PDA

View Full Version : What happened to this player?

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZJGQkaaMilA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZJGQkaaMilA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

He looked all world, contrast that with the last couple games, wow

It has got to be something "mental" he is too talented

ballism
01-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Either mental or he's wasting a lot of money on that psychologist he started to see.

spreedom
01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Don't make me be the one to say it.......

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Don't make me be the one to say it.......

say what bro?

were all grown here let it out! :)

The Big Smooth
01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Roy is still a bit immature. He has the tools to be great, but he needs to grow emotionally before he can be a great player.

For example, the game where he nearly airballed the last second shot, he came to the bench with his head down, and went up to Danny to apologize, you could see him mouth "Im sorry". Danny just kind of gave him an annoyed look. It's the NBA, you don't apologize for missing a shot. Kobe misses shots, MJ missed shots, of course Roy is going to miss some big shots. I think Roy needs to stop getting so down on himself and realize that you can't win every game. You just need to get in the gym, and do whatever you can to improve and hope that if you are in that situation again, you can come through.

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Roy is still a bit immature. He has the tools to be great, but he needs to grow emotionally before he can be a great player.

For example, the game where he nearly airballed the last second shot, he came to the bench with his head down, and went up to Danny to apologize, you could see him mouth "Im sorry". Danny just kind of gave him an annoyed look. It's the NBA, you don't apologize for missing a shot. Kobe misses shots, MJ missed shots, of course Roy is going to miss some big shots. I think Roy needs to stop getting so down on himself and realize that you can't win every game. You just need to get in the gym, and do whatever you can to improve and hope that if you are in that situation again, you can come through.

I agree

So the question is can that be worked on?

spreedom
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
say what bro?

were all grown here let it out! :)

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/gallery_images/photos/000/616/489/GYI0062552044_crop_450x500.jpg?1290322342

BKK
01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/gallery_images/photos/000/616/489/GYI0062552044_crop_450x500.jpg?1290322342

As much as I despise Jim O'Brien I'm not sure on this one, at least that's not the one that first pops in my mind. I think Roy is just going through a slump and will get back on track soon. There's obviously a mental aspect to this but Roy still has overall made progress from last season. And the huge expectations and encouragement from the early play make it probably even more frustrating for most of us. Let's not forget he is a 3rd year big and they usually take time to developp and mature. Just look at McGee, Jordan, Speights, Randolph, Thompson all from the same class. Or even Lopez who's actually not played that well this season especially rebounding the ball... As 90s wrote he's too talented, he'll figure things out.

Really?
01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
He looks like he isn't having fun anymore, and also like he is lacking confidence again... he needs to start out each game dunking over someone and he will be okay...

He sure is hurting a couple of my fantasy teams though, almost decided to drop him and pick up Jordan fro the clips but I will hold on a couple more weeks...

xIndyFan
01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
thing i notices about roy in the video and roy on the court today is the lack of someone leaning all over him and shoving him out of position. in the video, dhoward is guarding him lightly. watch roy lately and guys are shoving him with both hands, feet and shoulders. really keeping the pressure on him. orlando was not being very physical. the guys this year are being really physical. roy needs to adjust and man up. he is having a welcome to the NBA moment. :shrug:

Blink
01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Did Roy get married? That would explain it.

owl
01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
thing i notices about roy in the video and roy on the court today is the lack of someone leaning all over him and shoving him out of position. in the video, dhoward is guarding him lightly. watch roy lately and guys are shoving him with both hands, feet and shoulders. really keeping the pressure on him. orlando was not being very physical. the guys this year are being really physical. roy needs to adjust and man up. he is having a welcome to the NBA moment. :shrug:

This is exactly what has happened and Roy has not responded to it by being more physical
in his play and he has let it get into his head. Knock some people on their rear. So what if he gets an offensive foul once in awhile.

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
He looks like he isn't having fun anymore,

Thats exactly what I was thinking

He looks like he lost his puppy, all dejected

I want Roy to get fired up again

Justin Tyme
01-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Did Roy get married? That would explain it.

NOT IF HE'S SMART!

flox
01-13-2011, 07:17 PM
The NBA decided to scout him and defend him. Any scout worth his money probably realized what the Pacers were doing and told their team how to adjust.

Trophy
01-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Real tough guy Matt Barnes is...

Roy can crush him.

Sookie
01-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Teams have adjusted to him. He and his coach, need to figure out how to make him more effective.

righteouscool
01-13-2011, 09:44 PM
I think people just bully him around. Roy is a very finesse player and until he gets stronger or gets a mean streak he will continue to get bullied around.

Day-V
01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
While I'm sure teams have adjusted, I don't buy that as an excuse.

He's simply been missing shots that he made earlier in the season.

jeffg-body
01-13-2011, 10:48 PM
IMHO I see this as a confidence issue. I think Hibby will work through this and become more of a consistent player. I thought he looked pretty good last night. The stats may not show it but he is playing better. He will see this slump through and get some of that swagger back to where the other bigs in the league will not want to guard him. We have to remember that he is still a young big with great upside. It usually takes a big in the 4-5 spot will take 5 years to get to that potential.

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2011, 11:54 PM
While I'm sure teams have adjusted, I don't buy that as an excuse.

He's simply been missing shots that he made earlier in the season.

Bingo!

In its simplest form

bulldog
01-14-2011, 12:05 AM

Agreed on the first part. Defenses adjusted to the way they guard Roy exactly as you described.

Disagree on the second part, about Roy needing to "adjust and man up." That's all well and good, and it would happen in an ideal world, but I'd guess he doesn't have it in him. And that's not even a knock on him. Very few big men are 20-10 players and legitimate post threats on a nightly basis. With his lanky frame and average post skills, I'm don't think Roy has the tools to be as effective in the block as before teams made their adjustments. His best hope is developing his mid to low post skill set (hooks, turnarounds, soft jumpers, etc.) but physically I think his ability to be a low post scorer is limited.

I think Roy will regress to the mean a little, and play better than he has over this past stretch, but for the most part he is who we see today: relatively limited on the offensive post.

DaveP63
01-14-2011, 08:21 AM
The last few games there have been glimpses of the old Roy trying to come out. I think he's starting to dig out. Then we'll see what we've got. I'm not sure about a consistent 20-10 guy but would you take 12-8?

D-BONE
01-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Agreed on the first part. Defenses adjusted to the way they guard Roy exactly as you described.

Disagree on the second part, about Roy needing to "adjust and man up." That's all well and good, and it would happen in an ideal world, but I'd guess he doesn't have it in him. And that's not even a knock on him. Very few big men are 20-10 players and legitimate post threats on a nightly basis. With his lanky frame and average post skills, I'm don't think Roy has the tools to be as effective in the block as before teams made their adjustments. His best hope is developing his mid to low post skill set (hooks, turnarounds, soft jumpers, etc.) but physically I think his ability to be a low post scorer is limited.

I think Roy will regress to the mean a little, and play better than he has over this past stretch, but for the most part he is who we see today: relatively limited on the offensive post.

I don't know what Roy's ceiling will be. In some ways, he's already surpassed my initial expectations and I hope he continues to improve.

On the other hand, I agree with your two primary assertions completely. Roy doesn't have the build - particularly the lower body strength - to be a true banger on the block.

That does not mean that he won't score in the post. However, it does speak to your second point that he needs to develop a diverse offensive game - variety of hooks, turn arounds, and short, medium jumpers out to abotu 17/18 feet.

Tom White
01-14-2011, 09:22 AM
For example, the game where he nearly airballed the last second shot, he came to the bench with his head down, and went up to Danny to apologize, you could see him mouth "Im sorry". Danny just kind of gave him an annoyed look.

If that is true, then shame on Granger. He missed a chance to show some leadership by telling Roy to put that shot behind him, and keep working hard on having the outcome be better on the next opportunity he gets. Any player who is shooting the poor percentage the DG is this season should not be giving bad looks to his fellow players.

vnzla81
01-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Lost too much weight.

BoomBaby31
01-14-2011, 09:51 AM
I think people just bully him around. Roy is a very finesse player and until he gets stronger or gets a mean streak he will continue to get bullied around.

He had the discipline to get lean but now the Pacers need to tell him to bulk up, become strong, so he can bang hard in the paint. He's a huge man but he doesn't appear strong in the least.

BillS
01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
No, he should not simply bulk up, because that isn't his problem. He needs to work on his lower body strength.

Getting his arms up or holding trunk position doesn't seem to be the issue, it is pushing through defenses and getting up to the glass/basket. Some lower body work will add some weight, sure, but it gives him ability to use leverage and maybe even some power during a lift.

If he can get up for a shot rather than just flat hooking or trying a (low height, for him) toss layup, he'll be able to get through the way he is currently being played.

90'sNBARocked
01-14-2011, 11:48 AM
No, he should not simply bulk up, because that isn't his problem. He needs to work on his lower body strength.

Getting his arms up or holding trunk position doesn't seem to be the issue, it is pushing through defenses and getting up to the glass/basket. Some lower body work will add some weight, sure, but it gives him ability to use leverage and maybe even some power during a lift.

If he can get up for a shot rather than just flat hooking or trying a (low height, for him) toss layup, he'll be able to get through the way he is currently being played.

Great point Bill

He needs to develop his lower extremities, not just "bulk up"

Kemo
01-14-2011, 09:43 PM
I got to thinking a bit ago while watching the game..

. I was watching a commercial for Advair while flipping through the channels , and it hit me ..

I am serious..

I think there is a very good possibility that the asthma medicine that Roy takes (Advair) may be a part of his problem..at least maybe the mental aspect that we know about that he has confirmed that he believes may be the problem .. ...

He may very well be experiencing some of the side effects of taking that medication ..
I know from personal experience, that sometimes it takes a few months of being on the medication for the side effects to begin showing up...

Here are just a few of the possible side effects ..

# Breathing problems that are becoming worse
# An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
# A very fast heart rate (tachycardia)
# High blood pressure (hypertension)
# High blood sugar
# Agitation, aggression, anxiety, or restlessness
# Depression
# Osteoporosis
# Eye problems, including glaucoma or cataracts
# A frequent or severe infection of any type
# Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.

and that is just to name a few ..

heck, even google "advair + depression" and look for yourselves... Seems there are alot of people experiencing and writing about their bad experiences with taking it..

http://www.drugalert.org/advair/advair-side-effects.htm

I think in all seriousness , that the possibility should be explored.. Hopefully Roy reads this or someone can maybe float the possibility and concern to him..

Here is a quote from Big Roy regarding him taking the medication Advair ..

“I take an Advair twice a day, once in the morning and once again at night. In emergency situations, I have an inhaler in case I need some extra relief or anything like that -- I don’t have asthma attacks,” he told RealGM.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/1019/20110114/problems_mount_for_hibbert/#ixzz1B4HigPBv

pwee31
01-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Teams started making him a top priority defensively, and he hasn't been able to adjust based off his recent struggles