PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about Danny's minutes?

Anthem
01-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Danny's only averaging 37 minutes a game this season, which is high but not that unusual for a team's best player. Recently, though, it seems (anecdotally) that he's had more 40+ minute games. Tonight he played over 42 minutes.

He seems to have taken all of Posey's minutes, which I'm great with. But do you guys see this as sustainable in the long term? Is the difference between 37 and 34 minutes per game really that big?

He doesn't look tired, so far. He played his best ball in the 4th quarter. But how long can he go like this?

p.s. Here's a fun stat. We beat Philly by 8. Danny was +21 in over 42 minutes. That means in the five and a half minutes he wasn't on the floor tonight, the team got outscored by 13 points. Wild.

p.p.s. 0-for-7 from Iggy? Ouch. Fair to say that he's not helping his chances of getting traded to Indiana.

Pacerfan
01-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Danny's only averaging 37 minutes a game this season, which is high but not that unusual for a team's best player. Recently, though, it seems (anecdotally) that he's had more 40+ minute games. Tonight he played over 42 minutes.

He seems to have taken all of Posey's minutes, which I'm great with. But do you guys see this as sustainable in the long term? Is the difference between 37 and 34 minutes per game really that big?

He doesn't look tired, so far. He played his best ball in the 4th quarter. But how long can he go like this?

p.s. Here's a fun stat. We beat Philly by 8. Danny was +21 in over 42 minutes. That means in the five and a half minutes he wasn't on the floor tonight, the team got outscored by 13 points. Wild.

p.p.s. 0-for-7 from Iggy? Ouch. Fair to say that he's not helping his chances of getting traded to Indiana.

Agreed...he needs less minutes for him be able to sustain his peak performance for the rest of the year and not injure himself. Josh and Paul need to take some of those minutes. I guess just play whichever one is needed based on match-ups.

xIndyFan
01-11-2011, 11:58 PM
hopefully paul will play well enough to take some of danny's minutes. but the harsh truth is danny is the best player. and when he doesn't play, the pacers suck. it seemed the sixers started scoring as soon as he went out.

my worry is danny will have to slow down to play the extra minutes and that will give everyone else not named darren an excuse to not run. and pacers are not skilled enough to play at a slow pace.

joew8302
01-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Well Jim is caught between a rock and a hard place. Danny is the teams best player, and we have played a bunch of close games and lost a lot of them. How many would we have won had Danny seen the court a few extra minutes? It is impossible to say.

Is this pace sustainable? Who knows. But do you play Granger only 37 minutes a night and settle for these close losses? Tough decision.

duke dynamite
01-12-2011, 12:53 AM
He should switch to Rollover.

Cherokee
01-12-2011, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't worry about his minutes. Wilt Chamberlain averaged 45.8 for his career, Oscar Robertson 42.2, Elgin Baylor 40, Larry Bird 38.4, and three of them are still alive.

xBulletproof
01-12-2011, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't worry about his minutes. Wilt Chamberlain averaged 45.8 for his career, Oscar Robertson 42.2, Elgin Baylor 40, Larry Bird 38.4, and three of them are still alive.

Pitchers in the majors used to throw 50+ complete games a year too.

There's a reason things change. Sometimes less is more.

Cherokee
01-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Pitchers in the majors used to throw 50+ complete games a year too.

There's a reason things change. Sometimes less is more.

I know what you are saying, and I don't disagree. However, today's basketball players have better training, better diet, the game is not nearly as physical as it used to be, etc. They should be able to handle the load once in a while.

spazzxb
01-12-2011, 01:19 AM
[QUOTE=Anthem;1134264]Danny's only averaging 37 minutes a game this season, which is high but not that unusual for a team's best player. Recently, though, it seems (anecdotally) that he's had more 40+ minute games. Tonight he played over 42 minutes.

He doesn't look tired, so far. He played his best ball in the 4th quarter. But how long can he go like this?/QUOTE]

I can see where minutes effect fourth quarter performance, however I don't understand how 5 minutes of exercise would effect a pro athlete beyond that singular game.

PR07
01-12-2011, 01:32 AM
To be fair though, it's not like Danny is exactly Mr. Durable either.

CableKC
01-12-2011, 02:44 AM
To be fair....this is his first game that he's played in 7 games ( about 2 weeks ago ).

I'd still trade for him if we have the chance, he's a much better creator on the offensive end then Granger is and is a much better defender.

CableKC
01-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Is this pace sustainable? Who knows. But do you play Granger only 37 minutes a night and settle for these close losses? Tough decision.
Not a tough decision for me. I'd play Granger 35 minutes and give the rest of the leftover minutes to PG. Win or lose, I'd be okay with that cuz it simply means that PG is actually playing.

BringJackBack
01-12-2011, 05:49 AM
The most encouraging thing so far is that Danny hasn't injured an ankle or foot yet and he's playing heavy minutes. It's good when he's consistently healthy throughout the full season.

johndozark
01-12-2011, 06:32 AM
I would regularly start Rush and Granger as the wings and cap each at 36 minutes, although unless they are playing badly, that should include playing most of the fourth quarter. Dunleavy, George, and the active options among D. Jones, Stephenson, and rarely Posey would fill the remaining minutes. I would rarely play without a true power forward precisely to prevent Granger having to take the beating there.

I believe that, over the whole season, this rotation would prove valuable for the durability and development of the team, and I believe that Danny would play strongly more steadily.

Unclebuck
01-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Just for context Danny is 20th in the NBA in minutes per game.

MyFavMartin
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
To be fair though, it's not like Danny is exactly Mr. Durable either.

:twss:

McKeyFan
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Just for context Danny is 20th in the NBA in minutes per game.
Sounds about right. He's probably around the 20th best player in the league.

DaveP63
01-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I'd be concerned about the effect over the course of the season, but it may end up averaging out. Depends on whether or not JOB starts using him like a rented mule.

Trader Joe
01-12-2011, 11:01 AM
The biggest lie Jim told so far this year was that Rush returning would allow Danny to take on a smaller work load.

Justin Tyme
01-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Iggy has been injured of late and never got in the game flow. I thought this was a major reason why the 76ers lost the game. So no I don't think it's fair to say it hurt his chances of being traded to Indiana. Bird knows what he can do as a player, and a poor game doesn't change Bird's overall view of Iggy.

Personally, I'd be all in favor of an Iggy trade to the Pacers especially if it brought Marreese Speights with it.

Justin Tyme
01-12-2011, 12:03 PM
like a rented mule.

A quote resurected by a Farmersburg Plowboy. ;)

How's that for a team name, Plowboys!?!?

OR

Cory AppleBoys
Epson Salts
Midland Middies

DaveP63
01-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Roger that!

Don't forget the Pimento Peppers!