PDA

View Full Version : Darren Collison has been outstanding the last 6 games

Foul on Smits
01-14-2011, 04:06 AM
I hope I dont jinx anything, but the last 6 games Collison has been fantastic.

PPG- 17
Ast- 6.5
Reb- 3.3
Stl- 1.6
TO's - 1.8
FG%- 48%

That's all star numbers. Possibly Eastern Conference Player of the Month canidate if he can keep it up.

I love it. This guy has a look to him. He looks like he could be a great leader. And the ability is starting to show. He's starting to get it. And maybe JOB is starting to get it too. He's playing the crucial minutes in the 4th quarter.

If he plays like this the rest of the season, Indiana might be able to fight there way into a 5th seed. And if he can manage to outplay Derrick Rose tonight, maybe the Pacers can get back into this Central division race.

Darren Collison's play of late is giving me some serious hope.

Dr. Awesome
01-14-2011, 04:19 AM
Thats not anywhere close to All-Star level stats, much less Eastern Conference Player of the Month stats.

Day-V
01-14-2011, 04:20 AM
Thats not anywhere close to All-Star level stats, much less Eastern Conference Player of the Month stats.

Agreed.

Still think he's done a helluva job though. Hope he continues that tonight!

Foul on Smits
01-14-2011, 04:40 AM

Raymond Felton is considered a potential all star and he averages 18.3ppg, 8.9 assist, 3.9 reb, 1.8 stl, 3.3 TO's and 44%FG.

Again, i'm just talking about the last 6 games. I'm not saying Collison is going to make the all star team. I'm just trying to say, he's been playing at all star level the last 6 games and i hope he keeps this up. I think he can.

ballism
01-14-2011, 04:54 AM
People still remember Darren's 20-10 stretch during his rookie year. So they are going to be underwhelmed by 17-6, no way around it. It's nice that he has decent stats lately and doesn't turn the ball over much, but most of us expected him to be part of our 'big three', not a new Jose Calderon.
Maybe next year, if we have a new system and some great pnr/pnp players, there will be more enthusiasm :)

righteouscool
01-14-2011, 07:45 AM
To me, he is a bizarro TJ Ford. Darren hardly makes bad decisions and his turnovers are usually stupid things like dribbling off his knee or losing control of the ball. He's great with the ball in his hands and I wish JOB would let him play like that more often.

D-BONE
01-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Yeah...maybe not AS #s, but I hope he keeps it up whatever the case.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Let's put it this way, those are pretty damn good numbers for a point guard in his second year in the NBA drafted in the latter half of the first round who is playing in an offense that is downright insane for PGs to succeed in.

Unclebuck
01-14-2011, 09:47 AM
There are some interesting quotes here

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110114/SPORTS04/101140348/1062/SPORTS04/Pacers-Collison-gets-into-groove

By Mike Wells
Pacers' Collison gets into a groove
O'Brien changes offense to take advantage of point guard's strength

Jan 14, 2011

Indiana Pacers point guard Darren Collison spent the first part of this season learning how to be the driving force in a playing style that was foreign to him.

His instructor, coach Jim O'Brien, constantly harped on Collison, trying to get his message across. And now?

"Coach has put the keys in my hands and let me go," Collison said. "And now I'm playing my game more."

O'Brien finally gave in and slightly tinkered with his style to suit Collison's game.

The Pacers, winners of two straight going into tonight's game against the Chicago Bulls at Conseco Fieldhouse, are running more pick-and-rolls for Collison.

In return, Collison is starting to play the type of basketball the Pacers expected when they acquired him in a trade last August.

The second-year point guard has totaled 38 points, 17 assists, six steals and three turnovers and has shot 58 percent in two games this week.

The numbers came against Philadelphia's Jrue Holiday, Collison's former UCLA teammate, and Dallas' Jason Kidd, one of the NBA's all-time best point guards.

"Not turning the ball over is a direct result of playing a small lineup," O'Brien said.

"I think when you play a big lineup (the defense collapses). All your passes are in traffic. I think he's shooting with great confidence. He knows he has the green light."

Collison made no secret that he was having difficulty with O'Brien's passing-game offense. It requires the point guard to pass the ball early in the possession.

Collison was accustomed to having the ball in his hands and running a pick-and-roll offense. That's the style he played in college and with New Orleans last season.

It allowed him several options. He can turn the corner and go in for a layup, pull up for a jump shot, pass to the screener rolling to the basket or pass to one of his teammates on the perimeter.

"Pick-and-rolls have always been my game," Collison said.

"I'm a one-on-one player only for so long. When we run pick-and-rolls, I get everybody involved, myself, too. The more pick-and-rolls we got, the better off we're going to be, I think."

The Pacers have been able to use more pick-and-rolls with Tyler Hansbrough moving into the starting lineup.

Unlike Josh McRoberts or Jeff Foster, Hansbrough can consistently hit 15-foot jump shots.

"That's something we've been working on," Hansbrough said. "It's something I've developed since I've been here. Darren is so good at coming off the pick. He takes on the 'big' and it's tough for them to recover back to me. This can be a dangerous part of our offense."

Collison finds himself with even better lanes to the basket when O'Brien goes to a smaller lineup with Danny Granger playing power forward. That gives the Pacers three shooters on the perimeter along with Roy Hibbert at center.

"In both Danny's case and Darren's case, when you have 3-point shooters around all of them, then I think their productivity is going to increase," O'Brien said.

"In the period of time we've been running the small lineup, we've gotten very, very fine productivity out of that lineup."

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

owl
01-14-2011, 10:03 AM
People have been trying to say playing the young guys is the main reason why the Pacers are playing better the past 3 games. The real reason is what you really saw in the
past 2 and that is a complete(almost) change in how the offense is run. Turning Collison
loose is why the Pacers are better. The motion offense tends toward more turnovers which lead to easy buckets for the opposing team. With the ball in Collison's hands they will have
much less turnovers and thus less points for the opponents and more for the Pacers.
Turnovers have been a huge problem. Collison running the show more is the answer to a lot of the Pacers ills.
++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Coach has put the keys in my hands and let me go," Collison said. "And now I'm playing my game more."

O'Brien finally gave in and slightly tinkered with his style to suit Collison's game.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Even coach O'Stubborn can be taught.

MagicRat
01-14-2011, 10:17 AM
If JOB finally has his mind right regarding point guard play, I say it's time to bring back Jamaal!:bgroovy:

Who's with me!?!!!?!!!?!?!!!!!

BillS
01-14-2011, 11:01 AM
If JOB finally has his mind right regarding point guard play, I say it's time to bring back Jamaal!:bgroovy:

Who's with me!?!!!?!!!?!?!!!!!

:suicide:

MyFavMartin
01-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Keep up the good, aggressive style of play Darren! Love it.

naptownmenace
01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
That article is the most encouraging thing I've read all season. Jim has given us some major coach speak regarding Collison and the P-n-R plays in the past. I don't think he really believed in playing that way, though.

The fact that Collison feels comfortable talking about running the PNR more and it being a more effective style of play for the team leads me to believe this time that O'Brien has changed his offense and isn't just blowing smoke. That's great news for the Pacers. Darren really has the ability to break down the defense and Danny's assists have really gone up the last few games as a result of this change too.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Darren can do against DRose who is a killer on offense but can be exploited on the defensive end.

BillS
01-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Or maybe it means that the other players who would need to be involved in more PnR are getting more comfortable with it so Jim feels better about letting it happen more on the floor? After all, we were already running more PnR than we were in the past, and we've commented how badly suited some of our other players are to PnR play.

Unclebuck
01-14-2011, 11:47 AM
I wonder why we don't ever run pick and rolls with Collison and Granger. I realize it often isn't done with a small forward and a point guard because it might be too easy to switch and the floor likely won't be spread if there are two guys bigger than Granger on the floor at the time. But I think Granger should be good as the picker and roller.

imawhat
01-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Granger has never been the big in a pick and roll; not even once since Jim has been our coach.

I've been wondering the same thing as he's easily our best weapon. Granger rarely gets pop shots, which he's deadly at. And he's good at finishing after contact. Makes perfect sense to use him as the big in pick and roll.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Well, I mean seeing as you have to be capable of setting a good pick to begin a pick n' roll I would imagine that is probably why we don't see Danny involved that often.

Day-V
01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Well, I mean seeing as you have to be capable of setting a good pick to begin a pick n' roll I would imagine that is probably why we don't see Danny involved that often.

I loved the Pick-and-pop's Darren and Tyler ran against the Spurs. Each one was a thing of beauty.

Gamble1
01-14-2011, 01:33 PM
So 36 games into the season O'Brien finally uses Collison the way he should be used. I don't know whether to be mad or happy.

Atleast now I will like watching the games more.

Mackey_Rose
01-14-2011, 01:40 PM
So 36 games into the season O'Brien finally uses Collison the way he should be used. I don't know whether to be mad or happy.

Atleast now I will like watching the games more.

It really is hard not to think, "Gee Jim, what the hell took so long?"

Sookie
01-14-2011, 01:43 PM
He's been pretty good.

The Philly game, he played his game, and it showed. But I thought his best game was against the Knicks.

Honestly, I judge point guards on how well they run the offense they are supposed to be running and how well they judge what their team needs. Stats be damned. I always thought Collison had Ford beat in both. And I personally thought Collison played as well as any Pacer has this season against the Knicks.

xBulletproof
01-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Have you seen the picks Tyler has been setting?

Sometimes he bails to setup for the jumper before even touching the defender. However the speed of Collison is such a threat that it still works.

BillS
01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Have you seen the picks Tyler has been setting?

Sometimes he bails to setup for the jumper before even touching the defender. However the speed of Collison is such a threat that it still works.

That COULD be a habit that would explain why he hasn't gotten playing time before.

I maintain, however, that he is one of the few on the team who know where to go and what angle to take to make his picks effective. Bailing early is bad execution of the PnR, it isn't being bad at setting a pick.

Trader Joe
01-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Tyler is still a wider body than Danny as well.

90'sNBARocked
01-14-2011, 03:40 PM
That COULD be a habit that would explain why he hasn't gotten playing time before.

I maintain, however, that he is one of the few on the team who know where to go and what angle to take to make his picks effective. Bailing early is bad execution of the PnR, it isn't being bad at setting a pick.

Spot on!

4 years under Roy Williams should make one very fundamentally sound

This is the slight difference I think between Josh and Tyler

Tyler= 4 years experience under a great disciplined coach
Josh= 1 year under coach K

Unclebuck
01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
But wasn't it Tyler who according to Jim was not able to run a pick and roll at all last season almost like it was a a foreign language. I remember the quote and Jim said he bnever ran pick and rolls in college and he will learn it over time.

Anyone else remember this

Sookie
01-14-2011, 03:50 PM
But wasn't it Tyler who according to Jim was not able to run a pick and roll at all last season almost like it was a a foreign language. I remember the quote and Jim said he bnever ran pick and rolls in college and he will learn it over time.

Yea, I remember this too.

But it's been effective with Collison (regardless of whether he's setting good picks or not. And Tyler is the best person to play the PnR with Collison. He has a wide body, he's strong, and he can make the midrange jumper.

BillS
01-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Could that have been part of the reason it took so long for him to see the floor this year? Seems logical it would be something they'd work on with him since DC is around.

Trophy
01-14-2011, 04:22 PM
This is the Darren Collison we all expected.

It's good to actually have a solid PG who can guide the offense and is young.

Sobotka
01-14-2011, 04:38 PM

I remember him saying that Tyler had never run a pick and roll before.

Gamble1
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM

I have a hard time believing that the PnR is that hard to learn that it kept Tyler on the bench. The lack of confidence that Jim displays in his player is why I think Tyler sat on the bench and why Collison wasn't given a heavy dose of the PnR that would have utilized his skill set early in the season.

Whats crazy to me is that PD had a debate about how to utilize Collison in the off season and many of us agreed that much of his success in NO was a result of the system. A system that put a heavy focus on the PnR. Some of use also doubted that Jim would alter his system to suit his players skill set. It only took 36 games for Jim to get that Collison was much better utilized with more PnR in the playbook. Suprised.... I am not.

I find it disappointing when I see fans call it in PD meetings and see it all play out during the season. I really find that confirmation that Jim doesn't know what he his doing or that he his too proud to change his own philosophy to suit the team.

presto123
01-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Love Collison's quickness. Wish we had more guys that can break down a defense like that.

cdash
01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Love Collison's quickness. Wish we had more guys that can break down a defense like that.

Your avatar is absolutely enchanting. Well done, sir.

odeez
01-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Indeed he has been playing much better of late. He seems to be playing with a lot more confidence. I just want to see him keep it. He isn't an All Star yet, but for a second year PG he is doing really well. Go DC!

BlueNGold
01-14-2011, 07:37 PM
It's hard not to notice the improvement. He is playing with supreme confidence and taking over as the starting PG. His defense has improved as well. There isn't much I would complain about with his game.

But let's see how he deals with Rose tonight.

presto123
01-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Your avatar is absolutely enchanting. Well done, sir.

Thanks. Went to every Noblesville game(home and away) when Coverdale was vying for Mr. Basketball. Too bad he was too slow for the NBA. He was a terrific passer and shooter.