PDA

View Full Version : Can Tyler Hansbrough produce at the same level as K.Love?

BornReady#6
01-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Plain and simple do you think he has the potential to produce the same numbers that Love posts, I guess take away the three pointers though. And we are not talking about coach/ team or situation, we are talking purely talent wise, is he capable of doing that?

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 12:46 PM
No.

Sookie
01-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Tyler will be a fantastic energy PF off the bench. Which is the perfect role for him, because he can be the primary bench scorer (which he shouldn't be in the starting lineup) and add energy.

IUfan4life
01-14-2011, 12:56 PM
absolutely not.

Whoever votes yes, you have to be a UNCl homer or a big time Pacers homer

Mackey_Rose
01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Kevin Love has a very legitimate chance to average 20 and 15 this season.

Absolutely not is right. Plus everything else IUfan4life said.

pacer4ever
01-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Hell to the NO

Since86
01-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Last I heard Love was beating everyone in rebounding by a full 2 rebounds. That's crazy considering how great some guys are at that, like Dwight Howard...

KLove is starting the foundation for a HoF career.

Mackey_Rose
01-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Seriously folks, think about this: Kevin Love is averaging 21.5 points and 15.7 rebounds per game.

When is the last time anybody did that? Wilt? Russell? I don't even know, but it hasn't happened in a very long time. Sure, the Timberwolves suck, but those are historic numbers he is putting up.

It isn't even fair to Hansbrough or Love to compare the two.

Infinite MAN_force
01-14-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm really coming around on Hansbrough, I feel pretty positive about him, maybe even as a starter. But he isn't on Kevin Love's level, lets get real here.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Seriously folks, think about this: Kevin Love is averaging 21.5 points and 15.7 rebounds per game.

When is the last time anybody did that? Wilt? Russell? I don't even know, but it hasn't happened in a very long time. Sure, the Timberwolves suck, but those are historic numbers he is putting up.

It isn't even fair to Hansbrough or Love to compare the two.

KG was probably the last one to compare the years he was a MVP candidate in Minny.

xBulletproof
01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Seriously?

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Next thing you know we'll see a thread on here about whether or not Brandon Rush is a good 3 point shooter...

Oh wait....

Mackey_Rose
01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
KG was probably the last one to compare the years he was a MVP candidate in Minny.

He got close, but he never averaged 14 rebounds per game for a full season. The best season he had, he got 24.2 and 13.9. Those are remarkable numbers, but 20 and 15 for a season would truly be ridiculous.

As far as I can tell, it was Wilt who was the last to do it. Of course he did it 11 times, and even averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds for a season in 1961-1962.

For the modern era, the numbers that Love is producing are unprecedented.

xBulletproof
01-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Let's not forget Love is shooting 45% from 3 point range as well. Not some sissy 3 out of 7 on the year shooting either. He's made 59/130.

He's like a legit rebounding version of Troy Murphy, except instead of being horrendous as a defender, he's below average.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I knew there was someone you would be forgetting between Love and Wilt...Moses Malone.

Mackey_Rose
01-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I knew there was someone you would be forgetting between Love and Wilt...Moses Malone.

You're right. He did do it once in 1982-1983.

Can anybody think of anyone else? It is very possible that there were more.

pacer4ever
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
You're right. He did do it once in 1982-1983.

Can anybody think of anyone else? It is very possible that there were more.

No one eles, Malone was the last one to do it b4 Love

Shade
01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
:lol:

SMosley21
01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm a big Tyler fan and all, but to even ask this question just wreaks of homerness. Tyler Hansbrough, on his best day does what Kevin Love does on an average day.

Mackey_Rose
01-14-2011, 02:52 PM
No one eles, Malone was the last one to do it b4 Love

Wilt, Moses, Love, Hansbrough

Which one doesn't fit?

Hicks
01-14-2011, 02:59 PM

Which one doesn't fit?

Wilt.

BringJackBack
01-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Kevin Love can eventually average something like 20-25 and 20.. It's not even close at all.

Especially since Love is only 22 to Hansbrough's 25. This really, really shouldn't be in discussion.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Which one doesn't fit?

Moses.

He didn't go to college.

Trophy
01-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Definitely not as high as Love's stats, but I think Tyler will average at least 14 points and maybe 8-9 rebounds a game.

Also he'll become a much better NBA defender and play above his size as we've seen a few times already.

Unclebuck
01-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Tyler will be a fantastic energy PF off the bench. Which is the perfect role for him, because he can be the primary bench scorer (which he shouldn't be in the starting lineup) and add energy.

so you don't think Tyler and Darren work well together.

HeliumFear
01-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Nope. Not even if Tyler were on a team full of people who couldn't rebound,like Love.

Justin Tyme
01-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Wilt was something to behold to watch play. Not only was Wilt big, but he was a tremendous athletic and agile athlete. A TERRIBLE TERRIBLE FT SHOOTER. I remember when he even tried shooting them underhanded Rick Barry style. I'd hate think how many more points he would have scored in his career if he had been able to shoot FT at a 77-78%.

I'd have loved to watch him and Shaq battle each other in their primes.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I didn't know UB had a man-crush on Tyler.

Sookie
01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
so you don't think Tyler and Darren work well together.

I think they do. But I think the better role for him is off the bench. And I also think a lot of the younger players on the team play well together (I actually think Dun fits in with them too).

I'd like to get an upgrade at the PF position, just because I think we can find someone better than Tyler. And I think Ideally, Tyler playing off the bench would be best. Because he should be the offensive focus when he's in the game, as that's what he's best at..but you can't have him be the offensive focus in the starting lineup, he's not good enough for that.

I'd like to get a starting quality PF, have Tyler back him up, and then Have Josh back Roy up. Josh and Tyler actually play very well together.

BRushWithDeath
01-14-2011, 04:50 PM
I didn't know UB had a man-crush on Tyler.

I wish more people would skip the green font for obvious sarcasm. Well played.

BlueNGold
01-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Tyler Hansbrough, on his best day does what Kevin Love does on an average day.

I like Tyler a lot (obviously), but what you say is just about perfect.

Love's worst game of 2011 was probably against the Celtics...and he still grabbed 24 boards and scored in double figures. He's amazing. He is a tremendous perimeter shooter. The Pacers have never had a player as good as Kevin Love is right now...and Tyler's nowhere near the best Pacer.

No question Love is better right now than Jermaine O'Neal ever dreamed of being.

Ok, maybe that is a stretch. Jermaine did think very highly of himself....;<)

Isaac
01-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Haha, seriously UB?

Kstat
01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Why are these two even being compared? Let's set the bar a tad lower....

it's like comparing Darren Collison to Chris Paul.

vnzla81
01-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Or comparing Danny to Ben Gordon ....

Kstat
01-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Danny Granger is not Kevin Love.

BringJackBack
01-14-2011, 08:15 PM

Ouch. Its more like comparing Ben Gordon to Danny Granger.

Kstat
01-14-2011, 08:17 PM
neither the pacers nor the Pistons have a "no business being compared to me" guy on their team. Nice try, though.

BlueNGold
01-14-2011, 11:17 PM
As one poster mentioned, Love is 22. He's better than all of our players by some distance and younger than almost all of them. What is he? 6 months older than Paul George?

I would trade Granger and Hans for him without blinking an eye. If we had a decent backup C, I'd throw in Hibbert too.

pacer4ever
01-14-2011, 11:25 PM
As one poster mentioned, Love is 22. He's better than all of our players by some distance and younger than almost all of them. What is he? 6 months older than Paul George?

I would trade Granger and Hans for him without blinking an eye. If we had a decent backup C, I'd throw in Hibbert too.

paul and lance are both near 2 yrs younger

BlueNGold
01-15-2011, 04:32 PM
paul and lance are both near 2 yrs younger

Ok, that's correct. Yes, Paul is the one relevant player who is younger than Kevin Love...and it's by 1 year and 8 months.

The TWolves are a bad team, but I might add that Beasley is just 8 months older than Paul. I guess the point is, Tyler is an old man compared to many, many better PF's around the league. The fact I cannot say Tyler is better than Beasley shows just how far short he falls from being compared to Kevin Love.

Naptown_Seth
01-15-2011, 04:37 PM
These two players have never been close to comparable...well at least since Love was headed into his freshman year at UCLA.

The skill sets, the awareness, the instincts on the court just aren't equal. Tyler is a great NCAA caliber player and always was. Love sees and plays the game at a different level which gives him success beyond his physical stats.

AesopRockOn
01-15-2011, 05:19 PM
If things work out well, Tyler could be our version of Glen Davis. Borderline starter, though if everyone is healthy, first big off the bench. Hard worker with strong under-the-rim rebounding skills. Incredibly reliable 15-18 ft jumper from baselines and elbows. Average-solid defender. Capable on the pick and roll but mostly as a jump-shooter.

As everyone else has said, comparing him to K Love is goofy and unproductive. Though there are 13 people who have voted 'no,' perhaps jokingly...

spreedom
01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Wilt was something to behold to watch play. Not only was Wilt big, but he was a tremendous athletic and agile athlete. A TERRIBLE TERRIBLE FT SHOOTER. I remember when he even tried shooting them underhanded Rick Barry style. I'd hate think how many more points he would have scored in his career if he had been able to shoot FT at a 77-78%.

I'd have loved to watch him and Shaq battle each other in their primes.

Modern rules, Shaq would eat Wilt alive, especially when Wilt picks up #5 and stops trying to guard him. And when half of Wilt's points are erased due to basket interference. And then Shaq also starts blocking him, and suddenly Wilt's been outscored 38-20.

BlueNGold
01-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Modern rules, Shaq would eat Wilt alive, especially when Wilt picks up #5 and stops trying to guard him. And when half of Wilt's points are erased due to basket interference. And then Shaq also starts blocking him, and suddenly Wilt's been outscored 38-20.

You sir, never watched Wilt Chamberlain.

Imagine a taller version of Dwight Howard with Carlos Boozer's offensive skills. Shaq in his prime was more physical, but not even close to the same skill level. Also, considering Duncan came close to being able to matchup with Shaq, I'm pretty confident that Wilt...a much bigger and stronger guy...would do fine against Shaq. It really would be an epic battle.

King Phoenix
01-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Pipe Dream Alert! What if we had both? Boy, that would be great almost too good to be true actually how would u be able to get both.

xIndyFan
01-15-2011, 07:07 PM

:citizenkane:

spazzxb
01-15-2011, 07:20 PM
absolutely not.

Whoever votes yes, you have to be a UNCl homer or a big time Pacers homer

The thing is the majority of people have seen Love play about 1 game this season so aside from obvious statistical comparisons its easy to overlook Loves accomplishments.

spreedom
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM

Imagine a taller version of Dwight Howard with Carlos Boozer's offensive skills. Shaq in his prime was more physical, but not even close to the same skill level. Also, considering Duncan came close to being able to matchup with Shaq, I'm pretty confident that Wilt...a much bigger and stronger guy...would do fine against Shaq. It really would be an epic battle.

Have you? Based on every single written opinion of him by his peers, Wilt is extremely overrated and one of the worst teammates ever... read Simmons' Book of Basketball for details. Completely selfish (albeit physically gifted) player who was obsessed with getting his and a complete loser until after Russell retired. Shaq is the most physically dominant center of all-time. Easy call for me.

If you list the 10-15 best modern (1980-present) centers ever, I have an easy time imagining any of them putting up the exact same scoring/rebounding numbers... except likely with more titles.

rock747
01-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh wow, Tyler can easily. He is Karl Malone reincarnated. If only O'brien would give him the chance! He was the 2008 ACC player of the year for goodness sakes!

BlueNGold
01-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Have you? Based on every single written opinion of him by his peers, Wilt is extremely overrated and one of the worst teammates ever... read Simmons' Book of Basketball for details. Completely selfish (albeit physically gifted) player who was obsessed with getting his and a complete loser until after Russell retired. Shaq is the most physically dominant center of all-time. Easy call for me.

If you list the 10-15 best modern (1980-present) centers ever, I have an easy time imagining any of them putting up the exact same scoring/rebounding numbers... except likely with more titles.

Yes I have. I'm over 20 years older than you son.

BTW, I've seen all of these "best modern centers" too and I would rank Wilt at the top in terms of pure offensive talent and God given athleticism. Again, think bigger Dwight Howard with great offensive skills. He was much, much better than Dwight Howard will ever be. He might be better compared to the Lebron James version of a center in all respects. Athleticism, arrogance, talent, etc. On the offensive end, he had everything.

I would rank Shaq as the biggest, heaviest, most powerful center. Yes, there was a period of time where he presented major problems for defenses across the league simply because of his size...but he's not close to as talented as the Kareems, Wilts and Hakeems.

Anyway, leaving Russell out, here are my rankings:

Tier 1: Wilt - Kareem
Tier 2: Hakeem - Shaq

BlueNGold
01-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Wow. We start with Tyler and go all the way to Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

spreedom
01-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Well we can just agree to disagree then.

ballism
01-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Tier 1: Wilt - Kareem
Tier 2: Hakeem - Shaq

Ohh come on, Hakeem isn't even tier 1? He's a bit of a late bloomer in terms of reaching full potential, but come on!

LA_Confidential
01-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Kevin Love is good, really good but does anybody else think its possible that his numbers are a little blaoted. The Wolves are crap and he is like the only competent big man on that roster. C'mon, I mean Darko, Pekovic, really? I think he'd be a great addition to a better team but his numbers are not what I'd expect to continue seeing if he were on another team.

I think Tyler can be a 15/9 guy with tough, tough, physical D but 21/15? Im surprised to see Love doing that.

BTW: Prime Shaq, hands down the single most dominant player to ever touch a basketball. Prime Shaq would completely dominate ANY center in Any era.

ilive4sports
01-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Yes K Loves numbers are a bit bloated. But when the guy puts up multiple 20/20 games and a 30/30 game, he is legit, no matter where he plays. And Tyler will never be at that level. I love the hustle he plays with, but I never see him putting up those HOF type of numbers.

And please, please stop underrating Shaq so much. People seem to forget just how good he was in his prime because it's been awhile since he was in it. Yes, his main threat was just out muscling the defender. But he had some lightning quick post moves and even watching him now you can still see some of that. To me, Shaq is the most dominant center of all time and there is nothing anyone can say to change my mind. And yes I have seen the other greats play.

LucasRL13
01-18-2011, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYsQHjuxWM&feature=related

Simply the best

BornReady#6
01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYsQHjuxWM&feature=related

Simply the best

thats my fav youtube video.