'm a bit dissapointed this deal didn't happen. Nets with only Melo, Lopez and Hamilton would be very beatable for us anyway, and would have wasted all of cap space for many years.