PDA

View Full Version : How good could this hypothetical 2011-2012 team be?

Hicks
01-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Now I realize this may not be a realistic vision, but humor me.

Imagine it's the start of the 2012 season, we have a new head coach, and imagine this is our roster:

Darren Collison
Paul George
Danny Granger
Tyler Hansbrough
Al Harrington
Roy Hibbert
Dahntay Jones
Nene
James Posey
AJ Price
Brandon Rush
Lance Stephenson
Plus 13th-15th men

DC/AJ at the point.
Rush/George at the SG
Granger/George at the SF
Nene/Hansbrough or Harrington at the PF
Hibbert/Nene at the C

How good could they be?

pacer4ever
01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
50 wins if healty. Also depends on the coach we get.

and if Paul progresses how i feel he will he will easliy surplant Rush in the starting lineup come opening day next year.

Unclebuck
01-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Al Harrington? can I assume that was simply a typo? Really? (actually I think there is a rule that you can only re-aquire a player once)

OK, I'll play along. 45 wins

xBulletproof
01-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd say Atlanta Hawks good. Somewhere in there.

I would love to avoid getting Al 'Black Hole' Harrington.

Hicks
01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Al would be the price of doing business.

BringJackBack
01-14-2011, 03:34 PM
If George is ready to take the next step into 15 ppg land or so, and Nene and Collison have good chemistry along with a good coach, we could win around 45 games.. I don't know though. A lot depends on Hibbert and if he is going to be good, or if he is going to suck.

If we picked up a better PF like Scola/West and landed a primarily PnR team with the ball in Collison's hand as well as reduced Danny's role while making George's larger, we could be in a much better position though. But that isn't as realistic so I'll take a step back.

Trophy
01-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm excited for next season.

The continue development of the young core guys and the fact that we'll probably have a new coach.

I see us having 46-48 wins and of course make the playoffs at a comfortable seed.

I'm enjoying this season a lot. We still have a very good chance at making the playoffs.

xBulletproof
01-14-2011, 03:35 PM

I understand. They'll try to package Al with Nene.

Regardless, I'd pass on it if that was the case. We worked too hard to avoid bad contracts to willingly eat one as soon as we have cap space.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Who we trade for Nene?

Trophy
01-14-2011, 03:38 PM

His contract is horrible, but I liked having him even the second time as a Pacer.

He's a decent player to have coming off the bench, but if it means getting a decent big man like Nene from Denver then I'd bring in Al.

BornReady#6
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
I like these better

DC/ Aj Price/ Nolan Smith
George/ Rush/ Shannon Brown
Danny/ Mike D/ Earl Clark
K.Love/ Tyler/ McBob
Roy/ Kanter/ Foster

or

DC/ AJ/ Smith
Rush/ Azuibuke/ Brown
Granger/ George/ Clark
Zbo/ Tyler/ Mcbob
Roy/ Kanter/ Jeff

or any combo of those players and maybe kemba walker, Donatas Motiejunas, or Jonas Valanciunas

BringJackBack
01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
I like these better

K.Love/ Tyler/ McBob
Roy/ Kanter/ Foster

or

DC/ AJ/ Smith
Rush/ Azuibuke/ Brown
Granger/ George/ Clark
Zbo/ Tyler/ Mcbob
Roy/ Kanter/ Jeff

or any combo of those players and maybe kemba walker, Donatas Motiejunas, or Jonas Valanciunas

Sorry to pull off an Antoine Dodson, but "OBVIOUSLY". :laugh: all in good jest.

If we had any of those two rosters by next season consider me the happiest person to ever exist in the world.

pacer4ever
01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
I like these better

K.Love/ Tyler/ McBob
Roy/ Kanter/ Foster

or

DC/ AJ/ Smith
Rush/ Azuibuke/ Brown
Granger/ George/ Clark
Zbo/ Tyler/ Mcbob
Roy/ Kanter/ Jeff

0% chance these happen

Dr. Awesome
01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Hicks, I think your Denver trade is interesting. Could be an interesting discussion.

Dr. Awesome
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Who we trade for Nene?

I'm assuming Dunleavy/Ford for Nene/Al

Maybe Foster instead of one of the other two?

BornReady#6
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Those are just what I would do, Enes Kanter is losing stock by the day, and Love or Zbo one or the other should be open, as well as Kelenna or shannon.

HeliumFear
01-14-2011, 04:00 PM
I don't like Nene at all. He doesn't rebound or defend all that well,and doesn't score well enough to make up for it.

Dr. Awesome
01-14-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't like Nene at all. He doesn't rebound or defend all that well,and doesn't score well enough to make up for it.

He's a very good defender, I don't know what your talking about. Thats what he is known for.

aaronb
01-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Now I realize this may not be a realistic vision, but humor me.

Imagine it's the start of the 2012 season, we have a new head coach, and imagine this is our roster:

Darren Collison
Paul George
Danny Granger
Tyler Hansbrough
Al Harrington
Roy Hibbert
Dahntay Jones
Nene
James Posey
AJ Price
Brandon Rush
Lance Stephenson
Plus 13th-15th men

DC/AJ at the point.
Rush/George at the SG
Granger/George at the SF
Nene/Hansbrough or Harrington at the PF
Hibbert/Nene at the C

How good could they be?

So adding Nene takes us from 30 wins to 50? Totally reasonable

BornReady#6
01-14-2011, 04:09 PM

I agree, you can get someone to do the same thing he will, for cheaper, and will miss way less games. Nene is getting old, and he is about to be way overpaid, and then his contract will be a headache/ trade commodity eventually.

HeliumFear
01-14-2011, 04:11 PM
He's a very good defender, I don't know what your talking about. Thats what he is known for.

Seriously? He looks decent as a post defender but I was never impressed with his help D. I guess I haven't seen too many Nuggets games,however.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 04:23 PM

We're only going to win 30 games this season?

ballism
01-14-2011, 04:27 PM
The answer depends on who's that new head coach. 42-45 wins, if the coach is good?

I don't like Nene/Hibbert combo much though. Who's going to defend pick and pop big men? Also, two big men without good range - unless Hibbert improves drastically - so no pick and pop from us. Below average rebounding from starting bigs.
I don't mind Nene, I like him more than Hibbert. But I think we should package Hibbert for a better fit at PF then, and start Nene at C.
Lets say, sign David West, then package Hibbert for Nene without taking back Harrington. Draft big man who can play C and likes to bang at the basket - like Valanciunas when it comes to euros, or whoever fits that description among US prospects.

DC/AJ at the point.
Rush/George at the SG
Granger/George at the SF
West/Hansbrough at the PF
Nene/Valanciunas or another rookie at the C

That should do it. Still don't like rebounding though. Sign ZBO instead of West and transplant Hansbrough personality into him?

aaronb
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
We're only going to win 30 games this season?

30-35

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Really?

So after starting 16-20, they're suddenly going to go 14-32?

You honestly believe that?

BringJackBack
01-14-2011, 04:31 PM
All Larry's fault. We're the idiots in denial.

pacer4ever
01-14-2011, 04:31 PM

and a new coach and other key moves.

Sookie
01-14-2011, 04:34 PM
New coach (who plays the right players) upgrade at PF and improved younger players...yea, I can see that being a 15 game improvement. Things have to go right (as in, younger guys don't take a step back, Nene is a good fit with Roy, the coach is actually decent) But I can see the possibility.

ballism
01-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Well, this year we should get 36-38 wins imo. I agree with the main point though, no way Nene gets us to 50. He's not an Amare. Would take unrealistic improvement from all the youngsters. Or a genius coach.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 04:36 PM
For the record I think that team could hit 46-48 wins.

Also for the record, I still think this year's team can hit 40-42.

ballism
01-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Sure, we can get to 40 or even 42. We have the talent and just need to play up to it most of the games. I just wouldn't bet anything big on it. There's always ups and downs. We would actually have to play well above .500 for the rest of the year.

beast23
01-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I understand. They'll try to package Al with Nene.

Regardless, I'd pass on it if that was the case. We worked too hard to avoid bad contracts to willingly eat one as soon as we have cap space.Al is on the hook for 4 more years totalling 27-28M after this season. His contract surely has to be among the worst in the NBA to get strapped with. And moving Al along in an additional trade would be a difficult thing to do considering his salary.

As for Nene, he might be the closest thing to Dale Davis in the NBA today. An absolute load anywhere near the basket but don't count on him to deliver outside of 10 feet. He does play above the rim and rebounds.

But I have to confess, as much as I loved Dale, I've never been excited at all about Nene.

I do think he would blend with Hibbert, but not as well as West would blend with both Hibbert and Collison.

I don't think Al adds much above what we already have. I do think Nene would improve us, maybe to 45 wins or so.

Nene has only one more year left on his contract. I certainly would not take him unless he signed on for more years. You sign up Nene at his current dollars, add Al, and we have basically signed Nene for 17-18M per season. That's way to steep for adding Nene. Pass.

aaronb
01-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Really?

So after starting 16-20, they're suddenly going to go 14-32?

You honestly believe that?

We were 6 games under last week. Tough schedule coming up. Still a ****ty roster. So yes I do believe we will win between 30-35 games.

jeffg-body
01-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I think we'd be looking at the mid 40's win wise.

Hicks
01-15-2011, 01:31 AM

What? Why did you quote me and then say this?

D-BONE
01-15-2011, 09:42 AM
The answer depends on who's that new head coach. 42-45 wins, if the coach is good?

I don't like Nene/Hibbert combo much though. Who's going to defend pick and pop big men? Also, two big men without good range - unless Hibbert improves drastically - so no pick and pop from us. Below average rebounding from starting bigs.
I don't mind Nene, I like him more than Hibbert. But I think we should package Hibbert for a better fit at PF then, and start Nene at C.
Lets say, sign David West, then package Hibbert for Nene without taking back Harrington. Draft big man who can play C and likes to bang at the basket - like Valanciunas when it comes to euros, or whoever fits that description among US prospects.

DC/AJ at the point.
Rush/George at the SG
Granger/George at the SF
West/Hansbrough at the PF
Nene/Valanciunas or another rookie at the C

That should do it. Still don't like rebounding though. Sign ZBO instead of West and transplant Hansbrough personality into him?

The question about how RH and Nene complement one another is legit. Maybe if RH becomes an above average mid-range shooter it works. Or maybe he continues to regress and you just play him at back-up C. Or move him as you suggest.

Kind of cringe at having Al back, especially at his cost. As to the OP question, I'd say mid-40s wins pending coaching change and any other moves. IMO still lacks the impact - type player needed to pair with Granger to allow the team to leap a higher level than that. Unless George really breaks out or someone else for that matter.