PDA

View Full Version : How will Colts ouster affect Pacers?

McKeyFan
01-10-2011, 04:51 PM
I live in Tennessee. Not a Colts fan.

But I am wondering what you guys think will be the effect of the Colts loss this weekend on the Pacers?

Will the anger get projected on the P's? Or will the Pacers get a new thrust of support as the only pro team left to cheer for this year?

Really?
01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Neither... no effect at all...Pacers are who they are and the Colts keep coming up short, feelings for the two will never be coupled IMO

Kstat
01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Why would the colts exiting a few weeks earlier than normal significantly change anything?

SMosley21
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM
I would be willing to bet money that the Colts STILL get more local press than the Pacers over the course of the next month or more.

Sollozzo
01-10-2011, 05:06 PM
I would be willing to bet money that the Colts STILL get more local press than the Pacers over the course of the next month or more.

They will.

The Manning contract and the the looming lockout which would also cost Indy the Super Bowl is more than enough to talk about for a while.

Basketball Fan
01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
I can fully devote myself to the Pacers although I'll probably end up making references of how these two teams need to not hire coaches named Jim.

Trophy
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I'd assume the Pacers have the spotlight on them now that the Colts are done.

The Pacers need to get better and at one point this season, from what I've read the Pacers were the main talk.

Kstat
01-10-2011, 05:25 PM

and with Manning's impending free agency, they should.

SMosley21
01-10-2011, 05:29 PM
and with Manning's impending free agency, they should.

If anyone had any fear at all that Manning would actually sign elsewhere, then that would probably be a huge story. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he'll be with the Colts until he's done with football, especially since Polian and Irsay have both said that they will do whatever they have to in order to make sure he's the highest paid player in the NFL.

Kstat
01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Still ,the fact remains anything Peyton manning does is a bigger story than anything the Pacers are doing right now. That's partly not their fault, but it's the facts.

Scot Pollard
01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
wins = more interest = higher attendance.....like ive always said and the obvious fact

people are nervous that this may be the last time peyton is in a colts uniform

it wouldnt hurt if the pacers were to start winning and playing like they did earlier this year that would still draw interest

i live in indy but im not a colt fan but its good for the city if both the colts and pacers are a playoff contender

im sure everyone would be thrilled for that

Really?
01-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I'd assume the Pacers have the spotlight on them now that the Colts are done.

The Pacers need to get better and at one point this season, from what I've read the Pacers were the main talk.

They won't have any spotlight on them until they start winning consistently, the only time they have spot light on them is when they make a trade, draft a player, or play their first game of the season...

SMosley21
01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
wins = more interest = higher attendance.....like ive always said and the obvious fact

people are nervous that this may be the last time peyton is in a colts uniform

it wouldnt hurt if the pacers were to start winning and playing like they did earlier this year that would still draw interest

i live in indy but im not a colt fan but its good for the city if both the colts and pacers are a playoff contender

im sure everyone would be thrilled for that

According to who?

Kstat
01-10-2011, 05:53 PM
If the franchise tag is thrown out of the next CBA, just wait for the panic to set in....Manning's agent will set up meetings with every team under the sun until the colts empty their pockets.

Scot Pollard
01-10-2011, 05:53 PM
According to who?

according to me

its always up in the air whether or not a player will return but i think he will for another 3 years and then ponder retirement

Basketball Fan
01-10-2011, 05:55 PM
According to who?

There are no guarantees that he'll come back I think he will but I'm sure Packers fans thought Favre would be a Packer for life.

Niners fans thought Montana would be there forever.

Players who stay with one team their entire career like Reggie Miller are rare.

Besides he can't be happy with the epic fail that is Jim Caldwell and this team's infinite number of flameouts and he's solely blamed.

He's had his share of bad playoff games but there are games where he's done his part and the same problems that are never fixed with this team end up haunting us at the end... again.

Kstat
01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
The look on his face after the Colts called that bogus timeout was downright creepy...he could just mail that picture into contract negotiations and it would scare them enough.

Shade
01-10-2011, 05:59 PM
The Pacers will get a temporary bump in interest until fans see they still suck. Then things will return to normal.

Basketball Fan
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
The look on his face after the Colts called that bogus timeout was downright creepy...he could just mail that picture into contract negotiations and it would scare them enough.

I was hoping he would strangle Caldwell with his headset right then and there...

SMosley21
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM
according to me

its always up in the air whether or not a player will return but i think he will for another 3 years and then ponder retirement

If the franchise tag is thrown out of the next CBA, just wait for the panic to set in....Manning's agent will set up meetings with every team under the sun until the colts empty their pockets.

The Colts have already said flat out, that they will make Peyton the highest paid player in the NFL. They already took away any power they had in negotiations so I highly doubt anyone is getting nervous. Peyton will be a Colt for the rest of his career.

Shade
01-10-2011, 08:21 PM

:laugh:

Sandman21
01-10-2011, 09:15 PM
The Pacers will get a temporary bump in interest until fans see they still suck. Then things will return to normal.

I think I heard more people calling for O'Brien's head on JMV today than in the last month or so combined.

Bball
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
There will be a few more eyes available to be opened by O'Brien's bad coaching...

Psyren
01-10-2011, 09:50 PM
No impact. The Indianapolis media couldn't care less about the Pacers.

The media will ignore the Pacers as usual, and we'll still be irrelevant here in our home city.

MyFavMartin
01-10-2011, 11:11 PM
The timeout was stupid.

And they could always franchise tag him, but they will pay him a huge check. Peyton could help the team out and give a discount, but I don't see that happening. He's done right by Indy with his charity work and he's a proven All Star QB, best in the league: You pay him.

hoops_guy
01-11-2011, 06:37 AM
No impact. The Indianapolis media couldn't care less about the Pacers.

The media will ignore the Pacers as usual, and we'll still be irrelevant here in our home city.

I had a "meeting" yesterday and we, but not me, turned down Pacers tickets because according to most of my co-workers "they're all thugs and we can't support them by buying their tickets".

The media isn't doing a good job of showing what good our team has recently done in the community. Simple as that. Did we hear much about Boyle's 500 mile walk? How about when they all went to Steak & Shake? Or when Paul George went to the Indians game? Or what about the Kids Club or "Get Pacers Fit"? HOW ABOUT THE PACERS FOUNDATION FOR CRYING OUT LOUD?!

But no. How about lets put a story out about how Roy Hibbert is hazing our rookies? All we hear about on Sportslocker and sporting news sections on television is how we can't keep Lance out of trouble, Brandon Rush is a pothead, and Larry Bird can't control the players. I quit watching these weekend shows when they blatantly ignored the good Roy Hibbert has done with Area 55 by giving away so many tickets to talk about how to cut Brandon Rush because he's a stupid pothead.. They concluded that it would be stupid and he should have never been drafted (this was back in September, I believe).

Why does this matter? Well, 12 co-workers turned down tickets to a Pacers game because we are still thugs. How many tickets will the lack of covering the Pacers go to waste or not get bought due to lack of coverage from the media.

:twocents:

Unclebuck
01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Most people in central Indiana think all NBA players are thugs - so that means the Pacers.

I'm being 100% serious when I say that. it is what a good majority of people think. The period from 1994 through 2000 was the exception it was abnormal. what we have right now and before 1994 is the norm

Roaming Gnome
01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
To most people that make the ignorant comment that their still thugs wouldn't care if they had a team of "Candy Stripers" because they still feel justified to hold their dubious past against them.... At least until they start winning at a .750 clip and they are corrected by others that "they're not thugs anymore!"

It use to really bother me that people would get down on the team, but I've heard so many wise cracks and unadulterated bull over the last 6 years that I really don't care what the casuals think anymore.

It isn't going to change that I'm a Pacer fan and with me.... That's for Life!!!

Psyren
01-12-2011, 01:02 AM
I had a "meeting" yesterday and we, but not me, turned down Pacers tickets because according to most of my co-workers "they're all thugs and we can't support them by buying their tickets".

The media isn't doing a good job of showing what good our team has recently done in the community. Simple as that. Did we hear much about Boyle's 500 mile walk? How about when they all went to Steak & Shake? Or when Paul George went to the Indians game? Or what about the Kids Club or "Get Pacers Fit"? HOW ABOUT THE PACERS FOUNDATION FOR CRYING OUT LOUD?!

But no. How about lets put a story out about how Roy Hibbert is hazing our rookies? All we hear about on Sportslocker and sporting news sections on television is how we can't keep Lance out of trouble, Brandon Rush is a pothead, and Larry Bird can't control the players. I quit watching these weekend shows when they blatantly ignored the good Roy Hibbert has done with Area 55 by giving away so many tickets to talk about how to cut Brandon Rush because he's a stupid pothead.. They concluded that it would be stupid and he should have never been drafted (this was back in September, I believe).

Why does this matter? Well, 12 co-workers turned down tickets to a Pacers game because we are still thugs. How many tickets will the lack of covering the Pacers go to waste or not get bought due to lack of coverage from the media.

It's a shame that you work with people who are so misinformed.

Bball
01-12-2011, 11:59 AM

I'd be careful about placing all of the blame on the media and at least want to take a look at Pacers' marketing for some of that....

Hicks
01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I'd be careful about placing all of the blame on the media and at least want to take a look at Pacers' marketing for some of that....

Explain. I don't see what you mean.

thewholefnshow31
01-12-2011, 12:35 PM
It's a shame that you work with people who are so misinformed.

It is a shame, but it is not a surprise either.

The casual fan that the Pacers need to win back are not going to go out of the their way to learn about the team. They will just take what is presented to them by their local news or newspaper. When Fox 59 is talking about Rush's being a pothead, Hibbert is hazing rookies, or Lance's incident the casual fan just thinks oh they have not changed and continues on with their day.

The Pacers just have to start winning again and it will all go away. The Colts are consistent winners and the fans look past their punter take a dip in the canal or players driving drunk. When the Pacers win again the fans will forget about Jackson shooting his gun off at a strip club or Tinsley being shot at.

Indianapolis is just one of the worst fairweather cities I have ever seen. When Peyton retires and the Colts dip I guarantee that there will be a ton of "die hard" Colts fans will be gone.

Bball
01-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Explain. I don't see what you mean.

Before I totally blame the media for lack of coverage of things players do in the community I'd want to make sure the team had press releases first and foremost... and secondly that they made the releases interesting enough to use... that the media had prior warning an event was to take place... and third- that they keep the level of schmoozing high enough that their press releases don't get tossed out....

I'm sure some of the things that the team does, especially individually, they might prefer they not be advertised. Although, obviously, some things are done with the idea of spreading the word just for the good vibes they generate.

Also... timing... There probably wasn't a good time for much press coverage of any Pacer pr pieces during the NFL season. A feel good press release was always one Colt injury away from getting buried on Monday morning.

IOW... don't throw the media under the bus too much without knowing the rest of the story...

Roaming Gnome
01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Before I totally blame the media for lack of coverage of things players do in the community I'd want to make sure the team had press releases first and foremost... and secondly that they made the releases interesting enough to use... that the media had prior warning an event was to take place... and third- that they keep the level of schmoozing high enough that their press releases don't get tossed out....

I'm sure some of the things that the team does, especially individually, they might prefer they not be advertised. Although, obviously, some things are done with the idea of spreading the word just for the good vibes they generate.

Also... timing... There probably wasn't a good time for much press coverage of any Pacer pr pieces during the NFL season. A feel good press release was always one Colt injury away from getting buried on Monday morning.

IOW... don't throw the media under the bus too much without knowing the rest of the story...

Who says that PS&E doesn't do that??? The specific media outlet has to be interested to run with a Press Release. I've seen quite a few Pacer PR stories get buried in the last year alone.

Remember, everybody loves a winner... & ......If it bleeds, it leads!!

Hicks
01-12-2011, 02:30 PM

I would care to guess PS&E has their ducks in a row with what you're describing.

I would go on to say that the media ought not throw the Pacers under the bus without presenting the rest of the story to an otherwise ignorance viewership.

Bball
01-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Hicks and Gnome,
We're basically saying the same thing...

McKeyFan
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Bball,

I'm looking at your sig and avatar and mood. Just what exactly are you trying to communicate?

:zip:

Bball
01-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Bball,

I'm looking at your sig and avatar and mood. Just what exactly are you trying to communicate?

:zip:

Just wanting to show the level of support I have for Jim O'Brien...