PDA

View Full Version : Rockets receive $5.765 million injury exception for Yao

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 12:45 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71160/20110115/rockets_granted_injury_exception_for_yao/

The NBA has granted the Rockets a disabled player salary exception in the wake of Yao Ming's season-ending injury.

Yao underwent surgery on Jan. 6 to repair a stress fracture in his left ankle.

The exception allows Houston to acquire a free agent, or trade for a player without having to match salaries, up to the value of the mid-level exception (about $5.765 million).

The Rockets must use the exception by Jan. 31 or it will expire.

Houston was granted the same exception after Yao missed last season following re-constructive foot surgery.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71160/20110115/rockets_granted_injury_exception_for_yao/#ixzz1B7fvH8CD

Myself and a couple others on here have talked about trying to trade with Houston recently and now seems like the perfect time to do so. They only have until January 31st to use the exception, so why not try to strike while the iron is hot? No current ideas on who or what to trade but we need to be looking at Houston as a potential partner in talks, even if it's just as a 3rd team to eat salary.

Players that Houston has that would fit our needs here in Indy:

Luis Scola
possibly Jordan Hill

BringJackBack
01-15-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm telling you, Luis Scola is going to tremendously help this team if we were to pick him up. If Paul George isn't going to get the minutes, go after Kevin Martin too. He's been healthy and even though he's bad defensively, our defense isn't the problem.

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 01:12 PM
I'll take Scola in a heartbeat but I wouldn't touch Kevin Martin and his contract unless we were to swap him for Granger and get a young prospect out of the deal. Martin has a better contract, with it being 1 year shorter and he's only owed 11 mil next season and 12 mill the following season. Martin would basically be our starting SG and provide the same thing Granger does just from a different position, while Rush and Paul George could pick up the slack at the SF position. Martin is also a lot more explosive as a scorer. He's averaging 3 more points per game than Granger while playing significantly less minutes and shooting a better %.

Dr. Awesome
01-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Scola is older, I would target Jordan Hill. Scola is obviously better, but just doesn't fit in with our core. Hill has the potential to be everything we need next to Hibbert.

BringJackBack
01-15-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree SMosley. Too much salary.. That's something like $22 million for Kevin Martin and Granger. If we did a three team trade and got Kevin Martin and Jordan Hill for say.. Danny and one of our decent young pieces I'd be ecstatic.

Plus Kevin Martin gets to the line. A LOT. Close to 10 times per game. 321 attempts in 38 games.

EDIT: Heck, because I'm bored I'm going to start a thread in the trade proposal.

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Scola is older, I would target Jordan Hill. Scola is obviously better, but just doesn't fit in with our core. Hill has the potential to be everything we need next to Hibbert.

Hill is also an Arizona Wildcat, so that automatically gets him awesomeness points from me

If I had my way, we would be bringing over Jordan Hill AND Chase Budinger. :dance:

Deadshot
01-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Why would the Rockets trade Scola now?

BringJackBack
01-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Why would the Rockets trade Scola now?

They aren't going to get close to making the playoffs, Scola is 30 something years old, he just signed an extension, and ever since Yao got injured again they are about to blow the whole thing up and just get assets and clear salary so that they can start all over.

They have a lot of decent young pieces.

pacergod2
01-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I would give them our first for Jordan Hill. I think he was a bit overrated coming out of college based solely on potential, but he seems to be working hard and his body is MUCH improved since he came out. He is really athletic and plays above the rim. I really am warming up to his game and I think he is the type of player that really cares about developing, because he has shown a lot of progress from where he was coming out of college. He still has a ways to go, but he is definitely a PF/C guy who can play both positions, which is important to us. Is he too young, yes, but our whole team is young. Let Jeff Foster help the kid learn.

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Just a recent highlight from J. Hill (Budinger with the nice feed too)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L4QzePUaSz4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;col or2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L4QzePUaSz4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;col or2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>