PDA

View Full Version : Quotes from the mouths of Pacers

Pacerfan
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

Posey on not shaking Griff's hands, "He tried 2, I declined. He already gave us 40 and Iím going to shake his hand and thank him. I'm good"
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

Granger on Griffin's performance, "Anytime anybody in the NBA scores 47 points on you, you should be smacked."

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeWellsNBA
This made me smile for some reason..thought this board needed something to smile at.

joew8302
01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Not shaking his hand is pretty classless. Although, I knew Posey didn't have much class after what he did to Hinrich a few years ago.

ballism
01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Hey, at least he stood up against Griffin on something. Even if it was after the game, better than nothing!

BringJackBack
01-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Lol, I find this pretty awesome, not classless. Too many times I've seen other players (particularly TJ) be all buddy-buddy before and after games and that's what aggravates me. After a loss players aren't supposed to put happy faces on and go hug their buddies from another team. When Lebron did it a couple of years ago I didn't care. What was he supposed to do, give Dwight a big hug and a kiss on the cheek after his team just choked away an opportunity to win a championship?

xBulletproof
01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
You can at least shake his hand and say good game. Doesn't mean you're friends, it just means you acknowledged him as a competitor and athlete. He just happened to beat you so easy it was like clubbing baby Seals. Not his fault, it's yours.

Sookie
01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Yea I expect better from Posey

Hicks
01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
It's classless.

Pacerfan
01-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Posey usually is the first to go up to the other team and shake their hands after games. While it may have been classless, it's not a repetitive thing as far as after game handshakes. It just made me smile because these guys at least gave a crap that he scored that many points on them and they weren't going to just take it lying down (even though it was after the game).

Scot Pollard
01-17-2011, 08:52 PM
james posey isnt as sweet of an angel as jim may think for some of his past actions

i read that hes been arrested before

naptownmenace
01-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I think the real reason he didn't shake his hand is because of what seemed to happen after he got whistled for a foul on Griffin that led to an And-1.

It was toward the end of the game and as Griffin went to the free throw line Posey said something. He was upset about the foul call or about not getting any help from the weak side. Whatever he said, Griffin thought it was hilarious and just laughed at Posey while shaking his head. That seemed to really tick Posey off. So after the game there was no hand shake.

It was still classless. I just think he was angry at Blake and that was his motivation for withholding the hand shake.

Roaming Gnome
01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Shaking your opponents hand is sportsmanship...

Sorry Posey, It's classless & a punk move on your part. You lost your opportunity to say something about the 47 he dropped on you and your teammates as soon as the final horn sounded.

ColeTheMole
01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I love it. Posey and Hibbert are the only ones who actually show emotion looking like they care. Although Hib does get too emotional sometimes, I would rather have them be too emotional than not enough.

Roaming Gnome
01-18-2011, 11:31 AM
I love it. Posey and Hibbert are the only ones who actually show emotion looking like they care. Although Hib does get too emotional sometimes, I would rather have them be too emotional than not enough.

What does emotion have to do with being a poor sport after the game is over?!

Unclebuck
01-18-2011, 11:35 AM
it makes zero difference to me whether the players shake hands after the game or not. if they do it great, if they don't great

flox
01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Not everyone in the NBA should be friends. That's not class if you don't shake someone's hand.

Gamble1
01-18-2011, 11:41 AM
it makes zero difference to me whether the players shake hands after the game or not. if they do it great, if they don't great
I totally agree with this. This isn't the Olympics to me.

pacergod2
01-18-2011, 11:46 AM
I think it is classless, but at the same time, I don't hate it. We have a bunch of pansies on this team and I am glad we have someone who cares about winning, even if it is childish. If we were the team from several years ago, I would say it's a bigger deal, but with the team we have right now, I can't tell half the time if they would rather roll over and die than compete. Granger is disappointing right now with the way he is carrying himself. He wants to play the part of the team leader and go to scorer, but he chucks terrible shots in crucial situations. Posey was the only one who went at Griffin as hard as he went at us. Foster did everything he could, but it was really no use. Griffin scored on both players at will. Granger and Dunleavy were laughable on the few defensive plays against Griffin. Yet, our most athletic big sat on the bench the whole God damn game. ****ing horrible. Abso****inglutely horrible. Hansborough was just outmatched athletically. I expect a big game from Griffin when he plays us, but that was absurd. Griffin really got "out-veteraned" yesterday!

OK. I don't mean to be the emotional, ranting turd burglar here, but my shrink wants me to be more emotional. So there it is.

DaveP63
01-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Torn...Part of me likes it because he (and the team) just took an *** whoopin' and he didn't want to say thanks for it. The other part says it's pretty classless. Right now, I think I'm siding with the not saying thanks for the *** whoopin' part...

imawhat
01-18-2011, 11:58 AM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

Posey on not shaking Griff's hands, "He tried 2, I declined. He already gave us 40 and Iím going to stand at the three point line and bomb away. I'm good"
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

What he really said.

HOOPFANATIC
01-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Article from NY Times.

[QUOTE] If you just hate it when pro basketball players are too chummy on the court, or when the NBA fines LeBron James for not shaking hands, you're not alone.
Larry Bird has a hard time with those parts of today's NBA, as well. "I don't believe in it," said the old Celtic legend this past week about the camaraderie now seen in the NBA. "I think there's a little too much of it going on. I had a different mindset when I played. I always wanted to keep an edge. I always wanted to have the upper edge. That's how I approached it, even when I coached. I could never have a close relationship with my opponents. I thought if I did I'd lose my edge. "I didn't shake hands when we lost to the Lakers," recalled Bird, now the Pacers' president. "I never shook hands. When the Lakers and Celtics played, we didn't shake hands. When I first got to play against Magic, there was a hate factor there. It was more than just dislike."
/QUOTE]

I agree with Bird.

Trader Joe
01-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Lebron got absolutely dragged over the coals for walking off the court against Orlando without handshakes and that was against a rival, in a heated moment, and IMO more defensible.

Anyone who doesn't do the same to Posey is talking out of both sides of their mouth because I remember that this board wanted to tar and feather Lebron for that.

Blake had a huge game and offered to shake your hand, you should acknowledge. Weak sauce boys, weak sauce.

Posey should have accepted the handshake and then tried to talk about getting better and viewing giving up that many points as an insult after the game, instead he acted like a child.

I don't think in the long run it's that big of a deal, something to be too upset about, but there are definitely better ways to show your frustration and desire to win.

Although Granger's quote is pretty much spot on, they should be smacked.

Trader Joe
01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
james posey isnt as sweet of an angel as jim may think for some of his past actions

i read that hes been arrested before

Let's hang him.

Now back to reality....

See this is the swinging pendulum that most of you here on PD seem to live on now. Yes, what Posey did was not a solid sportsmanship move, but is it really something where we need to go and dig up every moment of his past that may not be choir boy, picture perfect?

Give me a break. I completely agree that Posey should not have decided to ignore the hand shake, but then to start making claims against character and saying, "ZOMG, I heard he was arrested befores!!!!!"

People get arrested all the time, the simple act of getting arrested shouldn't be something people bring up every single time you make a mistake (is every person that has ever been arrested automatically a bad person, yesterday we celebrated the holiday of a man who would certainly disagree with that sentiment, but I digress), especially one, that let's be honest as much as we might not agree with it, is pretty minute in the scheme of things.

graphic-er
01-18-2011, 12:53 PM
The way Griffin plays, it would be very easy to "pull his chair out" from underneath him and get a travel call, I'm surprised Posey didn't try it especially on that last possession where Griffin was playing hockey while backing Posey down. He was really throwing his weight around there.

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 01:10 PM
I dont think its a big deal at all, nor classless. Does anyone remember a player by the name of Michael Jordan? He would never , ever , shake a hand after getting waxed.

Now if it's a situation like a playoff series, like when The Bulls finally beat the Pistons to advance to the NBA finals, the whole team walked off the floor without shaking a hand

That is my definition of classless

Posey was heated and rightfully so, but it was a regular season game

Maybe the Pacers player should be more concerned with how they got their azzes kicked up and down the court , and let a rookie have a career high

vapacersfan
01-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Lebron got absolutely dragged over the coals for walking off the court against Orlando without handshakes and that was against a rival, in a heated moment, and IMO more defensible.

Anyone who doesn't do the same to Posey is talking out of both sides of their mouth because I remember that this board wanted to tar and feather Lebron for that.

Blake had a huge game and offered to shake your hand, you should acknowledge. Weak sauce boys, weak sauce.

Posey should have accepted the handshake and then tried to talk about getting better and viewing giving up that many points as an insult after the game, instead he acted like a child.

I don't think in the long run it's that big of a deal, something to be too upset about, but there are definitely better ways to show your frustration and desire to win.

Although Granger's quote is pretty much spot on, they should be smacked.

Thank you. I personally think atheltes today are WAY to friendly, but if this was Lebron James or D. Wade this thread would be at 500 pages already.

While it is rare, I agree with UB. I could care less if guys shake hands or not. I think it has become the norm, but I would have no problem with these guys getting away from all this hugging and *** slapping stuff after the games

vapacersfan
01-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Let's hang him.

Now back to reality....

See this is the swinging pendulum that most of you here on PD seem to live on now. Yes, what Posey did was not a solid sportsmanship move, but is it really something where we need to go and dig up every moment of his past that may not be choir boy, picture perfect?

Give me a break. I completely agree that Posey should not have decided to ignore the hand shake, but then to start making claims against character and saying, "ZOMG, I heard he was arrested befores!!!!!"

People get arrested all the time, the simple act of getting arrested shouldn't be something people bring up every single time you make a mistake (is every person that has ever been arrested automatically a bad person, yesterday we celebrated the holiday of a man who would certainly disagree with that sentiment, but I digress), especially one, that let's be honest as much as we might not agree with it, is pretty minute in the scheme of things.

No, no, people never change.
<O:p</O:p
Everyone who makes a mistake in their 20's is bound to be a felonious murderous rapist who has no character and is going to hell :rolleyes:

Mr_Smith
01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Oh well....The hand shake was the only thing that Posey could shut down. He couldn't shut down Griffin during the game, more power to him.

xBulletproof
01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
The way Griffin plays, it would be very easy to "pull his chair out" from underneath him and get a travel call, I'm surprised Posey didn't try it especially on that last possession where Griffin was playing hockey while backing Posey down. He was really throwing his weight around there.

He did try it once, and got called for a foul. It was a horrible call. I guess getting out of his way is a foul now. I yelled at my TV with a big WTF!

Dr. Awesome
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Its funny.

I see Posey do it and I'm like "Come on man, show some class!"

Then I read Bird's quote and I'm like "I agree!"

I fail.

Hicks
01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
I agree with the idea that it's anti-competitive to be practically hugging and kissing your opponent at tip off, but show some respect when the game is over. I don't care how good or popular you are. And let's not forget, this isn't a case where neither player felt like shaking hands. Blake actually went to him to shake his hand, and James still turned him down. You don't have to run over and shake 15 players' hands after the game, but if someone comes to you to do it, show some respect.

dgranger17
01-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree with the idea that it's anti-competitive to be practically hugging and kissing your opponent at tip off, but show some respect when the game is over. I don't care how good or popular you are. And let's not forget, this isn't a case where neither player felt like shaking hands. Blake actually went to him to shake his hand, and James still turned him down. You don't have to run over and shake 15 players' hands after the game, but if someone comes to you to do it, show some respect.

Did you see the look on Griffin's face when he went up to shake Posey's hand? It looked to me like, "I just smoked your *** for damn near 50 and I want to get a reaction out of you." If you're going to call Posey "classless" for not shaking the dude's hand then throw Blake under the bus too for basically being an ******* after the game and rubbing it in.

I don't care that Blake did it intentionally or that Posey didn't do it. It doesn't even matter, actually so I'll just stop typing

pacer4ever
01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Did you see the look on Griffin's face when he went up to shake Posey's hand? It looked to me like, "I just smoked your *** for damn near 50 and I want to get a reaction out of you." If you're going to call Posey "classless" for not shaking the dude's hand then throw Blake under the bus too for basically being an ******* after the game and rubbing it in.

I don't care that Blake did it intentionally or that Posey didn't do it. It doesn't even matter, actually so I'll just stop typing

Blake isnt like that u have no idea what ur talking about. Blake is one of the most Humble basketball players ive ever watched.

Trophy
01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree that it's part of being a human being to respect someone and at least acknowledge their handshake.

The NBA is becoming so much less competitive and more players want to join as one instead of compete.

If Posey wants to be a competitor rather than a follower, that's fine. He shouldn't be a jerk towards the opposing player either.

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Blake isnt like that u have no idea what ur talking about. Blake is one of the most Humble basketball players ive ever watched.

Not being a dik but how could you possibly come to that conclusion?

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Its funny.

I see Posey do it and I'm like "Come on man, show some class!"

Then I read Bird's quote and I'm like "I agree!"

I fail.

Actually in my book you pass. acknowledging your own fault

vapacersfan
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM

Do you go out for drinks with him every Sunday or something?

vapacersfan
Actually in my book you pass. acknowledging your own fault

Agreed

Trophy

I've seen a few documentaries on Griffin last season and he seemed like a really nice young man who respects his surroundings.

He seems like he wouldn't look to start any kind of trouble on the court.

pacer4ever
01-18-2011, 05:18 PM

I know people who know Blake well. (EJ father)

Plus everyone who deals with him in the media and fans say he is really humble and very nice guy. Plus ive seen some TV shows on blake where he is so humble.

Trader Joe
01-18-2011, 05:20 PM

To be fair, you really have no way of knowing this for sure.

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Do you go out for drinks with him every Sunday or something?

met in the laundry room while washing clothes

just kiddin around dude

vapacersfan
01-18-2011, 05:24 PM
met in the laundry room while washing clothes

just kiddin around dude

Ahh, yeah, I hate when Cliton Potis and Reggie Miller are using up all the washington machines and I can't get any clothes clean.

I have no dog in this fight, but I have met/seen enough people who know how to look good in the media/public but are still first class jackasses. And the other way around for that matter

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Plus everyone who deals with him in the media and fans say he is really humble and very nice guy. Plus ive seen some TV shows on blake where he is so humble.

but you said he was the most humble in the NBA, which would imply you have met and know about all the other NBA players, to make that comparison accurate.

sorry im being a dik now. If you met him and he is humble, that rocks because passion and humility are two of my favorite traits

dgranger17
01-18-2011, 05:28 PM

James Posey isn't a fan nor is he a member of the media.

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Ahh, yeah, I hate when Cliton Potis and Reggie Miller are using up all the washington machines and I can't get any clothes clean.

I have no dog in this fight, but I have met/seen enough people who know how to look good in the media/public but are still first class jackasses. And the other way around for that matter

yeah know I dont want to seem like Im insulting the poster but it is fun makin up jokes on it

Like yeah I hate when Im at the car wash and DG pulls up in his Benz and then all the mexican cats flock to dry his car off, and he laughs at me on the bench while Im waiting for my Nissan that was there first

Sookie
01-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Personally, I think not shaking hands at the end of the game because "your angry" or "You want the upper hand" is shallow and babyish.

It's not a huge deal, but I'll call it what it is. And I don't care if it's MJ or Posey doing it.

Gamble1
01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Personally, I think not shaking hands at the end of the game because "your angry" or "You want the upper hand" is shallow and babyish.

It's not a huge deal, but I'll call it what it is. And I don't care if it's MJ or Posey doing it.
I think its a lot harder to turn off the competitive juices for some players. Call that babyish or not its just the fact that not everyone handles losing like a fan in a arm chair would like.

Trophy
01-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Maybe we should've asked for Emeka Okafor instead of James Posey when we made the trade.

I actually wanted Okafor traded with DC even before we made the deal.

I was just happy we got DC and didn't care who we got and I still am happy we got him.

Sookie
01-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I think its a lot harder to turn off the competitive juices for some players. Call that babyish or not its just the fact that not everyone handles losing like a fan in a arm chair would like.

Sure, some people handle it poorly. Like I said, it's not a huge deal. I'm not going to dislike a player for it. But it's still childish.

xIndyFan
01-18-2011, 05:41 PM
not sure if i feel not shaking hands is classless, but i am glad to see pacer players 'giving a :censored: about the outcome of the game. and would like to see more of that. jmo, but it shows up on how hard they play. it also says something about the games left to play. players still care and are still emotionally invested in the team. good to see. isn't the first sign of a team unraveling, the lack of interest in the outcome of the game. just playing instead of trying to win?? :hmm:

Sookie
01-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Maybe we should've asked for Emeka Okafor instead of James Posey when we made the trade.

I actually wanted Okafor traded with DC even before we made the deal.

I was just happy we got DC and didn't care who we got and I still am happy we got him.

People were agaist Okafor because he has a bad contract.

But thing is, he's a good player that's overpaid. This isn't Dun, this isn't TJ..This isn't a bad player that's overpaid. This is a good player that's overpaid. This is a 28 year old guy who is a good defender that has averaged at least close to a double double (typically does average a double double) since he's been in the league.

I know it's easy for me to say, because it's not my money. But I'd much rather overpay for a guy like Okafor than overpay for a guy like Posey.

Lord Helmet
01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Besides it isn't like Blake is a dbag or anything, from all I've seen is he's a stand up kid.

Posey should have shook his hand once he saw that he offered it. If he didn't come up to shake his hand then I wouldn't be as upset if Posey had just walked off the court.

Oh well.

Trophy
01-18-2011, 05:42 PM

But thing is, he's a good player that's overpaid. This isn't Dun, this isn't TJ..This isn't a bad player that's overpaid. This is a good player that's overpaid. This is a 28 year old guy who is a good defender that has averaged at least close to a double double (typically does average a double double) since he's been in the league.

I know it's easy for me to say, because it's not my money. But I'd much rather overpay for a guy like Okafor than overpay for a guy like Posey.

I didn't mind his contract and for the reasons you're bringing up.

He's a decent and solid big man who could probably play PF well and he played it pretty well a few times in Charlotte.

He'd probably be a defensive stopper on Blake Griffin.

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 05:44 PM

Sook

Was he dominant at UCONN?

dgranger17
01-18-2011, 05:47 PM
I was born in 1987 and graduated high school in 2005. Reggie was a rookie with the Pacers in 1987 and retired in 2005, so we practically grew up together. He's beloved by the fans and the media (so much so that he's part of the media now), but was notorious for his trash talking.

I tell Larry Bird I love him every home game. I have also played cornhole with him at his property in Brown County (I lost... badly. He told me it was only his 2nd day of playing the game, which either shows you that he's that good at everything he does or he was classless by lying to me). Anyway, this means I'm best friends with him. He was extremely humble in his playing days, but that didn't stop him from trash talking his opponents every chance he got.

I'm not putting down Blake for doing what he did, I wish we had more players with that attitude in the NBA, but for those of you who are putting down Posey need to throw Blake in the mix as well. I Love P... osey

Sookie
01-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Sook

Was he dominant at UCONN?

He was. I don't remember if he was player of the year his final season. I believe so.

That was a long time ago though..(I can't believe that..) Okafor's the type of guy that no Uconn fan would ever say anything negative about, for a lot of reasons.

He's not dominant in the NBA, obviously. And him and Jimmy would not be a very good fit. But Okafor is a good starter. Good defensive player, good for offensive putbacks and rebounds. Like I said..he's pretty much been a double double player (and not Troy's kind of double doubles) for years.

90'sNBARocked
01-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Your right he was player of the year

in fact there were more than a few NBA "experts" who blasted Orlando for taking Dwight Howard over him.

The only thing I ever questioned with Emeka was his love for the game

BringJackBack
01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
I was born in 1987 and graduated high school in 2005. Reggie was a rookie with the Pacers in 1987 and retired in 2005, so we practically grew up together. He's beloved by the fans and the media (so much so that he's part of the media now), but was notorious for his trash talking.

I tell Larry Bird I love him every home game. I have also played cornhole with him at his property in Brown County (I lost... badly. He told me it was only his 2nd day of playing the game, which either shows you that he's that good at everything he does or he was classless by lying to me). Anyway, this means I'm best friends with him. He was extremely humble in his playing days, but that didn't stop him from trash talking his opponents every chance he got.

I'm not putting down Blake for doing what he did, I wish we had more players with that attitude in the NBA, but for those of you who are putting down Posey need to throw Blake in the mix as well. I Love P... osey

The bolded part reminds me of this commercial in a way:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOeEpi2pWP8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOeEpi2pWP8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:laugh: