PDA

View Full Version : Player introductions and JOB.

graphic-er
01-14-2011, 11:34 PM
We we were at the game tonight, and I noticed something so odd, so out of place that was not the case at the last game we went to, which was on New Year's Eve.

They introduced Jim O'Brien at the beginning of the player introductions with the Chicago Bulls Coach, and THEN went on to introduce Chicago's line up and then of course the Pacers intro presentation . Normally JOB is introduced at the beginning of the Pacers intros. The last several games I've been to the Boo's have been very loud, and so now the they have figured out a way to spare JOB of the fans reaction toward him. Of course the fans are going to boo the opposing team's coach, so they aren't technically booing JOB any longer!

This is just a very sad acknowledgment that the organization knows the fans hate the coach.

Roaming Gnome
01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
“@SMosley21: any reason why O'Brien didn't get announced before the game?” U know why...to avoid the starts with b rhymes with snooze

You nailed it, Graphic-er!

Hicks
01-15-2011, 12:21 AM
They did this for the Dallas game, too. They introduced he and Rick simultaneously before getting to the Dallas starters. It's obviously to avoid the boos.

LA_Confidential
01-15-2011, 12:30 AM
So not only do we know JOB sucks a**, They know JOB sucks a**. And by doing these bogus intro's it only shows us that they know that we know that they know JOB sucks a**.

Naptown_Seth
01-15-2011, 12:47 AM
I think what you mean is that not only do we know that JOB stinks, but they know that we know he stinks, and now we know that they know that we know he stinks.

The question is, does he know?*

* I'm going with "doubtful" on this one

Dr. Awesome
01-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Wow, this just makes me more upset with the Pacers FO.

Its one thing if they just don't go on the internet to see how the fans feel about him, but knowing that they know, and are trying to cover it up really makes me mad.

How can they support someone when their fan base doesn't? That will doom a franchise.

xBulletproof
01-15-2011, 12:59 AM
There's a difference between supporting him, and letting him finish out his contract to save the team millions of dollars in case of a lockout.

;)

Dr. Awesome
01-15-2011, 01:01 AM
There's a difference between supporting him, and letting him finish out his contract to save the team millions of dollars in case of a lockout.

;)

Promote from within.

Problem solved.

xBulletproof
01-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Except that I would assume most guys on his staff probably have the same philosophies as Jim O'Brien does.

Probably not so easily solved.

Dr. Awesome
01-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Except that I would assume most guys on his staff probably have the same philosophies as Jim O'Brien does.

Probably not so easily solved.

I doubt that many people are that ignorant about basketball. Plenty of times you see an assistant coach take a team and apply a completely different philosophy.

Dr. Awesome
01-15-2011, 01:07 AM
Also why would someone do the exact same thing as the guy who just got fired?

pacer4ever
01-15-2011, 01:42 AM
:laugh:
I think what you mean is that not only do we know that JOB stinks, but they know that we know he stinks, and now we know that they know that we know he stinks.

The question is, does he know?*

* I'm going with "doubtful" on this one

:confused: ;) :laugh:

vnzla81
01-15-2011, 06:38 AM
We we were at the game tonight, and I noticed something so odd, so out of place that was not the case at the last game we went to, which was on New Year's Eve.

They introduced Jim O'Brien at the beginning of the player introductions with the Chicago Bulls Coach, and THEN went on to introduce Chicago's line up and then of course the Pacers intro presentation . Normally JOB is introduced at the beginning of the Pacers intros. The last several games I've been to the Boo's have been very loud, and so now the they have figured out a way to spare JOB of the fans reaction toward him. Of course the fans are going to boo the opposing team's coach, so they aren't technically booing JOB any longer!

This is just a very sad acknowledgment that the organization knows the fans hate the coach.

They been doing this forever now, I noticed it like a month ago.

Roaming Gnome
01-15-2011, 06:48 AM
They been doing this forever now, I noticed it like a month ago.

Wrong!!!

Take it from a long time Season Ticket Holder... The first time this happened was against the Mavs on Wednesday. Typically the starting line-ups would introduce the head coach after the opening video montage where he could be boo'd lustfully and independently before any player introductions.

vnzla81
01-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Wrong!!!

Take it from a long time Season Ticket Holder... The first time this happened was against the Mavs on Wednesday. Typically the starting line-ups would introduce the head coach after the opening video montage where he could be boo'd lustfully and independently before any player introductions.

They been doing different things, maybe this is a new way to try to silence the fans, but I remember at the Lakers game that MG said JOB and didn't wait to start naming the Pacers players, I talked about that when that happen but nobody noticed, it was just weird.

Larry Staverman
01-15-2011, 09:45 AM
I see this as a good sign.

I do not believe that JOB will be fired before the end of the season for financial and other reasons.

On the other hand the front office is now acknowledging that they know JOB has lost the fans and that they do not like him. Couple that with the lackluster performance of the team and it can only add up to one thing.

Our wish is Bird's command at the end of the season.

JOB.....YOUR'RE FIRED!!!!!!!

BlueNGold
01-15-2011, 10:01 AM
I do not believe that JOB will be fired before the end of the season for financial and other reasons.

This has been my position for a long time.

What I do believe is that the JOb era has run its course. The team cannot afford another year of him.

We are no better than the day the man walked into Indy because he continues to try to force a system that does not fit the roster.

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 10:29 AM
As Gnome already pointed out, Michael Grady acknowledged this via twitter during the Mavs game. That's one of the things I love about Grady. He typically isn't afraid to speak honestly about the team and generally has the same opinions of the team and the front office decisions that a lot of us do.

Scot Pollard
01-15-2011, 10:39 AM
michael grady is a way better public address announcer than that older man for years

he made me want to fall asleep but mg has a lot of energy and the fans get into it people are cheering more and it goes well with our young teams atmosphere

i especially like how he says danny granger when he scores

and paul geooooooorge

about the jim obrien introduction we're all not afraid to boo i mean we were all booing last night and its quite pathetic how the home crowd has to boo someone part of their team

its sad how its come to that

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 10:42 AM
uh oh! This might get ugly. I don't think we're allowed to say Grady is better than Reb Porter. Not without being told how young and stupid we are for having that opinion. :rolleyes:

Hicks
01-15-2011, 11:10 AM
uh oh! This might get ugly. I don't think we're allowed to say Grady is better than Reb Porter. Not without being told how young and stupid we are for having that opinion. :rolleyes:

I don't recall anyone saying that here.

Hicks
01-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Wrong!!!

Message Received, Thank You!!!

:laugh: ;)

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't recall anyone saying that here.

I don't recall the thread, but it has happened before. Maybe not those exact words but the same vibe.

Justin Tyme
01-15-2011, 11:48 AM

;)

With the season almost half over, how much is still owed on Jimmy's contract, IF he was left go? Would it really be MILLIONS at this point? Does anyone even know how much he makes?

90'sNBARocked
01-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Promote from within.

Problem solved.

A FREAKIN MEN BRO

PROMOTE VOGEL, OR HELL EVEN WALKER OR POTEPENKO ANYBODY BUT THIS CLOWN

IF HE WAS COACHING IN COLOMBIA HE WOULD BE SHOT BY NOW

Sookie
01-15-2011, 12:28 PM
How about we have Posey retire and coach the team.

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 12:33 PM

I actually don't think Posey would make a terrible coach. His menality and his pysical abilities just don't match up anymore. Posey's mentality is that of a cold blooded killer on the floor (anyone who thinks otherwise had never seen him play in his prime), but a lot of Pacers fans have a skewed view of him because of the way Jim O'Brien uses him. Posey has a great mind for the defensive side of things and could excel in that area. I would not be at all surprised to see him as an assistant coach within a few years of retiring.

Dr. Awesome
01-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I actually don't think Posey would make a terrible coach. His menality and his pysical abilities just don't match up anymore. Posey's mentality is that of a cold blooded killer on the floor (anyone who thinks otherwise had never seen him play in his prime), but a lot of Pacers fans have a skewed view of him because of the way Jim O'Brien uses him. Posey has a great mind for the defensive side of things and could excel in that area. I would not be at all surprised to see him as an assistant coach within a few years of retiring.

Agreed. I still think Mark Jackson will make a good coach, he just doesn't want to go through the process too. Also Darrell Armstrong - I miss that guy...

Sookie
01-15-2011, 12:37 PM

I don't think so either, that's why I said it. He's got a leadership quality and he understands the game. He also knows what it takes to win. He wants to get into coaching too.

It'd never happen, but I like the idea. :laugh:

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I don't think so either, that's why I said it. He's got a leadership quality and he understands the game. He also knows what it takes to win. He wants to get into coaching too.

It'd never happen, but I like the idea. :laugh:

Something that I noticed about Posey during the Dallas game this week really shows what type of person he is too. I noticed that after player intros as the starters were heading out for the tip-off, Posey gave hugs/fives/fist bumps to all the players then proceeded to give fist bumps to all of the water boys, ball boys and trainers behind the bench. The guy is extremely professional and is a team guy. I imagine he would be a pretty selfless coach and would take accountability for his team as a coach.

xBulletproof
01-15-2011, 01:21 PM
With the season almost half over, how much is still owed on Jimmy's contract, IF he was left go? Would it really be MILLIONS at this point? Does anyone even know how much he makes?

It has nothing to do with that. If there's a work stoppage, coaches still get paid. They're not part of the players association, obviously. Hiring a coach would cause the Pacers millions of dollars if there is a work stoppage next season paying a coach that doesn't have players to coach.

That's the reason I believe Jim had his option year picked up, and why he's still here.

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 01:30 PM
It has nothing to do with that. If there's a work stoppage, coaches still get paid. They're not part of the players association, obviously. Hiring a coach would cause the Pacers millions of dollars if there is a work stoppage next season paying a coach that doesn't have players to coach.

That's the reason I believe Jim had his option year picked up, and why he's still here.

But if O'Brien is let go and we promote from within like people are suggesting, all we would have to pay would be the rest of O'Brien's salary this season since his contract is over after this season and the salary of Vogel for the rest of the season. I'm pretty sure he would know that he was only a stop-gap coach. If a coach isn't under contract we don't have to pay them, work stoppage or not.

ZepZach
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
I like that Posey idea.... has anything like that ever really happened?

SMosley21
01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
I like that Posey idea.... has anything like that ever really happened?

Avery Johnson was basically groomed to be a coach his last few seasons as a player in the NBA. It's not legal under the CBA to have a player-coach now because coaches salaries aren't counted towards the salary cap.

pacer4ever
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Agreed. I still think Mark Jackson will make a good coach, he just doesn't want to go through the process too. Also Darrell Armstrong - I miss that guy...

He is a assit. coach under Rick Carlie

Mackey_Rose
01-15-2011, 02:04 PM
But if O'Brien is let go and we promote from within like people are suggesting, all we would have to pay would be the rest of O'Brien's salary this season since his contract is over after this season and the salary of Vogel for the rest of the season. I'm pretty sure he would know that he was only a stop-gap coach. If a coach isn't under contract we don't have to pay them, work stoppage or not.

Yep. Promote from within.

There is a good chance that Vogel, Burke, or anyone else would not be any better than O'Brien, but it doesn't really matter. They can't be worse. You make a change, not because the guy who is going to come in is better and is going to be the coach of the future, but you make a change purely for the purpose of making a change.

This team isn't going anywhere with O'Brien as the head coach. At least make it a point, to say to your players and fans, we aren't happy being mediocre year after year. By keeping O'Brien employed, the front office is basically giving the go-ahead to abject failure year after year.

At some point, he has to be held accountable for all the losing.

McKeyFan
01-15-2011, 04:13 PM

How often does Gnome get riled up? Not very often. Let's leave him be.

It's like benching Tyler after going 4 for 4 then missing a shot.

;)

BlueNGold
01-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Darrell Armstrong would make a great head coach. I suspect that's his next stop. I hope it's here...like tomorrow.

Bball
01-15-2011, 04:22 PM

It's like benching Tyler after going 4 for 4 then missing a three point shot.

;)

Fixed

Shade
01-15-2011, 05:11 PM
I see this as a good sign.

On the other hand the front office is now acknowledging that they know JOB has lost the fans and that they do not like him. Couple that with the lackluster performance of the team and it can only add up to one thing.

Our wish is Bird's command at the end of the season.

JOB.....YOUR'RE FIRED!!!!!!!

This is just what I was about to point out.

Btw, they won't have to "fire" Jim after the season. His contract will be up.

Shade
01-15-2011, 05:14 PM

It's like benching Tyler after going 4 for 4 then missing a shot.

;)

You don't go to draft parties with him... :runout: :D

Larry Staverman
01-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Btw, they won't have to "fire" Jim after the season. His contract will be up.

Maybe so but I sure as hell like the sound of hearing it!

joeyd
01-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Yep. Promote from within.

There is a good chance that Vogel, Burke, or anyone else would not be any better than O'Brien, but it doesn't really matter. They can't be worse.

M.R., you really don't mean this literally, right? I mean, we could be worse. A lot worse. Like "perpetual doormat" worse with the wrong guy at the helm. No indication that the players would respect the next guy any more than they respect JOB.

Wish we would have hired Byron Scott when he became available. Maybe there will be some obvious choices around when the season is over. In line with turning the corner sooner rather than later, and in hopes of boosting the fan base as soon as possible, it makes sense that the hire has to be someone with head coaching experience.

grace
01-15-2011, 05:28 PM

Please tell me you meant to post that in green.

There's making a change because you need a change and making a change for something equally as bad...or in this case (IMO) worse.

Bball
01-15-2011, 05:53 PM
If the Pacers are looking into ways to minimize the boos being directed toward Jim O'Brien when his name is announced then I suggest a change like this:

And the coach of your Indiana Pacers, with only [insert countdown number here] left in his tenure as coach- Jim O'Brien"

Or they could go this direction - "In his last appearance as head coach of the Indiana Pacers- Jim O'Brien".

That should change the boos to cheers in a hurry...

Unclebuck
01-15-2011, 08:06 PM
I think this is really sad, it is sad that the fans would boo the coach during the pregame intros.

I really do think that is sad that the fans would do that.

My honest opinion

hoops_guy
01-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I think it is really sad that the coach has given us a multitude of things to boo him for this past couple of years. Really sad.

McKeyFan
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
I think this is really sad, it is sad that the fans would boo the coach during the pregame intros.

My honest opinion
Geeze whiz UncleOpieBeaverCleaver.

ilive4sports
01-15-2011, 08:24 PM

My honest opinion

I think its really sad that JOB still has a job as head coach of the Indiana Pacers. It makes me cry sometimes:cry:

pacer4ever
01-15-2011, 08:26 PM

My honest opinion

FIXED*
u cant be serious this isnt 5th grade YMCA rec league we are talking about it is the NBA. Fans should do whatever they want and the Organzation should please it's fans we are the one's who give them the support and buy the jerseys and tickets.

COME ON MAN lol

Roaming Gnome
01-15-2011, 08:41 PM

I actually wanted to superimpose a "Family Feud" strike over vnzla's misinformed post, but the super sized wrong seemed to get the point across.

vnzla81
01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
I actually wanted to superimpose a "Family Feud" strike over vnzla's misinformed post, but the super sized wrong seemed to get the point across.

I didn't explaing myself the right way, what I was trying to say is that I think they been trying few things to cover up the boos like saying "JOB and your indiana Pacers" and things like that at the same time.

Roaming Gnome
01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I didn't explaing myself the right way, what I was trying to say is that I think they been trying few things to cover up the boos like saying "JOB and your indiana Pacers" and things like that at the same time.

Gotcha... Sorry if my response seemed pretty harsh, but I took your original response as trying to show up another poster. I totally misread you.

vnzla81
01-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Gotcha... Sorry if my response seemed pretty harsh, but I took your original response as trying to show up another poster. I totally misread you.

No problem I just got back from my vacation and I'm trying to switch my brain to english again reason why I sucked at trying to explain my point :blush:

Regarding the introductions like I said before I saw it at the Lakers game and I thought that it was weird.

Day-V
01-15-2011, 08:59 PM

My honest opinion

:50cent:

Unclebuck
01-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Geeze whiz UncleOpieBeaverCleaver.

I would never boo a current Pacers player during the pregame intros either.

Only possible way I might ever boo Jim O'Brien or any current Pacers coach is if I thought he was trying to lose games or if I knew he was not working hard or didn't care about trying to win games.

Hicks
01-16-2011, 01:06 AM

You should have gone this way:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/McAeQiLmEYU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/McAeQiLmEYU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:chuckle:

Peck
01-16-2011, 01:36 AM

My honest opinion

Actually the Pacers (the management group & not the players and coaching staff) should be very happy that the fans are booing.

Yea I know that is kind of stupid but the alternative is for them not to show up.

Honestly it is so bad in there about O'Brien that I think if they kicked out the people who don't boo him it would be you, BillS and myself left. (Notice I didn't say Gnome in this case.;))

For those of you that are concerned that the Pacers management may not be able to hear your boo's now that they have changed the intro's let me assure you if I hear it Larry Bird hears it and ultimately Herb Simon hears it if he is there.

The loudest most obnoxious person who boo's in the entire arena set's about 4 rows behind me and to my right. I assure you that he made it a point to yell at the top of his lungs last night "O'Brien is a bum" when they showed the coach from each team. As a side note this is the same gentleman who did the bike ride last night at the fieldhouse and showed everone present his plumbers crack. This guy is a real gem, yes that is sarcastic.

Mackey_Rose
01-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I would never boo a current Pacers player during the pregame intros either.

Only possible way I might ever boo Jim O'Brien or any current Pacers coach is if I thought he was trying to lose games or if I knew he was not working hard or didn't care about trying to win games.

In a way, I get what you are saying. I'm going to take it in another direction, just so you know that I do understand where you are coming from.

I am an American. I am staunchly opposed to nearly all of the major decisions made by the Obama Administration. I may dislike everything the man does, but he is still the President of the United States, and because I am an American, I will always support him, no matter what. I support the title, rather than the man who carries it.

But being a basketball coach is not the same as being the leader of the free world. Essentially you have proven to me, in this thread specifically, that you have a grossly overinflated view of the importance of being an NBA head coach.

ksuttonjr76
01-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Also why would someone do the exact same thing as the guy who just got fired?

I don't know why I found this comment so funny :laugh:?

Unclebuck
01-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Essentially you have proven to me, in this thread specifically, that you have a grossly overinflated view of the importance of being an NBA head coach.

No that isn't really it. No it is more that he is the Pacers coach, I am a Pacers fan and when I'm at the game I feel like I'm a guest and I wouldn't want to do anything that would in any way hurt the chances of the Pacers winning. And I think booing the head coach right before the game starts hurts the pacers chance of winning - at the very least it doesn't help.

Peck
01-16-2011, 03:23 PM
No that isn't really it. No it is more that he is the Pacers coach, I am a Pacers fan and when I'm at the game I feel like I'm a guest and I wouldn't want to do anything that would in any way hurt the chances of the Pacers winning. And I think booing the head coach right before the game starts hurts the pacers chance of winning - at the very least it doesn't help.

I disagree with this. You are not a guest, you are a paying customer at an entertainment venue. If you are displeased with the product on the floor then you have three options open to you.

1. Sit there and not express yourself (btw this is my option)

2. Don't go. (this is a lot of people' option)

3. Voice your displeasure (a few people choose this)

Again this is not year one, Jim used up all of his good will and benefit of the doubt points a long time ago with many fans & they have just had enough.

SMosley21
01-16-2011, 03:27 PM
The whole being a "guest" of the Pacers in Conseco has always sounded ridiculous to me. I invite people over to my apartment to watch UFC pay-per-views, they are my guests. People pay me to order the pay-per-view so they can come to my apartment and watch it, they are my customers.

spazzxb
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
So not only do we know JOB sucks a**, They know JOB sucks a**. And by doing these bogus intro's it only shows us that they know that we know that they know JOB sucks a**.

Just shows that they know he's this years scapegoat, nothing more. Tell me a coach in the last 20 years that the Indy fans didn't try and run out of town? Before the Superbowl people wanted Dungys head to.

McKeyFan
01-16-2011, 03:38 PM
It may help long term.

Peck
01-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Just shows that they know he's this years scapegoat, nothing more.

This years?

Did you attend many games last season? I can assure you that by this time last season the boo's were loud, early and often towards Jim as well.

ilive4sports
01-16-2011, 03:41 PM
I disagree with this. You are not a guest, you are a paying customer at an entertainment venue. If you are displeased with the product on the floor then you have three options open to you.

1. Sit there and not express yourself (btw this is my option)

2. Don't go. (this is a lot of people' option)

3. Voice your displeasure (a few people choose this)

Again this is not year one, Jim used up all of his good will and benefit of the doubt points a long time ago with many fans & they have just had enough.

Exactly. The fans put their hard earned money into buying these tickets, which aren't exactly cheap. And the team is just not performing. Everyone sees the questionable rotations JOB has. They also have seen this team do nothing in his tenure here. It's not all his fault, but he is certainly a big part of it.

And Peck is right, you're not a guest. They didn't invite you to come and watch the game for free. You paid money, just like everyone else. And when you aren't satisfied as a paying customer what do you do? You let them know. Fans have every right to boo the team and the coach when they aren't happy with them.

spazzxb
01-16-2011, 03:57 PM
This years?

Did you attend many games last season? I can assure you that by this time last season the boo's were loud, early and often towards Jim as well.

I will give you that, but Troy was the designated guy last year. I was arguing with the they know we know bs(as if its Birds great secret). They know we are losing and the fans always behave this way when we are loosing.

joeyd
01-16-2011, 04:08 PM
I have not booed anyone (coaches or players) of the team I've supported. These days it's tough not to, so I've had to really give it some thought as to why. This is what I've come up with:

1) I pretty much knew the product that I paid to see. When I bought my season tickets, I knew JOB was still the coach. I also knew that the roster was pretty much set as it was. I bought in for better or worse. I hoped for better, but I understood that things could be worse.

2) When fans boo, unless the timing is perfect and appropriate, I would think it's hard for the person being booed to know why he is being booed. Not every person is going to want the same person coming in or out of a game. So many people disagree with what should be the ideal rotation. What about play calling? And when a player goes in, would JOB think that it's him or the player being booed. Don't take it for granted that JOB knows that it's him, especially with the performances we've seen lately from some of the players.

3) Perhaps the second reason is the lamest, but here is probably the one that I go by. To me, booing for the home team is almost like cheering for the visiting team. It does nothing to help the morale of the home team, which in turn does nothing to promote the home field advantage.

Mackey_Rose
01-16-2011, 04:11 PM

A guest? It is a place of business, and you are the customer. You can voice your displeasure with the product they are in the business of serving you. You paid for that right.

joeyd
01-16-2011, 04:20 PM
A guest? It is a place of business, and you are the customer. You can voice your displeasure with the product they are in the business of serving you. You paid for that right.

Well, in general you are correct. You order something in a restaurant and you complain to the waiter or manager, but there is the expectation that the complaint is done with some measure of civility. In an arena, voicing displeasure is tricky. I don't know that I would enjoy the game if I was surrounded by folks that are constantly booing, especially, as mentioned in my above post, since fans that have paid to attend the game pretty much by now know what kind of product they are getting.

Peck
01-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Well, in general you are correct. You order something in a restaurant and you complain to the waiter or manager, but there is the expectation that the complaint is done with some measure of civility. In an arena, voicing displeasure is tricky. I don't know that I would enjoy the game if I was surrounded by folks that are constantly booing, especially, as mentioned in my above post, since fans that have paid to attend the game pretty much by now know what kind of product they are getting.

Your point is well taken and I agree that a game long tirade would be out of order, in fact as I stated I have a very obnoxious guy who sits behind me who does this the entire game and yes it get's old.

However we are not talking about game long booing, we are talking about the intro's when Jim O'Brien's name is introduced.

To me that is a very specific and very directed form of voicing your displeasure.

McKeyFan
01-16-2011, 05:22 PM
in fact as I stated I have a very obnoxious guy who sits behind me who does this the entire game and yes it get's old.
Will you buy that guy a beer for me?

Peck
01-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Will you buy that guy a beer for me?

Oh believe me the last thing that guy needs is another beer.

joeyd
01-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Your point is well taken and I agree that a game long tirade would be out of order, in fact as I stated I have a very obnoxious guy who sits behind me who does this the entire game and yes it get's old.
However we are not talking about game long booing, we are talking about the intro's when Jim O'Brien's name is introduced. To me that is a very specific and very directed form of voicing your displeasure.

Yes, you are right. I posted without proofing and now I see I posted without actually finishing my thoughts, and what I posted wasn't all exactly on topic! I am tending to do this more in my old age!

I do worry that a little booing opens the door to a lot of booing. There are folks near me that actually do boo throughout the game. Sometimes they boo for JOB. Most of the time its against the other team. Like you, I had someone behind me that was a boo-bird, but a non-stop boo-bird. Now I usually try to sit behind that guy whenever possible. Again, folks know the product they are buying into. I hope people won't go to the games with the main reason of booing JOB more than they usually do. This would be something detrimental to the team, I believe.

Roaming Gnome
01-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Just shows that they know he's this years scapegoat, nothing more. Tell me a coach in the last 20 years that the Indy fans didn't try and run out of town? Before the Superbowl people wanted Dungys head to.

Must.... defend... at... all... cost!

As for people wanting Dungy's head... no, not really! Just a loud misguided few. Not the general consensus that's seen enough of Jim not really improve this team, a system that isn't working for this team & an unwillingness to adapt or change the system to fit the players here, now!

Unclebuck
01-16-2011, 11:03 PM
It may help long term.

I believe whether fans boo or not either way it has 0% chance of influencing whether the coach is brought back next season. (And that is the way it should be)

Back to the Guest thing. When I go to a restaurant I believe I am a guest, same with any business that I frequent. I also figure if i don't behave reasonably I can be asked to leave. Whether I pay money to get in or not doesn't change that

McKeyFan
01-17-2011, 07:00 AM
I believe whether fans boo or not either way it has 0% chance of influencing whether the coach is brought back next season. (And that is the way it should be)
Perhaps that's the way it should be. But I think it's naive to think it doesn't make a difference.

grace
01-17-2011, 07:34 AM

It's influencing how they do introductions before the game. Not that it matters, but if I still went to games that would :censored: me off!

HOOPFANATIC
01-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Back to the Guest thing. When I go to a restaurant I believe I am a guest, same with any business that I frequent. I also figure if i don't behave reasonably I can be asked to leave. Whether I pay money to get in or not doesn't change that

I remember when we traded Stephen Jackson, Bird said we can't have our fans booing our players. We were at .500 at the time. I feel that it was the right move to make , from a business perspective. However, there is a far greater chance of return of investment in a player than a coach. The reason why most teams are quick to change coaches. I know I've never paid my money to see the coach coach. But if the team bought in say, Allen Iverson, or even Antoine Walker .. Well.......???

Mackey_Rose
01-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Is booing at an athletic event not behaving reasonably? It isn't church. It is a competitive sporting event. If it was a high school or little league game, sure. That would probably be inappropriate. But these are all grown men. I don't think it is a big deal.

I don't think it is unreasonable to voice displeasure with anyone involved, especially at the professional level.