View Full Version : Job secure, Price feels good about future

Speed
01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Caught in the Web

Job secure, Price feels good about future

By Conrad Brunner

1/10/11

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/blog_brunner.html

It really was not an issue for A.J. Price, but a young guy stuck on the bench while trying to carve out a niche in the NBA doesn't need anything else to worry about.

The first two weeks of January are a nervous time for players without guaranteed contracts because, until today, they can be freely released with no further compensation. But come Jan. 10, anyone on an NBA roster – other than players on 10-day contracts – become fully guaranteed for the rest of the season.

As the only player on the Pacers roster without a guaranteed deal, Price was in the same category as Brian Skinner (Bucks), Ime Udoka (Spurs), Ronald DuPree (Raptors), Damien Wilkins (Hawks) and Steve Novak (Mavericks) – all released last week so their respective teams could save a few bucks and/or open a roster spot.

"You try not to think about it," Price said. "You want to be secure and understand, hopefully, that you're good but at the same time understand anything can happen. I just try to come in here with the same approach I've been having and hopefully the front office has the same faith in me.

"But I'll feel much better when (Jan. 10) is over."
Inactive most of the season because of the depth at point guard, Price might begin to pick up more playing time. Coach Jim O'Brien said recently he intends to have either Price or rookie Lance Stephenson active for most games moving forward, filling a potential need created by his deployment of a small lineup.

When he has played, Price generally has performed well. He played three in a row in mid-November and totaled 45 minutes, 25 points and nine assists. The rest of the season has offered only scattered appearances totaling 22 minutes.

But the 2009 second-round pick from Connecticut, whose future with the Pacers appeared in jeopardy when he injured his knee in an offseason charity game, has bounced back well and appears very much a part of the team's future.

"A.J. is a very skilled guy," said O'Brien. "I have a lot of confidence in him. We have a numbers game that's a problem right now that's not going to affect his contract. T.J. (Ford) is not going to be here forever and in Darren (Collison), A.J. and Lance, we feel we have three very promising young point guards.

"Him being inactive as much as he is is no reflection on what he brings to the team. … At some point in time, his patience will be rewarded."
For now, the reward is a job, and a paycheck, the rest of the season.

xIndyFan
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
:citizenkane:

Doddage
01-10-2011, 11:37 AM
I was worried there when I saw "Job secure," but then I saw the rest of the title.

Speed
01-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I should have put (non Obie related)

Sookie
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Looking at the 2011 Irrelevant thread, it's funny to me..how all of the other young guys get slammed for in game performance. Which has never happened to AJ. JOB consistently praises AJ. But then doesn't play him. Just sort of interesting. Particularly this year, when he made sure to play AJ as little as possible. (He gave TJ the backup minutes, even when TJ was still injured.)

concerns me that we still consider Lance a PG.

xIndyFan
01-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Looking at the 2011 Irrelevant thread, it's funny to me..how all of the other young guys get slammed for in game performance. Which has never happened to AJ. JOB consistently praises AJ. But then doesn't play him.

jmo, but larry seems to like size at each position. and lance gives the pacers size at the point. my guess is he will be given every chance to show he can play the point. one of the good things about the pacers current offensive scheme is that it allows combo guards to play the point. both AJ and JJ are good examples of that. if lance can learn to play defense and handle the ball under pressure, he might be able to play the point.

i for one would be very happy to have a big PG.

90'sNBARocked
01-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I should have put (non Obie related)
'
I first saw the headline and thought "oh snap, JOB's job is secure" then immediately thought of "Welcome to Indiana, home of lowered expectations"

90'sNBARocked
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Looking at the 2011 Irrelevant thread, it's funny to me..how all of the other young guys get slammed for in game performance. Which has never happened to AJ. JOB consistently praises AJ. But then doesn't play him. Just sort of interesting. Particularly this year, when he made sure to play AJ as little as possible. (He gave TJ the backup minutes, even when TJ was still injured.)

it shouldn't thats just " Jim being Jim"

CableKC
01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
It only matters if the Coach next season thinks Lance is a PG. The hope is that the Coach next season won't be JO'B and therefore won't be something that we'd have to worry about. :buddies:

Speed
01-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I like the idea of Lance at Point, but I understand why some people dont' and I have reservations whether it will work or not, too.

ECKrueger
01-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Good, I think AJ can be a good PG.

Sookie
01-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I like the idea of Lance at Point, but I understand why some people dont' and I have reservations whether it will work or not, too.

Of course the idea sounds nice.

A 6'5 PG..that sounds nice..But why don't we just move Dun to PG. He's 6'9..that sounds even better.

Bball
01-10-2011, 12:48 PM
"A.J. is a very skilled guy," said O'Brien. "I have a lot of confidence in him.

But I'm not going to find any minutes for him...

pwee31
01-10-2011, 12:48 PM
I like the Price info, but my favorite line was probably. "T.J Ford is not going to be here forever."

Very refreshing for some reason

Bball
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
"T.J Ford is not going to be here forever."

So we've got to play him as many minutes as possible while he's here....

Speed
01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
But I'm not going to find any minutes for him...

It's usually the opposite, it seems like everytime an article comes out on a player not playing, Obie all of sudden finds time for him.

If AJ is close to being 100%, I'd love to see them just trade TJ and get moving towards the future.

There's hardly a game that goes by that I don't think to myself "TJ Ford is not a Point Guard, at all", it usually coincides with a wide open player on a fast break that he doesn't pass it to.

pwee31
01-10-2011, 12:57 PM
So we've got to play him as many minutes as possible while he's here....

I expect that to change after the trade deadline.

There's a little silver lining that Hansbrough and George are getting minutes now. I like to think that came from Bird b/c I don't see O'Brien wanting that.

If Ford isn't traded, I expect him to be on the bench

owl
01-10-2011, 01:04 PM

A 6'5 PG..that sounds nice..But why don't we just move Dun to PG. He's 6'9..that sounds even better.

I know you are being sarcastic.
Not that either is a true point but Lance is much stronger and has better handles in a crowd than Dunleavy and would have a better chance at success at point.

owl
01-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I expect that to change after the trade deadline.

There's a little silver lining that Hansbrough and George are getting minutes now. I like to think that came from Bird b/c I don't see O'Brien wanting that.

If Ford isn't traded, I expect him to be on the bench

I would hope that was true but just because he is not traded is not going to sway OB.
He likes veterans you know, to a fault.

Hicks
01-10-2011, 01:11 PM

A 6'5 PG who can dribble-penetrate, is as strong as an ox, finishes well, can make pin-point passes, and pull up for a solid midrange jumper. Let's not downplay his skills.

righteouscool
01-10-2011, 02:03 PM
I think Lance's defensive struggles come mainly from playing him at point. I'd rather see him at SG and maybe emergency point guard.

xBulletproof
01-10-2011, 02:15 PM
A 6'5 PG who can dribble-penetrate, is as strong as an ox, finishes well, can make pin-point passes, and pull up for a solid midrange jumper. Let's not downplay his skills.

If this was true, he'd be playing.

It was true in Summer League though. Unfortunately Summer League isn't the NBA.

pwee31
01-10-2011, 02:17 PM

So same goes for Hansbrough right? :hmm:

Mackey_Rose
01-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Price is definitely better than Ford, possibly better than Collison, and yet JOB can't find a place for him.

Par for the course.

xBulletproof
01-10-2011, 02:22 PM
So same goes for Hansbrough right? :hmm:

Difference being Hansbrough has dressed every game. He has played. He's just playing more now.

In preseason Lance shot 7 of 25 with 4 assists and 6 turnovers. He had 6 rebounds and averaged less than 5 points per game. This is in 5 games and in 75 minutes. That's horrendous.

People are so hung up on what they saw in a pickup game sanctioned by the NBA that they've ignored that in the preseason it's actual NBA ball, with actual NBA players.

90'sNBARocked
01-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Difference being Hansbrough has dressed every game. He has played. He's just playing more now.

In preseason Lance shot 7 of 25 with 4 assists and 6 turnovers. He had 6 rebounds and averaged less than 5 points per game. This is in 5 games and in 75 minutes. That's horrendous.

People are so hung up on what they saw in a pickup game sanctioned by the NBA that they've ignored that in the preseason it's actual NBA ball, with actual NBA players.

Because they tried to run him at the point

When even Ray Charles can see he is a SG

Sookie
01-10-2011, 02:49 PM

in summer league. And Dun makes good decisions has a good outside shots, makes good passes and has a high bball IQ, in NBA games.

I don't want either playing point.

They've tried to play him at point his entire career because he does have a few point like skills. But every time someone tries it fails (in highschool and in college). Why? Because he's not a point guard.

I don't know what he'll be like in the NBA. But I doubt very much that a guy who couldn't be a point guard at the highschool or college level, can be one at the NBA level. It just doesn't make any sense.

Now at shooting guard, he'll need to improve his defense and outside shooting..but that's far less obstacles he needs to cross then to figure out how to be an NBA point guard. He won't have as big of a strength advantage over NBA shooting guards (although he's still pretty strong in comparison to a lot of them) but they'll also be easier for him to guard.

Hicks
01-10-2011, 03:19 PM

It is true. It's his defense, being a rookie, and being low man on the the totem pole that keeps him from playing.

Justin Tyme
01-10-2011, 03:22 PM

You picked up on that one too. If that is Bird's thinking, then that choice of pick by Bird has serious flaws in it. Lance isn't a PG, he's a shooting guard with no "D".

Justin Tyme
01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
if lance can learn to play defense and handle the ball under pressure, he might be able to play the point.

If if if if, If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their arse on the ground when landing on the ground from a jump too.

NapTonius Monk
01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
If if if if, If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their arse on the ground when landing on the ground from a jump too.http://www.aaanything.net/wp-content/gallery/some-stupid-randoms/the_frog_is_not_amused.jpg
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/42/l_4cb0b3864add4a0034e102beecf38c51.jpg&imgrefurl=http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm%3Ffuseaction%3DviewImage%26friendID%3D29 4669637%26albumID%3D1123588%26imageID%3D10541183&usg=__6d3JZqJr90oPFSM8xG4hOJ13n2M=&h=422&w=500&sz=57&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=0SeKEYHeiClTwM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=155&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfrog%2B%252B%2Bnot%2Bamused%26um%3D1% 26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_en US293US293%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D570%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=430&vpy=223&dur=3903&hovh=206&hovw=244&tx=109&ty=89&ei=4XQrTf6_LsOclgfzsq2pBQ&oei=4XQrTf6_LsOclgfzsq2pBQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0