PDA

View Full Version : Lance Stephenson says he's ready for his shot

SMosley21
01-16-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110116/SPORTS04/101160367/1062/SPORTS04

Written by
Mike Wells

Indiana Pacers guard Lance Stephenson has sat patiently and watched as fellow rookie Paul George and second-year forward Tyler Hansbrough moved into the rotation the past few weeks.

Stephenson, who was given the nickname "Born Ready" while playing on the blacktops of New York, is ready for his chance to join his two teammates on the court.

The Pacers' second-round draft pick wants to show people he's not the same player who struggled defensively during the preseason. He also wants to show that his offensive game is better suited for the NBA.

When that time will come is anybody's guess.

Stephenson took a baby step recently when coach Jim O'Brien put him on the active roster.

The next step is for Stephenson to play in a game for the first time this season.

"I'm very anxious," said Stephenson, a person of few words. "I've been anxious. I have to prove to everybody that I learned a lot."

Friday's 13-point loss to Chicago would have been a perfect opportunity for Stephenson to play because the Bulls never felt threatened in the fourth quarter.

Stephenson didn't get off the bench.

"I would (feel comfortable playing Stephenson)," O'Brien said. "I think it would be a heck of a battle if Darren (Collison) or T.J. (Ford) went down for a period of time. I certainly hope they do not."

On paper, Stephenson is the fourth point guard behind Collison, Ford and A.J. Price.

Talent-wise, however, Stephenson is right up there with the other three. It's a matter of him maturing and getting a feel for the NBA game.

"I don't think it'll be a transition because my teammates have helped me throughout the season and I think when I get on the court, it'll be easy," Stephenson said. "I think I'm ready."

The knock on Stephenson has been his defense. Team officials say he has improved in that area. Stephenson said he has learned how to do "tricks" to cover up his defensive deficiencies.

"I don't think, in any stretch of the imagination, he would embarrass himself," O'Brien said. "I think the more minutes he played, the more everybody would understand why we're so high about his future.

"He would go out and make some mistakes, but at the same time, he would put a lot of pressure on the other team because he's so good off pick-and-rolls. He's so strong. I think he would do some good things."

Stephenson, who signed a two-year guaranteed contract over the summer, could have already gotten plenty of playing time had the Pacers decided to send him to their D-League affiliate in Fort Wayne earlier this season.

They held off on making Stephenson the first player to be shipped up I-69 because they want the former New York high school star to play in their system.

"I would rather sit and wait my turn," Stephenson said. "If I go to the D-League, I'm not learning any plays that the team runs. I want to stay with the team and get better at their system. My time will come at some point. And when it does, people will be surprised at how much I've learned from the preseason and how much better I've gotten."

Personally, I can't wait for Lance to get on the court and show what he can do. I don't get why O'Brien says he would do all of these positive things yet won't give him any minutes.

pacer4ever
01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I cant wait to see what he can do

the born ready bulldozer cant wait

Sobotka
01-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Personally, I can't wait for Lance to get on the court and show what he can do. I don't get why O'Brien says he would do all of these positive things yet won't give him any minutes.

Because he's at best the fourth point guard and the fifth or sixth wing. These players don't see any time for any team that isn't riddled with injuries.

Sparhawk
01-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I should have known someone would beat me to it.

pacer4ever
01-16-2011, 11:57 AM
"I would rather sit and wait my turn," Stephenson said. "If I go to the D-League, I'm not learning any plays that the team runs. I want to stay with the team and get better at their system. My time will come at some point. And when it does, people will be surprised at how much I've learned from the preseason and how much better I've gotten"

Love that

BringJackBack
01-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Can we just see him play for, I don't know, five minutes or something?

Sparhawk
01-16-2011, 12:00 PM
"I would rather sit and wait my turn," Stephenson said. "If I go to the D-League, I'm not learning any plays that the team runs. I want to stay with the team and get better at their system. My time will come at some point. And when it does, people will be surprised at how much I've learned from the preseason and how much better I've gotten"

Love that

Seems that the players are having a good impact on the kid. You could also lose that if he goes to the D-League with no support system.

pacers74
01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
I am more than ready to see what he can bring. I am not sure if they will let him play before his court date on Feb. 25th. Though, letting him dress was a big step forward. They still need to let him get in a game.

Sure he is going to be raw, but we all know he won't be shy about taking the ball to the hoop. It would be nice to see if his game can translate to the NBA. My guess is he is going to have a adjust, but if he played limited minutes for the rest of this year, he would be able to get ready in the off season and have a real impact on this team next year.

I still believe we could use a good big combo guard and that is what Lance is suppose to be.

Sparhawk
01-16-2011, 12:03 PM
With our shooting woes, it would be great to throw teams a curveball and put in Lance.

It would be nice to make other teams adjust instead of JOB always adjusting to other teams (or not adjusting because he's stubborn)

cdash
01-16-2011, 12:08 PM
It still makes me cringe that they consider him a point guard.

Sookie
01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
At some point, we'll have to see what he can do..

I only hope that when he gets his opportunity, he's played at both positions. He's not a point guard. If we play him there, he'll probably fail miserably.

He looked decent when he played with a PG in preseason. And pretty bad when he was the pg.

Shade
01-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Because he's at best the fourth point guard and the fifth or sixth wing. These players don't see any time for any team that isn't riddled with injuries.

How do you know this? The guy hasn't seen a single second on the court yet.

imawhat
01-16-2011, 12:27 PM
We're not winning, let's see him. Our offense is getting us bad shots and he's probably the best shot creator on the team.

I won't get into the pg debate, but I'm sure everyone can agree that he's best with the ball in his hands and he has great court vision.

Sookie
01-16-2011, 12:38 PM

That's why we need to find out, but it's hard to play him because on paper..he is the fourth pg (sigh) or at best the fifth wing. (Behind Granger, Dun, BRush, and George)

righteouscool
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
It really annoys me that they still consider him a point. Dude can play point in this system and has great court vision, but his defense is going to suffer because of it. Just play him at shooting guard and run some pick and rolls with him.

Stephenson is great at getting to the rim. I wish he'd play just for that purpose.

luis3ep
01-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Ever since i saw him in the Summer League and his offense was so effortless.. i knew he was gonna be special IF he kept his mind right.. it appears he wants to be a real pro, instead of some full of himself waste of talent bum. I'm rooting for Lance, and want him to play already!!

Strummer
01-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I can't wait to see him play. He was so much fun to watch in preseason.

xIndyFan
01-16-2011, 01:00 PM
the interesting quote from the wells article was this one, imo.

"I would (feel comfortable playing Stephenson)," O'Brien said. "I think it would be a heck of a battle if Darren (Collison) or T.J. (Ford) went down for a period of time. I certainly hope they do not."

this implies to me that lance is about even with AJ in the PG rotation. that says good things about next year. if lance can play the point, and this implies he can, pacers are in a good place. a big PG that can bull his way to the rim make a big difference in what the pacers can do offensively. all the little PG in the league now are suddenly defensive liabilities. instead of teams beating up on pacer little guys, the pacers are the bullies.

keep working lance, fix the things [ie defense] that are your problem areas. pacers need your size at the point.

Sobotka
01-16-2011, 01:04 PM

I suppose there's a slim possibility that he's than better one of Collison, Ford, or Price, or Granger, Rush, Dunleavy, or George, but I find it pretty unlikely.

Six of the seven guys above are currently in the rotation, and I don't see any reason for any of them to fall out of it, and the most possible (Ford) would be replaced by the seventh (Price).

I saw him play in the summer league, in training camp, and in the preseason. I don't see any real value at all in him taking minutes from any of the seven guys listed above.

BornReady#6
01-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Interesting
Point (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70I4xRbsT4Q)

Sookie
01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I suppose there's a slim possibility that he's than better one of Collison, Ford, or Price, or Granger, Rush, Dunleavy, or George, but I find it pretty unlikely.

Six of the seven guys above are currently in the rotation, and I don't see any reason for any of them to fall out of it, and the most possible (Ford) would be replaced by the seventh (Price).

I saw him play in the summer league, in training camp, and in the preseason. I don't see any real value at all in him taking minutes from any of the seven guys listed above.

I agree (other then Ford should fall out in favor of Price..in fact, he never should have been in the rotation ahead of Price)..however, the second the Pacers are out of the playoff race, we should figure out a way to get all of our young guys into the rotation..including Stephenson.

because quite frankly, the Pacers need to figure out what they have.

Also, if JOB is so confident in Lance..then why couldn't he find any minutes for Lance..at the end of a blow out..:rolleyes:

Justin Tyme
01-16-2011, 01:16 PM
I am more than ready to see what he can bring. I am not sure if they will let him play before his court date on Feb. 25th. Though, letting him dress was a big step forward. They still need to let him get in a game.

Sure he is going to be raw, but we all know he won't be shy about taking the ball to the hoop. It would be nice to see if his game can translate to the NBA. My guess is he is going to have a adjust, but if he played limited minutes for the rest of this year, he would be able to get ready in the off season and have a real impact on this team next year.

I still believe we could use a good big combo guard and that is what Lance is suppose to be.

His court date, I believe, is 1 day after the trade deadline ends.

I have no yearn to see Stephenson play. I'd much rather see more AJ Price playing.

Justin Tyme
01-16-2011, 01:28 PM
It still makes me cringe that they consider him a point guard.

Yep, nothing like trying to force square peg into a round hole. Wanting something and that something being able is 2 different things. I'd love to have a PG Stephenson's size, but I want a "true PG" not a SG forced into trying to play PG. I can't see how you could even consider Stephenson a combo guard with his lack of PG skills. He's a scoring SG who can't play "D". Those types are a dime a dozen.

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Does he even deserve and credit at all for not making a single wave since the
alleged incident"

Sookie?

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 01:42 PM
ans Sookie I'm not calling you out, its just at least to me you have been one of the strongest adversaries against Lance and I'm wondering if there is ever anything he can do to change your mind about him

If not that is your right and I have no problem with it

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Because it so easy for some to hate him. Its like the scene in Scarface

"you want to point the finger and say there goes the bad guy, so you dont have to look at yourself"

this is a general comment , not specific to one person

Hicks
01-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Some people don't like the idea of Lance at the point because Lance doesn't play the way they feel a point guard should play.

I am not one of those people.

With that said, I'm not trying to be stubborn, either. If he plays for a while and shows me he can't handle it, I have nothing stopping me from saying he can't play the point.

But right now, I think the only thing stopping him is whether or not he gets embarrassed defensively. He gets to the rim, he's very strong, he finishes, he has a mid range jumper, he can play the pick and roll, and he's not just a willing passer, but a skilled passer.

I'm not claiming anything else than that; if you want to say he doesn't do X, Y, or Z, that's fine. It just doesn't bother me much.

vnzla81
01-16-2011, 01:57 PM
At this point I rather have Lance as the second point guard than TJ.

Sookie
01-16-2011, 02:05 PM
alleged incident"

Sookie?

It depends on whether he committed the alleged incident or not.

I'll be honest, I don't think he's worth the risk. I really don't. Within two months of being drafted he gets arrested, and he's not better than any of our wings right now, except Dahntay possibly, and he's not a point guard.

If he gets his name cleared and stays out of trouble then sure..keep him and see if he gets better. But the guy I saw in preseason and in college is not someone that is going to work out all that well at the NBA level.

He's flashy and a good one on one player and he had a summer league that got people excited. The fact that the talent is there means that keeping him for a few years and seeing how he developes and seeing if his talent will translate isn't a bad idea...so long as he doesn't get into trouble.

That all being said, this is what I think. I'm completey opened to seeing how he does on the court. As I said, if we're out of the playoffs..we should be finding a way to play all of our young guys to develope them.

But I really don't know why we're trying to make him into a point guard. He's not. If Manu can't work as a PG, Lance certainly can't. He can't defend at that position. And his offense is a scoring SG. He looked like a completely different player in preseason at the SG position then at the PG position. And I feel like I'm actually on Lance's side on this one. This isn't an attack. We're asking him to succeed at the highest level in a position that he has consistently failed at. Of course he's not going to do that well. I like to put players in a position to succeed.

xBulletproof
01-16-2011, 02:09 PM
alleged incident"

Sookie?

The expectation for every person in society is to not break the law, or create waves. It's hard to give credit to someone for doing what they're expected to do.

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
The expectation for every person in society is to not break the law, or create waves. It's hard to give credit to someone for doing what they're expected to do.

to some degree you are absolutely correct

However if one is making strides toward doing the right thing , why not give them a slight pat on the back?

Psyren
01-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Heck, we're having very little success winning games the way we are right now.

I say at least throw him in there for 5 minutes at the end of a game we have no chance in. Let's see what he can do. It won't hurt anything.

Hicks
01-16-2011, 02:27 PM
'Hey, Sport, good job not getting arrested today. Let's go for two days in a row, buddy!' .... ?

speakout4
01-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Let's see he's not a real point, can't defend, etc. but has not spent a second on the court. Before completely deciding what he is or isn't perhaps someone who has seen him play recently should venture an opinion.

If he is on the roster, imminent court date or not, he should get time. Anything else is just mean-spirited. I would like to see for myself what he can offer this team. In almost half the season , 37 games, 1776 minutes, someone might want to see what he could do on the court.

Just more stubbornness by JOB.

Psyren
01-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Again, I agree entirely with what you say, but there's always another side.

Yes, everyone is expected to do that. But, when they don't, you're ENTIRELY against ever giving them one ounce of credit? Sure, it's not hard to not get arrested and it's expected, but he is making strides after all. I'm not saying we give him a free pass and forget the whole incident ever happened, but I'm not against at least giving him some ounce of praise for at least trying to be better.

Sookie
01-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Heck, we're having very little success winning games the way we are right now.

I say at least throw him in there for 5 minutes at the end of a game we have no chance in. Let's see what he can do. It won't hurt anything.

I agree completely with that. Why the heck is he active if he won't even get to play in the last 5 minutes of a blowout. That was just silly. What's the worst that would happen..we'd lose by 30...because that's so much worse than losing by 20..

Strummer
01-16-2011, 02:50 PM
'Hey, Sport, good job not getting arrested today. Let's go for two days in a row, buddy!' .... ?

More like:

"Good job keeping your head up and not letting the situation get to you. You've handled the controversy well, or at least you haven't made it any worse."

Unfortunately hate is as American as apple pie. Always has been. Will it always be?

beezer615
01-16-2011, 02:50 PM
I'd take a Collison/Stephenson backcourt over Ford/Collison or Price/Collison backcourt any day. At least you have size, as well as 2 guys who can create their own shot. Price has resorted recently to alot of jumpers.

Mr_Smith
01-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm kinda anxious to see the young man play. I never got to see him play during the summer league. At least give him some garbage time near the end of a game.

pacer4ever
01-16-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm kinda anxious to see the young man play. I never got to see him play during the summer league. At least give him some garbage time near the end of a game.

U missed out he was great. i still have the SL games saved on my pc.

spazzxb
01-16-2011, 03:23 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110116/SPORTS04/101160367/1062/SPORTS04

Written by
Mike Wells

He is the 4th string PG on a healthy team. Aj Price isn't even getting minutes.

spazzxb
01-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Let's see he's not a real point, can't defend, etc. but has not spent a second on the court. Before completely deciding what he is or isn't perhaps someone who has seen him play recently should venture an opinion.

If he is on the roster, imminent court date or not, he should get time. Anything else is just mean-spirited. I would like to see for myself what he can offer this team. In almost half the season , 37 games, 1776 minutes, someone might want to see what he could do on the court.

Just more stubbornness by JOB.

Name one team that runs a 15 man rotation? Just one.

SMosley21
01-16-2011, 03:30 PM
He is the 4th string PG on a healthy team. Aj Price isn't even getting minutes.

That's true, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Psyren
01-16-2011, 03:36 PM

I'm not sure if you've seen this or not, but I'll post it for you.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1FKOYCV93Fc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1FKOYCV93Fc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I want to say this was posted by somebody here on PD, but I can't for the life or me remember who. If someone knows who deserves the credit for the video, please let me know so I can credit them.

Hicks
01-16-2011, 03:40 PM
More like:

"Good job keeping your head up and not letting the situation get to you. You've handled the controversy well, or at least you haven't made it any worse."

Unfortunately hate is as American as apple pie. Always has been. Will it always be?

You're equating hate with the expectation of an NBA player NOT getting in trouble with the law. Ridiculous.

ilive4sports
01-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Yes, Lance is buried behind better players. But there is no reason he couldn't have played in some of our blow outs. Just like AJ Price not getting playing time. Let him play, let's see what he can do. If the game isn't close what do we have to lose by playing him?

DrFife
01-16-2011, 04:21 PM
But I really don't know why we're trying to make him into a point guard. He's not. If Manu can't work as a PG, Lance certainly can't. He can't defend at that position. And his offense is a scoring SG. He looked like a completely different player in preseason at the SG position then at the PG position.

This makes me envision a back-court mate for Lance who (1) is good/great at guarding point guards, (2) can hit the three, and (3) is not a star PG. Someone bigger than Collison or Price. Could PGeorge become that guy? Can anyone suggest such a player who's currently in the league or in the NCAA?

SMosley21
01-16-2011, 04:25 PM
This makes me envision a back-court mate for Lance who (1) is good/great at guarding point guards, (2) can hit the three, and (3) is not a star PG. Someone bigger than Collison or Price. Could PGeorge become that guy? Can anyone suggest such a player who's currently in the league or in the NCAA?

I think Lance and Paul in the back court together looks really good, at least in theory.

Trophy
01-16-2011, 06:05 PM
I remember he started at SG in the last preseason game against Chicago.

He struggled with his shooting in that game and in preseason, but it's good to hear that he's learning a lot from the rotation guys.

russkiy
01-16-2011, 06:15 PM
I am not sure why he should get a shot before AJ? AJ proven that he can hit the open shot, drive and defend. I think TJ needs to sit and his time should be given to AJ. The only reason I see TJ is playing right now is to get him traded before the trade deadline.

speakout4
01-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Name one team that runs a 15 man rotation? Just one.
Who is talking about a 15-man rotation? Every pacer has had minutes other than Lance so that is what we're talking about--just an appearance now and then.

The season is almost half over and JOB can't find any time at all to make him feel he is a member of this team.
A blind squirrel has a better chance of finding an acorn than Lance has of getting into the game with JOB.

Bball
01-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Once again the question arises... Why even dress him if you aren't going to play him?

And I think I will just start calling O'Brien "Capt Contradiction" all of the time because he's a walking, talking contradiction. I've never seen anything like it.

Sookie
01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
I am not sure why he should get a shot before AJ? AJ proven that he can hit the open shot, drive and defend. I think TJ needs to sit and his time should be given to AJ. The only reason I see TJ is playing right now is to get him traded before the trade deadline.

at point guard, I agree..but he's not a point guard.

I think though, at the end of a blow out, seeing as Lance was active an all..we could have at least given him a chance to get his feet wet..if he's not ready for the last five minutes of a blowout, then there's a problem.

russkiy
01-16-2011, 07:11 PM
I think in blowout all young guys should have opportunity to play. It is no reason to play Posey, TJ or Foster at that time for sure. They are not going to be here next year anyway.

speakout4
01-16-2011, 07:14 PM
If a guy is good enough to make the roster he is good enough to get some minutes during the season. Again JOb doesn't know how to manage people.

pacer4ever
01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
I think in blowout all young guys should have opportunity to play. It is no reason to play Posey, TJ or Foster at that time for sure. They are not going to be here next year anyway.

Posey will be unfortuely he has another yr on his deal for 6million dollars

russkiy
01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
One of the teams that need 3 point shooter in playoff can trade for him before the trading deadline. I am not sure what we going to get for him in return, but I think he got some value to playoff teams.

pacer4ever
01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
One of the teams that need 3 point shooter in playoff can trade for him before the trading deadline. I am not sure what we going to get for him in return, but I think he got some value to playoff teams.

I dont think any team will want his contract. What a waste of money

ChristianDudley
01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
I REALLY want to see Lance play very soon because just based off what he was doing on offense in summer league, he was just toying with every defender out there. It was very incredible watching him out there pick apart the defense and do whatever the heck he wanted to do out there on the court. Maybe his handles aren't as fast as Darren's or someones, but this kid can get to the rack at any given moment, plus he's almost always perfect from mid-range. His 3-point shooting isn't as good as it could be, but who needs that skill when you can get the and-1 whenever you feel like it. I'm glad we drafted Stephenson as this kid has very special talent that we've never seen on the Pacers' roster before. Jim just needs to get him any minutes possible ASAP (but that's the same with all of our other younger players).

Kid Minneapolis
01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
I really don't know what everyone sees in Price.

Trophy
01-16-2011, 07:30 PM

He sure beats the hell out of TJ.

AJ is a very good shooter I think what makes him a good PG, he's able to pass the ball well.

Kid Minneapolis
01-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Ya.... It's not that I think Price is "bad". He's just unremarkable, to me. Tbo, we don't even really see him that much. I like Collison as the clear front-runner PG on this team... then after that... Ford, Price, Stephenson... I mean, all of those guys have major areas to improve. To me we've seen what we're gonna get outta Ford and Price, which isn't all that remarkable. Stephenson has some very interesting "upside"... but he lost some respect with me with the off-the-court incident.

russkiy
01-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I dont think any team will want his contract. What a waste of money

Hey, Orlando just traded for agen 0 and his 120 mil contract. Turgolu got traded. Many trades do not make sence, but happen. I hope someones junk becoming someones gold. His contract is 7 mil and this is same as some other overpaid players who Pacers can bring with long term contract. Maybe we will find some team who start rebuilding process....

kester99
01-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Can we just see him play for, I don't know, five minutes or something?

We just need to whip somebody's butt so bad that we get garbage minutes opening up in the 4th.

speakout4
01-16-2011, 07:51 PM
at point guard, I agree..but he's not a point guard.

Unless you have seen him recently I don't see how you can be so certain he isn't a PG. There are times when this team really could use a guy with some height. Until we see him after he has had real nba coaching we can't know what his position might be.

Next season he may be needed as a PG after TJ is gone.

Psyren
01-16-2011, 07:53 PM
I REALLY want to see Lance play very soon because just based off what he was doing on offense in summer league, he was just toying with every defender out there. It was very incredible watching him out there pick apart the defense and do whatever the heck he wanted to do out there on the court. Maybe his handles aren't as fast as Darren's or someones, but this kid can get to the rack at any given moment, plus he's almost always perfect from mid-range. His 3-point shooting isn't as good as it could be, but who needs that skill when you can get the and-1 whenever you feel like it. I'm glad we drafted Stephenson as this kid has very special talent that we've never seen on the Pacers' roster before. Jim just needs to get him any minutes possible ASAP (but that's the same with all of our other younger players).

Agreed.

He literally had his way with whoever he wanted to. Now I understand not all of those players are NBA material, but the kid just knows what he's doing. He has ridiculous handles and can create his own shot. Also, his court vision was excellent in those games and he found his teammates for very easy shots, which could open up things for the whole team, but especially Danny, Roy, and Rush.

Let Lance drive down the lane and get easy kicks to Rush and Granger on the wings. Or even better, draw Roy's man over for help and then let him make a creative easy pass to Hibbert for easy buckets.

I don't expect him to get 25 minutes. But some spot minutes would be nice here and there, especially if the offense stagnates.

BlueNGold
01-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Ready for his shot in court...or on the court? I see no point whatsoever of playing him until his case has been decided.

xBulletproof
01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Unless you have seen him recently I don't see how you can be so certain he isn't a PG. There are times when this team really could use a guy with some height. Until we see him after he has had real nba coaching we can't know what his position might be.

Lance isn't a PG. I don't even know how it's debatable. To me it's like saying Yao Ming isn't going to be a PG when he's healthy. I haven't seen him play recently either. They're both entirely too flawed at PG to hope that a couple months would change that.

For Yao it's physical restrictions. For Lance it's mental, and some physical issues. They're not point guards. I haven't been shy that I don't hold much hope for Lance period, but at PG he's most certainly doomed to amount to nothing. At least as a SG he's got a chance, if he can get a jump shot. I've seen more guys gain jump shooting ability than to sprout a PG mentality.

PacerGuy
01-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Ready for his shot in court...or on the court? I see no point whatsoever of playing him until his case has been decided.

If you do see him on the court, it's because TPTB have it on good word it will be dropped/ scaled way down. Morway kinda already hinted that they felt this way, seeing Lance on the court would speek very loudly towards that point.

Psyren
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM

That's just seems like you're making the assumption he's guilty, or at least it seems so.

You don't want to play him why? He's guilty? That's all I can imagine.

Let's say he isn't guilty. Suddenly, you're going to be calling for him to play? On what basis? That's like saying "he's not a criminal! Now he's going to be so much better at basketball".

What harm does it do? We suck anyways. He can't make it any worse.

I guess the point is, what difference does it make if he plays now or after the trial? None.

imbtyler
01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
That's just seems like you're making the assumption he's guilty, or at least it seems so.

Let's say he isn't guilty. Suddenly, you're going to be calling for him to play? On what basis? That's like saying "he's not a criminal! Now he's going to be so much better at basketball".

I guess the point is, what difference does it make if he plays now or after the trial? None.

Criminal or not, I'd rather Lance earn his rookie contract if he's still getting paid either way. Give Posey's old *** the night off.

BlueNGold
01-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Wrong. If we knew he would be exonerated, he should be playing right now. But we don't. It would be a PR nightmare to play the dude, then have to read the newspaper about him being convicted of a felony. Even worse will be the necessary decision that follows...play the felon or cut him. If he played really well, there would be a lot of people supporting him.

...and we'd be looking at Ron Artest II.

Just have some patience and let the criminal justice system do its work. If he's convicted, he's probably a bad apple and will likely embarrasses the franchise again. In that case, you cut him. If he's exonerated, we all celebrate and see what he can do. Dude is 20 and has all the time in the world. He and everyone here just need patience.

Doddage
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
I'd take a Collison/Stephenson backcourt over Ford/Collison or Price/Collison backcourt any day. At least you have size, as well as 2 guys who can create their own shot. Price has resorted recently to alot of jumpers.
A.J. has played recently?

LA_Confidential
01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
OK, Here's how I see it. With the legal stuff, I don,t think he's gonna get anything worse that probation/community service. Alright, enough of that.

Basketball wise, a player with Lance's skill set is something we lack in the rotation. I think he EVENTUALLY, will fit right in. Not now though.

The question is, will he be a PG. The knock is his that he'd get exposed by point guards. I say, the pendulum swings both ways.

Also how easy would it be to find a backup PG in the Derek Fisher/Eddie House/Damon Jones mold to guard opposing PG's. Is AJ a good enough shooter to play without the ball? If so, then I dont understand what the fuss is about.

This team is set up perfectly to play a Three Guard Rotation because Lance would fit well with Darren or AJ. If not then we need to find a more suitable replacement for AJ.

speakout4
01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Wrong. If we knew he would be exonerated, he should be playing right now. But we don't. It would be a PR nightmare to play the dude, then have to read the newspaper about him being convicted of a felony. Even worse will be the necessary decision that follows...play the felon or cut him. If he played really well, there would be a lot of people supporting him.

...and we'd be looking at Ron Artest II.

Just have some patience and let the criminal justice system do its work. If he's convicted, he's probably a bad apple and will likely embarrasses the franchise again. In that case, you cut him. If he's exonerated, we all celebrate and see what he can do. Dude is 20 and has all the time in the world. He and everyone here just need patience.
i agree with much of what you say and particularly that he is only 20. If convicted we shouldn't treat him as if his life is over. Hopefully he can restart his life at some point after this situation is finalized.

Let him go on with his life, presumed innocent, until he has his day in court.

flox
01-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Something about "potential", "youth", and something.

Same thing you hear all around the league about every other team's rookies when the backups are doing well but not as well as a starter- which makes fans question why the player with more "upside" isn't being played.

Just another case of more irrelevant wishing for (insert young player like Splitter, Hariston, Mahinmi etc from the Spurs in the past couple of years) marginal young players replacing other players.

Pacersalltheway10
01-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Yep, nothing like trying to force square peg into a round hole. Wanting something and that something being able is 2 different things. I'd love to have a PG Stephenson's size, but I want a "true PG" not a SG forced into trying to play PG. I can't see how you could even consider Stephenson a combo guard with his lack of PG skills. He's a scoring SG who can't play "D". Those types are a dime a dozen.

How do you know he hasnt improved on Defence? That's the thing that kept Lance from playing earlier in the year because JOB said so himself now JOB is praising the kid. We don't know what we got until we actually play him.

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 10:06 PM

I know your being sarcastic, and maybe you have never been arrested. However, regardless of the mistake/incident, if you have made changes to be a better man, one who is a young kid growing up and trying to make changes I dont see anything wrong with acknowledging that

Nothing wrong with positive reinforcement

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 10:17 PM

Its not about taking anything from AJ. Totally different situation. AJ has played both this season and last (his rookie)

Lance his yet to play 1 minute in the NBA

People just want to see him get a chance, not necessarily in the rotation

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
If you do see him on the court, it's because TPTB have it on good word it will be dropped/ scaled way down. Morway kinda already hinted that they felt this way, seeing Lance on the court would speek very loudly towards that point.

I got to second this

With all the Pacers past off court problems I cant see any way Lance would even be with the team if Morway/Bird didnt have a very strong feeling things would work out ok.

There is too much drama in the past

spazzxb
01-16-2011, 10:32 PM
I got to second this

With all the Pacers past off court problems I cant see any way Lance would even be with the team if Morway/Bird didnt have a very strong feeling things would work out ok.

Just curious, why aren't you using the Avatar that guy made you?

xBulletproof
01-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I got to second this

It doesn't matter what they 'feel'. You can't punish a guy before he even see's court. You'd be asking for all kinds of legal issues.

Hicks
01-16-2011, 10:46 PM
I know your being sarcastic, and maybe you have never been arrested. However, regardless of the mistake/incident, if you have made changes to be a better man, one who is a young kid growing up and trying to make changes I dont see anything wrong with acknowledging that

Nothing wrong with positive reinforcement

No, I've never been arrested; not even close. It's a foreign concept to me. So you won't see me patting him on the back for NOT being accused of beating up his girl any given Sunday. If he finishes his time as a Pacer without a single further problem like this, at that point in time I'll give him credit for never going down that path again. But I won't know until we get there.

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Just curious, why aren't you using the Avatar that guy made you?

I was unaware he had made it. If so I would love to use it. If you know how I can get it, please let me know

pacer4ever
01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
I was unaware he had made it. If so I would love to use it. If you know how I can get it, please let me know

Bump that thread

it is in there

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 11:00 PM
No, I've never been arrested; not even close. beating up his girl any given Sunday.

What does " not even close mean"?

And if positive reinforcement would help his development, why not? As opposed to the possible alternative of more trouble.

The any given Sunday reference , doesnt really apply. Were talking about a single incident

Not to get off on a whole social issue, and hope you dont think Im attacking you but I would bet there is a big difference between growing up in a housing project in coney island, Brooklyn vs New Castle, Indiana

and no , I am not saying thats an excuse, just the reality of two different worlds

BringJackBack
01-16-2011, 11:03 PM

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=60234 :)

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Bump that thread

it is in there

I guess im dumb man, how do I find it exactly, so I can use it?

Eleazar
01-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Something about "potential", "youth", and something.

Same thing you hear all around the league about every other team's rookies when the backups are doing well but not as well as a starter- which makes fans question why the player with more "upside" isn't being played.

Just another case of more irrelevant wishing for (insert young player like Splitter, Hariston, Mahinmi etc from the Spurs in the past couple of years) marginal young players replacing other players.

No, it is because he is better than TJ right NOW, and has the ability to challenge Collison for the starting position. Yeshe has potential, but the reason we want to see him is because he is already a good player that is better than the player immediately in front of him. There should be no argument about this.

pacer4ever
01-16-2011, 11:14 PM
I guess im dumb man, how do I find it exactly, so I can use it?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=60234

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 11:34 PM
got it , thanks

Hicks
01-16-2011, 11:37 PM
What does " not even close mean"?

It means I live a lifestyle that doesn't come close to having me be in a situation where the police would need to ever be involved. It's not that hard.

Hicks
01-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Not to get off on a whole social issue, and hope you dont think Im attacking you but I would bet there is a big difference between growing up in a housing project in coney island, Brooklyn vs New Castle, Indiana

and no , I am not saying thats an excuse, just the reality of two different worlds

You think we don't have criminals in New Castle? heh heh heh.....

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 11:41 PM
It means I live a lifestyle that doesn't come close to having me be in a situation where the police would need to ever be involved. It's not that hard.

Well, the thousands of (insert number here) falsely arrested/persecuted people would disagree with you.

I know what you are saying though. You try and live by the law, dont take risks , and dont put yourself in bad situations

Thats great (not being sarcastic)

I just dont think things like upbringing and chances are so black and white

90'sNBARocked
01-16-2011, 11:43 PM
You think we don't have criminals in New Castle? heh heh heh.....

criminals sure there everywhere

but I have been to Coney Island ,Brooklyn and although I cant remember going to New Castle I would imagine it is not to much different from places like Westfield/Sheridan where I have been, and those tow areas are worlds apart in terms of the level of criminal activity and violence

Hicks
01-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Sounds like your bottom line is "Criminals are made, not born." I don't think anyone disagrees, but you know what, you still can't be one, so what's the point in bringing that line of thought up when someone (allegedly) screws up like this? It doesn't make any difference.

xBulletproof
01-16-2011, 11:57 PM
New Castle is hardcore man! They be killing folks!

Ok, not so much, but they do have the coolest looking Subway on Memorial Drive. They also have some horrible radio DJ's on G101.3 that tried to rap, and I laughed for weeks.

Speaking of ... I did work on a house in New Castle and the resident had the last name Hicks. I'm certainly not going to say where, but it was at the end of a cul-de-sac and had a really nice basketball goal in the yard facing the street. Pretty big yard too. Any relation Hicks? That would be weird. :laugh:

Hicks
01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
No relation; not my last name.

Sookie
01-17-2011, 12:21 AM

They tried to play him at PG in AAU. Fail.
They tried to play him at PG in highschool. Fail.
They tried to play him at PG at Cincy. Fail.

I can tell by watching him in the summer league and preseason and some college last season, he's not a point guard.

Perhaps I'm being silly, but I doubt very much that someone who couldn't be a pg in AAU, highschool, or college, can play the pg position in the Pros. Doesn't that seem backwards to some people.

I think Larry Bird likes him very much, and is being stubborn about him. Yes, he has some traits that make people go "oh, he can be a PG." But he's not. If we want to give him the best opportunity to succeed..he's a scoring SG.

Sookie
01-17-2011, 12:26 AM

If you like flash and athleticism, Price is extremely unremarkable. There is absolutely nothing this kid will do that will make anyone go "WOW" at first glance. (With the exception of his crossover, when people fall..)

If you appreciate high basketball IQ, craftiness, all around skills, and an ability to run an offense and to be a great court general..then you'd probably see a lot in Price you like.

I want to see him play because he's better than Ford, and will challenge Collison. Not because of potential. You play George and Lance for potential. You play Price because, at worst, he's the second best PG on the roster.

This isn't about Lance vs AJ though. Lance isn't a PG. In fact, I think the only player Lance has a shot at playing well with on this team is Price. (AJ would allow him to dominate the ball and still be able to run the team/run the offense. He can also shoot well enough to compliment Lance's driving) Would have been Dun as well but the defense would be so terrible...

But we can easily have a four wing rotation with Lance/PG/Danny/BRush..or whoever we get to upgrade, though. And as I said..I think we should see how he looks at either position. I'll be willing to admit I'm wrong if he proves he can play the PG position. But it hasn't gone well every time he's tried.

Bball
01-17-2011, 01:49 AM
No relation; not my last name.

Everyone in Newcastle is not related???

;)

Bball
01-17-2011, 01:52 AM

I can tell by watching him in the summer league and preseason and some college last season, he's not a point guard.

Perhaps I'm being silly, but I doubt very much that someone who couldn't be a pg in AAU, highschool, or college, can play the pg position in the Pros. Doesn't that seem backwards to some people.

I think Larry Bird likes him very much, and is being stubborn about him. Yes, he has some traits that make people go "oh, he can be a PG." But he's not. If we want to give him the best opportunity to succeed..he's a scoring SG.

It's not like O'Brien's system really needs a true PG....

The scary thing is, if they seem him as potentially a future Pacer PG in Capt Contradiction's system, does that mean they don't see the system ending any time soon?

spazzxb
01-17-2011, 05:33 AM

I should have just given you the link, I had assumed you just didn't know it was there.

90'sNBARocked
01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
So maybe , and appropriately on Dr Kings holiday, Lance gets a couple minutes on the court?

speakout4
01-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Just curious because you do not seem to really like any pacer PG other than AJ. Is he a friend, relative?

Sookie
01-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Just curious because you do not seem to really like any pacer PG other than AJ. Is he a friend, relative?

I like Collison, Rush, Hans, Josh, Roy, Danny, Paul George, Foster and Dun. And have been pretty obvious about it.

I also don't see how saying Stephenson is not a point guard is insulting. Many of his biggest fans here agree with me.

Manu Ginobili, despite the fact that he's one of the best passers in the NBA, is not a point guard. He's my favorite men's basketball player, period. And I don't think it's insulting to say he's not a point guard..

Fact is he's (lance) been repeatedly tried at that position, and it's repeatedly failed. Why on earth do people feel it'll be successful at the highest level of basketball? Why not try him at a position he'll have a better shot at succeeding at now..and maybe if he catches on there, we can talk about having him become a combo guard? Once again, does that make too much sense?

edit: Oh sorry, you said PG. I like Collison very much actually. I think Price can challenge Collison for the starter spot if given the opportunity, but I like Collison a lot. And I've been very up front about that actually..

TJ..no..I can't stand TJ. Can anyone besides Flox stand TJ? And I don't think Lance is a PG..and I've come to that conclusion through his history at trying to play that position.. I don't understand why some people think that a player who couldn't play the point guard position in College, highschool, or AAU, can magically play it in the NBA. Please explain that.

speakout4
01-17-2011, 04:52 PM
I like Collison, Rush, Hans, Josh, Roy, Danny, Paul George, Foster and Dun. And have been pretty obvious about it.

I also don't see how saying Stephenson is not a point guard is insulting. Many of his biggest fans here agree with me.

Manu Ginobili, despite the fact that he's one of the best passers in the NBA, is not a point guard. He's my favorite men's basketball player, period. And I don't think it's insulting to say he's not a point guard..

Fact is he's (lance) been repeatedly tried at that position, and it's repeatedly failed. Why on earth do people feel it'll be successful at the highest level of basketball? Why not try him at a position he'll have a better shot at succeeding at now..and maybe if he catches on there, we can talk about having him become a combo guard? Once again, does that make too much sense?
I said pacer PG -not pacer players.

As I remember you weren't too keen on DC at the beginning. You did not answer my question which is your perogative.

Sookie
01-17-2011, 04:56 PM
I said pacer PG -not pacer players.

As I remember you weren't too keen on DC at the beginning. You did not answer my question which is your perogative.

I didn't think DC and JOB's offense would mesh. Collison likes the ball in his hands, and JOB wasn't going to let him do that. Was I wrong? I thought the obvious solution was to get a new coach. :laugh:

and no, I'm not. And you haven't answered my question about Lance.

speakout4
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM

edit: Oh sorry, you said PG. I like Collison very much actually. I think Price can challenge Collison for the starter spot if given the opportunity, but I like Collison a lot. And I've been very up front about that actually..

TJ..no..I can't stand TJ. Can anyone besides Flox stand TJ? And I don't think Lance is a PG..and I've come to that conclusion through his history at trying to play that position.. I don't understand why some people think that a player who couldn't play the point guard position in College, highschool, or AAU, can magically play it in the NBA. Please explain that.
High school and a year of college aside many people think that it is not out of the realm of reason that Lance can give us minutes at the point particularly when we need a guy with size. We saw that in the summer league and the consensus was that lance at the point was not a failed experiment even if his defense was not up to par....I don't think any other PG on the team is even 6'.

People want to be convinced that Lance is or is not going to help this team by seeing him on the court in both roles of PG and SG. We do not need to be persuaded by what he was in high school and college.

Call it an ongoing experiment.

Gamble1
01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
You guys are just stuck on positional purity. Lance could easily function as a George Hill type player for us. He isn't much of creator for others either but a HOF coach still understands that he is the best option for their backup pg.

pwee31
01-17-2011, 06:40 PM
I think I'm ready for him to get his shot too. Pretty much tired of watching T.J Ford missing layups. Give me Stephenson or Price

90'sNBARocked
01-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Its past time to at least get a shot

Sookie
01-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Its past time to at least get a shot

If the Pacers have a terrible road trip, they should start playing ALL of the kids. It'll be time to see Price, Stephenson, and Josh..along with Tyler, Darren, PG, and BRush.

MiaDragon
01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
If the Pacers have a terrible road trip, they should start playing ALL of the kids. It'll be time to see Price, Stephenson, and Josh..along with Tyler, Darren, PG, and BRush.

Never gonna happen, We can drop every remaining game and it STILL wouldn't happen.