PDA

View Full Version : Has JOB been "practicing" public speaking lately?

bellisimo
01-13-2011, 04:39 AM
some quotes from the last 2 post-game interviews by JOB

"I'm proud of the intensity and effort put forth the last two games," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "I thought we had two very good fourth quarters the last two nights. Taking good shots, getting stops and being unselfish."

"Hibbert made a big shot," O'Brien said.

"He is shooting with confidence, and he's in and out defensively," he said. "But by and large, I thought he was very good defensively tonight. He can shoot it. He is going to be a terrific basketball player."

"He did a nice job," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "Going small is going to benefit Darren as much as anybody because it's hard to come off our perimeter. If we put him in enough pick-and-rolls, he's going to get good looks at the basket."

I know winning can change the tune of everyone, but in most instances it was never easy to please JOB so that he would actually praise someone without mentioning a weakness.

Has JOB been practicing on some "softer appreciation / public communication" lately?

Don't really know what or who got into JOB the last 3 games, but it feels like as if he is having some sort of an epiphany...

Indra
01-13-2011, 06:52 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion it's pressure from the higher-ups.

DaveP63
01-13-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm telling you, it's BIZARRO WORLD!

But it is nice to see him actually complimenting, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

MiaDragon
01-13-2011, 07:57 AM
People do crazy things when their job is on the line. I don't buy it, you don't flip a switch and change who you are over night. Can't wait until this chapter in Pacers history is finally closed.

Indra
01-13-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm telling you, it's BIZARRO WORLD!

But it is nice to see him actually complimenting, irregardless of the reason behind it.

Dude, please don't say "irregardless."

Unclebuck
01-13-2011, 08:31 AM
I see no change what-so-ever. One of Jim's faults is that he is too honest, and some of his negative quotes have been blown out of proportion, but no these quotes in this thread are no dfifferent from other quotes for the past 3.5 seasons. I mean he says both positive and negatives things about his team and his players all the time.

Sobotka
01-13-2011, 08:50 AM
I see no change what-so-ever. One of Jim's faults is that he is too honest, and some of his negative quotes have been blown out of proportion, but no these quotes in this thread are no dfifferent from other quotes for the past 3.5 seasons. I mean he says both positive and negatives things about his team and his players all the time.

Seconded

bellisimo
01-13-2011, 09:00 AM

yes he does say positive and negative, but usually he follows a positive with a negative, except for the last 2 matches - he didn't say anything negative...just positivity all around...

Unclebuck
01-13-2011, 09:12 AM
yes he does say positive and negative, but usually he follows a positive with a negative, except for the last 2 matches - he didn't say anything negative...just positivity all around...

actually he was a little negative towards george before he said he was mostly very,. very good in the Mavs game.

DaveP63
01-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Dude, please don't say "irregardless."

Fixed just for you.

Hicks
01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Nice of him to be more positive, but this isn't nearly enough to either convince me he's changed or to make up for all the previous BS. Regardless, keeping this up would be a welcomed event.

Sookie
01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
No. We won the last two games so he's been positive. JOB typically is pretty positive after wins...unless someone questions his decisions.

pacer4ever
01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
No. We won the last two games so he's been positive. JOB typically is pretty positive after wins...unless someone questions his decisions.

yepp

NuffSaid
01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
While I agree that JOB can sometimes be too critical of his players and the team, if you peel away some of the anger and frustration, you usually get down to some truths. So, what was truthful about things JOB has said recently?

He was critical of Jmac's play, specifically of his rebounding and his scoring production. It's not that Jmac's a terrible player; he just plays more like Foster in that right now he's more of a "utility player" rather than a "hard-nosed, take the ball to the basket w/authority" type of player on every possession. what JOB saw in Jmac was his ability to run the floor and get out in transition, and his improvement in 3-pt shooting. He's not a great 3pt shooter by far, but the fact that he was knocking down some of those shots clearly gave JOB pause to think he could rekindle some of that Troy Murphy trailing 3 magic.

NOT!

But JOB didn't think he could go to either Foster of Hans just yet due to their lack of practise time, etc., since returning from their respective injuries. That said, I do think JOB would have continued w/the Stretch-Fwd experiment if he wasn't receiving pressure from somewhere to make some changes, i.e., mgmt, the fans, the media, all of the above...

Point is: I don't think JOB is stupid, but he certainly doesn't react to some situations very quickly (if not very well). I'm happy he finally let the experiment die and has gone w/the best 5 players at their relative positions as the starters (or atleast those 5 players who work best together).

JOB was also correct when he said he'd stick w/Hibbert despite his struggles because he is our best Center. But Hibbert also needed to take some responsibility for his play and try to figure out what he's been doing wrong out there. Personally, had he asked me :mrgreen: he'd have known it was a matter of: 1) putting too much pressure on himself, 2) rushing his shots, and, 3) taking shots while off balance. The combination of the three can never be good! But Hibbert seems to have figured some things out for himself. Hopefully, he has regrouped and will continue to improve and be the type of player Area 55/fans want him to be.

I still question alot of things JOB does, but to say that some of his accusations of the players made little to no sense...they do if you're really paying attention.

Pacerblue
01-13-2011, 05:02 PM
It was interesting that neither coaches were introduced during the intros

pacergod2
01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
While I agree that JOB can sometimes be too critical of his players and the team, if you peel away some of the anger and frustration, you usually get down to some truths. So, what was truthful about things JOB has said recently?

He was critical of Jmac's play, specifically of his rebounding and his scoring production. It's not that Jmac's a terrible player; he just plays more like Foster in that right now he's more of a "utility player" rather than a "hard-nosed, take the ball to the basket w/authority" type of player on every possession. what JOB saw in Jmac was his ability to run the floor and get out in transition, and his improvement in 3-pt shooting. He's not a great 3pt shooter by far, but the fact that he was knocking down some of those shots clearly gave JOB pause to think he could rekindle some of that Troy Murphy trailing 3 magic.

NOT!

But JOB didn't think he could go to either Foster of Hans just yet due to their lack of practise time, etc., since returning from their respective injuries. That said, I do think JOB would have continued w/the Stretch-Fwd experiment if he wasn't receiving pressure from somewhere to make some changes, i.e., mgmt, the fans, the media, all of the above...

Point is: I don't think JOB is stupid, but he certainly doesn't react to some situations very quickly (if not very well). I'm happy he finally let the experiment die and has gone w/the best 5 players at their relative positions as the starters (or atleast those 5 players who work best together).

JOB was also correct when he said he'd stick w/Hibbert despite his struggles because he is our best Center. But Hibbert also needed to take some responsibility for his play and try to figure out what he's been doing wrong out there. Personally, had he asked me :mrgreen: he'd have known it was a matter of: 1) putting too much pressure on himself, 2) rushing his shots, and, 3) taking shots while off balance. The combination of the three can never be good! But Hibbert seems to have figured some things out for himself. Hopefully, he has regrouped and will continue to improve and be the type of player Area 55/fans want him to be.

I still question alot of things JOB does, but to say that some of his accusations of the players made little to no sense...they do if you're really paying attention.

I have always thought that JOB was honest, but his "class" in handling things has been less than stellar in some situations. I know pro sports is not about being classy, but you shouldn't go out of your way to completely be a jerk about things either.

Hicks
01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
It was interesting that neither coaches were introduced during the intros

Actually, that's incorrect. They both were, simultaneously, before the players were introduced. This was done so if there were boos, they'd seem like they were directed at the other coach, and a lot of people didn't even notice one way or the other, so they didn't boo at all.