View Full Version : Report: Iverson to retire

Basketball Fan
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27011344

Report: Allen Iverson to retire
Posted on: January 12, 2011 11:00 am
Edited on: January 12, 2011 11:11 amScore: 148
Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate: Posted by Royce Young

Not many thought it would last the two years he signed to play. Not many probably thought it would even last this long. But according to the Turkish publication Ajansspor, Allen Iverson is ready to retire.

Via HoopsWorld, the translation:

“Turkish Besiktas famous import, Allen Iverson, appears close to end his career in basketball. The former Philadelphia Sixers’ guard injured his left ankle recently and can’t stand the pain anymore. Later today, he will do a press conference to announce that he is going to have surgery in the United States and will be treated here. ‘Leaving the basketball world makes me sad but, sometimes, we have to accept things like they are. I can say goodbye to basketball,’ he revealed yesterday.”

As I've said before, I hated the fact that Iverson was even finishing up his career in Turkey, but the fact he's retiring there after an injury just makes me sad. It shouldn't have ended like this for The Answer.

Iverson appeared in 10 games for Besiktas (thre coming in the Eurocup) and averaged 12.8 points and 4.2 assists in around 30 minutes per game. His team went 5-5 with him.

If this is truly the end for Iverson, it's been quite the incredible career. It started in Philadelphia and ended in Turkey, but the stuff in between was truly great. He won an MVP in 2001, took the 76ers to The Finals, fell out of love with Philly, then went to Denver and then was traded to Detroit. He stopped in Memphis for a cup of coffee before finishing his NBA career where it started, back in Philadelphia.

spreedom
01-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Good riddance. You were everything that was wrong about the NBA last decade.

MyFavMartin
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM

That's harsh, man.

He brought intensity and passion to the game. He was a tremendous scorer and very good defender. Smallest MVP in NBA history.

graphic-er
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
That's harsh, man.

He brought intensity and passion to the game. He was a tremendous scorer and very good defender. Smallest MVP in NBA history.

And a terrible teammate...

Shade
01-12-2011, 01:07 PM
That's harsh, man.

I would have lots of "intensity and passion" (read: energy) too if I never had to go to practice.

Basketball Fan
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I would have lots of "intensity and passion" (read: energy) too if I never had to go to practice.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eGDBR2L5kzI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eGDBR2L5kzI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Shade
01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
It never gets old. :D

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 01:14 PM
JO didnt pratice ethier

beast23
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
If I may quote JOB: "Totally irrelevant".

By the way AI, "Don't let the door kick you in the arse".

ballism
01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
You guys noticed he isn't in the NBA anymore, right?
This is about him retiring from basketball alltogether because of what could be a tumor in his ankle, according to reports.
There have been multitudes of worse people with less game who played basketball well past 35. If he can't even play 20-30 games a year in Europe, it's quite sad.

PR07
01-12-2011, 01:51 PM

I wouldn't say that. Watching Iverson fearlessly drive into the paint and the physical pounding he would take for such a little guy was a definite positive of the NBA. Say what you want to about his attitude, chucking, etc., but in a lot of ways, the guy was a tough competitor on the court.

Since86
01-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I like this part of the article the most.

As I've said before, I hated the fact that Iverson was even finishing up his career in Turkey, but the fact he's retiring there after an injury just makes me sad. It shouldn't have ended like this for The Answer.

HEY DUMBASS!! HE CHOSE FOR IT TO END THIS WAY!!!

flox
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
What a sad circumstance for the future hall of famer to retire. A great career.

Peck
01-12-2011, 02:54 PM
If Allen Iverson has a tumor in his leg than I wish him nothing but the best and a hopeful full and speedy recovery.

Nobody should have to suffer through that.

I was never a fan of him as a player, I don't know him as a person so I can't speak about him but he is a fellow human being and this would be tragic if this is the case.

spreedom
01-12-2011, 05:36 PM
If Allen Iverson has a tumor in his leg than I wish him nothing but the best and a hopeful full and speedy recovery.

Nobody should have to suffer through that.

I was never a fan of him as a player, I don't know him as a person so I can't speak about him but he is a fellow human being and this would be tragic if this is the case.

Agreed.

Iverson the player - Hate him.
Iverson the man - I wish him the best of health, and happiness in retirement.

Psyren
01-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Iverson was one of my favorite players for the longest time.

Hated him only for the fact that he was so good. Never wanted him to tear the Pacers up when we played him.

SMosley21
01-12-2011, 06:10 PM
If I may quote JOB: "Totally irrelevant".

By the way AI, "Don't let the door kick you in the arse".

I've never seen a door kick anyone. I have seen them hit a few people though.

righteouscool
01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Stuff like this is sad to me. For us, basketball is just fun entertainment (well, I hope so at least), but for some of these players their identity is them as a basketball player and they just don't know what to do at 33 when they've lost their ability.

Evan_The_Dude
01-12-2011, 07:09 PM
I respect him as a player for being able to play at the level he played at with his lack of size, while playing 40 minutes a game and not being considered injury prone. That's amazing in itself.