PDA

View Full Version : Pacers MVP is Mike Dunleavy?

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 11:17 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/britt_robson/01/18/power.rankings/index.html

No. 21
Indiana Pacers (16-22)
This is a difficult call. Indiana's figurehead star, Danny Granger, is having a bad year; theoretically valuable primarily for his scoring, he is converting a career-low 42.3 percent from the field, his true shooting percentage is below league average and his PER is barely above average. Center Roy Hibbert would have been an obvious choice in early December, but he has endured an extended slump. Let's go with Mike Dunleavy, who leads the Pacers in true shooting percentage and win shares per 48 minutes while having the most positive impact of any Indiana player.
MVP: Mike Dunleavy
Runner-up: Roy Hibbert

vnzla81
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Is this the bleacher report?

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Nope ,

Check the link. Its Si's NBA Power Rankings

pacer4ever
01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
:bs::picardriker::notamused::bs2::wtf2::spock:

xBulletproof
01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Who else would it be? Granger and Hibbert have played like ..... horribad. Who else? Besides that.

Per 100 possessions on offense with Dunleavy on the court: 104.8 points
With Dunleavy on the bench: 99.9

That's 4.9 points better with Dunleavy on the court.

Per 100 possessions on defense with Dunleavy on the court: 101.9
With Dunleavy on the bench: 108.4

Our defense is 6.5 points worse with Dunleavy on the bench.

Just sayin.

croz24
01-18-2011, 11:42 PM
this happens when you have people who think they can understand players and the game by only looking at stats as opposed to watching the games.

SMosley21
01-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Duh!!

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 11:53 PM
The writers decision is not based just on stats. He used the stats to back up what he thought

croz24
01-19-2011, 12:04 AM
The writers decision is not based just on stats. He used the stats to back up what he thought

not sure what you mean considering he uses only shooting %, per, true shooting %, win shares per 48 minutes, and +/- to make his case. sounds to me like somebody who enjoys analyzing stats as opposed to watching the games and forming an opinion based on what is taking place on the court.

Anthem
01-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Who else would it be? Granger and Hibbert have played like ..... horribad.

How many times this year have you thought "Wow, that was a good game by Dun?" Not many.

Sookie
01-19-2011, 12:16 AM
For the month of December I agree..Granger/Hibbert for November...Collison for January..

sportfireman
01-19-2011, 12:22 AM
You all do realize Roy is the runner up for MVP..... LOL.

ReginaldWayne
01-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Sorry, but way to many times have I seen Dun being beat off the dribble 1 on 1. Whether it is Wade or Deshawn Stevenson.

cdash
01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
How many times this year have you thought "Wow, that was a good game by Dun?" Not many.

How many times this year have you thought, "Wow, Danny and Roy played awful."? More times than you've said it about Dun.

Doddage
01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
If this was the 07-08 season, I'd completely agree.

Mark
01-19-2011, 12:44 AM
If I had a really short term memory I would say Collison, but then again there were times when Granger had really great games. I would say Granger is probably the MVP, although he hasn't really earned it. No one else has really stepped into the role to unseat him.

Heisenberg
01-19-2011, 12:46 AM
For the month of December I agree..Granger/Hibbert for November...Collison for January..
Sounds about right. DC's reinvigoration is what I'm most excited about seeing the rest of the year. I know we all expected a lot out of him, but I feel like a lot of people sometimes forget he's a 2nd year player that's in an almost night and day different offensive approach to not just his last stop in NO, but also his 4 years at UCLA.

Anthem
01-19-2011, 01:26 AM
How many times this year have you thought, "Wow, Danny and Roy played awful."? More times than you've said it about Dun.
Nope. Danny's had a bad year, but not as bad as Dun.

Agree that Roy's been worse lately.

Sookie
01-19-2011, 01:31 AM

Dun had a really good December after a poor November.

We didn't talk about it..but notice no one was screaming for his head.

bballpacen
01-19-2011, 01:36 AM
If I had a really short term memory I would say Collison, but then again there were times when Granger had really great games. I would say Granger is probably the MVP, although he hasn't really earned it. No one else has really stepped into the role to unseat him.You are correct... Granger is the teams MVP thus far, if only by default... He has played rather poorly, but there is no one who really has stepped up their game so far...

maragin
01-19-2011, 01:45 AM
It will be a long time before there is Conseco-wide chant of MVP for someone in a Pacers jersey.

ilive4sports
01-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Regardless of Danny having a poor year (which is being exaggerated on here), he is still MVP of this team. He's won us games with his play. It hasn't been from a clutch shot, but there are certainly games where he has played excellent and led us to the win. Hell lets look at the stats.

Granger:
21.2 ppg (shooting 42.3%, 38.5% from 3) 5.5 rpg, 2.8apg, 1.2 spg, .95bpg, 2.7topg

Dunleavy:
11.4 ppg (shooting 43.4% 35.7% from 3), 5.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, .68 apg, .65 bpg, 1.1 topg

Yeah, Dunleavy is definitely the MVP of this team...

Everyone on the team has been inconsistent. Hibbert was great through November, as was Granger. Dunleavy had a pretty good December. And Collison is definitely playing the best this month. But overall its Danny. No one on the team has stepped up and played at Danny's level. Sure he is having a down year, but his down year is still better than anything else his teammates are doing.

righteouscool
01-19-2011, 02:55 AM

Defenses aren't keying in to stop Mike Dunleavy, I'll tell you that much.

Dr. Awesome
01-19-2011, 03:47 AM
This author is the Jim O'Brien of journalism.

cdash
01-19-2011, 04:03 AM

I don't think Dunleavy is the MVP of our team, but he might be the "least disappointing" of the main contributors. Granger has had a bad year, but he's still the MVP of this team. Roy's season has quickly turned miserable. Darren hasn't really disappointed me that much, as I still blame the system for his relatively disappointing numbers.

Certainly I don't think Dun has had a "bad" year. He's been our most consistent player for most of the year.

xBulletproof
01-19-2011, 04:06 AM
I don't think Dunleavy is the MVP of our team, but he might be the "least disappointing" of the main contributors. Granger has had a bad year, but he's still the MVP of this team. Roy's season has quickly turned miserable. Darren hasn't really disappointed me that much, as I still blame the system for his relatively disappointing numbers.

Certainly I don't think Dun has had a "bad" year. He's been our most consistent player for most of the year.

Pretty much.

I really think they should have left our "MVP" spot empty. I'd hate to reward what we've seen out of Hibbert or Granger with that label.

BKK
01-19-2011, 04:39 AM
After the 1-10 game and the huge choking in the 4th quarter where he missed like 3 or 4 shots in a row vs the Clips, I laughed pretty hard reading the title of this thread :)

BringJackBack
01-19-2011, 06:05 AM
I'd give it to Collison since he's the only player that has been pretty good ALL SEASON. Doesn't make boneheaded plays like Mike, Danny, and Roy do, scores the ball at a good clip, plays pretty good defense (Much improved), and has had some monster games.

Unclebuck
01-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Here is what Mike does so well.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110119/SPORTS04/101190353/1062/SPORTS04/Pacers-Dunleavy-still-waits-1st-trip-playoffs

By Mike Wells
What (Dunleavy) means to us is that he knows offensive basketball and he knows the schemes of defensive basketball," O'Brien said. "He does everything right every day in practice. When you have a guy that does everything right every day at practice, he's a great model for anybody that's younger than he is."

here is a quote from Mike -

"We've got a good group of young guys," Dunleavy said. "It's been fun growing here. I love being in Indiana. I love the organization and the coaching staff. We'll see what happens."

D-BONE
01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
JOB write in: James Posey

jhondog28
01-19-2011, 09:00 AM
To be MVP Danny needs to step up in big games. He seems to fade in big game situations. I think Mike has been the most consistent player, but I agree MVP is about producing wins. No one on our team seems to produce wins by themselves. It takes a team effort for us to win. The MVP should have been empty.

HOOPFANATIC
01-19-2011, 09:05 AM
This author is the Jim O'Brien of journalism.
:D

Trophy
01-19-2011, 09:12 AM
...And the runner up is Roy?

Maybe earlier in the year it could've been considered.

I think DC has been playing the best out of anyone.

graphic-er
01-19-2011, 09:16 AM
I would still say Danny just for the very fact that the Pacers have a very good record when his shooting % is in the high 40s or 50s. MVP to me mean the player most valuable to getting wins. When Danny is on his game and efficient. We win.

pacergod2
01-19-2011, 10:05 AM
As Danny's shot selection goes, we as a team go.

When he is taking the ball to the rim, we an entirely different team. He needs to be better passing out of the drive, though. Danny needs to get better, but he needs someone to push him to get better. I am hoping that Paul George becomes that guy. Tyler is the backup that will push the starters to be great in the front court. Price at PG. Dunleavy and Foster will hopefully be the veteran teachers for us going forward. They just need to both make about 20% of what they do right now for this team to obtain more talent. If Jeff was making $2M and Mike $4M, then we could put some better players in front of them, which is our problem. Nobody really deserves to start over them, which again promulgates the rotation issues we have dealt with for a long time.

SMosley21
01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Regardless of Danny having a poor year (which is being exaggerated on here), he is still MVP of this team. He's won us games with his play. It hasn't been from a clutch shot, but there are certainly games where he has played excellent and led us to the win. Hell lets look at the stats.

Granger:
21.2 ppg (shooting 42.3%, 38.5% from 3) 5.5 rpg, 2.8apg, 1.2 spg, .95bpg, 2.7topg

Dunleavy:
11.4 ppg (shooting 43.4% 35.7% from 3), 5.3 rpg, 1.8 apg, .68 apg, .65 bpg, 1.1 topg

Yeah, Dunleavy is definitely the MVP of this team...

Everyone on the team has been inconsistent. Hibbert was great through November, as was Granger. Dunleavy had a pretty good December. And Collison is definitely playing the best this month. But overall its Danny. No one on the team has stepped up and played at Danny's level. Sure he is having a down year, but his down year is still better than anything else his teammates are doing.

Dunleavy - 151/348 FGs
Granger 272/643 FGs

Shade
01-19-2011, 12:08 PM
You know your team sucks when you argue about who your "least bad" player is.

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
You know your team sucks when you argue about who your "least bad" player is.

a very sad "no doubt"

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-19-2011, 01:35 PM
At first I thought this was a joke I just wasn't getting. Now I see people are serious...

:imout:

Mackey_Rose
01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Am I the only one who finds it interesting that when the team was playing well, Dunleavy looked like a guy who couldn't have played for the Mad Ants. Then, when the team started really struggling, Dunleavy was one of the few bright spots.

I wouldn't call that kind of influence MVP-worthy.

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I just think Dun is the most consistent

not consistently bad , nor consistently good.

As the infamous quote "He is what we thought he is"

cdash
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Am I the only one who finds it interesting that when the team was playing well, Dunleavy looked like a guy who couldn't have played for the Mad Ants. Then, when the team started really struggling, Dunleavy was one of the few bright spots.

You can't really blame Dunleavy for that. When we were playing well, Roy didn't have his head shoved two feet up his ***, Granger was playing dedicated defense and wasn't chucking up so many contested jumpers, and the schedule was a little lighter.

Foul on Smits
01-20-2011, 01:13 AM
I'd say the fans that keep showing up to the games are the MVP's of this sad team.

Unless MVP stands for Most Vexatious Player. Then yeah, Mike Dunleavy is MVP of our team.

Mackey_Rose
01-20-2011, 06:29 AM
You can't really blame Dunleavy for that. When we were playing well, Roy didn't have his head shoved two feet up his ***, Granger was playing dedicated defense and wasn't chucking up so many contested jumpers, and the schedule was a little lighter.

While I agree with what you're saying, that does indicate to me that both Granger and Hibbert are more valuable than Dunleavy.

At least the way I look at value of a player.

HOOPFANATIC
01-20-2011, 07:04 AM

Ive noticed that for years now, whenever Mike had a good game a good percentage of them were losses. I'm a Mike fan, but he really is the type of player who should be playing spot minutes. Instead until recently, especially once the losing started, he was getting the star player minutes IMO,the "must have on the floor or we'll lose minutes" I'm sure Mikes flattered but he knows he's not that guy. Roy needs to be "that"guy. When they were playing well they were running the offense through Roy as soon as he started getting scouted better and Jim publicly destroyed his confidence we went away from what was working and started feeding Danny again.