PDA

View Full Version : Melo to NJ almost done (Det. in too)

BornReady#6
01-09-2011, 07:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6005596

The New Jersey Nets' attempts to acquire Denver's Carmelo Anthony are "further along" than any trade scenario that has been discussed since their near acquisition of Anthony in late September, according to sources close to the negotiations.

Anthony
A three-team deal involving the Detroit Pistons that would include at least 15 players -- with Rip Hamilton and Chauncey Billups winding up in New Jersey with Anthony -- could be completed as soon as this week, sources said.

The primary elements of the scenario currently on the table, sources said, call for New Jersey to acquire Anthony, Billups and Hamilton; Denver to land Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow and at least two first-round picks; and Detroit to acquire Troy Murphy and Johan Petro.

Other players with smaller contracts would have to be included to make the salary-cap math work.

One key to the advancing nature of negotiations, sources said, is the Nets' and Nuggets' willingness to complete a trade without asking Detroit to surrender a first-round pick.

When the talks involving Detroit as a potential third-team facilitator were first reported Friday night by the Bergen Record of New Jersey, sources told ESPN.com that the Pistons were balking largely because they were being asked to surrender a first-rounder.

Yet sources said one of the remaining potential snags is New Jersey's insistence that the Pistons absorb the contract of Petro.

The Pistons do not want to take back Petro, even though shedding Hamilton's contract in exchange for Murphy and the Nets center would represent an overall savings of roughly $17 million.

Sources say Detroit's stance on Petro has prompted New Jersey to begin looking for a fourth team that might be willing to take on the 24-year-old big man.

The Nets turned to Detroit to help seal their months-long pursuit of Anthony after attempts to rope in Cleveland, Minnesota and Portland as a third-team facilitator failed to progress.

Any trade for Anthony, however, still hinges on the All-Star forward's willingness to sign a three-year, $65 million extension with the Nets as part of the transaction in what is known as an extend-and-trade. The Boston Celtics got the same extend-and-trade commitment from Kevin Garnett when they acquired him from Minnesota in July 2007.

The Nets have made it clear that they will not agree to an Anthony deal without getting his signature on an extension a la Garnett. ESPN.com reported last month that the Nets plan to request permission -- and have already been told they will receive it -- to meet with Anthony face-to-face if a trade agreement is eventually struck with Denver. That would allow owner Mikhail Prokhorov and part-owner Jay-Z to lead a Nets contingent that would try to lobby the Brooklyn-born Anthony directly on the team's future, with the Nets planning to move to Brooklyn in time for the 2012-13 season.

The Nets long ago committed to send prized rookie Favors, former All-Star Harris and at least two first-round picks to the Nuggets in exchange for Anthony.

But New Jersey has been attempting to find a third team to help facilitate the blockbuster deal for Anthony that it has been chasing since the September collapse of a four-team swap involving Charlotte and Utah.

One source close to the situation insisted Sunday that the Nets -- optimistic as this sounds -- believe a face-to-face meeting with Prokhorov won't even be necessary to get Anthony's signoff if New Jersey can indeed acquire Billups and Hamilton. It was not immediately clear, though, how Denver native Billups' reported desire to seek a buyout if he's traded by his hometown team to the Nets would affect Anthony's stance.

What did seem clear Sunday is that the talks have taken on their most serious tone since the negotiations in February that would have landed Harris in Charlotte and Jazz veteran Andrei Kirilenko in Denver.

The New York Knicks remain Anthony's strongly preferred destination, sources say, but Denver has shown little interest in the Knicks' assets (such as Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields and Danilo Gallinari) and have been negotiating almost exclusively with the Nets for weeks.

With Favors and a cache of first-round picks it can move, New Jersey has a far more attractive war chest of trade assets. It likewise appears the Nets will not abandon their pursuit of Anthony until they're told directly by the All-Star forward that he would not sign an extension with them, which is the message some sources close to the process still believe New Jersey will get, as reported in December by ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan.

Nets officials, though, have remained quietly confident for months that Anthony, born in Brooklyn, ultimately would agree to the extension -- no matter how much he'd prefer to play in New York -- to ensure that he locks in his contract before labor negotiations this summer that are expected to establish a much more restrictive financial landscape in the league.

One source close to the talks said Sunday afternoon that the deal could be clinched if the Nets can find a fourth team willing to absorb Petro's salary. Detroit has been restricted in its attempts to make roster moves in recent months because of the team's pending sale, but sources told ESPN.com on Friday that the Pistons would be very interested if a trade scenario developed where they had only to surrender Hamilton and take back Murphy.

The Nets and Nuggets, meanwhile, have not stopped looking for other teams beyond Detroit that would be interested in joining the trade, since Denver does not have a strong need for Harris with young guard Ty Lawson on the roster. New Jersey and Denver have likewise continued to discuss trade possibilities with the Nuggets that don't involve any other teams.

Wish we could have gotten in, maybe there is still time?

sportfireman
01-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Sounds good for Jersy and Nuggets.... Detroit... so so. But a decent trade all around.

BornReady#6
01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
We dont need Harris, but I wouldnt mind getting in on this trade and landing or at very minimum moving Dahntay or James.

pwee31
01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
If Billups is serious about wanting a buyout, who plays PG for the Nets? Farmar?

With Billups and Rip, plus Melo and Lopez the Nets are obviously a playoff team in the East. Humphries can step in at PF and be efficient.

Pistons do it strictly for savings and Murphy's expiring contract. Denver starts the rebuilding process while staying competitive. Harris can step right in at PG. Morrow is a decent piece, and Favors and the 1st round picks are the future. It's possible Billups wants back in Denver so they may move Harris or Lawson to another team in the future.

hoops_guy
01-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Well now we can say bye-bye to the playoffs.

shags
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
So the main pieces (players) are:

Nets get Melo, Billups, Rip
Nuggets get Harris, Favors, Morrow
Pistons get Murphy, Petro

Based on what I've read, my educated guesses as to the other pieces (including draft picks) would be:

Nets get Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter, Dajuan Summers (Carter might be replaced with Melvin Ely if Carter refuses to be traded)
Nuggets get Stephen Graham, Quinton Ross, Nets 2011 1st rounder, Earliest Nets 2012 1st round picks (from their own, Golden State's and Houston's)
Pistons get latest of Nets 2012 1st round picks

Not going to get excited until it's official, but for the Pistons it's definitely a good deal.

Kstat
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski
Detroit wants to take Petro with Murphy, but only sweetened with a first-round pick, source says.

All I have to say thank god Rip and Melo have the same agent. Who would have thought Rip would be so crucial to this deal? I can't imagine we'd get a 1st rounder for him.

Dr. Awesome
01-09-2011, 08:04 PM
What does this mean for Ty Lawson? With Harris there, doesn't seem like he'll get his chance as a starter.

shags
01-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski
Detroit wants to take Petro with Murphy, but only sweetened with a first-round pick, source says.

And I think the Nets do it too. They're desperate to get Melo.

Major Cold
01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
I really don't like this deal for the Nets. They will not have the depth needed to go deep in the playoffs. After two years, Melo will want a trade.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 08:37 PM
What does this mean for Ty Lawson? With Harris there, doesn't seem like he'll get his chance as a starter.

They will probly trade Harris in the off season.

PR07
01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
All these superstars bolting their original teams makes me sick.

However, Denver has to do what they have to do, and getting Favors, Morrow, and a handful of first round picks isn't bad value at all.

Rip Hamilton is dead space to the Pistons. At this point, he deserves to play on a winner, and they aren't it.

New Jersey struck out this past free agency and needs credibility for an ownership that wants to win sooner rather than later. They still need an upgrade at PF to be a contender, but they'll still be pretty good in the East assuming Billups stays around.

Shade
01-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Rip and Chauncey back together, along with should-have-been-a-Piston-instead-of-Darko Carmelo. Interesting.

Scot Pollard
01-09-2011, 08:43 PM
WELL PACERS BETTER RACK UP WINS AGAIN

with ny and nj coming back into the playoffs we need to battle out milwaukee

i think the pacers have screwed themselves over by deciding to be 14-20

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Rip and Chauncey back together, along with should-have-been-a-Piston-instead-of-Darko Carmelo. Interesting.

Billups says he will get a buyout if traded

cdash
01-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Billups says he will get a buyout if traded

No. He wants one, but I doubt he would get one. Prokhorov, Melo, and Rip will convince him to stick around, you can bet on that.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
No. He wants one, but I doubt he would get one. Prokhorov, Melo, and Rip will convince him to stick around, you can bet on that.

He sounds like he cares more about a front office job with the nuggets than playing for another team he wants to retire a nugget then be in thier front office.

Pacerized
01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
If it goes down like this, I hope we go after Nene while the Nuggets are in cost cutting mode. I don't see us landing a better big man then Nene as a free agent next year.

shags
01-09-2011, 09:02 PM
For what it's worth, it looks like Billups and Anthony are playing tonight for Denver. So it's probably not as close as it's being made out to be.

travmil
01-09-2011, 09:03 PM
So, Detroit helps the Nets get Melo, a player they could have had instead of Darko, and their prize for doing so is half a season of Troy Murphy and eating the double crap burger that is Petro's contract? LOL!

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
So, Detroit helps the Nets get Melo, a player they could have had instead of Darko, and their prize for doing so is half a season of Troy Murphy and eating the double crap burger that is Petro's contract? LOL!

this is a win for DET get rid of rip. And if Petro becomes a deal breaker which i here he is. I can see the nets just accepting Troy for Rip stright up.

Scot Pollard
01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
oh man jim would love to coach the pistons

they have 6-11 murphy, villanueva, and daye shooting 3's

Pacersalltheway10
01-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I wish we could somehow get in this and get Favors or Nene somehow. Please Larry please!!!

travmil
01-09-2011, 09:37 PM
I wish we could somehow get in this and get Favors or Nene somehow. Please Larry please!!!

No way. Denver isn't gonna give up Melo AND Billups AND Nene in the same deal, and they sure aren't gonna do it and not get Favors back.

pizza guy
01-09-2011, 09:39 PM
oh man jim would love to coach the pistons

they have 6-11 murphy, villanueva, and daye shooting 3's

Let's hurry up and get in this trade, and send Jim up there!

LA_Confidential
01-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I doubt Melo would sign an extension with the Nets. If this deal goes through the Nets will still be mediocre as Rip and Billups are OLD. The Nuggets w/Melo is a better team than the Nets w/Melo, long term and short term. Im Still convinced he's gonna land with the Knicks and he and Amare will roll out the red carpet for D-Will or CP3.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
I doubt Melo would sign an extension with the Nets. If this deal goes through the Nets will still be mediocre as Rip and Billups are OLD. The Nuggets w/Melo is a better team than the Nets w/Melo, long term and short term. Im Still convinced he's gonna land with the Knicks and he and Amare will roll out the red carpet for D-Will or CP3.

D-will wants to be on the Jazz for life.But i could see them getting CP3 but recently Donnie Walsh said he was gonna do anything to keep Wilson Chandler. Who reportly wants 5 yrs 60 mill dollars so i dont know how he will afford chandler and melo and CP3.

LA_Confidential
01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
D-will wants to be on the Jazz for life.But i could see them getting CP3 but recently Donnie Walsh said he was gonna do anything to keep Wilson Chandler. Who reportly wants 5 yrs 60 mill dollars so i dont know how he will afford chandler and melo and CP3.

Im pretty sure the Knicks wouldnt mind paying the tax, especially since that would make them a top contender.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Im pretty sure the Knicks wouldnt mind paying the tax, especially since that would make them a top contender.

Of course they will pay the tax the promblem is u would have to do a S&T to get CP3 and maybe melo i dont think NO will do a S&T with the Knicks. Because they wont have any cap room.

imbtyler
01-09-2011, 10:57 PM
For what it's worth, it looks like Billups and Anthony are playing tonight for Denver. So it's probably not as close as it's being made out to be.

Just because they're playing doesn't mean it's not close. It could be as close as them waiting until after tonight's game to finalize anything. Tonight is probably their last night as Nuggets.

LA_Confidential
01-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Just because they're playing doesn't mean it's not close. It could be as close as them waiting until after tonight's game to finalize anything. Tonight is probably their last night as Nuggets.

If this goes through, how deep of a grave will NJ have dug for themselves if Melo doesnt extend. They'd be stuck with a Bag-o-Bones and a point guard who doesnt want to be there.

spreedom
01-09-2011, 11:12 PM
If this goes through, how deep of a grave will NJ have dug for themselves if Melo doesnt extend. They'd be stuck with a Bag-o-Bones and a point guard who doesnt want to be there.

I would assume that the Nets are making the trade only if Melo signs an extend-and-trade contract... otherwise I doubt they'd touch this deal.

LA_Confidential
01-09-2011, 11:14 PM
I would assume that the Nets are making the trade only if Melo signs an extend-and-trade contract... otherwise I doubt they'd touch this deal.

Or maybe they're just desperate.

PR07
01-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Reports are that Melo will sign a 3 year extension.

xBulletproof
01-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Reports are that Melo will sign a 3 year extension.

Not shocking. He has a lot to lose by not signing an extension somewhere.

cdash
01-10-2011, 12:22 AM
He sounds like he cares more about a front office job with the nuggets than playing for another team he wants to retire a nugget then be in thier front office.

We'll see. If he gets traded, the bet here is that he reports and plays with New Jersey. What would it benefit him to stay on the sinking ship in Denver with a crappy team? Why not just go to New Jersey and have a chance to win something with an old buddy and one of the game's best small forwards? He can still be in the Denver front office someday if he wants to.

Edit: Personally, I don't see how this makes the Nets that much better. Billups and Hamilton are past their primes, Lopez has plateaued and been secretly awful this year, and Anthony can't carry a team like that to the promised land. I still think that they are a giant step below Boston, Miami, and Orlando. Still probably not better than Atlanta. Their future cap space is tied up in Melo, Rip, and Billups. They are sending multiple draft picks to Denver and their best young player. I really don't see how in two years, Melo won't be in the exact same situation he is in right now.

Foul on Smits
01-10-2011, 12:25 AM
We'll see. If he gets traded, the bet here is that he reports and plays with New Jersey. What would it benefit him to stay on the sinking ship in Denver with a crappy team? Why not just go to New Jersey and have a chance to win something with an old buddy and one of the game's best small forwards? He can still be in the Denver front office someday if he wants to.

because its New Jersey...

PR07
01-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Apparently, the hold up according to SI.com is that Detroit wants an additional first round pick for taking on Murphy (who wants a buy-out) and Petro in addition to the one they are already receiving.

I just hope if Murphy gets bought out, we aren't a team that has interest.

cdash
01-10-2011, 12:28 AM
because its New Jersey...

It's still got the New York market. The franchise is moving to Brooklyn in a few years. He will be playing on a better team with better players. The owner has deep pockets and is obviously willing to use them. There are worse situations to be in as a player.

diamonddave00
01-10-2011, 12:42 AM
I could see Murphy if bought out ending up in Orlando.

Foul on Smits
01-10-2011, 12:44 AM
It's still got the New York market. The franchise is moving to Brooklyn in a few years. He will be playing on a better team with better players. The owner has deep pockets and is obviously willing to use them. There are worse situations to be in as a player.

Yah, but Billups is near the end of his career. The New York market dont need Billups, they want Carmelo. Billups probably wont be around for the Brooklyn move. And the owner probably wont be resigning Billups ( i assume ). And the Nets are not winning anytime soon. This deal doesnt make them that much better. A little better, but i wouldnt say contenders.

I imagine Billups has a home in Denver and is settled down with family and wants to retire there. He's done everything one can do in a career. He has nothing to prove. I get why he wouldnt want to go to Jersey.

Foul on Smits
01-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Also, New Jersey is a big turd stain.

rexnom
01-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Melo is a fool. Why not wait until the off-season and sign a deal with the Knicks? That way you get to be on the best possible team and on the Knicks.

xBulletproof
01-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Melo is a fool. Why not wait until the off-season and sign a deal with the Knicks? That way you get to be on the best possible team and on the Knicks.

A lot of risks involved. Just waiting until the new CBA before getting a new contract alone could cost him millions, upon millions of dollars. Not to mention the new CBA could inhibit the Knicks from signing him anyway. They have 43 million tied up in players already for next year. What if the new CBA lowers the cap, and/or max player salaries for Carmelo?

So he'd have waited to sign with a team he possibly can't sign with, and lose a boat load of cash at the same time.

I'm not sure calling him a 'fool' for this is appropriate.

Kstat
01-10-2011, 02:16 AM
if he gets Paul to come with him to NJ next year, then its even teams.

CableKC
01-10-2011, 03:01 AM
Apparently, the hold up according to SI.com is that Detroit wants an additional first round pick for taking on Murphy (who wants a buy-out) and Petro in addition to the one they are already receiving.

I just hope if Murphy gets bought out, we aren't a team that has interest.
Negotiation-wise...I can see why the Pistons are asking for more.....but Rip has a lot of $$$ owed to him. Finding somebody willing to take on that much $$$ is hard to do.

pwee31
01-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I think the Nuggets will turn around a trade Devin Harris, just don't see him staying on the roster.

I'm not optimistic knowing that Murphy's expiring deal is only going to land the Nets Rip Hamilton. Yeah the Nets are trying to throw a bad contract in, but that may cost them a 1st round pick.

That doesn't give me much hope for Ford, Foster, and Dunleavy. Yes they've been playing more than Murphy this year, but unless a team gets desperate to rebuild and shed salary, I wouldn't get too excited about the trade deadline

Kstat
01-10-2011, 10:17 AM
the Pistons are getting a draft pick from the Nets in exchange for adding Petro to the deal. No idea what pick it's going to be.

the hold-up now if that NJ wants to unload Al Harrignton to the deal and NJ is refusing to take him.

CableKC
01-10-2011, 11:08 AM
the Pistons are getting a draft pick from the Nets in exchange for adding Petro to the deal. No idea what pick it's going to be.

the hold-up now if that NJ wants to unload Al Harrignton to the deal and NJ is refusing to take him.
How many picks do the Nets have and where are they going?

Do they have 3 draft picks to unload?

As for Harrington going to the Nets....geez.....I know that they need some depth....but at some point...the cost of getting Melo is going to be too high.

King Phoenix
01-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Then maybe we should send foster up there and Denver gives us nene? And how old is Harris not saying he's a top pg and would kinda be unnecessary but to have him would be better trade bait then ford, anyone know his contract.

BornReady#6
01-10-2011, 11:28 AM
As you may have heard, the New Jersey Nets, Denver Nuggets, and Detroit Pistons are working on a deal that would finally send Carmelo Anthony(notes) to the Garden State. One of the zillion players that would also move in the deal is 27-year-old Nets guard Devin Harris(notes).
The word is that Harris will be heading to Colorado to join the Nuggets, but he wouldn't be staying there for long. A source to HoopsWorld reports that Harris might as well just stay on the plane until it gets to Portland. HoopsWorld has it that Harris could be sent by the Nuggets to the Portland Trail Blazers "for a package that includes Andre Miller(notes) and/or Marcus Camby(notes), who are both being shopped around by the Blazers."
Miller's contract has a team option for next season that Denver would probably decline, the site reports, so it can clear more salary space.
However, ESPN has it that if the Anthony trade happens, Harris could be headed to the team that he first played for back in 2004, the Dallas Mavericks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Devin-Harris-headed-to-Blazers-;_ylt=AvVimkbhhbhczHSCLhDCRhwVPKB4?urn=nba-305406

King Phoenix
01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Shoot this trade is soo crazy anyway, heck why not go wild and try and give up both jones' for afflao and Flynn, yeah I know it's crazy, and unreal but we would have a very young team and definitely would be a big man or two away from ten yaears of domination when all of them develop, but I know it's not real.

xIndyFan
01-10-2011, 11:32 AM
If Billups is serious about wanting a buyout, who plays PG for the Nets? Farmar?. . . It's possible Billups wants back in Denver so they may move Harris or Lawson to another team in the future.

look for billups to get move to orlando. NJN may be playing jameer nelson at the point.

Not shocking. He has a lot to lose by not signing an extension somewhere.

melo will sign an extension with someone. not doing so would cost his something like $20M in real money.

I could see Murphy if bought out ending up in Orlando.

add billups and murphy to the orlando lineup would make them a nice team. if that happens, i will be glad for troy to get a chance at a ring.

MyFavMartin
01-10-2011, 11:37 AM
nets have 3 1st rounders this year and 2 the next, right?

Also, NJ won't do this without extending Melo.

Reports on hoopshype last friday said Detroit was reluctant to take Petro, but seems he would fit well with the team.

Kstat
01-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Petro wouldn't fit well with anybody. They had to throw in a pick to get us to take him.

Kstat
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Pistons would get a 2nd rounder. Better than nothing, I suppose. We'd have 3 of them this summer.

MyFavMartin
01-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Petro wouldn't fit well with anybody. They had to throw in a pick to get us to take him.

He's not that good. That's why he'd fit well with the Pistons. :p

CableKC
01-10-2011, 02:44 PM
He's not that good. That's why he'd fit well with the Pistons. :p
I'm guessing that you're mostly joking....but last I checked, the Pistons have only 2 more losses then we do. Our poor play as of late is more of a joke then the Pistons sucking it up out there.

pwee31
01-10-2011, 07:17 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71066/20110110/nuggets_trying_to_include_harrington_in_trade/

Chris Broussard of True Hoop is reporting that the hold-up in the three-team trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey is Al Harrington.

Denver wants to include Harrington, who has four years and $28 million left on his contract, in the blockbuster deal.

The Nuggets want the Nets to take on Harrington, but New Jersey is wary of his contract.

hoops_guy
01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
...And this is where the deal falls apart like it has Every. Single. Time. for the past six months.

Speed
01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71066/20110110/nuggets_trying_to_include_harrington_in_trade/

How does Al Harrington keep getting these contracts and then teams want to move him within a year, crazy.

pwee31
01-10-2011, 08:40 PM
How does Al Harrington keep getting these contracts and then teams want to move him within a year, crazy.

He's fools gold. A solid player, but it's the way he goes about being a solid player. He's way too offensive minded, but he seems to be a pretty good professional for the most part, so teams will continue to take a chance on instant offense

pacer4ever
01-10-2011, 10:00 PM

The Nuggets have no use for his contract now that they are in rebulid mode. They are gonna have a fire sale and rebulid the right way. Unlike some team i know of....

pwee31
01-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I personally didn't like trading Al in the GS deal. I thought he was the PF that Jim O'Brien liked to have.

He could "stretch the floor" which O'Brien loves. He can post up when necessary. He's not a terrible defender... just doesn't like to defend.

I thought he would have been a better option than Murphy.

I wouldn't want him or his contract now, but I felt he could have been successful here

BornReady#6
01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Here is the proposed trade so far:

The proposed trade will send Anthony, Hamilton, Billups, Nuggets guard Anthony Carter(notes) and forward Shelden Williams(notes) to the Nets. The Nuggets will receive two first-round picks from the Nets, point guard Devin Harris(notes), rookie forward Derrick Favors(notes), guards Anthony Morrow(notes), Ben Uzoh(notes), Stephen Graham(notes) and Quinton Ross(notes). The Pistons will get Nets forward Troy Murphy(notes) and center Johan Petro(notes).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-netspistonstalks010711

Nets:

Billups, Farmar, Carter
Rip, Sasha
Melo, James
Humphries, Outlaw
Lopez, Williams

Nuggets:

Harris, Lawson, Uzoh
Morrow, Afflalo, Smith, Ross
Harrington, Balkman, Graham, Forbes
Favors, Kmart,
Nene, Birdman, Ely

Pistons:

Stuckey, Bynum,
McGrady, Gordon, White
Prince, Daye, Summers
Chuck V, Maxiel, Murph, Jerebko
Monroe, Wallace, Wilcox, Petro

think they need to trade a big man?

MyFavMartin
01-11-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm guessing that you're mostly joking....but last I checked, the Pistons have only 2 more losses then we do. Our poor play as of late is more of a joke then the Pistons sucking it up out there.

Pistons also have a weaker SOS.

Just giving it to the Pistons, our rivals.

spreedom
01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Here is the proposed trade so far:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-netspistonstalks010711

Nets:

Billups, Farmar, Carter
Rip, Sasha
Melo, James
Humphries, Outlaw
Lopez, Williams

Nuggets:

Harris, Lawson, Uzoh
Morrow, Afflalo, Smith, Ross
Harrington, Balkman, Graham, Forbes
Favors, Kmart,
Nene, Birdman, Ely

In addition to that deal, it sounds like the Nuggets would want to flip Harris as well. I'd think Dallas might go for a Butler/2nd for Harris/Balkman.

ballism
01-11-2011, 12:04 PM
In addition to that deal, it sounds like the Nuggets would want to flip Harris as well. I'd think Dallas might go for a Butler/2nd for Harris/Balkman.

I've been reading similar rumors too the last few days. Makes sense from a pure strip-down-the-roster/rebuild/save-some-money-from-health-insurance perspective. But man if that happens, how much has Harris' value fallen.
The man was considered to a top 5-7 PG with upside to be All-NBA two years ago...

As for overall deal though, if all these rumors are correct - if Nets get Billups and buy him out, if Denver gets Harris and gives him away for expirings, and if Nets add Hamilton's monstrosity of a deal... All that makes so little sense.
The original picks+Favors+Murphy for Melo deal is just smarter for both teams.

spreedom
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I've been reading similar rumors too the last few days. Makes sense from a pure strip-down-the-roster/rebuild/save-some-money-from-health-insurance perspective. But man if that happens, how much has Harris' value fallen.
The man was considered to a top 5-7 PG with upside to be All-NBA two years ago...

As for overall deal though, if all these rumors are correct - if Nets get Billups and buy him out, if Denver gets Harris and gives him away for expirings, and if Nets add Hamilton's monstrosity of a deal... All that makes so little sense.
The original picks+Favors+Murphy for Melo deal is just smarter for both teams.

I can't find a source for the life of me, but apparently the Nets would be guaranteeing Billups' option for next season, and that would keep him happy and with the team.

BornReady#6
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Thought this was interesting, seem Nuggets want the Nets to stay quite or they will back out and trade him to NY, (where I would rather see him go).

Before resuming trade talks for Carmelo Anthony(notes) on Monday, the Denver Nuggets delivered a stern warning to the New Jersey Nets: Unless the public nature of these trade discussions becomes private, be warned that we will send Anthony to the New York Knicks.

Nothing else the Nuggets could’ve said would send such chills of unease through the Nets, and that’s why Denver made the threat, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Would the Nuggets do such a thing out of spite? Would they take a lesser package out of vengeance? No one could be sure, but it sure delivered one more element of drama and intrigue to these trade talks.

Indeed, the tone of the discussions between the Nuggets and Nets dramatically changed on Monday. Executives went underground with talks, and several agents were frustrated they could no longer get information from the two teams about where the talks stood. Sources still believed the Nets and Nuggets had the framework of a deal, but the talks had retreated from what one source deemed “really close” on Sunday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-anthonytrade011011

ballism
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Thought this was interesting, seem Nuggets want the Nets to stay quite or they will back out and trade him to NY, (where I would rather see him go).

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-anthonytrade011011

Kind of hilarious if this was true and it was leaked by Nets sources.

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 12:56 PM
detroits lineup

sf daye
pf villanueva
c murphy

oh man jim would lose it

you better watch out kstat

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
detroits lineup

sf daye
pf villanueva
c murphy

oh man jim would lose it

you better watch out kstat

That wont be the lineup Ben Wallace or Greg Moneroe would start over Murphy. Plus Charlie V comes off the bench.

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
That wont be the lineup Ben Wallace or Greg Moneroe would start over Murphy. Plus Charlie V comes off the bench.

i know john kuester isnt as stupid as jim obrien

i can see their starting lineup of stuckey/gordon/prince/murphy/wallace

murphy will definitely be more of himself in detroit

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
i know john kuester isnt as stupid as jim obrien
i can see their starting lineup of stuckey/gordon/prince/murphy/wallace

murphy will definitely be more of himself in detroit

Ive watched a few Pistons gamees this yr and I disagree Kuester is pretty dumb just like JOB.

Kstat
01-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Kuster has no idea what kind of a team he wants. One day he'll want to go defense, another offense, another day he'll announce he wants a smaller rotation, or a taller one...

His latest frontcourt craze is Monroe and Daye, which has worked pretty well, until one of them inevitably has a poor game, and then he'll have another knee-jerk reaction.

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Ive watched a few Pistons gamees this yr and I disagree Kuester is pretty dumb just like JOB.

they have brian hill on their coaching staff id rather have him coaching my team than either obrien or kuester

i do agree kuester is a pretty bad coach and is at least on the same level as obrien

im sure both guys will be getting fired at the end of this season

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Kuster has no idea what kind of a team he wants. One day he'll want to go defense, another offense, another day he'll announce he wants a smaller rotation, or a taller one...

His latest frontcourt craze is Monroe and Daye, which has worked pretty well.

does kuester ever use daye at pf?

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
The dumb one in all this to me, is Carmello

You leave the Nuggets to go play with a young center who bearly rebounds and is soft as butter on a hot day, a 33 year old aging SG, and a 34 year old point guard having the worst statistical year of his career so far.

If Carmello wants to go to the knicks so bad, he should tell Denver he wont sign an extension with anyteam besides the knicks

Stoudamire/Felton/Carmello

much greater than

Lopez/Hamilton/Billups and Mello

xBulletproof
01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
If I was New Jersey, I'd have told Denver to stuff it the last time. It seems every time they're close, Denver tries to stick one more piece in the deal that nobody else wants.

I'm guessing it falls apart again.

Kstat
01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
does kuester ever use daye at pf?

he uses him there almost exclusively.

Daye is Rashard Lewis with shot-blocking ability. He's still awfully skinny to be playing PF, but he's a legit 7 feet with Tayshaun's wingspan.

When Daye is making shots, he's very effective. When he's not, he's another guy you have to help out in the post.

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
is it just me or is new jersey getting more than theyre giving?

i mean theyre getting anthony, hamilton, and billups

3 all-stars and theyre only giving up devin harris who is their best player but not even close to being good as anthony

ill tell you what if i was denver and someone wanted my star player id demand both devin harris and brook lopez and maybe derrick favors

i think detroit is getting decent value out of the deal i mean murphy is expiring and decent and id ask for another rotation guy for hamilton

Kstat
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
...except neither Rip nor Chauncey are all-stars anymore. They're both massively overpaid now.

Denver has to take less for Carmelo because if they demand too much they will lose him for nothing over the summer.

xBulletproof
01-11-2011, 01:17 PM
The dumb one in all this to me, is Carmello

You leave the Nuggets to go play with a young center who bearly rebounds and is soft as butter on a hot day, a 33 year old aging SG, and a 34 year old point guard having the worst statistical year of his career so far.

If Carmello wants to go to the knicks so bad, he should tell Denver he wont sign an extension with anyteam besides the knicks

Stoudamire/Felton/Carmello

much greater than

Lopez/Hamilton/Billups and Mello

There are 2 things you're missing here.

1 - The Knicks don't have **** anyone wants, except Amare. At least not on the level of a perennial All Star.

2 - If I was the Nuggets, and Carmelo told me that, I'd tell him he can just stay here and be a free agent then, because it's virtually the same thing as getting a deal from the Knicks, then I'd inform him of this little bit of info .....

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/05/source-carmelo-anthony-expected-to-sign-extension-with-nuggets/

While this is all speculation, if Anthony were to opt out of his contract and not sign the extension and maximum contracts are capped at $12 million, that would be a loss of $35 million over four seasons. If maximum deals are capped at $14 million, it would be a loss of $27 million during that period.

.... not so dumb now?

Scot Pollard
01-11-2011, 01:22 PM
this might be the only season the nets are decent because its still up in the air if anthony wants to sign with the nets

Kstat
01-11-2011, 01:23 PM
if he didn't want to sign, the nets would not be having this discussion.

They would not be gutting their team without some sort of assurance that he'll re-sign.

BornReady#6
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
If they go along with the Nets' offer, the Nuggets would save nearly $20 million, including luxury taxes; get a former All-Star in Devin Harris and one of the game's top three point shooters in Anthony Morrow; a $12 million trade exception and three first rounders (including Derrick Favors) that could all wind up as lottery picks. But that's apparently not enough.

Chris Broussard tweets, "NJ's changed parameters of deal several times but nothing to Den's liking yet. NJ leaving for 4-game road trip tomorrow & all players going." The impediment, according to Broussard and others, concerns Al Harrington, who the Nuggets want moved. The Nets would prefer the Nuggets drop the demand but are still looking for a fourth team to bring into the deal. There's also Denver's demand that another first round pick be involved.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/1/10/1927783/optimism-fades-as-denver-rejects-nets-offers?ref=yahoo

MyFavMartin
01-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Current rumor, prolly leaked by Denver, is Houston is making a push for Melo. Not sure I'd believe it, but the Rockets do have expiring contracts and young talent.

Kstat
01-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Houston can't offer anything the Nets can aside from more cap space.

This seems like more shady tactics like the leaked NY ultimatum to get NJ to drive the price up.

CableKC
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Which Team GM is stupider?

The Nuggets for continually adding in every ill-conceived long-term contract that they signed into the deal ( thus making it exponentially harder for such a trade to happen )

or

The Nets for continually looking to facilitate any such demands.

From what I have read, the Nets GM was prepared to walk away from this...but the Super-Rich and inexperienced Owner that wants to make a huge splash and get a Player like Carmello ( who IMHO isn't worth this much effort ) is bending over backwards to please the Nuggets.

IMHO...the Nuggets are really pushing it when it comes to their demands. They are lucky to even have the Nets facilitate some deal to get Rip and take on Billups....now they are asking for the Nets to figure out some way to take on or get rid of Al "I'll make you regret giving me a Long-term contract" Harrington?

BornReady#6
01-11-2011, 07:22 PM
The Clippers' Blake Griffin is one of Denver's dream targets in an Anthony trade, but sources told ESPN.com that those overtures have been consistently rejected. The Nuggets have also made numerous attempts to acquire the comparatively unheralded Nicolas Batum from Portland but have been repeatedly rebuffed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6010542

They will never get Griffen, and why the hell would Portland not give them Batum for Melo?

pwee31
01-11-2011, 10:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6010542

They will never get Griffen, and why the hell would Portland not give them Batum for Melo?

Perhaps b/c Melo won't sign an extension with the Blazers.

Denver is dreaming when it comes to Blake Griffin. DREAMING!!

They're just trying to get the best deal possible, which I can't blame them, but Carmello has all the leverage.

xBulletproof
01-11-2011, 11:16 PM
but Carmello has all the leverage.

No, not really.

pacer4ever
01-11-2011, 11:32 PM
No, not really.

yes he does he will be all the a FA this offseason so he can pick where he wants to go. No way NJ does this deal without melo signing long term

xBulletproof
01-11-2011, 11:54 PM
yes he does he will be all the a FA this offseason so he can pick where he wants to go. No way NJ does this deal without melo signing long term

And he's risking losing tens of millions of dollars by not signing an extension before the year is over. So he's risking plenty and Denver can play hard ball too.

xIndyFan
01-12-2011, 12:02 AM
And he's risking losing tens of millions of dollars by not signing an extension before the year is over. So he's risking plenty and Denver can play hard ball too.

QFT, melo stands to lose about $20M if he signs under the new CBA. that is a lot of cash even in his tax bracket.

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 12:18 AM

just reported he is the holdup in the trade i told u he holds the leverage

xBulletproof
01-12-2011, 12:51 AM
just reported he is the holdup in the trade i told u he holds the leverage

I never said he doesn't have any pull. Problem is Denver has theirs too. He holds the leverage over the other teams, but Denver holds the leverage over Carmelo. Money.

This is where if I'm Denver, I'd play my hand. I'd tell Carmelo, his agent, and all teams who call about Carmelo that there's no more trade negotiations he will play out his contract and either accept his option year for next season, or be a free agent a lose a ton of money. He starts dogging it, I'd send him home.

He'll soften his stance under the possibility of losing all that money.

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 12:56 AM
I never said he doesn't have any pull. Problem is Denver has theirs too. He holds the leverage over the other teams, but Denver holds the leverage over Carmelo. Money.

This is where if I'm Denver, I'd play my hand. I'd tell Carmelo, his agent, and all teams who call about Carmelo that there's no more trade negotiations he will play out his contract and either accept his option year for next season, or be a free agent a lose a ton of money. He starts dogging it, I'd send him home.

He'll soften his stance under the possibility of losing all that money.

I doubt it under the new CBA melo type players will still get a lot of money

Psyren
01-12-2011, 12:59 AM
I could be entirely wrong, but I still firmly believe that Melo ends up in NY regardless next year.

I just think his mind is 100% set on the Knicks, and he's prepared to screw anyone else over to get there.

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 01:00 AM
I could be entirely wrong, but I still firmly believe that Melo ends up in NY regardless next year.

I just think his mind is 100% set on the Knicks, and he's prepared to screw anyone else over to get there.

me 2

xBulletproof
01-12-2011, 01:03 AM
I doubt it under the new CBA melo type players will still get a lot of money

Actually, you don't know how much they will get. Here's what he stands to get if he signs the extension ....

$18.52 million in 2011-2012, $19.45 million in 2012-13, $21.49 million in 2013-14 and $23.53 million in 2014-15.

If salaries are capped at $12 million, he would lose $35 million. Even if they are capped at $15 million he'll lose $23 million. I don't care who you are, that's a lot of money and you won't willingly risk that loss. Also if the cap comes down based on the percentage of revenue that goes to the cap, then the Knicks won't even have much money anyway. They have $43 million in salary next year, and the cap this year is $58. If the cap comes down at all, that's another issue.

QuickRelease
01-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Question: Say the Melo deal gets done, and we're one of the teams calling Denver about acquiring NENE. If they insist on a package deal of NENE and JR Smith, would this be a dealbreaker for you?

Lance George
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Everything I've read says Smith's contract expires at the end of the season, so I don't see the problem with him being a part of any Nene deal. I think he could be a very solid rotation player for us, but if the team didn't want to deal with his issues, he could simply be cut.

spreedom
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Question: Say the Melo deal gets done, and we're one of the teams calling Denver about acquiring NENE. If they insist on a package deal of NENE and JR Smith, would this be a dealbreaker for you?

Not at all. He expires at the end of the season, so we could easily either send him home, flip him, or give him a chance to behave before doing either or both.

Nene would be a great fit next to Roy and even more valuable taking most of his backup minutes as well. As long as we're sending only expirings or players that aren't part of our future, I'd take whatever contracts they wanted us to (assuming that Billups is already in Jersey, that is).

I really don't see them trading him, though. He isn't overpaid at all, and you don't have to trade everybody.

CableKC
01-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Not a dealbreaker since JR Smith is an Expiring Contract.

The real question is if the Nuggets asked for PG and/or a 1st or if the Nuggets asked to take on Renaldo or Harrington...both of which they probably will.

My answer is pass.

spreedom
01-12-2011, 11:34 AM

The real question is if the Nuggets asked for PG and/or a 1st or if the Nuggets asked to take on Renaldo or Harrington...both of which they probably will.

My answer is pass.

I think the assumption is still that Denver is going to force NJ to take Al back in a deal as well...

.....don't hate me, but I'd take him back here for expirings.

CableKC
01-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Anyone else think that this whole Melo-Drama is starting to reach Lebron-like Drama levels when it comes to trading him?

I have no clue who has the leverage....but the longer this drags out...the more and more likely he looks like he will end up in New York :banghead: . You really have to wonder if Melo had ZERO intention of signing an extension with the Nets that he'd simply come out and say it.

This is one huge cluster-EFF if you ask me.

CableKC
01-12-2011, 03:54 PM
One more thing....to expand on the "what if Denver tries to move Player X"....if the Melo trade goes through and Devin Harris was involved....would you be interested in taking him on as a Combo-Guard?

I know that he's used as the PG for the Nets....but he's not really a true PG and more of a combination of both.

I'd be possibly interested if it just cost us an Expiring Contract and a draft Pick OR PG ( but not both ).

Pacerized
01-12-2011, 08:39 PM

My answer is pass.

I agree with you for the most part. I do not like JR Smith and would hope we'd just buy him out rather then have his bad attitude poison our team, but I'd be willing to take him on for Nene. Nene will be 29 at the beginning of next season and I think the odds are very good that he'll opt out of his current contract at the end of this season. Even if players lose money in the next cba I don't know how much that would effect Nene since he isn't a max player. Nene may stand to gain more by opting out while his value is currently as high as it's ever been. I don't think he'll be in the rebuilding plans of the Nuggets so they may want to get what they can for him now. It won't be that different then Melo in some ways. Would you want him knowing he'll opt out, or would you want him only if he agreed to an extension. Either way I don't think any team gets Nene for just an expiring contract since he's basically an expiring contract to the Nuggets now. I think he be worth an expiring contract and a 1st. round pick if he agreed to a reasonable extension, but I wouldn't offer PG and a 1st.

Shade
01-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Someone needs to tell the Nuggets that they have precious little leverage here.

CableKC
01-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Melo is either an idiot or simply hemming and hawing his way into delaying the Nuggets long enough to force them to send him to the Knicks at the very last second.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/71156/20110114/carmelo_i_havent_even_thought_about_extension_with _nets/

Posted on http://www.realgm.com
Via an Article from ESPN New York
No Author listed

Without specifying either the Knicks or Nets, Carmelo Anthony said on Friday that his "ultimate" dream would be to play in New York.

"That's like the ultimate dream at the end of the day," Anthony said. "Who wouldn't want to go back home to play?"

Anthony was asked where he wants to play next season.

"I don't know, it's tough for me to answer that question," Anthony said. "It's tough for me to sit here and say, 'Oh, I want to play in New York' [or] 'Oh, I want to play in New Jersey' [or] 'Oh, I want to say here [in Denver].' "

Anthony said he was surprised when the Nets emerged as possible trade partners with the Nuggets.

"I [had] never really thought about the New Jersey Nets," he said, before allowing that he has subsequently considered the possibility.

"I see what the future holds, they'll move into Brooklyn. ... Me going back home to Brooklyn, opening that arena, I think about all that stuff."

But Anthony also said, "I haven't even thought about [signing an extension with the Nets]."
Seriously, after all this stuff that is going on and how serious ( or not ) that the Nuggets APPEAR to be moving him to the Nets....he hasn't even thought about if he'd sign an extension?

He's either stupid and utterly isolated from the rest of the universe and is clueless as to what is going on ( cuz how can you not think about it even if it is a completely fabricated rumor? ) or he is simply stalling long enough as the Nuggets get closer to the trade deadline to put them in a really bad position.

Cuz you know that the Nets are getting irritated as Heck that the Nuggets are being totally greedy when it comes to asking the Nets for everything under the sun ( specifically asking them to take on Harrington ) while the Knicks are sitting back and waiting for the Nuggets to buckle under Melo's IMHO "on purpose" non-commital willingness to sign an extension with the Nets.

I think that Melo is trying to do his best not to come off looking like Lebron to the general NBA fanbase ( a la "The Decison" ). Everyone knows that Melo wants to ONLY go to the Knicks but he won't publically come out saying that he will sign any extension with any other Team. He won't say anything bad...or really anything good either......just so that he comes off looking like the "good guy" just waiting for something to happen. IMHO..the only real loser in all of this is the Nets. Of course, the Nets Owners obvious willingness to do absolutely everything to get a Superstar....but you have to feel sorry for them cuz I think that Melo is simply teasing them in the end for the next couple of weeks.

IMHO, Melo is somewhere below the "DWade/Durant/Lebron/Kobe/Dwight" Top Tier Players and the "Granger/Iggy/Monta" Tier Players and therefore not worth all this trouble....he's worth a pretty penny....but he's not worth the amount of $$$/Assets that the Nets are paying.

D-BONE
01-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Another real loser here is the fans of the league, NJ and Denver who are all being held hostage by another prima donna player forcing his way into exactly what he wants.

Kstat
01-15-2011, 04:08 PM
they're being held hostage by denver management. Melo has no control over this,.

ballism
01-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Personally as a fan I couldn't care less. He has the right to go whereever he wants in a few months anyway. I don't see why he would stay in Denver, I know I wouldn't in his place. Why stay with a team that isn't winning anything, getting old, when the management hasnt had a plan for decades and just seems content with randomly trading for old big names? Rather go to a promising situation in the town where your wife and your son lives.

So, what's the big deal? Nuggets are getting good compensation to trade him now. Or they can keep him, get into the playoffs and let him go, he doesn't seem to mind.

I don't get what the fans expect. Do they want Melo to openly talk about where he wants to be traded to? NBA fines for that, you know. Do they want him to sign an extension with any team he's traded to? Ask yourself, would you do it, if money was not an issue, would you go and spend the next 4 years of your life in a place you don't like, away from your family, just because it benefits your current boss? Or would you rather wait it out and find a job whereever you want?

As far as I see it, Melo is doing it the right way. He supposedly gave his list to the Nuggets, he isn't disclosing it publicly and he's waiting it out. He doesn't want to commit to an extension yet and he doesn't have to. He has till June 31 to do it. In fact, if he commits to it in advance, Nuggets will be able to completely rip the other team off (Nets, Knicks or whoever), which would just get Melo stuck on a bad team for years.
I realise that Nuggets fans are unhappy, they want to break a bank here, but hey, they aren't entitled to it, so they'll just have to suck it up.