PDA

View Full Version : Zach Randolph (Y/N)

purdue101
01-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Just curious as to everyone's opinion of him as a FA target. Historically I've been against targeting him, but his play has been phenomenal this year. He's averaging 24 & 14 over the past 20 games.

He's only 29 and in terms of talent, he's probably the best in the URFA class. I'm sure any interest would be mutual, as we are his hometown, have money, and have a PF need.

Is he worth the gamble with his character and what would he cost? I caution his contract year performance, but I think I would give him 3-4 years at 10-12M/yr.

Day-V
01-12-2011, 10:47 PM
It depends on how much money he'd want.

xIndyFan
01-12-2011, 10:53 PM
:shakehead

no thanx on zach. if nothing else, it would be a public relations disaster. especially after his posse guys got caught with [drugs?] or drug smuggling panels last summer. after the shawne williams stuff, pacer cannot take any posse related problems.

if zach has turned the corner character wise, God bless him. but he will have to do it elsewhere i think :shrug:

ColeTheMole
01-12-2011, 10:54 PM
He put up like 34 and 17 tonight I'm pretty sure. Crazy. Y

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
It depends on how much money he'd want.

He wants a lot. He will most likely be the best FA besides Melo.

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
He said he wants to stay will the Grizz but i dont know if they are willing to pay up to keep him.

joew8302
01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
No thanks. If he were 10 years younger, sure. His age is what makes him unappealing for the pacers at this point.

Shade
01-12-2011, 11:12 PM
In the past, I would have said "no way."

But he looks to be, by far, the best PF that will be on the market next season. Of course, his numbers have increased in a contract year, and that's always somewhat of a red flag.

Hmm... :chin:

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 11:12 PM
No thanks. If he were 10 years younger, sure. His age is what makes him unappealing for the pacers at this point.

The way he plays will actually make his game not declne as fast as other types of players. He has a really good mid range jumper and is really good in te low post.

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM
In the past, I would have said "no way."

But he looks to be, by far, the best PF that will be on the market next season. Of course, his numbers have increased in a contract year, and that's always somewhat of a red flag.

Hmm... :chin:

22 and 12 last season (i think)

graphic-er
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM

LOL you want a rookie?

I'd take a chance on him. If you look at his career stats, his rebounding is at an all time high,, this field goal percentage has increased every year he was been in the league. His scoring has leveled out to about 18pts a game. But his turnovers are at a career lows. He is essentially a complete player now.

My only concern about him is defense.

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 11:14 PM
LOL you want a rookie?

I'd take a chance on him. If you look at his career stats, his rebounding is at an all time high,, this field goal percentage has increased every year he was been in the league. His scoring has leveled out to about 18pts a game. But his turnovers are at a career lows. He is essentially a complete player now.

My only concern about him is defense.

Ya he has matured and has got better with age.

IUfan4life
01-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Randolph plays below the rim, much like Luis Scola. Age won't be a factor with his skill set

Bingo1225
01-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I vote a big yes. Some people take longer to mature than others, and it's even tougher when you are thrown millions of dollars at such a young age. Certainly I'd have to do some research on him, but at 29, maybe he has finally achieved maturity. I truly believe if we could add an Iguadola at the trade deadline or a solid SG in FA, then pick up Randolph in the off season, we'd have a heckuva mix of vets and youngsters that could be serious contenders for a few years. Play an ever improving Hibbert at the high post with his solid jumper around the key and his great passing, with the insided/outside offense of Randolph, Granger's outside shooting, Iguadola's slashing offense/great defense, and an exciting pg in Collison, and you have a real threat. Not to mention solid hustle/rebounders in Hansbrough & McRoberts if he sticks, the unlimited potential of PG, and in my mind a re-signed Dunleavy to be the leader of the second unit. That's my version of the team for next year that could be possible to put together, and give us a chance to be a solid contender

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Randolph plays below the rim, much like Luis Scola. Age won't be a factor with his skill set

exactly the guy will still be effctive when he is 35

Shade
01-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Of course, knowing Jim, he'd play Zach as a stretch four.

I still shudder when I picture Randolph chucking threes... :shudder:

IndyHoosier
01-12-2011, 11:26 PM
I love him on my ABA Fantasy League team this year. But the Pacers after this year?...... I will pass. His game has nowhere to go but down from here and will cost way too much money.

joew8302
01-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I disagree. He will be 30 before the start of next season, and he is already "not active" on defense. I mean yes Zach can score a little bit down low and is crafty, but defensively he is Troy Murphy 2.0.

Again, if he was 23 and still had spring in his legs sure, but paying big bucks for a 30 yr old who is limited on defense when the building blocks on this team are mid 20's? No thanks.

xBulletproof
01-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Negative.

I've played ball with, and against him before, and he think's he's some serious 'gangsta', and he's flat out dumb to boot. No thanks. I'd have a hard time rooting for him. Couldn't stand him in any way, shape or form. I'd played with a lot of really good players, and he's the only one I couldn't stand to root for getting to the NBA. Ugh.

It might honestly put a hold on my Pacers fandom honestly, I can't stand him that much.

I Love P
01-12-2011, 11:40 PM
N

odeez
01-12-2011, 11:50 PM
I lean more towards a no than a yes. His past and potential for drama in the future makes me pause. Though I know he will be one of the best available at the 4 in FA, I still say pass.

pacer4ever
01-13-2011, 12:02 AM
If we can get David West than i say West for sure. He is a better locker room guy and a better fit at the PF for us. But if we could get Zach for 8mill per than i say do it. (i know there is no chance we get him for 8 mill per)

Kstat
01-13-2011, 12:15 AM
I'll gladly take him....

pacer4ever
01-13-2011, 12:17 AM
I'll gladly take him....

2k or real life? id take him in both

QuickRelease
01-13-2011, 12:29 AM
I love him on my ABA Fantasy League team this year. But the Pacers after this year?...... I will pass. His game has nowhere to go but down from here and will cost way too much money.
At 29??

QuickRelease
01-13-2011, 12:35 AM
He's got game, but he bears the potential of being able to reduce a lot of good will to an avalanche of crap with one stupid action.

ballism
01-13-2011, 01:58 AM
1. My concern is that this is Indiana. This is where his 'friends' live.
2. He's also a bad fit next to Hibbert. That said, Hibbert hasn't looked like a long term solution anyway for most of the year. :(
3. If J'OB is here, I'm scared about Zach. He has so many bad shooting habbits that he mostly successfully suppressed for the last few years. With J'OB, those habbits might get encouraged.

All that said, there's so much talent here, it's a huge upgrade. Younger and better than West and should age well. I don't see better options with that cap space this summer. Or in trades, unless we give away picks and youngsters. So I say yes. I understand those who prefer West though, it's the safe pick.

Psyren
01-13-2011, 01:58 AM
It would depend on the money situation.

Randolph could be our answer at the PF spot for several years to come. As said before in this thread, the guy has a lot of talent, but he just seems to be a ticking time bomb.

Indra
01-13-2011, 02:00 AM
Based on his reputation as being a fool, I'm going to pass. I would much rather take a slightly less talented guy if he's going to make the team better in other ways. If that includes being a solid locker room guy, or a "glue" guy, then fantastic.

Peck
01-13-2011, 02:45 AM
In fact wouldn't this guy be Jim O'Briens perfect fit at power forward or at least close to it?

Shoots from distance, can rebound and at times in high volume, and while not a defensive stalwert is not afraid to body up another teams post player.

Wouldn't he be a better version of what Walker was in Boston?

My vote would be no.

Eleazar
01-13-2011, 04:21 AM
For me this is an automatic Hell NO!!!!

BringJackBack
01-13-2011, 05:36 AM
Consider me on the fence. He's really underrated and he's a poor man's Kevin Love, which alone would want me to pick him up. However, what would happen to our defense? Is his bad defense overblown?

He's averaging 4.5 offensive rebounds (13 total repounds per game), gets to the line (5.4 FTA per game), shooting a solid .497 fg%, and 20 ppg at that. If we can get a disciplinarian as a coach that uses common sense, I would be all for bringing Zach in, especially if Hibbert is going to continue to disappear for long stretches of the season.

He'd be good for Collison too. Good for the PnR and PnP. We really need a big with a solid mid-range jumper. People complain about his age, but he's only 29 and he plays below the rim and he's having a career year THIS YEAR so I'm not too concerned about that.

He'd become our best player. An improved George, Hibbert, and Collison along with and All-Star Randolph and a new coach? Sounds good.

But still, I'm on the fence. He's got character issues, he takes some bad shots, and he is going to command a lot of cash. Not to mention that he isn't an enforcer on defense. However, not many players like DD exist anymore so maybe we are all being a little picky.

Mackey_Rose
01-13-2011, 05:48 AM
He is probably the best available player at his position, but it would be way too much of a risk for the franchise.

He's going to cost a ton, but more importantly, he's a public relations nightmare just waiting to happen. With everything that has happened in the past, I don't think that is a risk they will or should be willing to take. It doesn't matter how good he is, or how much he fits in with the roster, it just doesn't make business sense for a team that is really trying hard and struggling to win back a mostly apathetic fan base.

I would prefer David West, but I don't think he will be interested in coming here. I've posted the full list of power forwards set to enter free agency after this season, and it isn't a great group.

I think if we are going to get a huge improvement at that position, it is going to need to be in the form of a trade. Josh Smith is the most obvious name that comes to mind as a possibility. I don't know if the Hawks would be willing to take on Granger's contract, but if they would, I hope Larry will make an offer to swap Granger for Smith.

Kegboy
01-13-2011, 06:04 AM
N

DaveP63
01-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Nope. Too much "extra baggage".

pizza guy
01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Nope

HC
01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Negative.

I've played ball with, and against him before, and he think's he's some serious 'gangsta', and he's flat out dumb to boot. No thanks. I'd have a hard time rooting for him. Couldn't stand him in any way, shape or form. I'd played with a lot of really good players, and he's the only one I couldn't stand to root for getting to the NBA. Ugh.

It might honestly put a hold on my Pacers fandom honestly, I can't stand him that much.

I don't live far from his "hood," and I've never heard a good word about him.

Really?
01-13-2011, 11:44 AM
LOL... I Think Everyone Pretty Much Covered My Answer Already...

pacers74
01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
First, question why wasn't there a poll for this?

Second, I have had this rattling in my head for a few weeks. I love his offensive game. I would love to get a 20/12 guy on this team. If you were to just add a player like that to our core, without losing anybody, it would increase our win total by at 10-15 games.

Third, The player metioned above is Zach Randolph. When you have articles about the guy just written in May that say he has been named in an affidavit that he is an "a major marijuana supplier in Indianapolis," then all the red flags in the world come flying up. All of the articles about that are from around May 26th or 27th. I cannot find any updated articles about it. Does anyone know what came of the whole thing?

Anyway, I would love to have him here as a player, but as a person off of the court I am not sure.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/05/27/zach-randolph-implicated-in-drug-bust/

pacer4ever
01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
In fact wouldn't this guy be Jim O'Briens perfect fit at power forward or at least close to it?

Shoots from distance, can rebound and at times in high volume, and while not a defensive stalwert is not afraid to body up another teams post player.

Wouldn't he be a better version of what Walker was in Boston?

My vote would be no.

Yes he would be perfect for JOB

IndyHoosier
01-13-2011, 12:08 PM
At 29??

I suppose I meant probably won't get better, maybe even keel for a bit with the inevitable downhill trend afterwards. :)

Also, playing in Indy most likely won't be good for him as some of the other posts suggested.

pacer4ever
01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I suppose I meant probably won't get better, maybe even keel for a bit with the inevitable downhill trend afterwardsthe way he plays age wont affect him as much. :)

Also, playing in Indy most likely won't be good for him as some of the other posts suggestedI agree with this.

any better?? He would be better than are PF by miles and more miles. He is an all star type talent.

Pacergeek
01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
age is just a number. If Zack was in his mid 30's, then i would be hesitant. You never really know how old a player can be and still be effective. Steve Nash is on the wrong side of 30, and is still at a high level. Just because Zack is 29 shouldn't deter anybody from signing him.

Really?
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
First, question why wasn't there a poll for this?

Second, I have had this rattling in my head for a few weeks. I love his offensive game. I would love to get a 20/12 guy on this team. If you were to just add a player like that to our core, without losing anybody, it would increase our win total by at 10-15 games.

Third, The player metioned above is Zach Randolph. When you have articles about the guy just written in May that say he has been named in an affidavit that he is an "a major marijuana supplier in Indianapolis," then all the red flags in the world come flying up. All of the articles about that are from around May 26th or 27th. I cannot find any updated articles about it. Does anyone know what came of the whole thing?

Anyway, I would love to have him here as a player, but as a person off of the court I am not sure.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/05/27/zach-randolph-implicated-in-drug-bust/

The person and the player come as a packaged deal so I'm taking that as a no also..

BRushWithDeath
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
If the drug ring rumors were just rumors I'd say yes.

So I'll say no.

grace
01-13-2011, 01:23 PM
NNNNNNNNNNN

beast23
01-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Negative.

...he think's he's some serious 'gangsta', and he's flat out dumb to boot. No thanks. I'd have a hard time rooting for him. Couldn't stand him in any way, shape or form...

It might honestly put a hold on my Pacers fandom honestly, I can't stand him that much.Ditto.

No effing way.

There aren't many players I would have put into this category. Bur Randolph and Iverson... definitely.

Justin Tyme
01-13-2011, 06:57 PM
This has been discussed numerous times before, and my answer is still the same.

NO THANX!

flox
01-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Yes to the player.

It's not a no to the person..but more of a bad fit with the team.

But hell yes as a player.

speakout4
01-13-2011, 07:03 PM
He gets a four year 50M contract one year at a time.

Roaming Gnome
01-13-2011, 07:26 PM

I have had Zach in the ABA Keeper League for about 4 seasons now and this is the best year that I've had with him, but really outside of his injuries the numbers have been pretty good since I've had him.

As for wanting him on the Pacers... Jim O'Brien may be salavating, but I'd have to say no thanks. He may get it now, but coming home brings more unwanted influences his way. Anyway, I don't care for the style of PF that he plays. Stretch 4's and jumpshooters need not apply for my ideal Power Forward!

pwee31
01-13-2011, 07:31 PM
As shown by my recent "bumps" of a thread and RSS feeds. No thanks to Z-Bo, as talented as he may be

Roaming Gnome
01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Yes to the player.

It's not a no to the person..but more of a bad fit with the team.

But hell yes as a player.

Hard to separate the baggage from his talent. I'm still waiting for Skaut Ech to post his annual Zach Randolph "Rap Sheet" that will scare everyone off.... Like it does every year!

Yeah, Zach being in a drug ring was on the front page of the Indianapolis Star metro print edition on May 27th, 2010...

I guess you can include this in that public opinion of the NBA with regards to the city's negotiations with PS&E. I can hear it now.... "Why should the city support a league of drug runners and just all around bad people" :sigh:

TheDon
01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I never really had much of an opinion but you'd always hear various stories about how he got over in school so he could play in both high school and college cause the dude was dumb as hell. Then when he finally made it big I remember while he was still with the blazers a while ago Marion had a big event that was in the Marion High School gym that was put on by the city to honor him and he was later quoted in the Marion Chronicle Tribune about how he didn't think it was big enough and was pretty disappointed that they didn't do more. Not only that but I also remember him flipping everyone off at Conseco a few years back. I would definately find another team to cheer for if we ever had this bum on our team.

Trophy
01-13-2011, 08:10 PM
He's very much a stats guy and has a lot of off the court baggage and in Indy no less.

Pass.

How many threads were posted about Randolph?

PaceBalls
01-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I remember there was some shooting incident with him and his posse at a bar here in Anderson a few years ago. The dude can play, but please, no night club brawlers again.

In fact, I think it would be better if the team just made it a team rule to keep all the Pacer's players from visiting nightclubs as long as they are receiving a paycheck from the club.