PDA

View Full Version : Referee Ken Mauer calls 5 technicals in 10 seconds

SMosley21
01-12-2011, 11:42 AM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=310111016
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Referee Ken Mauer certainly won't be accused of being biased toward his hometown Minnesota Timberwolves anytime soon.

Mauer, a cousin of Twins superstar Joe Mauer and a St. Paul native, whistled the Wolves for five technical fouls in a dizzying 10 seconds of the third quarter, allowing the calm and collected San Antonio Spurs to take control of another head-scratchingly tight game between the best team in the NBA and one of the worst.

"I've never seen that before," said Wolves forward Kevin Love, who picked up the final technical of the spree. "Five in a row, that had to be a first. That was crazy."

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_fm2WxX6vtw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;col or2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_fm2WxX6vtw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;col or2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Maybe someone should remind these refs that the fans aren't there to see them. Mauer is a douchebag.

xIndyFan
01-12-2011, 11:59 AM
mauer is my least favorite official. what a dick. plus he is a crappy ref. especially for a veteran. the sooner he is gone the better off the game will be.

BPump33
01-12-2011, 12:03 PM
In a kind of related note. We sat 3 rows behind the Spurs bench and they are the biggest bunch of crybabies I have ever witnessed. I thought JMac was bad about pouting, but Duncan takes the cake. He literally had something to say to the ref before he sat down every time. I always respected Duncan as a player before, but I lost some of that the other night. Pop wasn't much better.

spreedom
01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Idiot. Get him and Bavetta out of here. I hate officials that are noticeable, because it always means that they're really, really bad.

graphic-er
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I wonder how Bill Lamber did as coach in the 4th?

Peck
01-12-2011, 03:00 PM
I wonder how Bill Lamber did as coach in the 4th?

Keep dreaming

Roaming Gnome
01-12-2011, 03:17 PM
For some reason I was picturing that scene from "Forget Paris" where Billy Crystal tosses Kareem out of his "farewell game" then proceeds to ring up most of the players in said game.

SMosley21
01-12-2011, 03:18 PM
For some reason I was picturing that scene from "Forget Paris" where Billy Crystal tosses Kareem out of his "farewell game" then proceeds to ring up most of the players in said game.

Haven't seen that movie in quite a while. Good memory.

thewholefnshow31
01-12-2011, 03:40 PM
In a kind of related note. We sat 3 rows behind the Spurs bench and they are the biggest bunch of crybabies I have ever witnessed. I thought JMac was bad about pouting, but Duncan takes the cake. He literally had something to say to the ref before he sat down every time. I always respected Duncan as a player before, but I lost some of that the other night. Pop wasn't much better.

I have never respected Duncan. People always slobbered all over him about how professional he is and so on. I always wondered how people missed his constant whining. The guy has to be one of the biggest crybabies in the entire NBA. Every call that he feels he did not get or that he did nothing he would whine to the ref about and make these stupid faces.

I am all for the NBA cracking down on the complaining and whining that goes on, but these refs are taking it to far and now are becoming the story instead of the play on the court.

xIndyFan
01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
speaking of tim duncan and officiating. this is my all time favorite joey crawford moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOygTd1NWCM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOygTd1NWCM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOygTd1NWCM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Indra
01-13-2011, 08:15 AM
I haaaate Tim Duncan. Biggest crybaby in the history of the league. I hate his stupid whiny face every time a call goes against him. How he always smiles like "how stupid is this ref?" We might have believed it a couple times, Tim. But not every time a foul gets called on you.

Props to Crawford for tossing him from that game. If only they could start every Spurs game just like that and throw his whiny *** out from the get-go.

travmil
01-13-2011, 08:27 AM
This is one of the reasons it's really hard to care about the NBA. Stern continues to allow inconsistent refs to make inconsistent calls. Those two non calls on Blair at the end of all of that were positively disgusting. Every league has bad officials and missed calls, but it sure seems like the NBA has more than their fair share.

vapacersfan
01-13-2011, 09:25 AM
I haaaate Tim Duncan. Biggest crybaby in the history of the league. I hate his stupid whiny face every time a call goes against him. How he always smiles like "how stupid is this ref?" We might have believed it a couple times, Tim. But not every time a foul gets called on you.

Props to Crawford for tossing him from that game. If only they could start every Spurs game just like that and throw his whiny *** out from the get-go.

You do realize Crawford was suspended for the whole year, and almost fired for that.

As for Duncan, I never saw the actions he descrbied as taunting or being disrespectful. I guess I would rather see a guy do that then yell "and 1 mother ****er" or "**** you ref, you ****ing idiot. I hate you adn your mother you ***" and that is the PG version

spreedom
01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
I agree that the Spurs are the biggest pack of whiners in the league. Ginobili flops on nearly every single possession that he either has the ball or is defending the ball, and he has this "Why can't I ever get a call?" look on his face every time:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2289/2433443809_653189604d_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39453023@N00/2433443809/)

Bridge
01-13-2011, 12:17 PM
I clearly read Rambus' lips saying F-U. As a high school official, I would have thrown him out too. We don't know what was said out there. No one deserves to be treated poorly, and he is simply following the rules. Do the officials berate the players when they miss a shot or make a turnover? If a players deserves a T, he deserves it regardless of how many have been called.

I trust the veterans decision.

makaveli
01-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I clearly read Rambus' lips saying F-U. As a high school official, I would have thrown him out too. We don't know what was said out there. No one deserves to be treated poorly, and he is simply following the rules. Do the officials berate the players when they miss a shot or make a turnover? If a players deserves a T, he deserves it regardless of how many have been called.

I trust the veterans decision.

I re-watched it and the F-U came AFTER the ejection. I have no problem with cleaning up the game and stopping SOME of the whining but you can't strip the players of emotion or we might as well watch NBA 2k or whatever it is, on big screens at the arenas. They will become drones.

Young
01-13-2011, 07:18 PM
That video right there is exactly why NBA refs have the worst reputation of any refs in any sport on any level.

If I was the commissioner for a day that would the one thing that would change for the better. Disgusting.

xIndyFan
01-13-2011, 07:24 PM
That video right there is exactly why NBA refs have the worst reputation of any refs in any sport on any level.

If I was the commissioner for a day that would the one thing that would change for the better. Disgusting.

not sure this is true, joe west and the rest of the baseball umpire assn are horrible beyond belief. and anyone who watches big ten basketball games should soon come to the conclusion that NBA officials are a big improvement over the college game.

that said, kenny mauer is still a complete dick.

Day-V
01-13-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm just shocked that Violet Palmer wasn't there making the terrible calls.

ilive4sports
01-13-2011, 07:32 PM
not sure this is true, joe west and the rest of the baseball umpire assn are horrible beyond belief. and anyone who watches big ten basketball games should soon come to the conclusion that NBA officials are a big improvement over the college game.

that said, kenny mauer is still a complete dick.

Dont forget Big Ten football officials....

As far as pro sports, yes NBA refs have the worst reputation and things like what Mauer did are exactly why.

Day-V
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Dont forget Big Ten football officials....

He didn't.......?

ilive4sports
01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
He didn't.......?

He said Big Ten basketball, I said football.

Day-V
01-13-2011, 07:53 PM
He said Big Ten basketball, I said football.

Yup, I'm an idiot.

ilive4sports
01-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Yup, I'm an idiot.

Haha its ok, I've done it many times, in fact I needed to check to make sure i did get it right.

flox
01-13-2011, 08:21 PM
The NBA is crooked. Joe Crawford should have been fired.

Shade
01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Big Ten officiating isn't "bad" so much as it's "rigged."

xIndyFan
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
The NBA is crooked. Joe Crawford should have been fired.

i always like having either joey or danny crawford officiating a pacer game. i like the way they call the game.

cgg
01-14-2011, 01:00 AM
I re-watched it and the F-U came AFTER the ejection. I have no problem with cleaning up the game and stopping SOME of the whining but you can't strip the players of emotion or we might as well watch NBA 2k or whatever it is, on big screens at the arenas. They will become drones.

Players in NBA2k show more emotion than is allowed in the NBA now.

Day-V
01-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Players in NBA2k show more emotion than is allowed in the NBA now.

So does the crowd compared to what you normally hear at Conseco.....

cgg
01-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Depends if you're winning and how good your team is. It can get pretty quiet.

Day-V
01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Depends if you're winning and how good your team is. It can get pretty quiet.

All I do is win :cool:

dgranger33
01-15-2011, 11:50 AM
We were at school yesterday, and I was reading this thread, and my friend is Spurs fan (I don't how he is), and sees that people are saying the Spurs are cry babies and he goes on a rampage saying we killed the Pacers and the Pacers suck. I just let him ramble on, because I know the Spurs are cry babies, and it just shows by his reaction. The Spurs ARE cry babies. I think he is a bandwagoner though, how can you be a Spurs fan and live in Indiana?

oxxo
01-16-2011, 02:42 AM
I have never respected Duncan. People always slobbered all over him about how professional he is and so on. I always wondered how people missed his constant whining. The guy has to be one of the biggest crybabies in the entire NBA. Every call that he feels he did not get or that he did nothing he would whine to the ref about and make these stupid faces.

I am all for the NBA cracking down on the complaining and whining that goes on, but these refs are taking it to far and now are becoming the story instead of the play on the court.

Same. I've never liked the Spurs much. Duncan has always been a HUGE whiner. The Spurs on the whole have always flopped, whined, and played pretty dirty (mostly Bowen I guess) in recent history. When they got all the praise from the media about being such a 'professional' ballclub... well it just irritated me more.

I'm actually glad a couple of you feel the same way. No one I know in real life ever believed me or listened to me about the Spurs being dirty whiners :\ Then again, most people I know just read/watch ESPN and just believe whatever they say.

BringJackBack
01-16-2011, 02:45 AM
I'll tell you what though.. They've been a hell of a team for the past decade.

heywoode
01-16-2011, 01:51 PM
The Spurs are definitely a well-put together and very good team on talent alone, but there is no doubt they are by far the worst team when it comes to getting calls (or no-calls) and then whining about what they DON'T get.

There are at least five or six teams in the league who could have been just as dominant as the Spurs if they got the kind of preferential treatment the Spurs have gotten for AT LEAST the last decade. The Lakers would win the title every single year if they got away with as much as the Spurs do.

Duncan is close to my least favorite player OF ALL TIME.