PDA

View Full Version : Late December/Early January: O'Brien's Adjustment Period?

flox
01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I've been wondering- is Late December/Early January O'Brien's adjustment period?

This year, we saw Tyler and Paul George get some burn after playing little minutes during the first two and a half months of the season.

In 08-09- We saw Jack move into the starting lineup and Ford move to the bench at the beginning of January. Earlier, in December, we saw Hibbert move into the starting lineup.

Last year we saw Ford being benched last year at the start of the new year.

If so- this suggests that O'Brien lets the team play and sees what he has after one or two months of basketball, and starts making major adjustments then.

My theory is that this helps the veterans- who get to start the season and get "their" burn, etc, and the once January comes around he gets to play who he wants.

MyFavMartin
01-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I think we start out strong, teams make their adjustments, then it takes a while for JOB to figure out his readjustments... It's a young team and he went with youth early in the season with McBob and Roy... Now Tyler's getting burn... Posey early and now Foster's getting some more PT in place of Solo... TJ's been getting PT constantly...

I don't think he's favoring veterans over youth... I think he's just trying to A) get the best player on the court (which is determined through practice) and B) get the best combination/chemistry of players on the court.

Commentators last night said JOB had 9 different starting combinations of late... I didn't check that or maybe I misheard it, but he'll figure out his new rotations and teams again will adjust... It's the nature of the NBA.

Loved those slip screens by Foster last night... Great adjustment.

PacerPenguins
01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
i truly believe obie is changing his ways right now. he is starting tyler playing george and letting collison play up tempo

Shade
01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
i truly believe obie is changing his ways right now. he is starting tyler playing george and letting collison play up tempo

I'll believe it when I see it.

CableKC
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
If so- this suggests that O'Brien lets the team play and sees what he has after one or two months of basketball, and starts making major adjustments then.

My theory is that this helps the veterans- who get to start the season and get "their" burn, etc, and the once January comes around he gets to play who he wants.
Great....does that mean that we're going to see a lineup of DC/TJ/BRush/Dunleavy/Granger/Hibbert/Foster/Solo/Posey close out the season?

Based off of this assumption....what does that likely mean that we will be in store for when it comes to rotations?

ChicagoJ
01-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Crawling out from under my "its busy season" rock for a few minutes:

I don't know the answer. I've been thinking for a couple of weeks "this team is really, really underachieving right now." I was hoping for a coaching change, but I guess an adjustment by the coach has similar utility.

So he does what I've been asking for all along - a Point, three wings and a post player. [ green] And what a surprise, it works!! [/ green] (At least against the Sixers, it worked.)

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110112/SPORTS04/101120345/1062/SPORTS04/Pacers-1st-road-win-since-November-hits-spot

The Pacers spent part of the game with a traditional lineup, but also used Collison, Dunleavy, Granger and Brandon Rush -- essentially a point guard and three wings -- along with one post player.

That lineup, used almost the entire fourth quarter, led to 51 percent shooting (46-for-90) and 29 assists for the game. The Pacers averaged 87 points on 37 percent shooting their first two games this season against Philadelphia.

"When we have the smaller lineup in there with guys that can shoot and space the floor, it certainly makes it easier," Dunleavy said. "Hopefully we can find a nice mix with those different lineups and continue to play well offensively."

That's a lineup that I like, even if some would call it a "small" lineup.

If he keeps using that lineup in long stretches, and the fourth quarter, for the rest of the season then okay.

And you all know I'm not a big fan of Larry Brown's third and fourth seasons anywhere. But if he comes here on a two-year contract then it would be ideal for these young players.

And now, I return to my rock.

flox
01-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Great....does that mean that we're going to see a lineup of DC/TJ/BRush/Dunleavy/Granger/Hibbert/Foster/Solo/Posey close out the season?

Based off of this assumption....what does that likely mean that we will be in store for when it comes to rotations?

In my personal opinion...that means he doesn't feel obligated to playing the vets because they are vets.

My theory is that in the beginning of the season O'Brien makes a deal with the vets that he'll play them and such..and by the beginning of the new year that deal ends or something.

BlueNGold
01-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Whatever is going on, it's a good sign. Clearly, he's trying to find something that works.

However, it's a little unfair that Tyler has to play 4 of his first 5 games against the Spurs, Hawks, Bulls and Mavs. Not exactly D league teams.

flox
01-12-2011, 07:15 PM
So he does what I've been asking for all along - a Point, three wings and a post player. [ green] And what a surprise, it works!! [/ green] (At least against the Sixers, it worked.)

That lineup got murdered by the Spurs when it was used against them. Spurs went smallball, we countered with point, 3 wings, post, and got hammered.

Trophy
01-12-2011, 07:18 PM
The guided offense from earlier in the season was there last night and hopefully it's coming back again in addition to our defense.

ChicagoJ
01-12-2011, 09:18 PM
That lineup got murdered by the Spurs when it was used against them. Spurs went smallball, we countered with point, 3 wings, post, and got hammered.

So is that the only lineup the Spurs have had success against?

That's probably not the critieria one should use this season. We're not going to compete with the best team in the league any time soon, but that particular lineup gives us the best chance to be competitive against the league, overall.

PS, from what I can find (the play-by-play log isn't very good on substitutions from this game), the lineup that gave away the lead was Ford-Dunleavy-Granger-George-Foster. That may be point-3 wings and a post, but given my opinion of Ford and Foster that's also a sucky lineup. From what I can tell and what I remember, Rush and Dunleavy were replacing each other, not on the court together (and with Danny).