PDA

View Full Version : Kris Humphries

Wylder1324
01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
I've keeping up with this guy when I can and I really like what I have seen. He is listed at 6'9 but I referenced his combine measurements and he was 6'9.5 and compared his other results and the guy is .25 shorter than Blake Griffin and surpassed him in wingspan, standing reach, vertical, sprint.....now obviously Im not insinuating he is anywhere near the player Blake is but the guy is chiseled, is a rebounding machine and blocks shots and has shown that when asked to he can really score the ball. I would really like to go after this guy in FA as I think he can play both PF/C and while I had originally hoped we could make a play for DeAndre Jordan it looks like the Clips are really going to want to hang on to him and if not some other teams may be offering a lot more than I think he is worth. Humph is 25 so still young enough to be a part of the core and could probably be had for cheap.....and apparently the guy is serious with one of the Kardashian girls.....wouldn't mind seeing her in the stands ha. What do you guys think ?

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't mind Humphries as a backup 4/5. It still catches me off guard to see that he's only 25 currently, considering this is his 7th season in the NBA. I remember when he came out of the Univ. of Minnesota he was a beast, but it never really translated to the NBA game enough for him to get major minutes anywhere until this season. He's having a pretty damn good season for the Nets though now that he's getting a fair amount of playing time.

xBulletproof
01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Contract year. Huge red flag.

No thanks.

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Contract year. Huge red flag.

No thanks.

That would actually be right in line with his past too, since people said he was all about getting his stats his only year at Minnesota in order to build his draft stock. Worked out for him then. He was the 14th pick in the draft. :hmm:

ballism
01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
A guy who can't shoot, can't pass next to Hibbert who also can't shoot for months in a row? He can do some damage defensively with his strength, he might be the strongest PF in the league, and I like him as a backup, but we already have Tyler. We really need to fix the holes in the starting lineup first.

Los Angeles
01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Humphries is the primary beneficiary of both the benching of Troy Murphy AND the intentional minute limits given to rookie Derrik Favors.

As a result, he's having a kind of "break out" year statistically, but I'm unsure of what that means in the grand scheme of things. I have a feeling that this is likely his career peak.

This is the time for the Nets to "sell high" on him.

Shade
01-15-2011, 05:45 PM
We need to aim higher. Much higher.

Wylder1324
01-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah I know what you mean as far as being surprised at how young he is. The NBA is such a game of chance for players as far as getting drafted or traded to the wrong team and not finding your niche......I think he still has a lot of untapped potential. Im really anxious to see what some of our guys can do under a coach that doesn't hold them back.....which is why Im still crossing my fingers hoping we can JOB before seasons end so that we might be able to see what we really have before entering into this FA period. I would love 20 games of Posey and Ford on the inactive list and Tyler, Josh, Lance, Paul, and Price getting a lot more burn.....

ballism
01-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Humphries is the primary beneficiary of both the benching of Troy Murphy AND the intentional minute limits given to rookie Derrik Favors.

As a result, he's having a kind of "break out" year statistically, but I'm unsure of what that means in the grand scheme of things. I have a feeling that this is likely his career peak.

This is the time for the Nets to "sell high" on him.

Also add that he's playing next to a center who literally has hard time catching even those rebounds that fall right into him. It's nice to be rebounding on a team like this. He does have skills though, he pretty much killed Griffin in their head to head matchup. He's not a long term starting solution to any self respecting team though, imo.

Wylder1324
01-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Thats not really quantifiable......when he was in Dallas and got PT he put up similar numbers and that wasn't a contract year. Unfortunately in Dallas he was behind a Hall of Fame guy in Dirk....Im not saying Kris is the answer at PF, but I think he would be a nice option off the bench. As far as aiming higher......Im not real sure who you guys have in mind in Free Agency.

beast23
01-15-2011, 05:56 PM
We need to aim higher. Much higher.Ditto. They can keep Humphries and send us Kim Kardashian instead. Maybe she can be had for a second round pick, you think?

Anyway... can anyone say.... D-A-V-I-D W-E-S-T?

He is worth just as much to us as a Danny Granger. And at this time, we have players that can produce much close to Granger's level at SF than at West's level at PF. And no, I'm not proposing that we swap Granger; I'm just attempting to point out the value of a David West. He is one of only a couple of players that fit almost exactly what we need... and may very well be the only player that does fit that might be available this summer. If available, we should not let that chance pass us by; we should make our best offer to see if it is enough to attract him.

BornReady#6
01-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Humphries is just a poor mans Brian Scalabrine, I say no thanks! Lets go after the real Scals right now!

http://thehotglove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/scalring_medium.jpg

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
I definitely wouldn't be opposed to throwing around $9-$10 mill per season at David West to be our starting PF. He and DC could run the pick-n-roll to death and that alone would make our team 5-10 wins richer next season.

Wylder1324
01-15-2011, 06:03 PM
My problem with David West is his age. If he were the missing link to putting us in a position to contend for a championship then ok....but he isn't. He will be 31 at the start of next season which mean he will probably demand a 4-5 year deal which means we are paying him likely for 2 seasons of minimal productivity in the prime of some of our younger guys careers....he isn't a great rebounder, nor is a great defender.......I just don't think West is the answer....not that he isn't a great player....just not IMO a good fit here.

BornReady#6
01-15-2011, 06:03 PM
No thanks to David West either, he is to old, and is starting to decline. I would like to see Tyler do well this season, and keep the position. If not one of these guys:

K.Love
Zbo
DeAndre Jordan
Scalabrine

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4uqqapoL7_Y8fM:http://www.bostonsportz.com/storage/b-scalabrine.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=12323140 19947&t=1

Wylder1324
01-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Scalabrine....Im going to guess that should have been in green......Scal is a strictly perimeter guy....Humphries is an inside above the rim kind of guy....

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 06:05 PM
If West would take a 3 year deal from us for $30 million, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That means Tyler isn't forced to be our answer before he's ready to and that keeps us away from having an old man on the books that we don't want to pay (see: Jermaine O'Neal).

ballism
01-15-2011, 06:34 PM
West came into the league late, he's just about to play his 500th regular season game (compare to 900+ for KG when he was that age), he has a good jump shot and good offensive skillset overall, so I wouldn't be sure his contributions will be 'minimal' three years from now.
I'd be completely fine with a 4-5 year deal as long as it's at around 10 mil per.
The only issues I see is that neither him nor Hibbert are great rebounders, nor top tier defenders. So we'd still have gaps. But either way we go with free agency, there's no perfect 4 in there, and noone is giving us Blake Griffins, Amares and Kevin Loves.

Hicks
01-15-2011, 07:27 PM
He and Tyler are essentially the same, so there's no point in getting him unless we trade Tyler for a different piece.

Justin Tyme
01-15-2011, 07:38 PM
They can keep Humphries and send us Kim Kardashian instead. Maybe she can be had for a second round pick, you think?

It would be the best 2nd rd pick Bird will ever make! :D

Justin Tyme
01-15-2011, 07:52 PM
The thing that might help with taking on West is the CBA limiting years of contracts to 3 or 4 years as well as the money that can be offered. It really puts FA in a quandry until a new CBA is in place.

Really?
01-15-2011, 08:00 PM
I think he is a good player, but as hicks said he is so similar to tyler... I am satisfied with tyler actually and his development, I wouldn't mind starting him at the 4 for the next couple of years truthfully, he is that high energy guy that we need on our team that always puts forward full effort...

Thats just my opinion though....Tyler gets in the game and gets it done, I am more than satisfied at the 4...

hoops_guy
01-16-2011, 03:00 AM
We need to aim higher. Much higher.

Much, MUCH higher. Almost as high as David Harrison.

MyFavMartin
01-16-2011, 09:41 AM
If we were signing a cheap young talent at the 4/5 spot, I like Yi at Washington, who does hit the midrange jumper and is athletic and blocks shots. Humphries has never really struck as a guy that might break out, but Yi, for some reason, does.

ballism
01-16-2011, 09:48 AM
If we were signing a cheap young talent at the 4/5 spot, I like Yi at Washington, who does hit the midrange jumper and is athletic and blocks shots. Humphries has never really struck as a guy that might break out, but Yi, for some reason, does.

Yeah, but is Yi young talent? If his birth date was pushed forward by 3+ years, as reported many times, that leaves little room for a break out.

dohman
01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Is david west that good of a shooter? Over the past 5 games I have been really impressed with tylers ability to hit a jump shot. He has no fear taking them.

How much different is wests game? I have never seen him play so its hard for me to judge.

beast23
01-16-2011, 11:07 AM
I think he is a good player, but as hicks said he is so similar to tyler... I am satisfied with tyler actually and his development, I wouldn't mind starting him at the 4 for the next couple of years truthfully, he is that high energy guy that we need on our team that always puts forward full effort...

Thats just my opinion though....Tyler gets in the game and gets it done, I am more than satisfied at the 4...I would much rather Tyler be our "Antonio Davis" under development. I would like to see him become the player who is good enough to warrant being the first big off the bench but is capable of stepping in and starting as needed.

We not only need an additional quality starter in our frontcourt, we also need a consistently good big coming off the bench. We have all seen that Tyler can be very good. I think the first step in Tyler's development is to offer consistent production game in and game out, striving for much the same thing that Rush is striving for.

Until he is capable of achieving that, he will never be a quality starter. And, I think it is best that we use some of our forthcoming cap space to acquire and use a quality starter. If Tyler is able to develop into a quality starter himself, then we will only be that much better.