PDA

View Full Version : Hibbert, you're making me sick.

hoops_guy
01-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Let's face it: There are a lot of things wrong with this team. Danny is a choker, our coach thinks too hard and he's an idiot, we don't have anyone to guard bigs, and our system is flawed. But in my opinion our biggest flaw is the negative production from Roy Hibbert.

Jim gave him the green light this year, built the system around him, and he's given him all the encouragement Roy could desire. After a strong first month of the season, Hibbert responds since he airballed the gamewinner at Milwaukee by doing this: 10.0 points, 7.0 rebounds on .395 shooting percentage. I've heard enough excuses.

That is miles beyond pathetic. People complain about how bad Solomon or Posey has been but quite frankly they are disregarding Roy's awfulness. At what point is it not a slump? A couple more weeks, a year? He was 1-8 last game and he was 1-2 this game and he couldn't guard anyone to save his life (its not like he tried either).

When the focal point of the offense consistently sucks what in the world do we do? Give him a month off, trade him? I'd be more patient and just give Hibbert a bench role (about 15 minutes a game), but this is scary. I don't think this is a slump. Hes lost it all.

This isn't Jim's doing. This is Roy's. Roy if you read this I want to say that you need to get your panties out of a bunch and grow a pair and quit playing like you're frightened to death. Enough is enough.

We have gone from having a mini three headed monster in Collison, Granger, and Hibbert that has some potential to nothing ever since Roy got owned by Bogut.

Am I being to hard on him?

SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31
01-17-2011, 07:19 PM
no your not

Shade
01-17-2011, 07:19 PM
If the problem is mental, how is the fault not at least partially JOB's? Jim repeatedly put Roy down publically when he was actually playing well.

We have a lot of players "losing it" mentally. That's generally a reflection of leadership.

BornReady#6
01-17-2011, 07:21 PM
I think so, if you look at this basketball system, big centers are traditionally not the big time players. This system is set up for 1-4's that can spot up and hit the open 3, the 4's that have been successful are Tony Battie, Nazr Mohammed and Mark Blount, so as you can see, a player like foster would thrive where as a player like Roy would, fail.

hoops_guy
01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
If the problem is mental, how is the fault not at least partially JOB's? Jim repeatedly put Roy down publically when he was actually playing well.

We have a lot of players "losing it" mentally. That's generally a reflection of leadership.

After three years of having a mean-spirited coach, you take the harsh things he says less offensive. If he doesn't take the things he says less offensive by now, than I think he has some serious security issues.

hoops_guy
01-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I think so, if you look at this basketball system, big centers are traditionally not the big time players. This system is set up for 1-4's that can spot up and hit the open 3, the 4's that have been successful are Tony Battie, Nazr Mohammed and Mark Blount, so as you can see, a player like foster would thrive where as a player like Roy would, fail.

We re-designed the offense this year to suit Roy's strengths.

joew8302
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Once I saw there were 3 replies I knew one would be a "blame JOB" type reply. Can't say I am shocked. It is rainy here today, that is O'Brien's fault too.

PacersPride
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Center is one of the toughest positions to learn for a young player. Remember Hibbert is only 24 years old. Smits was not great right away. Hibbert dare I say has the potential to be better than Rik.

Let Hibbert gain some experience. He will be solid.

01-17-2011, 07:28 PM
hibbert rushes his offense and is weak , he needs to put some fat back on and stand his ground otherwise he aint going to get better

joew8302
01-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Center is one of the toughest positions to learn for a young player. Remember Hibbert is only 24 years old. Smits was not great right away. Hibbert dare I say has the potential to be better than Rik.

I understand that. With that being said Hibbert is 24 and this is his 3rd year. The "he is young/center is hard/give him time" type excuses are not as legitimate now as they have been in the past.

The thing scaring people isn't his level of production per say, it is the fact that he appears to be regressing at an alarming rate.

Merz
Jim gave him the green light this year, built the system around him, and he's given him all the encouragement Roy could desire.

Built the system around him? This system is terrible for Roy.

Not that I'm making any excuses for him. The way he is playing right now he wouldn't do well in any system.

I'm not going to say he has completely lost the ability to play yet. He's too hard of a worker for this to be it.

xIndyFan
Am I being to hard on him?

no, your not. roy is not playing well. teams are playing him more physically and he is not dealing with it. i wish he'd start running rim to rim more. think collsion [and maybe george] would get him the ball if he could get out on the break.

PacersPride
01-17-2011, 07:30 PM
hibbert rushes his offense and is weak , he needs to put some fat back on and stand his ground otherwise he aint going to get better

prefer muscle over fat. it will take time but Hibbert will get it.

PacersPride
01-17-2011, 07:32 PM
I understand that. With that being said Hibbert is 24 and this is his 3rd year. The "he is young/center is hard/give him time" type excuses are not as legitimate now as they have been in the past.

The thing scaring people isn't his level of production per say, it is the fact that he appears to be regressing at an alarming rate.

Alot of his weaknesses seem to be more technique and understanding of the game that will come in time. i will reserve calling Hibbert out due to current coaching.

Noodle
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM

...so without apologies, your saying yes Hibbert is a problem. Hibbert is not the answer, and as long as I don't go kumbuya like everyone else I will continue to believe so. I have never liked Hibbert. He's slow, clumsy, can't jump and can't shoot. The only reason he is in the league is he has a ridiculously long frame that allows him to get by. Outside of his lone physical attribute and good free throw shooting, I'd say he is borderline starter at best, and that is pushing it for me. He has a chance to be better, yes, but he gets the treatment and the minutes he deserves from his coach. There I said it. Sue me. Now, continue your childish JOB whining, thank you. Peace out.

joew8302
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Alot of his weaknesses seem to be more technique and understanding of the game that will come in time. i will reserve calling Hibbert out due to current coaching.

Ahh yes, I forgot. We have a team full of hall of famers(according to some on here), yet OB is ruining them all.

SMosley21
01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm not buying the whole mental thing. You're a grown man Roy. Sack up and start owning the painted area again.

PacersPride
01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
...so without apologies, your saying yes Hibbert is a problem. Hibbert is not the answer, and as long as I don't go kumbuya like everyone else I will continue to believe so. I have never liked Hibbert. He's slow, clumsy, can't jump and can't shoot. The only reason he is in the league is he has a ridiculously long frame that allows him to get by. Outside of his lone physical attribute and good free throw shooting, I'd say he is borderline starter at best, and that is pushing it for me. He has a chance to be better, yes, but he gets the treatment and the minutes he deserves from his coach. There I said it. Sue me. Now, continue your childish JOB whining, thank you. Peace out.

childish whining.? glasshouses?

Hibbert is struggling, he needs post moves no doubt. a big man coach would be very beneficial. if hibberts attitude and work ethic were poor, i might throw him under the bus like you, but i believe with his desire to succeed, and considering he is younger than 25, im willing to give him another season before making and hasty judgements.

croz24
01-17-2011, 07:43 PM
this thread is full of all sorts of FAIL

01-17-2011, 07:44 PM
prefer muscle over fat. it will take time but Hibbert will get it.

wateva it takes for him to stand in his ground

hoops_guy
01-17-2011, 07:46 PM
this thread is full of all sorts of FAIL

Dare I ask why? The numbers speak for itself.

presto123
01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Hence my recent thread titled HIBBERT.....I don't get it? Didn't see today's game but Roy has been throwing shots up for a while now that have no chance of going in. Wasted possessions. Even in Smits early years he was never this bad a shooter was he?

Shade
01-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Once I saw there were 3 replies I knew one would be a "blame JOB" type reply. Can't say I am shocked. It is rainy here today, that is O'Brien's fault too.

Well, if the shoe fits...

BringJackBack
01-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Roy should have been benched a while back. These have been a long two months for Roy, that's for sure.

xIndyFan
01-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Roy should have been benched a while back. These have been a long two months for Roy, that's for sure.

should have maybe, but he is still the best big or 2nd best behind jeff. he has to play. maybe shorter stints. so he can work harder.

or maybe tyler will start to play better and soak up some of the bigs minutes.

presto123
01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm still not sold that Tyler is better than Josh. I think Josh should soak up some of Roy's minutes. They are both a better option than Hibbert right now.

kester99
01-17-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm still not sold that Tyler is better than Josh. I think Josh should soak up some of Roy's minutes. They are both a better option than Hibbert right now.

Josh is certainly a better option than Solomon, I think.

MiaDragon
01-17-2011, 08:10 PM
should have maybe, but he is still the best big or 2nd best behind jeff. he has to play. maybe shorter stints. so he can work harder.

or maybe tyler will start to play better and soak up some of the bigs minutes.

Maybe not making him the focal point of the offense. Could it be he's putting too much pressure on himself to carry this team? The guy didn't just "forget" how to play, IMO its 50% forcing his game/mental and 50% **** poor coaching. Someone needs to help him read what teams are now doing to him and understand how to beat it. Danny needs to be "the man" (and I don't mean jack up 50 million shots a game) and let Hibbert work off him not the other way around.

speakout4
01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Could it be that Roy was never projected to be Dwight Howard or Kevin Love? He was a 17th pick. Was he supposed to be better than Rush picked much earlier and who is arguably not even starting material.?

xIndyFan
01-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Maybe not making him the focal point of the offense. Could it be he's putting too much pressure on himself to carry this team? The guy didn't just "forget" how to play, IMO its 50% forcing his game/mental and 50% **** poor coaching. Someone needs to help him read what teams are now doing to him and understand how to beat it. Danny needs to be "the man" (and I don't mean jack up 50 million shots a game) and let Hibbert work of him not the other way around.

i'd like to see roy run rim to rim more. get out on the break. do less, but at a higher rate.

Sookie
01-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I want to see Roy..and all of the guys..play for a good coach.

He's 7'2, he's skilled, he puts in a ton of effort and works his butt off. He'll be a very good Center. Jeez, he was last year.

Teams have adjusted to him, and he haven't adjusted back. He puts too much pressure on himself..and I think he's too emotional. Which is hurting his game right now.

Point. Give him time. He's very young and it's his third year..his first year that the team is heavily depending on him. And let him play for a decent coach.

russkiy
01-17-2011, 10:35 PM

He's 7'2, he's skilled, he puts in a ton of effort and works his butt off. He'll be a very good Center. Jeez, he was last year.

Teams have adjusted to him, and he haven't adjusted back. He puts too much pressure on himself..and I think he's too emotional. Which is hurting his game right now.

Point. Give him time. He's very young and it's his third year..his first year that the team is heavily depending on him. And let him play for a decent coach.

I AGREE 100%. Let us see him play for the coach who will play the offence which fit the players, instead of two poinguards or small lineup for the missmatch advantage. This is not college where you can play 6"8 center. Let him play as a center and not running pogo stick. Post him up is not working very well now. So, stop forcing. Let him face the bascket or some other plays that e can get easy baskets. Let him get his confidence back. He can be future for this franchise, so stop bashing the guy!!!!!!

Larry Staverman
01-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Roy did not play well tonight!

Having him try to guard Griffen was nonsense getting him into foul trouble early and giving him no chance.

BBQ
01-17-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm not ready to call for Roy to lose minutes. I believe he is going to return to his early season form at some point this season. He needs to have the experience of playing through whatever this is, otherwise I think he is apt to have these prolonged slumps in the future.

Why bench him now? So we can be 8th seed in the playoffs and watch Miami play 4 home games in a sweep of the Pacers?

Every time Roy steps on the court I am rooting for him out loud, I really want him to do well because he is the embodiment of everything I want professional basketball players to be like.

D-BONE
01-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Roy is physically weak. That is a damning trait for a C around whom you build a post-up-oriented offense.

I don't think he'll ever be a full time post-up guy. Occasional post-up with major need to develop his shot out to 17-18 feet.

He will have to have three to four outstanding players around him to be an effective starter. One of which will have to be a big time physical, inside presence.

He will never be a cornerstone player to build on. Like most of our guys, he can be a solid support player.

We flat out need to find a way to land a cornerstone player. Yes...much easier said than done, but that's what it's going to take to make the next step...a dynamic, game-changing player.

Right now, we don't have one.

BBQ
01-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Roy is physically weak. That is a damning trait for a C around whom you build a post-up-oriented offense.

I don't think he'll ever be a full time post-up guy. Occasional post-up with major need to develop his shot out to 17-18 feet.

He will have to have three to four outstanding players around him to be an effective starter. One of which will have to be a big time physical, inside presence.

He will never be a cornerstone player to build on. Like most of our guys, he can be a solid support player.

We flat out need to find a way to land a cornerstone player. Yes...much easier said than done, but that's what it's going to take to make the next step...a dynamic, game-changing player.

Right now, we don't have one.

I think Roy has shown enough for me to anticipate him addressing his lack of strength in the off season. I mean the guy can only transform his body so quickly.

BBQ
01-17-2011, 11:15 PM
My point...RH will be a decent C on an above average team if he is in a support role. I think that's his ceiling. I think we have a long way to go to get the amount and level of talent around him to make him effective in that role.

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1297473_o.gif

BlueNGold
01-17-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm not buying the whole mental thing. You're a grown man Roy. Sack up and start owning the painted area again.

Obviously you have never known someone dealing with depression. I'm not saying that's Roy's problem. But if it is, your post is downright cruel.

With all due respect, this thread should be closed. Show just a little respect.

luis3ep
01-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Bottom Line - something is going on with Hibbert in his life.. maybe either having family problems, gf troubles.. or just sad about something. I'm sure he wants nothing more than the All-Star break right about now.. i'm fairly positive he'll get out of his funk during the break and has time to just sit back and relax and work things out. His confidence is gone.. and he's playing awful. VERY Poor shot selection, forcing alot of things.. he's regressed to even worse than last year. he needs a good talk with someone.

pacer4ever
01-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Bottom Line - something is going on with Hibbert in his life.. maybe either having family problems, gf troubles.. or just sad about something. I'm sure he wants nothing more than the All-Star break right about now.. i'm fairly positive he'll get out of his funk during the break and has time to just sit back and relax and work things out. His confidence is gone.. and he's playing awful. VERY Poor shot selection, forcing alot of things.. he's regressed to even worse than last year. he needs a good talk with someone.

They just had 5 days off during christmas time. I dont buy he needs an All-star break to find his game

Pacersalltheway10
01-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Depression can affect people both mentally and physically. I've seen it first hand with friends. They just cant get out of it overnight. Not sure what cause his depression-if he has it- but he has the symptoms. Depression doesnt last forever if you have help right away. He's got that. He will probably make most of you eat a 200 pound crow. At least I and some can say we wont have to touch that disgusting bird.

luis3ep
01-17-2011, 11:49 PM
They just had 5 days off during christmas time. I dont buy he needs an All-star break to find his game

a 5 day break with practices and meetings. These days off will be like vacation time. Plus, don't you think he'll be thinking "Damn, that could be me playing in that game had i had my ***** togther." ? Motivation.

odeez
01-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I am not ready to give up on Big Roy. It is very frustrating to watch how well he started off the season and to see where he is now. I do think it is mental for him. He seems to get down more than he should when he doesn't play well. Maybe if he worked with a big man coach like Dwight Howard does with Patrick Ewing, that would be helpful. I know he worked with Walton before the season. I remember in the video piece Walton said if Bird calls on him to help Roy more he would. Well I think now is the time.

I am not sure any of that would help, but I think it's too early to write Roy off.

Trader Joe
01-17-2011, 11:53 PM
I was sort of hinting at Roy being a paper tiger at the start of the season when I mentioned my concern about his poor free throw shooting.

He's scaring the living hell out of even me though with this recent crap.

vnzla81
01-17-2011, 11:55 PM
I wonder what people would say if instead of Roy we had a center like Bynum? The guy is been hurt forever and makes huge money.

joew8302
01-17-2011, 11:59 PM
I wonder what people would say if instead of Roy we had a center like Bynum? The guy is been hurt forever and makes huge money.

See Jermaine Oneal

Hicks
01-18-2011, 12:37 AM
I still support Roy Hibbert. I'm concerned for him. I've enjoyed having him here. I want nothing but to see him turn it around, and I will never say such things as 'You're making me sick,' to Roy. Never.

PacersPride
01-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Hibbert works hard for this franchise. He is 24 years young and everyone expects him to be a franchise center in 2.5 seasons. I dont really think discussing private matters are appropriate. Clark Kellogg is someone Hibbert can reach out.

Regarding Hibberts physique, it looks like he can easily add 20 lbs of bulk muscle. Post moves can be learned and with Hibberts work ethic i say have some faith. Defensively Hibbert can be a force. As the other thread illustrated, if NeNe were available he would fit well next to Hibbert.

Seeing these players under another coach is my preference before making a concrete evaluation.

HOOPFANATIC
01-18-2011, 03:22 AM

100% agree, I think that when you have young players the coach and staff have to help him make adjustments to his game. It seemed in November he was trying to develop a 16 footer,with the way we play he's got to have that.

Roaming Gnome
01-18-2011, 08:38 AM
One name... Rik Smits!

He struggled mightily in his early career on a struggling team. The fans grew more than impatient with Rik and his slow development that they wanted him gone. Hell, Donnie Walsh was considered a nut job for having patience with a 7' 4" non-rebounding center that most of the fans thought would never be the likes of Ewing, Robinson, Olijawon, or even Kevin Willis for that matter. Yet, we all know how that story ended once he got the right kind of help in the front court and the right coach that encouraged him to get his body right instead of packing on the weight like all the other coaches before.

I'm willing to give the big fella some leeway here to gain experience. I fully realize that he can regress a bit being a young center in this league. I'm just surprised that so many are at :lynchmob: THIS :lynchmob: point with Roy already!

With that said, I think it is a decent idea to curtail the offense away from Roy for the time being. I don't mean give him the Jmac bench treatment, but fewer minutes with the same responsibilities maybe with the second unit.

Tom White
01-18-2011, 09:06 AM
.....you need to get your panties out of a bunch

Talk about someone needing to get their panties out of a bunch.

McKeyFan
01-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Bottom Line - something is going on with Hibbert in his life..
Uh . . . yeah. He has a crappy coach.

McKeyFan
01-18-2011, 10:56 AM
One name... Rik Smits!

He struggled mightily in his early career on a struggling team. The fans grew more than impatient with Rik and his slow development that they wanted him gone. Hell, Donnie Walsh was considered a nut job for having patience with a 7' 4" non-rebounding center that most of the fans thought would never be the likes of Ewing, Robinson, Olijawon, or even Kevin Willis for that matter. Yet, we all know how that story ended once he got the right kind of help in the front court and the right coach that encouraged him to get his body right instead of packing on the weight like all the other coaches before.

I'm willing to give the big fella some leeway here to gain experience. I fully realize that he can regress a bit being a young center in this league. I'm just surprised that so many are at :lynchmob: THIS :lynchmob: point with Roy already!

With that said, I think it is a decent idea to curtail the offense away from Roy for the time being. I don't mean give him the Jmac bench treatment, but fewer minutes with the same responsibilities maybe with the second unit.
I'm thanking this post except for the last paragraph.

:D

McKeyFan
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Remember a month or two ago when a bunch of posters said JOB's harsh treatment of Roy was the perfect motivator and the reason for his hard work over the summer?

It was a dumb theory then, and now it is no longer a theory. It's been proven to be untrue.

RWB
01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Maybe not making him the focal point of the offense. Could it be he's putting too much pressure on himself to carry this team?

Yep, this and trying to be the face of the franchise as well. I think by creating Area 55 he was trying to get fans back and it didn't seem like anyone else (cough, DannyG) was stepping up. Roy is having a hard time handling it all at this point.

Roaming Gnome
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm thanking this post except for the last paragraph.

:D

In the last paragraph, I wouldn't mind the keys to the car be given to Collison as they have been while Roy hones his craft. Or, do you think that we should continue to force a majority of the offense through Roy while he struggles... In hopes that he makes the adjustments?

Normally, I'd say the latter, but we have a pretty solid point guard to hand the keys to while Roy makes strides. Then again, I guess it doesn't have to be an either/or situation.

Carry on!

Unclebuck
01-18-2011, 11:49 AM
One name... Rik Smits!

I often say that Roy and Rik are a lot alike. Their games are a lot alike. I think just like Rik it will take Roy longer than it takes most players. Also don't underestimate the value that having Dale Davis playing alongside Rik had on Rik's game. Dale took so much pressure off Rik. It allowed Rik to concentrate on what he did best which was score and Dale took care of defense and rebounding.

I think what will help Roy as much as anything is to find the right type of power forward. Just like Rik, Roy will never be nearly good enough to make him your best big man. We will need probably 2 that are as good as Roy

Eindar
01-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I think, ultimately, Roy's destiny in life is to be Rik Smits with better ability to block or change shots. The problem is that Roy isn't as technically sound offensively as Rik was near the end of his career. Rik took the ball into the low post only every once in a while, as he got pushed around and blocked by stronger players. Rik's bread and butter was backing guys down in the high post, making passes out of the double team, or hitting turn-around jumpers out of the high post if the double never came.

I don't think Roy is ever going to be successful at adding enough muscle mass to overpower other NBA Centers. I think Roy would be much better served spending his time working on the 15-18 foot jump shot, developing his technique, and eventually learning to pass out of a double team for an open bucket.

His problem this year is that he's mentally defeating himself now that teams have learned how to play him more effectively. The mental part is going to need more of the sports psychologist. The physical part is only going to resolve itself after a summer spent working on skill. Either way, it's far, far too early to give up on him now.

Pacergeek
01-18-2011, 01:25 PM
has any player gone from most improved consideration to least improved so quickly?

hoops_guy
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Talk about someone needing to get their panties out of a bunch.

Excuse me?

hoops_guy
01-18-2011, 04:03 PM

This. Not to trade him, not to forever hate him or anything. I'm just concerned and Hibbert needs a wake-up call.

Really?
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Lets please stop bashing are players so harshly... that is all

pacer4ever
01-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Lets please stop bashing are players so harshly... that is all

u all live in a fantasy world where u think are all player are elite players. Which is really far from the truth

johndozark
01-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Some of you have not a clue about depression. I'm not making a diagnosis on Hibbert, but if depression actually is involved, telling him to be a man, to pull it together, etc., is the worst possible approach. You are only deepening the problem. Real depression has to be solved at a level other than just will power. It is best resolved with a combination of medical/nutritional, therapeutic, and spiritual approaches, not a single prong approach.

Even if the problem is not depression, harsh negative attacks are likely to be counterproductive as motivators for Hibbert. Have you not noticed that, at his best, Hibbert is a positive, encouraging guy and responds best to positive, encouraging motivation?

No one questions that he is playing terribly right now on offense. He is still getting lots of rebounds, and he is blocking some shots. So he ought to be playing 20-24 minutes in most games. He should not be the focus of offense until things start coming back together, which may be only after another summer of hard work.

Foster is making good use of his time. Hansbrough should continue to start at PF and play significant minutes; we need McRoberts active every game to do double duty back-up at PF and C. I assume that we are always looking for a strong PF/C trade or signing, which we need even if Hibbert does get it back together. S. Jones does not seem to be continuing the flash of productivity we saw for a little while back in the fall.

Give Roy a non-pressure role and all the off-court support he needs, and trust that his wonderful personality and growing potential will return in time.