PDA

View Full Version : the future of paul george

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 05:37 PM
many sources before and after the draft said that paul george is going to become a big star in the league in 3-5 years

i look at him and i see a rudy gay type of player

one who is athletic, can get to the basket for a dunk, takes open shots, steals the ball, hustles on the offensive and defensive ends

according a few sources hes also compared to danny granger and i can see it too

hes a shooter and defensive player like danny

the future wing lineup of those 2 is very exciting to think about

but im asking will he surpass, equal, or finish below danny granger's talent

just your opinion

spazzxb
01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
we need a to early to tell option. I didn't vote.

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 05:44 PM
we need a to early to tell option. I didn't vote.

just your opinion

IndyHoosier
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I voted below because I have nothing to go with on the other two options. I will start with low expectations and hopefully they will increase as I get to see him play more.

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 05:50 PM
way above in my view he will be a way better scorer and defender and does all the little things right.

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 05:53 PM
way above in my view he will be a way better scorer and defender and does all the little things right.

you think he'll be a way better leader than danny?

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
i shoud've put up a not sure yet option but if you're undecided just say that you are

SMosley21
01-11-2011, 06:02 PM

It wouldn't take much. What leadership qualities has Danny shown? Roy has been here 3 seasons and has already assumed more of a leadership role than Danny.

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 06:04 PM
It wouldn't take much. What leadership qualities has Danny shown? Roy has been here 3 seasons and has already assumed more of a leadership role than Danny.

this is dc's first season here and he looks to be more of a leader than danny also

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 06:05 PM

IDK he was leading Fresno but thats not much. Thats the one part of his game im not sure about. He would be more lead by example than by talking

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 06:08 PM
IDK he was leading Fresno but thats not much. Thats the one part of his game im not sure about. He would be more lead by example than by talking

much like roy and dc have shown so far

also outside of the pacers rudy gay doesnt seem like much of a talker but he leads that team by example and makes every needed shot and does the small things

DGPR
01-11-2011, 06:12 PM
With all of the tools Paul George has I expect him to start becoming a perennial All-Star 3 years from now.

xIndyFan
01-11-2011, 06:21 PM
With all of the tools Paul George has I expect him to start becoming a perennial All-Star 3 years from now.

i agree. in three years, paul george will be the best player in his draft class. :happydanc

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 06:23 PM

I said that after his 1st 5 games at Fresno sophomore yr

Mackey_Rose
01-11-2011, 06:25 PM

For a guy who is the "captain," I really can't imagine anyone being as poor of a leader as Danny Granger.

Hibbert, Collison, McRoberts, Dunleavy, Posey, Foster, Ford, D. Jones, and Price are all better vocal leaders than Granger.

Several of those guys plus Hansbrough, are all better leaders by example.

There are many questions yet to be determined as far as whether or not George can be a better player in 3-5 years. But the issue of leadership is definitely not one of them.

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 06:27 PM
so what will this mean for danny in the future if paul, mainly a SF will surpass him

we also have brandon who is going to get even better than he is now

if we dont have danny anymore this is what our starting lineup would look like based on the young core we have so far

pg collison
sg rush
sf george
pf hansbrough
c hibbert

cdash
01-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Lots of optimism about a guy who has proven very little in college or the NBA. I like him, but he has got a loooong way to go before reaching Danny's level. Until I see signs that he is putting it together (which is a ways away and not entirely fair to PG given the opportunities he's allowed), I have to go with under DG's level.

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 06:30 PM
so what will this mean for danny in the future if paul, mainly a SF will surpass him

we also have brandon who is going to get even better than he is now

if we dont have danny anymore this is what our starting lineup would look like based on the young core we have so far

pg collison
sg rush
sf george
pf hansbrough
c hibbert

I really see Paul as a Sg ive been watching him for awhile and i really like him better at the SG.

I want to know what Hoops guy thinks is his best postion I love him at the SG.

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I really see Paul as a Sg ive been watching him for awhile and i really like him better at the SG.

I want to know what Hoops guy thinks is his best postion I love him at the SG.

thats what we're probably going to do mostly in the future is have paul at SG and danny at SF with brandon coming off the bench

works out well

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Lots of optimism about a guy who has proven very little in college or the NBA. I like him, but he has got a loooong way to go before reaching Danny's level. Until I see signs that he is putting it together (which is a ways away and not entirely fair to PG given the opportunities he's allowed), I have to go with under DG's level.

Just wait tell he starts shooting like he does at Fresno u will see why im so high on the guy

cdash
01-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Just wait tell he starts shooting like he does at Fresno u will see why im so high on the guy

I know he has a beautiful shot, good athleticism, and all the physical tools required to be a sensational player. I just haven't seen the production or the intelligence yet.

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I know he has a beautiful shot, good athleticism, and all the physical tools required to be a sensational player. I just haven't seen the production or the intelligence yet.

he really hasnt had a chance to play his game

spazzxb
01-11-2011, 06:48 PM
just your opinion

sure is, I just wanted to be able to vote. For some reason I guess you don't want this common opinion to be an option. I prefer polls with accurate relevant results but to each his own.

cdash
01-11-2011, 06:54 PM
he really hasnt had a chance to play his game

Even in college he wasn't setting the world on fire. The WAC is pretty weak, and he was only a second team all-conference player? I'm not dogging on the guy, as I said earlier I like him, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Trophy
01-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I think he'll be a 20+ ppg player and will do more than Danny, but he can Danny are going to work well with each other.

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Even in college he wasn't setting the world on fire. The WAC is pretty weak, and he was only a second team all-conference player? I'm not dogging on the guy, as I said earlier I like him, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Fresno he play with a pretty bad team so he had to do everything too much.

cdash
01-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Fresno he play with a pretty bad team so he had to do everything too much.

Shouldn't that have meant his numbers would have been better?

Heisenberg
01-11-2011, 07:11 PM
What's up with him only being in his 2nd (right?) year of playing the wing that I've read a few times? I never watched him at Fresno, I don't doubt him being recruited as a big, but his freshman year he didn't play the wing? I can't see anything about him that says he was an actual post, even in the WAC.

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 07:14 PM
What's up with him only being in his 2nd (right?) year of playing the wing that I've read a few times? I never watched him at Fresno, I don't doubt him being recruited as a big, but his freshman year he didn't play the wing? I can't see anything about him that says he was an actual post, even in the WAC.

he started playing wing his somophore yr and didnt play much AAu thats why he wasnt recruit anywhere . Danny was the same way in not playing AAU.

Heisenberg
01-11-2011, 07:15 PM
he started playing wing his somophore yr and didnt play much AAu thats why he wasnt recruit anywhere . Danny was the same way in not playing AAU.

So you saw some of him his freshman year? How was he utilized?

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Shouldn't that have meant his numbers would have been better?

No he had to do way to much. His numbers would have been better if he had a decent pg. He pretty much created for himself because he was the best ball handler/ decsion maker on the team.

spazzxb
01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
i shoud've put up a not sure yet option but if you're undecided just say that you are

can't you add options?

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 07:18 PM
So you saw some of him his freshman year? How was he utilized?

I started watching him his sophmore yr but Hoops Guy watch him his freshmen yr so maybe ask him. But i remember servral times the broadcasters said it was his first yr playing wing.

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 07:22 PM
The reason he left Fresno was because he felt he his teammates didnt want to win as much as him that shows leadership. I belive him also because he was a projected 2nd rder why come out early

dlewyus
01-11-2011, 07:28 PM
George has the physical tools. His success will depend on his inner drive to succeed and how hard he is willing to work at it. (Hibbert has this, but not so much the physical tools.) All great players are never satisfied and are always working hard to improve their game.

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
George has the physical tools. His success will depend on his inner drive to succeed and how hard he is willing to work at it. (Hibbert has this, but not so much the physical tools.) All great players are never satisfied and are always working hard to improve their game.

this

cdash
01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
No he had to do way to much. His numbers would have been better if he had a decent pg. He pretty much created for himself because he was the best ball handler/ decsion maker on the team.

I'm not meaning to call you out here, but how many of his collegiate games did you actually watch? Fresno State isn't on a great deal in our neck of the woods.

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm not meaning to call you out here, but how many of his collegiate games did you actually watch? Fresno State isn't on a great deal in our neck of the woods.

10-15 ive watch 10 washt st (Klay thomsen) games this yr. I have a collge basketball package and i have some web sites. I Watched USC UCLA the other night Malcome Lee didnt impress Honeycutt. USC had some quick pgs that were good. I get a crazy amout of collge games.

I will give u an example 2 nite at 10pm on channel 264 FCSP i get West Orgon vs St. Martin's on 262 FCSA i get Davidson vs West Carolina, plus about 20 more games mostly small schools. A lot of them on the west coast

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
speaking of collge games UCONN Rutgers just came on 266 SNY a new york channel i think

BlueNGold
01-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I am more excited about Paul than I was when Danny came into the league. He's a lot younger than Danny, a lot smoother, a lot quicker, better naturally at rebounding the ball. He will play above the rim while Danny plays below it. He is a confident and aggressive player who...once he starts draining shots...he will not stop shooting it. He just appears to have a higher ceiling. But yes, it's impossible to know how it will turn out.

PaulGeorge24
01-12-2011, 07:06 AM
He only got 3:40 of playing time against the Pacers. Him being Paul George, he did manage to register a STEAL and score a bucket in his limited PT.

It frustrates me to see our young guys sitting on the bench for the majority of the game.

hoops_guy
01-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Based on pure talent, shooting stroke, size and length, youth, and fluidity he has the opportunity to be on tier with the very best in the league. It's an opportunity though and if he doesn't go through with it than that is too bad. His athleticism, shooting stroke, and student of the game approach is a ridiculous combination for a 20 year old that is just starting to get it.

pacer4ever
01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMxRujknkzc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMxRujknkzc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

pre draft interview

I like what he says here. He likes the ball in his hands(which we dont do also i think we should post him up some) and also some more nice info. The kid has a great head on his shoulders.

xBulletproof
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
pre draft interview

**** that video.

He's wearing a T'Wolves jersey. :)

xIndyFan
01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Based on pure talent, shooting stroke, size and length, youth, and fluidity [paul george] has the opportunity to be on tier with the very best in the league. It's an opportunity though and if he doesn't go through with it than that is too bad. His athleticism, shooting stroke, and student of the game approach is a ridiculous combination for a 20 year old that is just starting to get it.

:iagree:

90'sNBARocked
01-14-2011, 01:02 AM

yep that

I learned my lesson the first time with Rush

Takin the wait and see approach

90'sNBARocked
01-14-2011, 01:07 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMxRujknkzc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMxRujknkzc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

pre draft interview

I like what he says here. He likes the ball in his hands(which we dont do also i think we should post him up some) and also some more nice info. The kid has a great head on his shoulders.

nice clip and it made me think

who will be the better pro

Paul George or Wesley Johnson?

90'sNBARocked
01-14-2011, 01:17 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-georgedraft062210
By Marc J. Spears,

Rewind Selector

The scout wasn’t backing down. In five years, he said, the best player from the 2010 NBA draft won’t be John Wall.

Evan Turner?

Nope.

DeMarcus Cousins?

Nope.
More From Marc J. Spears

Derrick Favors?

Nope.

“In five years,” the Eastern Conference scout said, “Paul George will be the best player to come out of this draft.

“Trust me.”

Paul George?

Unless you’re a well-studied draftnik or hail from Fresno, Calif., chances are you haven’t heard too much about George – if you’ve heard of him at all. That’s OK with George. He’s about to go from relatively anonymous to relatively rich on Thursday, when he’s projected as a possible lottery pick in the draft.

And if you listen to the 20-year-old George – who clearly isn’t lacking for confidence – his climb toward stardom won’t end there.

“I feel like I have all the intangibles, all the tools to be one of the best players not only in this draft, but to play in this game,” George said. “It’s something I’m really taking to heart. My dream is to not only get drafted – that’s a goal of mine – but my dream is to someday be a legend at this game. I want to work to be that.”

Before George elevates himself to legend, he’ll need to introduce himself to NBA fans.

George grew up in Palmdale, Calif., in north central Los Angeles County. Among the past and present notable residents listed on Palmdale’s Wikipedia entry are John Wayne, Marion Jones and Debbie Rowe, the former wife of Michael Jackson. Craig Brackins, the junior Iowa State power forward who is projected to go in the draft’s second round, also is listed. As of Tuesday morning, George wasn’t.

George, who grew up as a fan of the Los Angeles Clippers, not the Lakers, averaged 25 points and 12 rebounds as a senior at Knight High School. He received scholarship offers from Georgetown and Penn State, but instead chose Fresno State. The decision paid off when he received enough playing time to average 14.3 points and 6.2 rebounds as a freshman.

By the time George’s sophomore year arrived, NBA scouts were already familiar with his athleticism and ability to play all three perimeter positions. One scout likened him to Tracy McGrady(notes) in terms of skills and demeanor. Listed at 6-foot-8 and 215 pounds, George averaged a team-best 16.6 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.2 steals while making 90.6 percent of his free throws as a sophomore. But he also averaged 3.2 turnovers and was inconsistent, scoring more than 20 points in nine games and fewer than 10 in four others – including a scoreless performance against rival San Jose State in front of several NBA scouts. The Bulldogs finished just 15-18 and didn’t play past the first round of the Western Athletic Conference tournament.

“He could be the best in his class,” a Western Conference NBA scout said. “He can also be the biggest bust, too. He went to Fresno State, but he didn’t set the place on fire. I question whether he understands what it takes to be a star, but I’m not saying he won’t.”

Said an Eastern Conference scout: “Scoring comes easy to him. If he played with a high motor he’d be top five. But even at his pace, he does a lot of things easy.”

Those scouts aren’t the only ones to question George’s energy and effort. It sounds as if he’s aware of the criticism as well. “At this next level,” he said, “you have to bring it every night.”

Along with George’s versatility and athleticism, his size and length have helped him move up draft boards. He stands nearly 6-9 in shoes and his wingspan measures 6-11. Every lottery team from eight through 14, with exception of the New Orleans Hornets, has worked him out.

“I’m just showing my full capabilities,” George said. “I’m showing I can defend. I have the ball-handling to make plays. I’m showing everything that I couldn’t show at Fresno and didn’t show. I think that’s really what is catching their eyes. I can be a complete package.”

Apparently, a few other people think so too. George received one of the NBA’s 16 invites to sit in the green room on draft night. His father, Paul George Sr., had promised to come to New York if George received an invitation. The elder George is scared of flying and wanted to save his first flight for something special. This qualifies.

“For him to take that flight to New York to get to see me in that moment, that would mean the world to me and my family,” George said. “I got so much riding on this. I got the whole city of Palmdale supporting me.”

George isn’t the only player in this year’s draft who either starred at an unheralded program or was obscured by the depth on his team’s roster. Here are nine more who figure to shed some of their anonymity on draft night.

Ekpe Udoh, Baylor, PF-C – Scout’s take: He doesn’t have a huge upside, but he is a quality big man who should be a solid pro for a long time. Might be the oldest player drafted at 23. A possible top 10 pick.

Luke Babbitt, Nevada, SF – Scout’s take: He’s a highly skilled offensive player and scorer. Has good size and can rebound. Athletic, tough. Can play both forward positions. Will need to improve defensively.

Larry Sanders, Virginia Commonwealth, PF-C – Scout’s take: He’s long and athletic. His tremendous wingspan helps him as a shot-blocker. He’s only played the game five, six years. Has an average back-to-basket game.

Eric Bledsoe, Kentucky, PG – Scout’s take: Lost in shadow of John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins at Kentucky. Decent shooter and defender. Tough, but will need to play point guard.

Dominique Jones, South Florida, SG – Scout’s take: Might be draft’s biggest sleeper. Combo guard. Aggressive scorer. Tough physically, mentally. Good athlete. Not a playmaker. Big question: What position is he?

Solomon Alabi, Florida State, C – Scout’s take: Smart player, but his game – both offensively and defensively – is still raw. Has extremely good size. This is a gamble pick.

Kevin Seraphin, Cholet (France), C – Scout’s take: Effort-type big man with good hustle and energy. Somewhat undersized at 6-9. Cut in the mold of Paul Millsap(notes) and Brandon Bass(notes). Should be drafted in the 20s.

Hassan Whiteside, Marshall, C – Scout’s take: Raw, shot-blocking big man who has risen from obscurity. Good athlete who can run the floor. There are questions about his knowledge of the game.

Tibor Pleiss, Brose Baskets Bamberg (Germany), 7-0, 220 pounds – Scout’s take: Could drop to the second round and play overseas next season. Nice body and skilled, but not ready to help an NBA team now.

pacer4ever
01-14-2011, 01:28 AM
yep that

I learned my lesson the first time with Rush

Takin the wait and see approach

Rush was a safe pick. Most people viewed Rush as a solid role player but didnt have star or superstar poetential. I love Rush still he is what i expected really good defense his offense still needs work but he is a really solid player.

pacer4ever
01-14-2011, 01:30 AM
No I am not that scout just so u guys know:D

But i share his view

Day-V
01-14-2011, 07:03 AM
I chose above Danny's level just for his activity on defense as a rookie. Hopefully he doesn't regress like Danny did once Ron left.

ballism
01-14-2011, 08:08 AM
If he just gets to Trevor Ariza level, I'll be very pleased with that pick.

pacer4ever
02-04-2012, 02:54 AM

:bump: Now you believe me and see why I was so high on him??

cdash
02-04-2012, 03:00 AM
:bump: Now you believe me and see why I was so high on him??

Yep. You are clearly a prophet.

rexnom
02-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Didn't he change his shooting mechanics in the offseason?

RLeWorm
02-04-2012, 03:44 AM
really? i know you aren't suppose to post duplicate threads but y go back to a year old thread? thats getting ridiculous

Foul on Smits
02-04-2012, 04:04 AM
The future is so bright, I gotta wear shades.

FireTheCoach
02-04-2012, 04:46 AM
This kids gonna be a freakin super star. He's got every tool in the box... his only downside is his ball handling, and relative inexperience... other than that, he just might be the greatest Pacer we've been privileged to watch play ball when it's all said and done.

I just can't say enough good things about him.... and the old timers on PD know that I don't throw out compliments very often. Paul George is the real deal.

BlueNGold
02-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I am more excited about Paul than I was when Danny came into the league. He's a lot younger than Danny, a lot smoother, a lot quicker, better naturally at rebounding the ball. He will play above the rim while Danny plays below it. He is a confident and aggressive player who...once he starts draining shots...he will not stop shooting it. He just appears to have a higher ceiling. But yes, it's impossible to know how it will turn out.

...and I must say, I have not changed my opinion one bit. ...other than I think it's now getting a little more possible to know where he's going...and it's good news for Pacer fans.

Steagles
02-06-2012, 09:49 AM
He is going to be a perrinneal all-star in a few years. I love that thought, but I'm also afraid of that. What if he grows an ego and forces his way into a big market?

Haywoode Workman
02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
really? i know you aren't suppose to post duplicate threads but y go back to a year old thread? thats getting ridiculous

why does this bother you? seriously, why? is it not interesting to go back and see what people said in older threads? is it taking away from your experience here at Pacers Digest? seriously man, are you okay? get well soon.

Ace E.Anderson
02-06-2012, 01:25 PM
If he just gets to Trevor Ariza level, I'll be very pleased with that pick.

What? He's better than Ariza NOW. Better shooter, rebounder, defender, shot creator. Yeah, he's better NOW

BringJackBack
02-06-2012, 05:34 PM
I'll tell you what... What Paul did to Dwight Howard to get that and1 the other night, only extremely gifted basketball players can do that. Only the greatest of athletes with size can do that.