PDA

View Full Version : If Tyler is Legit

BornReady#6
01-11-2011, 02:58 PM
So if Tyler continues to play well at the 4, and he becomes our legit starter, where does that leave us need wise?

I think we can all agree that this is our core:
pgs: Collison and Price
sgs: Rush and Lance
sfs: Danny and Paul
pfs: Tyler and McBob
Cs: Roy

And these are our expendables:
pgs: Ford
sgs: Dunleavy, Dahntay
sfs: Posey
pfs: Solo
cs: Foster

So does the development of Tyler and his solidification as our 4 (this is a theoretical proposal) mean that we are out of the hunt for a David West/ ZBO type player this off season? Also if Paul George develops into a Rudy Gay type player, and caliber of player, does that take us out of the hunt for a star to play next to Granger? And if both of these things pan out with these two where are we this off season? It seems that we have a young talented team, that doesnt need any starters, and could save a ton of money, or spend it on the best coach money can buy. And what type of player should we go for in the draft? I say the best available player at whatever pick we land. What are your thoughts?

SMosley21
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I think you always have to pick the best player available in any draft. If that player is not at a position of need for you, then you use that player as a trade chip.

Unclebuck
01-11-2011, 03:07 PM
My honest and immediate answer to your question: If Tyler is the answer, then Roy probably isn't the answer at center.

I need to give that more thought, maybe Ty and Roy could work

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
My honest and immediate answer to your question: If Tyler is the answer, then Roy probably isn't the answer at center.

I need to give that more thought, maybe Ty and Roy could work

I am not sure, I know it was summer league but didn't they play well during that time?

SMosley21
01-11-2011, 03:13 PM
I am not sure, I know it was summer league but didn't they play well during that time?

Yep, summer league right after Tyler got drafted they played very well together.

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Yep, summer league right after Tyler got drafted they played very well together.

Thanks

I think they could play well together. What Roy needs next to him, in my opinion, is a bruising PF who can rebound

Roy his name is Tyler, and until we get a "stud" PF, he is the best we got

ballism
01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Well that cap space will eventually be gone with extensions/annual salary raises/new draft picks/roster fillers. So, we still need to spend it this offseason or sometime in the near future. I still want a great big man. Tyler can be a Taj Gibson off the bench if he keeps this up - it's not a bad thing to have cheap legit starters coming off the bench.

Unclebuck
01-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't consider summer league.

MyFavMartin
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Need: A guy who can create his own shot. Hopefully, that would be Rush or George, in due time.

Also, at least, a PF/C rotational front court player-type.

Of course, I agree with BPA philosophy in drafts, but a stud FC player with low post offense would be nice.

This team is chaulk full of young talent. It'll be nice to see the team grow together and mature... but it's not going to happen over night.

Patience.

(And, yes, JOB is gone after this season.)

Hicks
01-11-2011, 03:53 PM
My concern with Roy and Tyler is that even if they both ultimately prove to be good enough to be starters, they still will likely be the worst of the best, so to speak. Good enough to say "yeah, I can see why they start", but not better than most other starters in the league. The NBA is a very tough place.

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
My concern with Roy and Tyler is that even if they both ultimately prove to be good enough to be starters, they still will likely be the worst of the best, so to speak. Good enough to say "yeah, I can see why they start", but not better than most other starters in the league. The NBA is a very tough place.

Good point

What I would expand to say is that we need at least one of them (PF or Center) to be a stud

Tyler has this horribly nagging effect to make one , like myself, warm up to the idea that he is and can be better than the so-called "experts" said (myself included)
Roy is still better than 60% of the Centers in the league, and Tyler is proving he belongs here

A stud? probably not. An above average PF? Possibly

pizza guy
01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
If Tyler and PG24 develop and reach the potential we feel they have, that leaves us in need of a new coach and backups who are not TJ, Dun, or Posey.

If George really does become a star, I think you play him and Danny together, with George at the 2, and let Rush come off the bench.

DC/AJ
George/Rush
Granger
Tyler/McRoberts
Hibbert/Foster

Unless you can use the expirings in a trade, or lure a big FA with the cap space, I think you find a coach who fits the players' strengths and let them all grow and improve together because I think there's enough talent there to be a very good team.

Dr. Awesome
01-11-2011, 04:01 PM
I love Tyler, have since his first game at UNC. However, I said it before he even came in the NBA, at best he is one of the best sixth men in the league. You don't want a guy like Tyler as your starter, as a starter he is below average, as a bench player he is above average.

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I love Tyler, have since his first game at UNC. However, I said it before he even came in the NBA, at best he is one of the best sixth men in the league. You don't want a guy like Tyler as your starter, as a starter he is below average, as a bench player he is above average.

I know its early, and generally agree but

I think Tyler is already an average PF, and could end up being slightly above average

22 and 12 against the Spurs front line is not an accident

D-BONE
01-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Do people really think Rush will eventually be go - to material as the "own shot creator"? I suppose he's still got room for improvement, but that sounds like another way of saying star or go to guy...neither of which do I think he'll be. More like solid role player.

The George suggestion for that need is more open, but I'm not going to count on it.

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Do people really think Rush will eventually be go - to material as the "own shot creator"? I suppose he's still got room for improvement, but that sounds like another way of saying star or go to guy...neither of which do I think he'll be. More like solid role player.

The George suggestion for that need is more open, but I'm not going to count on it.

No I personally dont

In fact I believe our greatest need is NOT PF but having a player that can take over a game down the stretch, who possess the ability to break down his defender one on one to get a good shot/pass

SMosley21
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM
No I personally dont

In fact I believe our greatest need is NOT PF but having a player that can take over a game down the stretch, who possess the ability to break down his defender one on one to get a good shot/pass

Darren Collison has proven that he can break down his man and get a good shot AND hit them consistently. Problem is, he usually isn't playing at the end of the game.

BornReady#6
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
If Tyler and PG24 develop and reach the potential we feel they have, that leaves us in need of a new coach and backups who are not TJ, Dun, or Posey.

If George really does become a star, I think you play him and Danny together, with George at the 2, and let Rush come off the bench.

DC/AJ
George/Rush
Granger
Tyler/McRoberts
Hibbert/Foster

Unless you can use the expirings in a trade, or lure a big FA with the cap space, I think you find a coach who fits the players' strengths and let them all grow and improve together because I think there's enough talent there to be a very good team.

This is my sentiment exactly! Given the recent success of guys like David West, Kevin Love, David Lee, etc.. I think Tyler has as good of a chance as anyone to be a star in this league. He has the body for it, and heart of a champion. I really like our young guys and think that Roy and Tyler are our future down there, and just like you said PG24 a star with Rush backing him up.

But considering all things, I would still love to get Kevin Love, and play Tyler behind him.

xIndyFan
01-11-2011, 05:22 PM
if tyler is legit, then the pacers have a solid rotation.

PG - collison/price
SG/SF - granger/rush/george [probably]
PF/C - hibbert/tyler/josh[maybe]

that leave a couple of question marks in paul george and josh mcroberts. if we assume that they are legit NBA rotation guys, then the pacers are a playoff team for the next 5 yrs or so easy.

to get any better, the pacers will need better players than the ones they have. trades can be made, but made from a position of strength instead of need. draft choices can be the best player available instead of positional or trying to 'hit a home run' type picks. pacers don't have to settle for zbo or west, they can wait for a horford to come on the market.

Kegboy
01-11-2011, 05:23 PM
22 and 12 against the Spurs front line is not an accident

Maybe not an accident per se, but certainly mitigated by the Spurs not scouting him.

IF Tyler were to continue playing so well, our front court rotation is still extremely weak. I'd rather have Tyler as a luxury coming off the bench behind a rock solid beast of a 4.

xIndyFan
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
IF Tyler were to continue playing so well, our front court rotation is still extremely weak. I'd rather have Tyler as a luxury coming off the bench behind a rock solid beast of a 4.

me too. :happydanc

imawhat
01-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't consider summer league.

Playing well together is not an accident.

Summer league is rather meaningless in a lot of ways, but not in this way.

xIndyFan
01-11-2011, 05:30 PM
it remains to be seen if tyler and roy work well together. since they are the starting bigs right now, we will get that chance.

spazzxb
01-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Hibbert will never be a 4 and
tyler will never be a 5. Josh is a 4 who can play five ,but only if the opposing center is undersized. You can't call those three a rotation. Granger is also more of a 3/4 for than a 2/3.

if tyler is legit, then the pacers have a solid rotation.

PG - collison/price
SG/SF - granger/rush/george [probably]
PF/C - hibbert/tyler/josh[maybe]

that leave a couple of question marks in paul george and josh mcroberts. if we assume that they are legit NBA rotation guys, then the pacers are a playoff team for the next 5 yrs or so easy.

to get any better, the pacers will need better players than the ones they have. trades can be made, but made from a position of strength instead of need. draft choices can be the best player available instead of positional or trying to 'hit a home run' type picks. pacers don't have to settle for zbo or west, they can wait for a horford to come on the market.

SMosley21
01-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Since being put in the starting lineup, Tyler's averages are

28 mpg
15 ppg
8.67 rpg
1 spg
54% FG
84% FT

Not too shabby.

Justin Tyme
01-12-2011, 12:06 PM
The Pacers still need a good quality starting PF. Preferably one who can play the 5 as well. I don't see the Pacers having the PF of the future on their current roster.

I have really been down on DC, and last night he looked like the PG the Pacers need for the future. Was his play good b/c he plays well against former teammates or is this what should be expected? I'm not sure, but if the Pacers can draft a really good PG, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Price is nice, but I'm not that enthralled with him being the answer either. Maybe, if I got to watch Price play consistant minutes, it would would make me feel differently. Something that tends to bother me about Price is his prone to injuries in his career. Burnt once twice shy.... Bender. I'm not even confident Hans won't have an injury re-occurance. Then throw in the last few years of Dun and Foster injuries makes me gun shy of players with injury history.

NapTonius Monk
01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
If what Tyler has been bringing is the norm for him going forward, I think our biggest need is for Roy to step up. If he gets back to what he was bringing when the season started, and Tyler keeps playing at this level, we'll start winning again. We could also use a bit more firepower/stability at the 2. Here's hopin George is the guy!

bphil
01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I think they could play well together. What Roy needs next to him, in my opinion, is a bruising PF who can rebound

Not to derail the thread, but I personally think that the only thing Roy needs right now is to start making his hook shots consistently again. When he's on he can sink those with either hand which pretty much makes him unstoppable.

I think his problem right now is that defenders have figured out that they can get up under him and throw off his base so he can't go straight up which is killing him. Once (if?) he figures out how to counter that, he'll be a beast and it won't matter who's playing PF with him.