PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Excused From Nets

pacer4ever
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Jan 19, 2011 1:58 PM EST
The Nets have excused Troy Murphy from the team, according to Al Iannazzone of The Record.

New Jersey general manager Billy King is expected to address Murphy's absence on Thursday.

The forward has been mentioned in the proposed three-team trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to the Nets.

Since coming over in a trade with the Pacers last summer, Murphy has appeared in just 18 games for the Nets.

Via Al Iannazzone/The Record
New Jersey Nets

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71225/20110119/murphy_excused_from_nets/#ixzz1BWBlHtTc

Unclebuck
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
wow

Sookie
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Yea..wow..

Trader Joe
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Trade time?

hoops_guy
01-19-2011, 04:28 PM
I think it's safe to say that Avery never got his poor man's Dirk Nowitzki.. Turns out he's more like a homeless man's Matt Bonner.

Sookie
01-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Trade time?

It's going to be unfair if we have to play Denver with Billups and Melo..and then have to play the Nets with Billups and Melo..

Doddage
01-19-2011, 04:29 PM
:laugh: ... Yeah, it's a broken record, but I still can't believe we got DC for this guy.

pacergod2
01-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Bird is terrible!

Deadshot
01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
:laugh: ... Yeah, it's a broken record, but I still can't believe we got DC for this guy.

The kicker was having to take on Posey's contract too...

Peck
01-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Doesn't suprise me at all.

BlueNGold
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Would anyone here take him back for Posey?

I don't think I would.

pacer4ever
01-19-2011, 05:29 PM

I don't think I would.

yes he expires this yr. Posey doesnt expire till next year that is a easy yes.

vnzla81
01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Bird is terrible!

Well he was, for letting the clown of Jim to use Troy as the best player on the team and play him infinite minutes.

Peck
01-19-2011, 05:35 PM

I don't think I would.

Hell no.

cdash
01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

**** that. And have Murphy come in and sabotage our chemistry and steal minutes from McRoberts and Hansbrough? You are out of your mind. So what if his contract is expiring? We are already oozing with cap space and Posey's contract isn't that ornery.

brewpopps
01-19-2011, 05:48 PM

I don't think I would.I know you say "Would anyone here..." but we all realize that the Coach here would take him back, camp him out at the 3 point line and play him ungodly amount of minutes.

Merz
01-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Are you serious?

15-18 minutes of Posey is way, way better than 29 - 34 minutes of Murphy

BringJackBack
01-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Why don't we just do the deal and waive Matador? Would Bird do that if the opportunity presented itself?

Hoop
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Are you serious?

15-18 minutes of Posey is way, way better than 29 - 34 minutes of Murphy
Losing is still losing, at least they'd BOTH be gone after this season.

cgg
01-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I would take back expiring for dead cap space every time.

Sookie
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
**** that. And have Murphy come in and sabotage our chemistry and steal minutes from McRoberts and Hansbrough? You are out of your mind. So what if his contract is expiring? We are already oozing with cap space and Posey's contract isn't that ornery.

Posey's taking minutes from them anyway.

And I don't mind Posey..but I'd rather have the cap space or trade piece. (remember..he'd be averaging a double double for us)

Merz
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Losing is still losing, at least they'd BOTH be gone after this season.

I never want to see Murphy playing center ever again.

If we have a different coach next season Posey might actually be able to do something we might actually like...in probably less minutes.

pacer4ever
01-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Thats easy LB buy's him out it is hypothetical anyway but that would be way smarter than another yr of posey

rock747
01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
I think it's safe to say that Avery never got his poor man's Dirk Nowitzki.. Turns out he's more like a homeless man's Matt Bonner.

And he used to be the Pacers' starter just a year ago...

Kemo
01-19-2011, 07:23 PM
I really don't understand all the Murphy hate... He was just simply misused, under a coach so enamored with his stretching the defense, that he got a pass on defense , instead of having his a$$ rode by coaching staff to PLAY DEFENSE...

Sure, his defense was akin to tits on a boar, but he was/is still a consistant double double machine, whom btw was out most consistant offensive player for like 2 years in a row with us..
The whole problem with Murphy , was how he was used, as well as the inflation of his ego..
Murphy is the type of player that is the 1st big off the bench that needs to have a defined role... REBOUNDING, REBOUNDING, REBOUNDING ...... while scoring when the opportunity presents itself in the flow of the game...hitting the trailing 3 ..
He also needs 14 to 17 mpg ..

JOB really stroked Troy's ego (TWSS) to the point where I think in NJ he thought he'd be coming in a starter playing big minutes ...and when he didn't this story is what we read..

Sandman21
01-19-2011, 07:59 PM

I don't think I would.

No. Just no. I NEVER want to see Troy Murphy in a Pacers uniform, EVER again. James may get more playing time and is a constant mismatch on D, but I'd do the deal again in a heartbeat (even if it was just Posey for Murphy straight up, no Collison). I'm leaning more and more towards Troy being a lockerroom cancer everytime one of these stories comes out.

McKeyFan
01-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Doesn't suprise me at all.
Really?

I know there were ever so slight rumblings of a bad attitude, but nothing provable.

I'm kinda surprised.

(Although it only furthers the anti-JOB bandwagon.)

Bball
01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Clearly NJ just doesn't understand they need to showcase Murphy with huge minutes to facilitate a trade.

Green?

Pacersalltheway10
01-20-2011, 09:24 PM
I would trade posey for Murphy..... If we cut his *** the milisecond he gets traded back here. But it can't happen anyways. pacers can't require him remember.

BlueNGold
01-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Clearly NJ just doesn't understand they need to showcase Murphy with huge minutes to facilitate a trade.

Green?

I don't think you make that green.

There's psychology to show-casing that actually works. People who WANT to believe a player is worth something, will justify it based on the fact the guy is a starter AND is putting up big stats. Probably more important is that the team show-casing has the fake argument (at the negotiating table) that they value the player and they have stats to back that up. At least it's arguable...and if you have a willing trade partner, it become fairly easy to sell.

In any event, I firmly believe that if we treated Murphy like trash (i.e. like this), we would have been less likely to have acquired Collison and Posey.

BTW, I do NOT believe Jim was show-casing. I think he believed Troy would help the team win. Not sure why he thought that...anyway, I think Bird and TPTB allowed Murphy to burn through minutes to inflate his stats...because they agree with me that it helps them at the negotiating table alot more than a player getting zeroes across the board and a DNP-CD every game.

McKeyFan
01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm glad we got Collison, but I don't think it was worth two years of being below mediocrity.

d_c
01-20-2011, 09:41 PM
I know there were ever so slight rumblings of a bad attitude, but nothing provable.

You can't prove anything, but he's always been a guy who's looked out for his stats, and for good reason.

For example, he voluntarily sat out the last day of the 05-06' season with his rebounding average sitting at exactly 10.0 rpg because he had an incentives clause in his contract that would pay him more if he averaged a double double. Most people would've done the same thing, as the season was done with and the last game was meaningless, but you kind of understand a lot of what his motivation for playing the game is. And the part about Murphy loving to steal teammates rebounds? Now you might know why.

I'm sure he was extremely unhappy with his reduce role in NJ because he's in a contract year. He's a guy who's built his reputation around having good looking stats, and he didn't want to give up that opportunity. Not in a contract year anyways.