PDA

View Full Version : Stanko having a breakout year!

Dee-Squared
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/blog_brunner.html

Stanko having breakout year in Euroleague
-Caught in the Web
-By Conrad Brunner
Jan. 19, 2011

The Pacers knew this would be an important year in the development of European prospect Stanko Barac. But it looks like the blossoming big man is exceeding expectations.
Barac has earned high praise in the European media for his performance with Caja Laboral (in Vitoria, Spain) and is now considered one of the top prospects in the EuroLeague.

"Long considered a promising center prospect, the pressure was on this year as Barac was inserted into the starting lineup," wrote Euroleague.net on Jan. 12. "But if there were questions, Barac answered them quickly and emphatically. Barac, 24, has posted some of the best statistics in the competition and was a rock in the middle for Laboral as it rallied from a rare losing streak to reach the Top 16 as one of the hottest teams around!"

The 7-1 Barac, 24, was drafted No. 39 overall by Miami in the 2007 NBA Draft and acquired by the Pacers in exchange for an '09 second-rounder. In his first full season starting in Euroleague competition, he was the only player to rank in the top 10 in scoring (14.1), rebounding (6.7) and blocked shots (1.3).

Barac was also the subject of a recent feature by Netscoutsbasketball.com, which described him as "a big-man with legit size for the NBA, good lower-body strength and shot-blocking ability to fight the athletes that attack the rim in North America. He has good shooting ability to hit long-twos in pick-and-pop sets and good passing skills of the post."

Sounds like Barac just might turn out to be worth the wait.

SMosley21
01-19-2011, 05:28 PM
I was just about to post this. Him having a breakthrough is timed perfectly with all of our contracts coming off the books (as long as there isn't a lockout). Hopefully we bring him over and he plays well for us. Roy can use the help.

xBulletproof
01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Worth the wait? I dunno. Worthy of a roster spot on a cheap contract to maximize our cap space while finding out? Certainly.

pacer4ever
01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
He sounds like a way better fit than Roy in JOB's offense. Can pick and pop and a good passing big man nice combo. But those rebounding numbers are pretty soft how many mins does he play? How is his defense is he a shot blocker??

Trader Joe
01-19-2011, 05:33 PM
STANKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I have never laughed harder than the moment we traded for him. Bird said he'd get a pick in that draft and did he ever.

bphil
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I give him a 3% chance of ever suiting up for the Pacers. That's up from my 0.5% estimate last year... :dance:

cdash
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Where's StankoLover at?!?

Merz
01-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Where's StankoLover at?!?

Isn't there a little StankoLover in all of us.

Marlin
01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
He sounds like a way better fit than Roy in JOB's offense. Can pick and pop and a good passing big man nice combo. But those rebounding numbers are pretty soft how many mins does he play? How is his defense is he a shot blocker??

How is 6.7 rebs in the Euroleague soft?! Either you're kidding, or you don't have a great feel for the European game..

(btw, he plays about 26 mins per game, which is a little below the Euroleague average for a starter)

Speed
01-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Trade chip?

MiaDragon
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Trade chip?

IMO YOU'RE a better "trade chip" than he is, or at least more realistic one anyway.

Justin Tyme
01-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Trade chip?

ABSOLUTELY! Especially with his play this year.

Drewtone
01-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Trade chip?

Stanko or StankoLover???

One of them, I'd consider untouchable.

Lord Helmet
01-20-2011, 03:45 AM
He will bring pride back to states of Indiana. Very excite for Stanko!

Foul on Smits
01-20-2011, 03:53 AM
I'm just rooting for the guy cause i want to start a " PUT SOME STANK ON-IT ... * Clap Clap.. Clap Clap Clap *" chant.

Natston
01-20-2011, 04:00 AM
More Strengths, More Powers...

Mourning
01-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Cool! Good for him, I hope it could be good for us too. Still a waite in progress, but it's nice to hear good things from that front.

ballism
01-20-2011, 06:26 AM
He is signed with his team through 2015 though. Don't know if he has any opt out clause for joining NBA, or a buyout.

ballism
01-20-2011, 06:52 AM
How is 6.7 rebs in the Euroleague soft?! Either you're kidding, or you don't have a great feel for the European game..

(btw, he plays about 26 mins per game, which is a little below the Euroleague average for a starter)

I wouldn't call it soft, but it definitelly is very average and not awe-inspiring.
Over the last 10 years, there were only 5 times when a player averaged over 10 rebounds for a Euroleague season. But 6.7 per 26 minutes? It's non-impressive for a 7'1 guy. Compare it to some other players this season:
- 18 year old prospect in this year's draft Valanciunas - 5.2 rebounds in 14 min
- another prospect, 21 yo Tibor Pleiss - 6.3 in 19 min
- Ioannis Bouroussis - 7.1 in 18 min
- D'Or Fisher - 6.9 in 20 min
- Mirsad Turkcan - 6.7 in 20
and the list goes on. And that's keeping in mind that Europe has been lacking great rebounders for a number of years now, ever since Mirsad Turkcan started to slow down.

He's still big, still has skills, but he's def not the most impressive rebounder. Average even for Euroleague.

Marlin
01-20-2011, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't call it soft, but it definitelly is very average and not awe-inspiring.
Over the last 10 years, there were only 5 times when a player averaged over 10 rebounds for a Euroleague season. But 6.7 per 26 minutes? It's non-impressive for a 7'1 guy. Compare it to some other players this season:
- 18 year old prospect in this year's draft Valanciunas - 5.2 rebounds in 14 min
- another prospect, 21 yo Tibor Pleiss - 6.3 in 19 min
- Ioannis Bouroussis - 7.1 in 18 min
- D'Or Fisher - 6.9 in 20 min
- Mirsad Turkcan - 6.7 in 20
and the list goes on. And that's keeping in mind that Europe has been lacking great rebounders for a number of years now, ever since Mirsad Turkcan started to slow down.

He's still big, still has skills, but he's def not the most impressive rebounder. Average even for Euroleague.

Well, it's still good for 5th in the tourney and I'll tell you, I'd love to have a guy bring down close to 7 rebounds per game on my team. I'm sure you've watched him and yeah, I'll give you that he doesn't look impressive on the boards, yet he still gets the job done, sorta like Scola when he played back here in Vitoria.

As for the guys you mentioned, Valanciaunas is a semi-freak, and I see you know him well. He's more like an exception now. Same could be said for Pleiss, who has already been drafted and yet can't stay on the floor more: he may be similar rebounding wise, but needs polishing.
Bourussis, Fisher, Turkcan...you list'em as if they're some average rebounders :p They're the best rebounders in Europe right now, excuse me if he's a little behind people who are perceived as exceptional rebounders :p

Meanwhile, he still rebounds better than guys like Tomic, Lavrinovic, Jawai, Batiste, Teletovic, Robinson, Rasho :o, Jagla, Perkins..every single one of them capable of shifting the balance of a game, and playing more than him, yet their rebounding numbers are lower. Sometimes we look at NBA numbers and say "well, that dude isn't even over 8 rebs per game" or "that PG must suck, he hasn't more than 4 ast per game", when in reality those are pretty good if not elite numbers. I know that's not your case, but here I cannot agree with you, IMO Stanko is rebounding pretty well especially for his frame.

Marlin
03-02-2011, 06:36 AM
I got the chance to watch Caja Laboral - Barcelona a pair of days ago, always a good game and obviously there's our beloved Stanko. You may know Barcelona is probably the best team in Europe, won the last Euroleague, and has the deepest and most talented roster. With Ndong, Vazquez, Lorbek, Perovic and Morris they have the closest thing to an NBA caliber big men rotation. I said this specifically because Stanko basically schooled them: ended up with 20 pts (7/11 from the floor, 9/7 free throws) and 13 rebounds (5 off.), drawing the best valutation with 30 (it's a formula to evaluate a player's game with his stats) which was the best in the game.
Caja Laboral is a good team, yet quite far from Barcelona's level, but Barac and Huertas (PG) managed to keep them in the game up to about 8 minutes to go, when Navarro and Lakovic broke open the game for Barcelona.

If this game is any proof, Barac has developed into one of the best centers here. Obviously that's not his average, but he's making a habit of stepping up against strong competition. He has refined his rebounding and defensive skills, not drawing as many fouls: those two were a problem , as for any 7'2 center out there probably (remember Roy had the same issues, it's due to the frame). I even saw him blocking a pair of dunk attempts :)
Offensively, he has gained a very soft touch around the rim, and played a great pick and roll with Huertas all game long: that's probably his best skill, Barcelona never found an answer to that play until he got to the bench, gassed.

Basically I was impressed with him. In the last year he has taken huge strides, and you can see he plays with more confidence than at the start of the season, when he was starting for the first time replacing Splitter. He's still young, he's still 7'2, if we have a spot next year I'd be in favor of bringing him over and see what he can do in the NBA. I see him as a serviceable big, could be part of the rotation IMO.

Frostwolf
03-02-2011, 07:47 AM
it's always great to get some context into stats, especially for players who we rarely get to see play.

hopefully stanko can come over soon (next season?) and become a nice piece in the big rotation.

McKeyFan
03-02-2011, 08:29 AM
(7/11 from the floor, 9/7 free throws)
Sign him now. He could truly revolutionize the game.

(Great post otherwise, Marlin ;) )

beast23
03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I got the chance to watch Caja Laboral - Barcelona a pair of days ago, always a good game and obviously there's our beloved Stanko. You may know Barcelona is probably the best team in Europe, won the last Euroleague, and has the deepest and most talented roster. With Ndong, Vazquez, Lorbek, Perovic and Morris they have the closest thing to an NBA caliber big men rotation.

Don't hold out. What are your thoughts on Lorbek as well?

naptownmenace
03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
I think the Pacers should take a serious look at both Lorbek and Stanko this summer. Stanko they should definitely make an offer to and try to get him on the team while he is still under 25. Hopefully they can get him signed and he can train with Roy (conditioning) and Bill Walton (footwork and post positioning) before next season.

bphil
03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
If the Pacers do eventually put this guy on the roster, they need to have "Stanko" on his jersey instead of "Barac." That would increase his jersey sales by at least 5,000,000%. I know I would buy one...

McKeyFan
03-02-2011, 12:24 PM
If he comes here, he needs to start using his middle name.

IndyProdigy
03-02-2011, 04:28 PM
So what is it actually going to take to get him back over here? Do we have to wait til a certain time frame? how soon can we get him on the floor in a uniform?

BornReady
03-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm always intrigued by prospects like this :)

Gamble1
03-02-2011, 05:28 PM
SO I have tried to find some video on him and the best thing I got was from Conrad Brunner this october playing against the Spurs in a preseason game. The video does show his range which is as deep as Hibberts IMO and his ability to play "some" defense. He also has a ok jump hook. What suprises me is that he is really decisive in this game. He gets the ball and he either shots it if he has room or faces up and backs his man down. Again its one game in the preseason but atleast its NBA talent that we all know.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_101022.html

17 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks against the spurs

CableKC
03-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know the buyout status of Stanko?

Next season, we need some Frontcourt Depth....especially at one of the Backup Center spots.

I'd be perfectly cool with having a Frontcourt rotation of Hibbert/StartingPF???/Hansbrough/Foster/Stanko ( assuming that McBob goes on to greener pastures ).

grace
03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't give a rat's pattootie about front court depth...I just want STANKOLOVER to post more often. :D

pacer4ever
03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
He looks like Nenad Krstic and Rasho N combo

BringJackBack
03-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Actually to me he just seems like Roy that uses his jumper more than post ups.. I was thinking that we may need an energizer bunny at backup center going forward, but another skilled big would be nice as long as he's not overpaid.

yoadknux
03-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Maccabi (my euroleague team) will play against Caja. I'll follow him :D

Marlin
03-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Don't hold out. What are your thoughts on Lorbek as well?

Tough to say from that game, he had like 4 points/4 rebs in 20 minutes. It may be just my opinion, and granted I've seen just a few games of his lately, but he looks like he has peaked, and the crowded frontcourt they have in Barcelona sure doesn't help him. He's never gonna shoot over someone at the rim, that just isn't his game, he plays below the rim and I'm not sure we need that. He still has that sweet jumper out to the 3 point line, where he is pretty effective, good bb IQ and does the right thing more often than not, yet there are times you wonder where he is. On defense, on a team full of shotblockers, he's really not pne of them. He gets through with skill, positioning and all those little things, but he'll never be mistaken for a shutdown pf/c. And IMO he lacks lateral speed to guard pfs, which is kind of a concern.

Obviously this is just an opinion, take it with a grain of salt..as I said, judging a player in that crowded of a frontcourt is tough. If I had a choice, I'd take Stanko, but it may be just me :)

MyFavMartin
03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Would the proper verb tense be "You got Stanked!", "You got Stanko'ed!" or "You just pulled an IU!"?

Deadshot
03-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Would the proper verb tense be "You got Stanked!", "You got Stanko'ed!" or "You just pulled an IU!"?

Stankown3d

beast23
03-03-2011, 11:54 PM
I think the Pacers should take a serious look at both Lorbek and Stanko this summer. Stanko they should definitely make an offer to and try to get him on the team while he is still under 25. Hopefully they can get him signed and he can train with Roy (conditioning) and Bill Walton (footwork and post positioning) before next season.

WELL..... CRAP..... So much for Stanko. I found the following that was posted in November 2010.

http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews/transactions/2010-11-signings/i/77755/4465/caja-laboral-locks-up-barac-till-2015

CAJA LABORAL locks up Barac 'till 2015

Caja Laboral made sure to keep its best inside player for a long time by announcing Tuesday that center Stanko Barac signed a three-year contract extension that will keep him in Vitoria through 2015. Barac (2.17, 24) was already under contract through 2012. He has taken over the starting center position this season following the departure of All-Euroleaguer Tiago Splitter and the team has not missed a beat. Barac has shined with 14.5 points, 7 rebounds and 1.5 blocks as Laboral has started the Turkish Airlines Euroleague season with a 2-0 record. In the Spanish League, Barac has been worth 11.6 points, 7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks this season, helping Laboral to a 4-1 start. Barac first signed for the club in 2007, but spent one season on loan at Valencia before becoming an integral part of the Laboral rotation the past two seasons. He began his career with Bosnian club Siroki, whom he helped win the 2007 Bosnian championship. Barac won the Spanish championship last season and the Spanish King’s Cup in 2009 with Laboral. He has also represented the Croatian national team at the European championships and the Olympic Games.

Gamble1
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
WELL..... CRAP..... So much for Stanko. I found the following that was posted in November 2010.

http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews/transactions/2010-11-signings/i/77755/4465/caja-laboral-locks-up-barac-till-2015
Ballism already posted that he was signed until 2015. No one knows how much it would take to buy him out.

bphil
03-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Stankown3d

I cannot wait to use this. Please, Larry, get this guy over here ASAP.

bphil
03-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Stankown3d

Finally got this put together...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292/5497209618_271ddfc17d_z.jpg

naptownmenace
03-17-2011, 09:25 AM

At least the Pacers should have enough cash available this summer to buy him out of his contract or sign him to an amount large enough that he can pay his own buyout in installments.

To Ballism:

That picture is so awesome! Put some Stankonit!

xIndyFan
04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
found this stuff on hoops hype (http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm). looks like stanko will be playing for indiana lockout permiting.

The Indiana Pacers are mulling over the idea of signing Stanko Barac, who is under contract with Baskonia until 2015. El Correo (http://baskonia.elcorreo.com/noticias/2011-04-06/barac-radar-pacers-20110406.html)

Sources close to the Spanish club consider "a real option" that Barac could jump to the best league in the world next season. El Correo (http://baskonia.elcorreo.com/noticias/2011-04-06/barac-radar-pacers-20110406.html)

"You never know what's going to happen," says the Croatian, who is "happy" in Vitoria. Noticias de Alava (http://www.noticiasdealava.com/2011/04/06/baskonia/barac-sopesa-sus-opciones-de-dar-el-salto-a-la-nba-a-partir-de-la-proxima-campana)

Barac has an opt-out clause every summer to play in the NBA if he pays an amount close to $1.5 million. Noticias de Alava (http://www.noticiasdealava.com/2011/04/06/baskonia/barac-sopesa-sus-opciones-de-dar-el-salto-a-la-nba-a-partir-de-la-proxima-campana)

BringJackBack
04-06-2011, 10:54 AM
WOAHHH!! This is unexpected..

Justin Tyme
04-06-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll only believe it when I see Stanko in a Pacers uni.

I still feel he makes a good trade chip.

xIndyFan
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I'll only believe it when I see Stanko in a Pacers uni. . . .

i feel much the same way. but stanko is an international player [ie euro], whose style would seem to match up well with roy. be nice to see if stanko is quick enough to play in the NBA.

Jared Sullinger
04-06-2011, 11:19 AM
There are two full-blown articles on Stanko, so it seems to be Serious Business.

Barak, on the radar of the Pacers (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbaskonia.elcorreo.com%2Fnoticias%2F 2011-04-06%2Fbarac-radar-pacers-20110406.html)

Barak weighs his options to make the leap to the NBA after next season (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noticiasdealava.com%2F2011%2F04 %2F06%2Fbaskonia%2Fbarac-sopesa-sus-opciones-de-dar-el-salto-a-la-nba-a-partir-de-la-proxima-campana)

Speed
04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I love the Google translator.

"Aware of the shortage of five cigars on the market and the projection of the natural heir to the template Tiago Splitter, Josean Querejeta undertook at the beginning of this season Barak renewed until June 30, 2015. "

Five Cigars, indeed!

What?

Speed
04-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Or

" The silence of the implicated Asked yesterday about this possibility at the end of morning training, Barak refused to release excessive clothing. "

Maybe he was just cold, I'm not really sure.

BPump33
04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I know Morway did a Q&A with some season ticket holders last week and he mentioned "that we have an NBA ready center in Europe."

Take from that what you will (probably nothing), but it does sound like Stanko is in the plans.

I wish I had more information on the Q&A, but I really don't. We gave up the chance to sit in the suite and listen to the Q&A so we could stand and cheer in Area 55 on Friday.

BringJackBack
04-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Well, since I'm both bored (I'm sick so I can't go to school today) and a homer, I'm going to go ahead and show some highlights:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0O4LyXGdKrI?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

naptownmenace
04-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Well, since I'm both bored (I'm sick so I can't go to school today) and a homer, I'm going to go ahead and show some highlights:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0O4LyXGdKrI?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What I'm really impressed with is how well he moves for a guy his size. He's like Rasho Nesterovic with quickness.

He looks taller and bigger than Roy Hibbert. He can score out to the 3 point line, finish on either side of the block, face the basket and put the ball on floor effectively, and defend the basket without fouling. :drool:

Whoever the Pacers get in the draft and through free agency, we'll need to remember that this guy is coming over as well. I'm liking the Pacers chances moving forward.

dal9
04-06-2011, 12:29 PM
barac>duncan

Speed
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM
He looks smart and deliberate. He does remind me of Rasho. I wonder if he can defend the pick and roll, an NBA staple. I could definitely see him as a nice back up to Roy. He looks pure Center, in those highlights. I also wonder about cost. You can't pay him more than a back up wage.

I'll say this, I see worse back up centers in the league already, almost every game.

xIndyFan
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
nice clip, thanx. bjb

fun to watch someone using their height advantage to shoot over guys smaller than them. pacers could really use that.

he does look like rasho. if he turns out that good, i will be thrilled. :happydanc

PaceBalls
04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Larry Bird's shaved knuckle.

I really hope we bring the Stank here.

yoadknux
04-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Uh, he's not that good. wasn't very good against us (Maccabi) at least

dal9
04-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I know Morway did a Q&A with some season ticket holders last week and he mentioned "that we have an NBA ready center in Europe."

Take from that what you will (probably nothing), but it does sound like Stanko is in the plans.

couldve meant andrew betts

Ozwalt72
04-06-2011, 02:13 PM

The only thing he's ready for, at 33 years old, is retirement.

PacerGuy
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM

If he did not mean "The Stank", more likely it is Labek.

NapTonius Monk
04-06-2011, 04:43 PM
barac>duncan:lol2:

ballism
04-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Rasho Nesterovic with quickness.

However, Rasho is a better rebounder at age 35 than Barac is atm. Barac has more range though, but isn't as efficient around the basket.
Less mobile, less skilled Bargnani?
I'd resign Foster as a third option, just in case.

The big question to me, how much does Barac get if he comes over? Rookie scale won't apply. So Pacers would have to open the wallet.
Does he get Splitter's money (3 years, 11m)? Kleiza's (4 years, 19m)? Delfino's (3y, 8-11m)? It surely won't be a Solo type of deal.

04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Haven't seen anything that awesome since...

http://photos.indystar.com/photos/2009/3/20/240221/immersive.jpg

The Danny Granger headband attempt.

BringJackBack
04-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I actually thought it was cool when he wore the headband.