PDA

View Full Version : 2 Former Pacers (Artest & Williams), have an altercation

SMosley21
01-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Thought this was rather funny to see.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LAvmMj8gs8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;col or2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LAvmMj8gs8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;col or2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Well at least we're not dealing with this stuff anymore, right?

:rolleyes:

BornReady#6
01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Anyone else notice how Ron went straight for the choke? Makes me wonder how abusive he is at home?

PaceBalls
01-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Anyone else notice how Ron went straight for the choke? Makes me wonder how abusive he is at home?

Seriously? C'mon man.

:picard:

joew8302
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM

Yes, such a ridiculous comment. How could anyone possibly draw the conclusion that a guy who goes for the neck like that isn't a true family man?

Please, if this was some random guy on the street instead of pro basketball players no one would care about that comment.

SMosley21
01-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes, such a ridiculous comment. How could anyone possibly draw the conclusion that a guy who goes for the neck like that isn't a true family man?

Please, if this was some random guy on the street instead of pro basketball players no one would care about that comment.

Wrong. Some of us are decent and don't cast that sort of judgment without having some sort of fact to base it around. I've got no reason to believe that he would take something that he would do in an altercation with a grown man, and apply that same force to the mother of his children.

Hicks
01-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Damn, Shawne looks a lot older now.

Dr. Awesome
01-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Damn, Shawne looks a lot older now.

Still dumb as a rock though...

...seriously, who gets into it with Ron Artest?

rock747
01-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Well at least we're not dealing with this stuff anymore, right?

:rolleyes:

Nope, now we deal with losing.

gummy
01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Wrong. Some of us are decent and don't cast that sort of judgment without having some sort of fact to base it around. I've got no reason to believe that he would take something that he would do in an altercation with a grown man, and apply that same force to the mother of his children.

Normally I'd back you up and say that's a pretty serious accusation to throw around, even in a joking manner, with just this video to back it up.

However, Ron does have domestic violence on his record. Remember back in 2007 when the Kings suspended him after he was arrested for and charged with domestic violence? He was accused of grabbing, pushing and slapping his wife during an argument and preventing her from calling 911. He worked out a deal with the DA where he plead no contest and was sentenced to 3 years probation, community service, a yearlong violence treatment program and a parenting class on the effects of domestic violence on young children.

You can definitely argue that "no contest" isn't the same as guilty, but it's not as if they guy doesn't have a history that leads all the way into the police station and courthouse here (and there were other domestic disturbance calls that didn't lead to charges). It's not completely crazy to go "there" when you see him do something like this.

Not really wanting to start a big drawn out discussion about domestic violence, just wanted to inject some factual context that many people seem to have forgotten about into the mix.

Williams looks sooo much older!

SMosley21
01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Normally I'd back you up and say that's a pretty serious accusation to throw around, even in a joking manner, with just this video to back it up.

However, Ron does have domestic violence on his record. Remember back in 2007 when the Kings suspended him after he was arrested for and charged with domestic violence? He was accused of grabbing, pushing and slapping his wife during an argument and preventing her from calling 911. He worked out a deal with the DA where he plead no contest and was sentenced to 3 years probation, community service, a yearlong violence treatment program and a parenting class on the effects of domestic violence on young children.

You can definitely argue that "no contest" isn't the same as guilty, but it's not as if they guy doesn't have a history that leads all the way into the police station and courthouse here (and there were other domestic disturbance calls that didn't lead to charges). It's not completely crazy to go "there" when you see him do something like this.

Not really wanting to start a big drawn out discussion about domestic violence, just wanted to inject some factual context that many people seem to have forgotten about into the mix.

Williams looks sooo much older!

Nice post. I'm all for presenting facts to back up a statement, so what you posted holds weight. For the other guy to elude to Ron abusing his wife, JUST based on the altercation with Williams though was ridiculous.

gummy
01-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Nice post. I'm all for presenting facts to back up a statement, so what you posted holds weight. For the other guy to elude to Ron abusing his wife, JUST based on the altercation with Williams though was ridiculous.

Yeah, agreed. His comment made me wonder if he had this stuff in mind when he said it, but who knows?

I bet there were a lot of people holding their breath when Ron put his hand around Shawne's neck. He's been on his best behavior these last few years but there's still that sense that you never know what might happen once things get rolling...at least that's how I feel when I see this kind of stuff from Ron.

joew8302
01-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Give me a break. We all know about Ron's history. This guys point about Ron going straight for the throat is legit, and it is not unreasonable to wonder about domestic situations based on this incident and his past.

I love people defending Ron Artest's character. Makes a ton of sense.

SMosley21
01-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Yeah, agreed. His comment made me wonder if he had this stuff in mind when he said it, but who knows?

I bet there were a lot of people holding their breath when Ron put his hand around Shawne's neck. He's been on his best behavior these last few years but there's still that sense that you never know what might happen once things get rolling...at least that's how I feel when I see this kind of stuff from Ron.

Ya can't help but feel that way.

http://i56.tinypic.com/v41bus.jpg

SMosley21
01-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Give me a break. We all know about Ron's history. This guys point about Ron going straight for the throat is legit, and it is not unreasonable to wonder about domestic situations based on this incident and his past.

I love people defending Ron Artest's character. Makes a ton of sense.

No one is defending Ron's character. I'm making a point that it is ridiculous to just jump to the conclusion that he's an abusive husband based solely on the altercation with Shawne Williams.

Trophy
01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
:inbeforethelock:

naptownmenace
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Reminded me of the time Dale Davis tried to choke Olden Polynice out.

The difference is that DD vs Polynice was a fairly even fight. What's Shawne doing trying to start something with Ron Artest? Get him ejected? If so, good play. If not, just another bad decision made by Mr. Williams.

mildlysane
01-11-2011, 01:21 PM
"Former Indiana Pacers Ron Artest and Shawne Williams got into an altercation today, igniting memories of the Brawl in Detroit....."-Media

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
hey id rather deal with our current young team than these sick minded thugs who always look at the bad in things

Phree Refill
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Still dumb as a rock though...

...seriously, who gets into it with Ron Artest?

In all likelihood Williams was probably explaining to Ron in a polite manner that he was not enthused about what kind of environment Ron left him with in Indiana to start his NBA career. I'm sure Ron apologized and was in the midst of giving Williams a good will hug (evidenced by ron's left hand moving towards Williams initially) but before he could close the deal Williams spouted, "btw, your rap music sucks." At this point Williams saw the sincerity in Ron's eyes quickly being replaced with the aggression of a rabid badger. Being the spry and intelligent young man that Williams is, he quickly said, "I'm just kidding, friend." Its at this moment Ron slows the momentum of his hand on its way towards Williams neck and as it rest there for a second Ron smiles and says back, "And we'll always be friends forever. Won't we?" Williams replies, "yeah, forever" while smiling back at Ron. The ref then calls a technical because the conversation that just unfolded might in fact have been one of the gayest things he's ever heard on a basketball court.

And now you know... the rest of the story.

croz24
01-11-2011, 02:01 PM
thread should be locked imo