PDA

View Full Version : Important Question!

J-Wont
09-07-2004, 01:27 PM
If the Pacers drop Pollard off on the Hawks, with no salary in return, willl they then have enough free cap space to sign someone to the full MLE without going over the luxury tax threshold?
That's what a guy is saying on RealGM

It IS worth noting here that the reason why Indy has not used its MLE is because they are JUST BELOW the luxury tax threshold. If they dump Pollard and receive no salary in return--which is possible here, since the Hawks have quite a bit of cap room right now ($6-$7 mil, I believe), they can absorb the contract--the Pacers will suddenly be able to use their entire MLE. Who might they sign? STROMILE SWIFT. Why not? Jerry West might match it, but it's worth a shot, isn't it?
LINK (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=280033)
If that's true, than Indy should do it no questions asked, especialy if they can get a 2nd rounder in return.

indygeezer
09-07-2004, 01:54 PM
We don't have use of the full MLE...already used part of it. I don not believe this bull pucky of Pollard to Atlanta. THey went thru too much while under the cap to take on a bad contract like his. THey could get some decent ones for anything like picks or whatever they might be willing to give up.

J-Wont
09-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Wasted half of the MLE on a scrub like Anthony Johnson? Sad.
2.45 million is overpaying for Anthony Johnson. There was younger & more talented for cheaper out there. I would have offered Johnson the LLE (1.4M) and if he didn't accept I would've told his ugly *** to kick mud.
Anyways, I'm assuming the reason Indy's not using their remaining MLE (2.45 million) is to avoid going into luxury tax territory. If we traded Pollard we could use it with no worries.
So which would you rather have?
Someone signed for 2.45 million
Atlanta's 2005 2nd
3.3 million knocked off the cap
or
Scot Pollard?
A no brainer IMO.
Now the question is, who's out there that could be had for 2.45 million? Surely theres better than these 2 big stiff foreigners?

Kstat
09-07-2004, 02:49 PM
You already paid 2.45 million for anthony johnson.

What do you think another 2.45 million is going to get you......

I love how we're all experts on spending someone else's millions. Even if there is NOBODY left worth $2.5 million, we want to see it spent anyways.

I'm thinking the owner isn't going to sign off on a $2.5 million investment unless Donnie convinces him that the guy shows real promise.

J-Wont
09-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Kstein, even if Indy did spend the other half of their MLE after this trade, their salary cap would still be 3.3 million dollars lighter. So whats your point?
And I'm sure there's some players out there that could provide more than the nothing Pollard provided last year and will more than likely provide again this year.

Kstat
09-07-2004, 03:16 PM
At this point, even if you WERE able to unload pollard for nothing, management would be better off just saving the cash. There aren't any quality free agent left for that price.

Kstien? So I'm jewish now?

Ultimate Frisbee
09-07-2004, 03:22 PM
How much would Keon Clark cost for a year or two?

ChicagoJ
09-07-2004, 03:23 PM
At this point, even if you WERE able to unload pollard for nothing, management would be better off just saving the cash. There aren't any quality free agent left for that price.

Kstien? So I'm jewish now?

I see a real easy, but completely inappropriate joke....

Putting down the keyboard; walking away...

Kstat
09-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Anyone remember that old TV show, "The Rifleman?" Yeah, it sucked.:p

J-Wont
09-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I dont see the joke.
Does it have something to do with the Jimmy Kimmel citizens burning down Detroit joke and the Holacaust?
And if Keon Clark's healthy and could be had I'd much rather have him than Pollard. The worst he could do is completely suck, which would still make him more valuable than Scot Pollard who completely sucks and then some.

Slick Pinkham
09-07-2004, 04:09 PM
If Keon Clark would sign for the remaining half of the MLE, that would be good value.

That's all we could give him, whether we dropped Pollard for a bag of donuts or not, since we'd still be way over the salary cap.

Dropping Pollard has ZERO effect on the ability to sign someone, other than the fact that total payroll would not increase in the process.

Vicious Tyrant
09-07-2004, 04:11 PM
I like the Keon idea, but Hicks or someone said he has real attitude problems when I mentioned it a while back. Anyone else heard that?

ChicagoJ
09-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Anyone remember that old TV show, "The Rifleman?" Yeah, it sucked.:p

Ouch.

ChicagoJ
09-07-2004, 04:29 PM
I like the Keon idea, but Hicks or someone said he has real attitude problems when I mentioned it a while back. Anyone else heard that?

He's had some drug arrests/ legal problems in downstate Illinois (his hometown). He's not any worse to have on your team than say, Randolph or Wells. Of course, he's not *that* good of a player, either...

Ultimate Frisbee
09-07-2004, 07:04 PM

He's had some drug arrests/ legal problems in downstate Illinois (his hometown). He's not any worse to have on your team than say, Randolph or Wells. Of course, he's not *that* good of a player, either...

Keon's had that and a few attitude problems over the years... But I'm not really sure if he is that much of a risk to team chemistry... He has the athletic skills to help out at C here... I'm really not sure if he'd sign for half of a MLE though...

Maybe because he was injured all of last year, because no one trusts that he will be healthy and not a detriment, and because it is this late in the signing period we could get him for half the MLE...

RA231
09-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Is Slowmile Swift still a free agent?

Ultimate Frisbee
09-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Is Slowmile Swift still a free agent?

Yep, but I'm pretty sure the Grizz would match anything we could offer... I also doubt Stromile would accept anything under the MLE.