PDA

View Full Version : Please remember: going to Indiana Pacers games is fun. REALLY FUN!!

Los Angeles
01-14-2011, 04:50 PM
A few of you know that I had a rare chance to come to Indy for a job over the last couple of weeks. Well, the job ended early, and that left me with the rare opportunity to make a mad dash to the pacers schedule and see if I would have a chance to see my beloved team. I was very disappointed to see that I was going to leave one day too early.

Well, that just wouldn't do.

So I begged and pleaded with my boss to allow me to stay one extra day. Just one more day to see friends and family and if I could work in the pacers, too, then the day would be perfect.

I could go into all kinds of detail of all the different people I called in the organization to make this happen. But I don't want to make it sound like it was hard. It wasn't. It was EASY.

The pacers staff, from the switchboard operator, to the guy in the Home Court retail space at Circle Center Mall, to the box office sales rep to the hostess of the Varsity Club were all EXCEEDINGLY nice and accommodating.

At first it was just going to be my sister's family and me. 4 total. But then a couple of co-workers heard about my plan. Did they ask who the Pacers were playing? Did they care about the team's record? HECK NO! :D They wanted to go to the game!

Well, over the course of 24 hours, the party expanded at least 3 times to eventually make it 10 people total. Every time I had to change the number, I called the Varsity Club and left a message. And every time I did so, the Varsity Club called me right back with confirmation and even suggestions on what the best experience might be for our large party. The same woman who called me back with the arrangements was ready and waiting for us at the host stand when we arrived. I gotta tell you, she bent over backwards to make sure that we were settled in and happy.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Let's talk about the experience of going to the game.

I've been to at least 10 of the NBA's arenas across the country. Let's talk about what the Pacers offer that might not be available at other NBA venues.

CENTRAL LOCATION - Conseco is right downtown, within walking distance of many hotels, restaurants, shopping and theaters. Going to a game is a great and convenient way to end a full day in the city.

INEXPENSIVE (and covered) PARKING - ever try to park at United Center? Staples? AA Arena in Dallas? What a mess. Conseco provides a garage right next door for a comparatively modest fee and even has a tunnel bridge that takes you right inside the arena so you can get inside nice and dry.

ACCESSIBILITY - going to arenas can feel like running on a gerbil wheel. Compared to the other arenas I've been to, it seems only a blind gerbil could get lost in Conseco.

One of my party of 10 is a Bulls fan from Chicago. Along with never stopping to tell me about how much better the Bulls were than the Pacers, he ALSO wouldn't stop talking about how great Conseco Fieldhouse was. You could tell that it pained him to say it. :)

Let's get to the bargain of it all.

BARGAINS - After making a reservation for 10 people for rail-side seating at the Varsity Club, I realized that I hadn't even bought any tickets yet. Well, did you know that ANY ticket will grant you access to the Varsity Club on the club level? And that's what we did. we bought the cheapest tickets in the house - $10 each - to get in the building. The Varsity Club took care of the rest.

They had a GREAT buffet. I can't name it all. spinach and strawberry salad, braised pork, the mac-and-cheese made even our most stringent food snob melt. and it was all you can eat for under $30. I mean, you can't get that anywhere in LA. My coworkers had been treated to a night at a fancy fish joint the night before (Ocean Aire) and they all declared that it was trumped by the buffet at Conseco. For half the cost. The staff was on top of it, brought our drinks right to us without us ever having to lift a finger. And everyone was really REALLY kind and helpful.

Oh, and the view from the railing seats at the Varsity Club were none-too-shabby:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5085/5351412660_63a09ea0a5_z.jpg

NOT BAD for $10 + the cost of food and gratuity!

:thumbup:

Well, that all brings us to the in-game experience.

The last game I saw in Conseco was in January, 2004. What a dramatically different experience between then and now. I loved the live drum line that replaced the crappy piped-in recorded music. I loved the interactions with the fans, and YES, I especially loved the increase in noise and excitement provided by AREA 55!!! Thank you, Roy Hibbert for adding this to the experience and thank you to all of the fans in Area 55 for keeping it up all game long!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This was my sister's family's first Pacers game. And MAN were they excited! They were dazzled by the entire experience and I've received about 10 different emails/texts/calls just thanking me for the chance to have this experience. Likewise, my co-workers, who have no connection to the Pacers whatsoever, told me about what a great idea it was for their last night in Indy and how much fun they had.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I must beg you to remember:

Going to Indiana Pacers games is fun. REALLY FUN!!

xBulletproof
01-14-2011, 04:51 PM
:hmm:

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 04:54 PM
You loaded the wrong pic LA haha.

I got the pleasure of meeting LA while he was in Indy and he truly is a fine fellow.

Also, the Varsity Club is and always has been great.

Trophy
01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I love going to the Fieldhouse and the games are fun. Especially with the young core we have.

Hopefully the Pacers start winning consistently and get back to the playoffs to make the Fieldhouse atmosphere more lively and packed like it used to be.

Enjoy the game LA.

xBulletproof
01-14-2011, 05:01 PM
:hmm:

Great, now I look like a crackhead since you have content in the OP now. :laugh:

BringJackBack
01-14-2011, 05:02 PM
So was this the Dallas game? If it was, I bet you were happy to see Paul play so well.

Los Angeles
01-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Great, now I look like a crackhead since you have content in the OP now. :laugh:

Don't fool yourself.

You always look like a crackhead. :-p

Basketball Fan
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
I agree it is fun been to a couple myself unfortunately despite the nice ticket prices parking is a ripoff and I usually go with a couple of other people unfortunately its hard to find other people to go with anymore.

xBulletproof
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Don't fool yourself.

You always look like a crackhead. :-p

Damn it. I was going for more of a dark alley spoon cooker.

:sadbanana

Since86
01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Booze isn't included in the Varsity Club package is it?

Me and some friends also went to the Dallas game, and I was a little miffed. Nothing big mind you. But if you buy a beer off of a vendor, either a walking one or a stand, you get a 16oz beer for $7.25. If you buy them at the Conseco stand, 20oz for $7. I know it's not that big of an difference, but when you're buying for two people.... Every 3rd beer would result in a 4th one free, kind of and if you're using 12oz standards, while spending a whole 75cents less!!

But yeah, I was wondering about the VC part with booze, because if you're going to bring a date that is definitely the cheapest way to go.

Los Angeles
01-14-2011, 05:14 PM
No, alcoholic beverages are not included in the buffet.

imawhat
01-14-2011, 06:56 PM
You back in LA? Clippers on MLK day?

Scot Pollard
01-14-2011, 07:10 PM
more wins = higher attendance

its pretty much guaranteed the case here in indy and the fieldhouse is such a nice arena

going to the fieldhouse to watch a winning pacers team thats playoff bound with a high attendance.....doesnt get much better than that!

so LA have you been to the staples center?

Scot Pollard
01-14-2011, 07:14 PM

this is working out quite well :laugh:

Los Angeles
01-14-2011, 10:37 PM

Let's do this.

Los Angeles
01-14-2011, 10:40 PM
more wins = higher attendance

its pretty much guaranteed the case here in indy and the fieldhouse is such a nice arena

going to the fieldhouse to watch a winning pacers team thats playoff bound with a high attendance.....doesnt get much better than that!

so LA have you been to the staples center?

Sure, we all like to win. But I have to tell you the sheer enjoyment of being there - win or lose - was well worth the price of admission. It's THAT idea that I'm trying to convey here. It's fun to go to Pacers games. I want to shout it far and wide to the whole city that's still sad from not having the colts to follow anymore.

IT'S FUN TO GO TO PACERS GAMES! :thumbup:

Edit: I've been to Staples many, many times. $20 parking WITH a long walk. $13 beers. They run full-length TV commercials and provide little to no live entertainment during the breaks. It's far more fun to see a game at Conseco, imho.

Naptown_Seth
01-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Glad you had such a good experience, but I gotta dispute this...

My coworkers had been treated to a night at a fancy fish joint the night before (Oceanaire)
You got Oceanaire and Mo's and then you've got all the rest...maybe keep St Elmos in there too.

Better than Ram, maybe.

CENTRAL LOCATION - Conseco is right downtown, within walking distance of many hotels, restaurants, shopping and my house.
Fixed. I knew there was something awesome about that arena.

I will say that some of the convenience, especially parking, is due to the low attendance. I mean it's not hard, the layout is nice, but getting in the garage back in the day, or for the upcoming Heat game (Lakers, Cavs last year) without a pass is a chore and sometimes doesn't happen. There was a time when garage space was very limited.

Also I think the place of choice for a lot of fans is starting to be Scotty's due to the location. Can't wait for the warm spring games when you can have a beer by the fire pit afterward. There will come a time when this team is great again and that place is going to rake in the cash.

BTW, LA, did you realize that the practice court windows are open to the public from ground floor on the Delaware St side? They can pull the shades down and often before games it's empty, but I've seen Reggie and Rik both in there before a big game, or Foster in the summer working out. That's a pretty cool aspect to me which I assume is somewhat unique to Conseco.