PDA

View Full Version : Agree or Disagree with this quote?

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1379#ixzz1BQafqUau

Eric P in Naptown:
Hey EP, For the sake of Pacer Nation could Jim O'Brien have done anything differently last night to "contain" Blake better? Pacer fans want his head on a platter!

Eric Pincus:
I actually think O'Brien is a good coach getting the most he can out of a below average roster. This is a team committed to getting under the salary cap and waiting for that day. The Pacers compete way harder than they should. If he wasn't a good coach, they'd be the Kings this year.

Sorry dont know how to set up a poll, but thought the writers look was refreshing , unbiased opinion

also like the comment about playing hard

Unclebuck
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I would tend to agree, although the Pacers have better players and a better coach than the Kings.

Trophy
01-18-2011, 04:26 PM
We are definitely not like the Kings at all.

Our best player plays SF and we have better players too.

aaronb
01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
I would tend to agree, although the Pacers have better players and a better coach than the Kings.

I'd say Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins both have higher upsides than anyone on this Pacers roster.

Though it might be possible that Danny Granger is better than both guys are today?

Gamble1
01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1379#ixzz1BQafqUau

Sorry dont know how to set up a poll, but thought the writers look was refreshing , unbiased opinion

also like the comment about playing hard
I have a hard time listening to sports writers comment on small market teams. For one there are 30 teams and most of which the writers will only follow a little bit because lets face it talking about the pacers won't bring in the readership.

Its also a stupid question IMo but whatever.

xIndyFan
01-18-2011, 04:30 PM
i think this phrase pretty much covers how most NBA followers that are not pacer fans feel about the pacers

Eric Pincus:
I actually think O'Brien is a good coach getting the most he can out of a below average roster.

if you look back at the pre-season predictions, they were all full of these kind of comments. and so far it seems pretty accuate. :sigh:

Sookie
01-18-2011, 04:31 PM
No.

And we've been through reasons why.

How can any coach be good if he absolutely sucks at adjustments and rotations.

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I have a hard time listening to sports writers comment on small market teams. For one there are 30 teams and most of which the writers will only follow a little bit because lets face it talking about the pacers won't bring in the readership.

Its also a stupid question IMo but whatever.

What is a stupid question bro?

Gamble1
01-18-2011, 04:42 PM
What is a stupid question bro?
He is asking a sports writer if a NBA coach could have done anything better to contain Blake and then makes a general statement like thats the reason why PacerNation wants his head on a platter because Blake destroyed us in one game. For one it assumes that the guy even watched the game and it also makes the fans look like we overreact to one game.

Its a softball pitch question to a guy who doesn't even care to answer it directly.

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Its a softball pitch question to a guy who doesn't even care to answer it directly.

but they can only post about 30 questions during the chat, of which they get well over 200 submitted

Gamble1
01-18-2011, 04:51 PM
but they can only post about 30 questions during the chat, of which they get well over 200 submitted
IMO its still not a good question and its an even worse answer to a direct question.

Hicks
01-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I agree that he gets this team to play as hard as they can. I disagree that he does everything possible to maximize our talent.

Young
01-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Based on where the "experts" predicted the Pacers to finish then yeah O'Brien looks like he is doing a good job.

However if you follow the team and know what they have the potential to do then you would not agree that O'Brien is doing good.

Oh and i'll add that BG's performance has nothing to do with Pacer fans wanting Jim out the door. Few fans have wanted him around after his first year.

Shade
01-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Disagree 100%.

Eric Pincus...why is that name familiar?

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Disagree 100%.

He's a writer at Hoopsworld and also covers the Lakers and Clippers for the LA Times and does radio as well I believe.

He is fairly well connected to the league it seems

D-BONE
01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't like O'Brien, but I think the roster is not that talented.

How are people so convinced about our potential and our young guys ability to reach it? Wall, Favors, Cousins, Griffin, and the like. Do people really feel that guys like Rush and Hibbert have higher ceilings than them regardless of the coach?

I don't know. Sure it's possible, but I think there is a lot of overvaluing of our young guys. We are solid role player central, IMO, without the dynamic guy(s) to make them effective.

pacer4ever
01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
He's a writer at Hoopsworld and also covers the Lakers and Clippers for the LA Times and does radio as well I believe.

He is fairly well connected to the league it seems

I really like him pretty good writer. I follow his chats at hoopsworld

D-BONE
01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Disagree 100%.

I think he used to post here on occasion several years back. Anybody remember that?

vnzla81
01-18-2011, 05:17 PM
He is a good coach? :lol:

Sookie
01-18-2011, 05:19 PM

How are people so convinced about our potential and our young guys ability to reach it? Wall, Favors, Cousins, Griffin, and the like. Do people really feel that guys like Rush and Hibbert have higher ceilings than them regardless of the coach?

I don't know. Sure it's possible, but I think there is a lot of overvaluing of our young guys. We are solid role player central, IMO, without the dynamic guy(s) to make them effective.

They aren't as talanted.

But I feel like, with the proper coach, and the type of players we have, we have the possibility of becoming a "the sum is greater than the parts" type of team..with the addition of one more all star calibeer player. (Like Iggy, for example) and if that player isn't a PF, then a starting PF.

Kegboy
01-18-2011, 05:21 PM
I actually think O'Brien is a good coach getting the most he can out of a below average roster. This is a team committed to getting under the salary cap and waiting for that day.

I can understand someone saying this. I may not agree with it, but I can understand it.

However...

The Pacers compete way harder than they should.

WTF is he smoking?!

Lastly,

If he wasn't a good coach, they'd be the Kings this year.

Uh, we had Luthor Head, we never had to come close to starting him. Pacers roster >> Kings roster.

vnzla81
01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Uh, we had Luthor Head, we never had to come close to starting him

He started 10 games last year http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/headlu01/gamelog/2010/

Kegboy
01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
He started 10 games last year http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/headlu01/gamelog/2010/

Geez, why do you have to ruin my perfectly well intentioned post with your stupid facts. :kickcan:

Gamble1
01-18-2011, 05:34 PM
I think that was do to injuries but I could be wrong.

vnzla81
01-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Geez, why do you have to ruin my perfectly well intentioned post with your stupid facts. :kickcan:

Sorry, I just had to point out what kind of clown we have as a coach, I would also ad that LH has started 10 games for the Kings this year.

Sookie
01-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I can understand someone saying this. I may not agree with it, but I can understand it.

However...

WTF is he smoking?!

Lastly,

Uh, we had Luthor Head, we never should have come close to starting him. Pacers roster >> Kings roster.

I fixed it. See, that's why we have a coaching problem.

Pacersalltheway10
01-18-2011, 06:29 PM

No but guys like Paul George do. In 5 years people are going to be doing the Paul George instead of the John Wall.

xIndyFan
01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
No but guys like Paul George do. In 5 years people are going to be doing the Paul George instead of the John Wall.

+1
:citizenkane:

Eleazar
01-19-2011, 12:16 AM

I would like to add that the combination of Collison, Rush, and George has the potential to be one of the best back courts in the league.

Heisenberg
01-19-2011, 12:42 AM
I want him gone as much as the next guy, but I'd agree that JOB's overachieved here, his first 2 seasons especially. Consecutive 36 win years out of a team whose second best player was Troy Murphy and whose best was a borderline All Star (predominately because of JOB's system IMO) is overachieving if you ask me.

That said, he's no longer the right coach for the gig. He's a solid stop gap that can make a below average team somewhat relevant, meaning in the playoff mix, that otherwise may've been markedly worse and is biding their time until they hit the light at the end of the tunnel. Well, the light's here and it's time for someone new. I very much dislike the way JOB handles this young roster, but I will always be of the opinion he got the most out of his roster for the most part.

BringJackBack
01-19-2011, 07:11 AM
I want him gone as much as the next guy, but I'd agree that JOB's overachieved here, his first 2 seasons especially. Consecutive 36 win years out of a team whose second best player was Troy Murphy and whose best was a borderline All Star (predominately because of JOB's system IMO) is overachieving if you ask me.

That said, he's no longer the right coach for the gig. He's a solid stop gap that can make a below average team somewhat relevant, meaning in the playoff mix, that otherwise may've been markedly worse and is biding their time until they hit the light at the end of the tunnel. Well, the light's here and it's time for someone new. I very much dislike the way JOB handles this young roster, but I will always be of the opinion he got the most out of his roster for the most part.

This is my view on it as well, and this is the best possible way to put it.

There is no way in the world that a starting line-up consisting of TJ Ford, a rookie Brandon Rush, Danny Granger, Troy Murphy, and a rookie Roy Hibbert should win a team 36 games. No way in the world. It got worse the next year. Earl Watson, a regressed Brandon Rush for much of the season, an injured Danny Granger, Troy Murphy, and Roy Hibbert. Not to mention the lack of a bench.

Jim will win a poor team more games than they should, but he also refuses to rebuild and will consistently push the wrong buttons such as James Posey over Josh, Rasho over Hibbert, or TJ over AJ. Soooo, had we just stuck it out with a common sense coach who would have cost us to lose 25 games or so, we may be sitting on some significantly better players than Rush and Hansbrough.

This year it is all different though. The young team is more talented than in the past. Darren is 2x better than Ford and Watson, Troy is thankfully gone, and our young guys are playing better. The veterans are significantly worse, besides Mike. Solomon, Posey, and Ford are terrible.. But Jim still plays them. The issue with Jim is not how hard he gets us to play, or how he gets points on the board, its how he refuses to play the best players because he may feel like they are not a good fit in his offense. Not having a good 3 point shooting power forward or shooting guard (Dahntay and Hansbrough), too young or inexperienced (Lance and Paul), or the insistance to play veterans. After we saw Posey on Amare instead of Josh, Hans, etc., we knew that he has a shady view of young guys (as if we didn't already know :laugh:).

He also thinks too hard and he's a big time statistician. We all know that and I'm not going to get into that.

Unclebuck
01-19-2011, 08:18 AM
No.

And we've been through reasons why.

How can any coach be good if he absolutely sucks at adjustments and rotations.

And I contend if you go to the Kings forum their fans think that Westphal is bad at adjustments and rotations - and or other important things. And I also contend that if you go to a each teams forum that you will find fans complaining about the coach. Maybe not to the degree as here, but to a certain degree yes. Die-hard fans rarely think their coach is doing everything right and especially after two or three years die-hard fans in a lot of circumstance just get sick of the coach.

Sookie
01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
And I contend if you go to the Kings forum their fans think that Westphal is bad at adjustments and rotations - and or other important things. And I also contend that if you go to a each teams forum that you will find fans complaining about the coach. Maybe not to the degree as here, but to a certain degree yes. Die-hard fans rarely think their coach is doing everything right and especially after two or three years die-hard fans in a lot of circumstance just get sick of the coach.

I've watched a lot of different teams with a lot of different coaches.

I disagree with some of their choices. And I'll admit, as a Uconn fan, I've been beyond spoiled with Auriemma and Calhoun...but I've watched a lot of other..not as good..coaches as well.

I haven't seen a coach as bad as O'brien at those two key things.

Now, I haven't watched Westphal coach..but if he's bad at adjustments and rotations..he's a bad coach too. But Westphal has crap to deal with that O'brien just doesn't.