PDA

View Full Version : Why I want Jim O'Brien fired....

russkiy
01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I think this is my first post in a long time. I watch almost every Pacers game, and consider myself very loyal fan. The one thing that really frustrates me is that Larry brought in one of the best young point guards last season whose strength is pick and roll. Can someone please tell me why we are not running the offense which fits our players. Why our coach is trying to change the point guard to play his style of offense? I think this is pure arrogance. You will play my way or I will bench you. Yesterday I enjoyed watching Chicago pick and roll. Mike Wells asked in todays Star article why people cheered for Chicago. The reason is Chicago played kind of basketball people want to see. They drafted All Star point guard who excels in pick and roll and they brought Carlos Boozer to run it almost every position. We learned that we have enough big guys who can knock down 10-15 footer or go to the basket if needed. Please start playing style of basketball that fits your players. I think I am close to start protesting this team until this coach is fired and we try to get more excitement in Conseco field house!!!! Sorry, English is my second language, so I hope you ignore the grammer…

31andonly
01-16-2011, 04:43 PM
You joined 7 years ago and this is your third post?

russkiy
01-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Correct. I am not very comfortable to write

Shade
01-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Nothing brings lurkers out of hiding like a shared hatred for Jim O'Brien.

russkiy
01-16-2011, 06:07 PM
You are right. I like to read this board because people who post here provide new information on what is going on with Pacers and around the league. I think form now on I will start reply to more poasts even some people will still make fun of my grammer and spelling errors. I can tell you that firing the coach is looks like a view of majority Pacers fans and I don't see a reason why the managemnt is keeping him at this point. Look at Charlotte. They have a winning record after letting Larry Brown go. We need to start utilizing strngth of our players or fire the coach. What are oother options?

BlueNGold
01-16-2011, 06:11 PM
russkiy - Keep posting. Your posts make more sense than some of the old-timers around here.

BTW, nice mood setting you have there.

russkiy
01-16-2011, 06:23 PM
One more thing I don't understand in his coaching is why Jim need to start shooting guard based on the matchup. I Brandon Rush can defend and can score, why he is not our permanent starter in 2 guard? We know Mike Dunleavy is a good player, but his defense is not as good as Brandon's. Don't you think this will bring consistency to the starting five and confidence to Brandon? I think we need to have permanent starting five and the set rotation for 5-6 games and then see how this team does. I expect positive changes in 2-3 games. I hate uncertainty and this is what i see happening with the Pacers right now.

pacer4ever
01-16-2011, 06:30 PM
One more thing I don't understand in his coaching is why Jim need to start shooting guard based on the matchup. I Brandon Rush can defend and can score, why he is not our permanent starter in 2 guard? We know Mike Dunleavy is a good player, but his defense is not as good as Brandon's. Don't you think this will bring consistency to the starting five and confidence to Brandon? I think we need to have permanent starting five and the set rotation for 5-6 games and then see how this team does. I expect positive changes in 2-3 games. I hate uncertainty and this is what i see happening with the Pacers right now.

this

Trophy
01-16-2011, 06:30 PM

I agree.

Jim needs to use one solid lineup and rotation consistently.

That's how you win more games because the guys are comfortable with each other.

Jim uses whoever he wants whenever he wants.

I hated it that he brought in James Posey against the Bulls to shoot 3's to try and get this team back into the game. We weren't trailing by a lot though.

MiaDragon
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
You are right. I like to read this board because people who post here provide new information on what is going on with Pacers and around the league. I think form now on I will start reply to more poasts even some people will still make fun of my grammer and spelling errors. I can tell you that firing the coach is looks like a view of majority Pacers fans and I don't see a reason why the managemnt is keeping him at this point. Look at Charlotte. They have a winning record after letting Larry Brown go. We need to start utilizing strngth of our players or fire the coach. What are oother options?

Those people can pound sand, don't let "little" people detour you from participating in something you're passionate about. We don't have many fans to begin with, stick around.

pacer4ever
01-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Dude I have the worst grammer in the world don't worry about it. and english is my first language:)

xBulletproof
01-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Dude I have the worst grammer in the world don't worry about it. and english is my first language:)

And all the crap you got for it was probably what he's afraid of.

russkiy, I'd suggest that you put your location on your profile. Then people will know you're not from the USA. That will keep a lot of people from complaining. :)

Bball
01-16-2011, 06:43 PM
How come the people that apologize for their spelling and grammar and then mention English is their second language always have spelling and grammar on par or better than 90%+ of the board?

russkiy
01-16-2011, 06:46 PM
And all the crap you got for it was probably what he's afraid of.

russkiy, I'd suggest that you put your location on your profile. Then people will know you're not from the USA. That will keep a lot of people from complaining. :)

The tough part is I do live in Indianapolis, so the have every right to complain!

Trophy
01-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Sometimes I question if Jim speaks English or if the players understand what he tells them to do.

(Just to avoid derailing this thread)

xBulletproof
01-16-2011, 06:51 PM
The tough part is I do live in Indianapolis, so the have every right to complain!

Haha, I don't care if I move to Japan. My Japanese will continue to be horrible. Where you live doesn't make language skills better! Regardless your grammar isn't that bad.

russkiy
01-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Which assistant coach can replace O'Brien untill the rest of this year?

Bball
01-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Which assistant coach can replace O'Brien untill the rest of this year?

We could replace Capt Contradiction with Boomer for all I care. Just fire the clown ASAP.

McKeyFan
01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Welcome.

So how did a Russky become a Pacer fan?

speakout4
01-16-2011, 07:20 PM
We could replace Capt Contradiction with Boomer for all I care. Just fire the clown ASAP.
I once read that Mel Simon is an avid reader. I wonder if he ever looks at this board and understands the sentiment people have toward Jim.

Trophy
01-16-2011, 07:23 PM
I once read that Mel Simon is an avid reader. I wonder if he ever looks at this board and understands the sentiment people have toward Jim.

Mel passed away. (Rest in peace)

I think you mean Herb.

sunsun
01-16-2011, 07:24 PM

absolutely agree
I suggest someone can post guessing threads before every game about guessing who is start on SG....like guessing score threads...:cool:

russkiy
01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
I support the team since moving to Indiana 1999. I was very upset when Pacers hired Thomas and thought Jim will be exactly what we need. I was wrong. He is one of the worst coaches we had since the Championship run

speakout4
01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Mel passed away. (Rest in peace)

I think you mean Herb.
Yes, I meant Herb. Thanks.

hoops_guy
01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
My displeasure has gone from something that isn't a huge deal to something personal. All of the money I spend on this franchise and he simply will not ever get us to .500.

Every time we see a glimpse of light, he does something stupid like putting Posey on Stoudemire.

BlueNGold
01-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Here is why Jim needs fired:

1) His offense doesn't work with our personnel and he's too stubborn to tailor it.
2) He is unfairly critical of his players.
3) He has a history of contradicting himself.
4) He played Troy Murphy way too much last year.
5) He changed his strategy in November to something a child would know was a mistake.
6) He has James Posey guard the likes of Amare and Josh Smith.
7) He has white sideburns.

Trophy
01-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Here is why Jim needs fired:

1) His offense doesn't work with our personnel and he's too stubborn to tailor it.
2) He is unfairly critical of his players.
3) He has a history of contradicting himself.
4) He played Troy Murphy way too much last year.
5) He changed his strategy in November to something a child would know was a mistake.
6) He has James Posey guard the likes of Amare and Josh Smith.
7) He has white sideburns.

When he was first hired, I was thinking how badly he needed Just For Men.

He's not as slick as Paulie Walnuts so I don't know what he's trying to pull with that look.

kester99
01-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Your beard and head hair don't necessarily change color at the same time...or even to the same color.

Wait and see.

BlueNGold
01-16-2011, 08:11 PM
I see Jim around town and at certain types of benefit events. He would look 10 or 15 years younger if he shaved off those snow white burns.

In any event, he's a good guy. He's just not exactly John Wooden at his craft.

Edit: maybe he would need to color it. It's not just the burns. The white stuff is coming out his nose and climbing the side of his head.

Edit2: actually it's the contrast that gets the attention. It goes from pitch black to snowy white.

Bball
01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Edit2: actually it's the contrast that gets the attention. It goes from pitch black to snowy white.

So even his hair color is a contradiction!!!

BlueNGold
01-16-2011, 08:33 PM
So even his hair color is a contradiction!!!

Finally! It's starting to all make sense. Someone hold that man down and apply the grecian formula.

I knew there was something special about McKeyFan's signature.

flox
01-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I think this is my first post in a long time. I watch almost every Pacers game, and consider myself very loyal fan. The one thing that really frustrates me is that Larry brought in one of the best young point guards last season whose strength is pick and roll. Can someone please tell me why we are not running the offense which fits our players. Why our coach is trying to change the point guard to play his style of offense? I think this is pure arrogance. You will play my way or I will bench you. Yesterday I enjoyed watching Chicago pick and roll. Mike Wells asked in todays Star article why people cheered for Chicago. The reason is Chicago played kind of basketball people want to see. They drafted All Star point guard who excels in pick and roll and they brought Carlos Boozer to run it almost every position. We learned that we have enough big guys who can knock down 10-15 footer or go to the basket if needed. Please start playing style of basketball that fits your players. I think I am close to start protesting this team until this coach is fired and we try to get more excitement in Conseco field house!!!! Sorry, English is my second language, so I hope you ignore the grammer…

See UncleBuck's post about the number of PnR we run against the Spurs. The number is higher than you think. Quite frankly we don't have enough talent on this roster to run a pick and roll. We don't have Carlos Boozer. We can't trade for a Carlos Boozer type without breaking our plan.

Our best pick and roll player is either Foster or Hans. And that is not an NBA quality pick and roll. It's going to be shut down if it shows signs of being that kind of quality- and when you take into account how easily Hibbert gets shut down and the record the Hornets had last year even with "Collison's overinflated stats hype" numbers, then its not puzzling to see why this isn't a concern.

Post Larry Brown era (6-4) Strength of Schedule so far: (9th weakest, .471)
Overall Strength of Schedule: .481 (5th weakest)

I don't take a lot into this whole "Larry Brown getting fired" thing.

Pacersalltheway10
01-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't think it is fair to say Collison's numbers last year were "inflated hype". If Jim O'Brien would have given Collison "the keys" a long time ago he would still average the same numbers as last year. We are a much better team when Collison is in control and not JOB.

BringJackBack
01-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Well, the reason that the assists are down is because we don't have any good pick and roll players. Tyler is just adequate, and Darren makes him look good on the pick and pop.

If we had a Carlos Boozer, David West type that excel on the pick and roll he'd look a lot more dangerous. Jim O'Brien can't make Collison look more effective by using pick and roll if Darren doesn't have anyone to run it with. Sure Jim can do other things like let Collison be more ball dominant, but the assists aren't going to be where they can be until Hibbert and Granger start hitting open shots and until we get a good pick and roll forward.

flox
01-16-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't think it is fair to say Collison's numbers last year were "inflated hype". If Jim O'Brien would have given Collison "the keys" a long time ago he would still average the same numbers as last year. We are a much better team when Collison is in control and not JOB.

That may be true. But Collison had a usage percentage last year of 23.1. This year it's only down less than one percent at 22.4. His per 36 and PER are pretty close to last year. His percentages are down but his averages from last year are up. The past couple of games he's had more freedom but his usage remains the same.

For the record:
Usage Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * ((FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV) * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm FGA + 0.44 * Tm FTA + Tm TOV)). Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor.

Taken from Basketball-Reference.com

If there's anything to take from this- its that what we saw in NOH is what we are getting in IND- but people were looking more at the high end (his great numbers in spurts) rather than the overall average.

Hence my comment about "inflated hype".

russkiy
01-17-2011, 09:13 AM
That may be true. But Collison had a usage percentage last year of 23.1. This year it's only down less than one percent at 22.4. His per 36 and PER are pretty close to last year. His percentages are down but his averages from last year are up. The past couple of games he's had more freedom but his usage remains the same.

For the record:
Usage Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * ((FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV) * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm FGA + 0.44 * Tm FTA + Tm TOV)). Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor.

Taken from Basketball-Reference.com

If there's anything to take from this- its that what we saw in NOH is what we are getting in IND- but people were looking more at the high end (his great numbers in spurts) rather than the overall average.

Hence my comment about "inflated hype".

I want to see him run pick and roll with Roy or Tylor. I think they are not Boozer or West quality, but West was on the banch first years in the league and became all star after the trade. We should give them a chance to try, since we have a point guard who is excell at it. We are not playing for the ring and both of the bigs are ready to try. I want to see them run it for 5-6 games to see how it goes.

Justin Tyme
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I agree.

Jim needs to use one solid lineup and rotation consistently.

That's how you win more games because the guys are comfortable with each other.

Jim uses whoever he wants whenever he wants.

I hated it that he brought in James Posey against the Bulls to shoot 3's to try and get this team back into the game. We weren't trailing by a lot though.

Jimmy likes to play the flavor of the day player. Heck, don't be surprised if he doesn't start Stephenson at SG against the Clippers. Whatever todays fancy is with Jimmy is what Jimmy will do with no rhymn or reason.

johndozark
01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
I think I remember that when Collison came to Indy, he commented that he thought he could get Rush more productively involved in the offense. Does anyone else remember that? If my memory is accurate, does anyone have any ideas about what has happened to limit that goal? Is it O'Brien's motion offense?