PDA

View Full Version : Finally Measuring Up

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18509

Yesterday's game between the Los Angeles Clippers and Indiana Pacers has caused quite a stir among NBA fans, and rightfully so. In case you missed it, LA's Blake Griffin poured in 47 points, grabbed 14 rebounds and even dished out three assists in leading the Clippers to a 114-107 win over the Pacers. Griffin has really been on a tear, averaging 27.5 points, 13.9 rebounds and 3.8 assists over the his last ten games, seven of which were wins by the good guys. Over that stretch the Clippers have beaten the Los Angeles Lakers, Miami HEAT and Denver Nuggets, so it's not as if they just hit a soft spot in the schedule. The Clippers are beating good teams behind the play of their impressive young rookie.

This is how it used to be. Teams with high draft picks could realistically expect to be better immediately, rather than waiting for years to see if a player pans out, as happens to often these days. The Class of 2010, for example is painfully short on instant-impact players. John Wall has played well at times, but beyond Wall you're not going to find an instant-impact player in the entire first round of the 2010 rookie class.

After Griffin in the 2009 rookie class you have to drop down to pick number five to find a true impact player. Tyreke Evans has been a force for the Kings, Stephen Curry (7th overall) is a solid young player, James Harden (3rd) shows potential for the Thunder, and DeMar DeRozan (9) and Brandon Jennings (10) have bright futures in the league, but none of these has shown franchise player potential for their respective teams.

The 2008 draft was more like the classic drafts of the 80's and 90's, with Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Eric Gordon and Brook Lopez all coming in the top ten and all having strong impacts on their teams today. After that, however, you have to go back to 2005 and Andrew Bogut to find a top pick with true instant impact ability, and to 2004 and Dwight Howard to find a dominant player taken first overall.

The NBA draft is becoming more and more of a craps shoot, with teams gambling more and more on what a player might become in the future rather than what they already are. In that climate, it's refreshing to see a top pick quickly living up to his billing, especially for a franchise desperately in need of good news.

Blake Griffin is the real deal, and as a result the Clippers are a team on the rise.

This is why I really hope the Pacers find a way to deal next years pick, and I would be willing to take a chance on someone like Anthony Randolph than another draft pick

pacer4ever
01-18-2011, 03:45 PM

This is why I really hope the Pacers find a way to deal next years pick, and I would be willing to take a chance on someone like Anthony Randolph than another draft pick

THIS IS WHY I WISH WE WOULD/ WOULD OF REBULID/REBUILT THR RIGHT WAY

Trophy
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM

I agree.

I think we can get a decent and experienced PF for maybe a few expires and this first round pick.

We really don't need another young guy who will take time to improve. We need experience, but someone who is still fairly young.

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 04:04 PM
I agree.

I think we can get a decent and experienced PF for maybe a few expires and this first round pick.

We really don't need another young guy who will take time to improve. We need experience, but someone who is still fairly young.

yep unless we lucked into some 3-4 year college stud who could contribute right away

aaronb
01-18-2011, 04:27 PM
yep unless we lucked into some 3-4 year college stud who could contribute right away

Fools gold trying to compete with such a flawed core.