PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte considering a fire sale / Gerald Wallace

ballism
01-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Thought this was interesting as they are one of our key opponents for 7-8 spots. If they give away Wallace, good for us.

Also, if they are really considering giving him away for nothing just to cut costs, why wouldn't we be interested? 10-11 mil a year for a good wing defender next to Granger. Considering the FA class, seems like a great pickup.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmR518r2BhbHt4f_4otZbE28vLYF?slug=aw-wallacebobcats011411

The Charlotte Bobcats have discussed a trade to send forward Gerald Wallace(notes) to the Cleveland Cavaliers, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

The Cavaliers would use their trade exception to acquire Wallace, but have also pushed for a lottery-protected first-round pick for them to take on the two years and $22 million left on Wallace’s contract through the 2012-13 season, the source said.

The Bobcats have been shopping Wallace for several weeks and discussed packaging him in deals to several teams. Charlotte has struggled to a 15-21 record, and replaced Larry Brown with interim coach Paul Silas last month. Facing significant financial losses this season, Bobcats owner Michael Jordan has targeted his highest-paid player as a way to trim payroll.

pwee31
01-14-2011, 08:48 AM
For one he's always injured, secondly Charlotte started played better while he was out so perhaps you take that chance and cut some losses if you feel you're not going any further with him regardless

xBulletproof
01-14-2011, 08:49 AM
As much as I love Wallace, I wouldn't like it because he'd be another body between Paul George and court time.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't do it, but something would have to give somewhere.

ballism
01-14-2011, 09:20 AM
As much as I love Wallace, I wouldn't like it because he'd be another body between Paul George and court time.

Well, it would take either Dunleavy or TJ to get the deal done. So quite possibly Paul's minutes aren't getting hurt.
Personally, I'm very happy with Paul George getting 18-20 minutes a game like he does lately. I don't think we should throw starter minutes his way yet. Depending on matchups and smallball, it could be ~30-33 minutes for Danny and Wallace, 18-20 for Brandon and Paul.
If Paul or Rush are ready to be a playoff caliber starters in a year, Wallace would be heading into his final year and should be very tradable.
It's a 2.5 year rental at very decent price.

And we could still have money to make a run at David West this summer, depending on new CBA.

DaveP63
01-14-2011, 09:29 AM

^^^This^^^

01-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Risky.

Is the risk worth the reward? Stay tuned.

vnzla81
01-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Paul has a chance to be better.

MyFavMartin
01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I'd like to see New Jersey to tell Denver to shut up about Melo and pick up Wallace.

Wallace is a player that I like. Lots of energy and drives the lane a bunch and tends to be more of a shot creator, but he is injury prone and a bit of a chucker.

pacergod2
01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Cleveland's trade exception is much more attractive than any of our expiring contracts to Charlotte. They are paying guys like Desagana Diop stupid money.

pathil275
01-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Well, the Bobcats have to be really desperate to trade away their franchise player for a trade exception. Let alone to trade him AND a 1st round pick for a trade exception.

At the same time, I don't see the Pacers making a push for him because he duplicates what we already have in Granger and (sooner or later hopefully) in George.

ballism
01-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Cleveland's trade exception is much more attractive than any of our expiring contracts to Charlotte. They are paying guys like Desagana Diop stupid money.

Indeed. However, according to the story, Cleveland is actually asking a 1st pick in addition to Wallace. It seems crazy to me, you get last year's All Star for free and you want a first rounder too? Yes, he's been injured, he's having a rough year, and his style of play means he'll miss some games every year. But he's not dead. He hasn't turned into a T-Mac. He's good guy off the court afaik. And it's not like he's getting max money on a long deal that can kill your franchise for many years.
It sure shows the value of money in small markets.

Speed
01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Gerald Wallace is more PF now, imo. I don't see him impacting the wing rotaton at all.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Don't understand the Gerald Wallace hype to be honest.

Justin Tyme
01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Gerald Wallace is more PF now, imo. I don't see him impacting the wing rotaton at all.

WHAT? He played PF years ago when he got injured. After that injury he said he didn't want to play PF anymore. He wants to play SF. Diaw and Thomas play PF for the Kittycats.

If the Pacers got him, he'd definately impact the wing position by taking playing and development time from Paul George. Wallace is a good player, but unless Bird is going to make Danny into a 20-25 minute PF, trade Granger, or use Wallace in future trade then the Pacers don't need Wallace. If Bird could flip Wallace into a player of a position of real need, it might be a prudent move getting Wallace. Could Wallace still be traded again b4 the trade deadline?

If MJ is looking to control losing money, the Cleveland TE sounds the best deal, but I certainly wouldn't give up a 1st for it on top of Wallace. It will be interesting to see how MJ the owner plays this scenario out. Hopefully, better than MJ the GM. Does the trading of Wallace for salary savings offset the making of the playoffs?

BornReady#6
01-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Don't understand the Gerald Wallace hype to be honest.

Exactly, maybe 5 years ago he would be worth it, now he is just like the rest of the older wing players, one foot already out the door.

pacergod2
01-14-2011, 01:30 PM
In all likelihood the story is probably off base. The Bobcats are probably asking for the first round pick for him. The Cavs are probably asking for a first rounder so they can negotiate out of giving up their first somehow. Maybe an option to swap firsts for the Bobcats. I don't think the deal on the table that the Bobcats would consider would not include a first rounder from Cleveland. Gerald Wallace is too good to give up for essentially nothing, let alone give up a first to do so. If they were to do that, Desagana Diop's deal would be part of that package somehow. Probably in two separate deals, the Bobcats would trade Wallace and Najera to Cleveland for their trade exception. In a separate deal the Bobcats would send Diop and their first for Moon's and Parker's expiring contracts and possibly Cleveland's second rounder. This would be a huge savings for Charlotte and it might be worth considering it for their first rounder. This deal would save Charlotte $46M, with $14M coming off the books immediately. This would make Cleveland more competitive immediately. They would then probably look to add a SG, which will be plentiful on the open market. I could see them take a chance on Michael Redd this off-season.

Williams
Insert numerous SG's here
Wallace
Jamison/Hickson
Verajao

The Bobcats would save $46M. I don't think I need to add anything here. This moves Gerald Henderson/Derrick Brown into the SF rotation mroe heavily. They need to get younger as it is. Stephen Jackson could be swapped into this deal instead of Diop and the pick. Hickson would be attractive to Charlotte I would assume as well. I think Charlotte needs to keep their picks with the direction they are heading.

Augustin
Jackson/Henderson
Brown
Diaw/Thomas
Diop

CableKC
01-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Outside of Wallace ( and possibly Gerald Henderson ), my guess as for the Player that the Pacers would target on the Bobcats and realistically could get is Diaw ( I'm guessing that Tyrus Thomas would carry a premium price to acquire ). He's a versatile and athletic ( but undersized ) PF, is a solid passer and ( most of all ) has range when it comes to scoring.

I'd guess that if the Bobcats were considering a Firesale, that he could be had for an Expiring and a 2nd round pick.