PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 version of "It's irrelevant?"

Hicks
01-09-2011, 02:15 PM
ROOKIE WATCH: Pacers youngster Paul George scored eight of his 10 points in the fourth quarter, when he also grabbed two of his six rebounds. Yet when Indianapolis coach Jim O'Brien was asked if he was encouraged by the way the rookie forward played in the fourth quarter, he said, "No. He played terrible defense."

http://www.nba.com/games/20110108/INDATL/gameinfo.html#nbaGIlive

I mean, if we're upset with Jim last year for dumping on a 3rd year player (at the time; Josh) who did some nice things in a losing effort last year, isn't this at least as bad to say in the press about a rookie?

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 02:20 PM
J.J was just hitting tuff shots on him. He got beat once or twice on a back door but he didnt play horrible defense.

90'sNBARocked
01-09-2011, 02:20 PM
The guy just epitomizes the phrase "Lack of people skills"

For the love of God , I would like to hear anyone come out and criticize our coach

pwee31
01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm come to the conclusion O'Brien is who he is. I'm going to stop getting frustrated over it b/c it's pointless. He's the coach, he's going to do what he wants, says what he wants and play who he wants. I just hope the team responds

hoops_guy
01-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah like he'd ever complain about Mike Dunleavy or Troy Murphy playing bad defense. He's a ****ing *******.

Shade
01-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Dear God, I hate Jim O'Brien.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah like he'd ever complain about Mike Dunleavy or Troy Murphy playing bad defense. He's a ****ing *******.

lol yes this is 100% correct

:citizenkane:

beast23
01-09-2011, 02:27 PM
JOB is an ***.

Positive feedback or even tempered feedback to another person isn't exactly an art form. It is really quite simple.

If he wanted to tell George that he was making strides but still needs to work on his defensive game he could have said "Yes, Paul has worked hard and has managed to make great progress with his offensive game, but his defense remains a work-in-progress".

Or, if he wanted to slam his defense, yet throw him a bone, he could have said "Paul's defense needs a lot of work because he isn't anywhere close to where he needs to be yet. But, yes, his offensive game is really coming along and he helped us a lot tonight."

It really isn't that hard. Why is it so difficult to acknowledge the good while addressing the bad.

And to repeat, JOB is an ***.

Freddie fan
01-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I think he's being forced to play George and change his lineup in general, so he took some of his frustration out on young Paul in the newspaper.

Somebody needs to sign Jimmy Walnuts up for one of those Supervision 101 workshops where they explain the praise in public, criticize in private motivational theory.

brewpopps
01-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Irrelevant? Everything is at the point now where the season hangs on "irrelevance." Obviously, the front office is deaf to the voice of the fans and we are now experiencing dejavu, not only with the quotes of our HC, but the possibility that this "team" might be disintegrating before our eyes and the prospects of a middling first round pick are now very real.
What difference does it make? We know what we have with this coach....same as last year...same as the year before...same as the year before. A late season winning streak is the only thing that will keep our interest.
Same quotes...same irrelevant rotations...same losing.
If something is not working, we need to change up.

gummy
01-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Yes, this is my main issue with JOB's comments. If you're going to criticize don't show any favoritism - how about some consistency? It pissed me off to hear him call Brandon and Roy out on D various times over the last couple of seasons whilst not saying a word about Troy's general matador defense or Dun's bad man-to man.

I guess the younger guys are easier targets, eh?

Naptown_Seth
01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Here's my theory - JOB is from the Larry Brown school.

That school is that you go to any length to completely, totally destroy a player. Break him all the way down like an abusive spouse. And only then will they be receptive to doing what you tell them to do.

I think both coaches have been extremely flawed in this view and have several "flops" in their resume.

Is any of this so different than Larry Brown wanting to trade for Rose, then putting Rose into DNP every game which was like taking a pipe wrench to Jax's knees since you took him (Jax) and turned him into a DNP virtually.

How did that go for Brown? The team lost more games that year than both the previous and NEXT season, and Brown got fired.

These "smart" coaches CAN BE WRONG. It happens all the time. I'm sick of the defense that only they are capable of understanding the job. You might as well tell the fry cook that only he could learn to do that.

There are more rocket scientists and brain surgeons in the world than NBA coaches, so I think human beings are capable of learning the art of NBA coaching without actually obtaining that status.

You might as well say Kesha knows more about singing than your local choir teacher because after all she's made more money and is at a higher profile in her field.

Climbing the ranks of many careers involves a lot more than straight merit. And I firmly believe basketball coaching is one of those. It's about contacts, or profile. Isiah didn't have to climb the ranks of assistant coaches or high school HC to NCAA small school HC to NCAA top 25 HC to NBA HC.

Heck, plenty of great assistants end up failing as HC in all sports. Being in the role doesn't automatically mean you should be. It could mean you have a GM in a role that he's also not really qualified for, or you could have an owner that doesn't understand the business because he made all his money in a different business. And I don't mean Simon or Bird, I mean many situations across all sports.

Sparhawk
01-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Yet Paul George had 2 steals. J.J. is a tough player to guard and yeah, PG got beat a couple of times, but he also played some great man up defense where J.J. also hit some tough shots over him. J.J. is tough to shut down. I didn't see anyone else play good D against him.

I don't think anyone played good defense yesterday. I lost count on how many dunks the Hawks had. They are an elite team and we are not. Nuff said, it's not worth getting angry over. The Hawks are just a highlight reel of a team.

Freddie fan
01-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Here's my theory - JOB is from the Larry Brown school.

That school is that you go to any length to completely, totally destroy a player. Break him all the way down like an abusive spouse. And only then will they be receptive to doing what you tell them to do.

I think both coaches have been extremely flawed in this view and have several "flops" in their resume.

Is any of this so different than Larry Brown wanting to trade for Rose, then putting Rose into DNP every game which was like taking a pipe wrench to Jax's knees since you took him (Jax) and turned him into a DNP virtually.

How did that go for Brown? The team lost more games that year than both the previous and NEXT season, and Brown got fired.

These "smart" coaches CAN BE WRONG. It happens all the time. I'm sick of the defense that only they are capable of understanding the job. You might as well tell the fry cook that only he could learn to do that.

There are more rocket scientists and brain surgeons in the world than NBA coaches, so I think human beings are capable of learning the art of NBA coaching without actually obtaining that status.

You might as well say Kesha knows more about singing than your local choir teacher because after all she's made more money and is at a higher profile in her field.

Climbing the ranks of many careers involves a lot more than straight merit. And I firmly believe basketball coaching is one of those. It's about contacts, or profile. Isiah didn't have to climb the ranks of assistant coaches or high school HC to NCAA small school HC to NCAA top 25 HC to NBA HC.

Heck, plenty of great assistants end up failing as HC in all sports. Being in the role doesn't automatically mean you should be. It could mean you have a GM in a role that he's also not really qualified for, or you could have an owner that doesn't understand the business because he made all his money in a different business. And I don't mean Simon or Bird, I mean many situations across all sports.

Bob Knight was famously from this school as well, which is obviously an old school approach that appears to be less frequent and less effective with athletes today than in years past and particularly so with the young millionnaires in today's NBA.

It was never an effective approach for more sensitive personalities, like a Roy Hibbert, who hardly needs public ridicule to be receptive to coaching. In fact, what Roy needs is praise and encouragement, but he is playing for the wrong team to receive that.

Dr. Awesome
01-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Jim O'Brien is a joke.

McKeyFan
01-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm come to the conclusion O'Brien is who he is. I'm going to stop getting frustrated over it b/c it's pointless. He's the coach, he's going to do what he wants, says what he wants and play who he wants. I just hope the team responds
Oh, they respond.

They respond just as you would expect to chaotic leadership.

Infinite MAN_force
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Bob Knight was famously from this school as well, which is obviously an old school approach that appears to be less frequent and less effective with athletes today than in years past and particularly so with the young millionnaires in today's NBA.

It was never an effective approach for more sensitive personalities, like a Roy Hibbert, who hardly needs public ridicule to be receptive to coaching. In fact, what Roy needs is praise and encouragement, but he is playing for the wrong team to receive that.

Wasn't Bob Knight well known for holding his BEST players accountable though? Not giving them a pass and dumping on younger or more inexperienced players? At least not publicly.

Freddie fan
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
The Pacers should definitely keep O'Brien through next year. This practice of ripping his players in the media on a fairly regular basis will surely help attract high-quality free agents this summer.

McKeyFan
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Yes, this is my main issue with JOB's comments. If you're going to criticize don't show any favoritism - how about some consistency? It pissed me off to hear him call Brandon and Roy out on D various times over the last couple of seasons whilst not saying a word about Troy's general matador defense or Dun's bad man-to man.

I guess the younger guys are easier targets, eh?
JOB is a bully, and they only pick on the vulnerable.

BlueNGold
01-09-2011, 04:41 PM
This right here is why Jim O'Brien is extremely unpopular.

Notice he never said a word about Troy Murphy's "D", yet he puts Paul George, the youngest player on the team...who he has benched most of the year...and has him guard a perennial all-star SG.

...and proceeds to call Paul's defense terrible.

I've never posted this before, but I hate this about Jim O'Brien. I don't hate the man, but I do hate this language as a fan. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Shade
01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Since nobody else is in position to criticise Jim, I'll do it.

Hey Jim, your coaching is terrible, and nobody likes you. Do us all a favor and quit.

P.S. Go **** yourself.

BlueNGold
01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
JOB is a bully, and they only pick on the vulnerable.

Honestly, I tend to wonder if some of Jim's comments back-fired with Roy Hibbert. Not everyone reacts to negative criticism the same way...and that appears to be Jim's method to motivate.

It really amounts to emotional abuse IMHO.

Fire him Larry!

sunsun
01-09-2011, 05:00 PM
I just confused why Rush only play 20mins last nite and 8 mins are in the garbage time in the 2nd half....similarly, he stay on the bench whole 4th quarter the day before yesterday.......

confused....:confused:

Bball
01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Wasn't Bob Knight well known for holding his BEST players accountable though? Not giving them a pass and dumping on younger or more inexperienced players? At least not publicly.

Yes.... At least when he was in control of himself he would criticize better players and players he felt could handle it. The famous story is about him coaching in the Olympics with Jordan on the team and Jordan has just had a great 1st half. So they go into the lockerroom and Knight lights into Jordan and just rips his play. ....leaving everyone to think if he's that pi zz ed at Michael Jordan's play just think what he must think about the rest of the team....

But that said, as the years wore on I'm not sure more madness than method worked it's way into Knight's coaching. Plus I think things like the 3 point line ultimately dimmed his effectiveness. IU always had shooters so early on it didn't hurt but later coaches began utilizing the line specifically and that negated some of what gave Knight's team an advantage.

I recently have wondered if some of the very little support O'Brien is left with is because a few people see him as a Knight figure- not bowing to public sentiment... not afraid to say what he wants... free to paint himself as the next Norman Dale. But to believe that you have to ignore the lack of results, contradictions, crazy rotations, and bad basketball that his actions tell you he wants (as in anyone that preaches defense simply couldn't have played Murphy huge minutes).

Pacersalltheway10
01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Jim O'Brien is irrelevant.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 05:22 PM

No, he is very relevant i wish he was irrelevant and just shut up and play normal rotations.

flox
01-09-2011, 05:42 PM

I doubt anyone in the media has asked about Troy Murphy or Mike's defense. In addition, they play solid team defense.

You can only get so upset when Matt Bonner makes a defensive mistake. He is who he is. They are who they are.

cdash
01-09-2011, 05:47 PM
I doubt anyone in the media has asked about Troy Murphy or Mike's defense. In addition, they play solid team defense.

You can only get so upset when Matt Bonner makes a defensive mistake. He is who he is. They are who they are.

Nobody asked about George's defense. He just offered it up.

flox
01-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Nobody asked about George's defense. He just offered it up.
Fair enough. I just don't think people ask about Dunleavy or Murphy in losses. It's not a good media question in my opinion.

koVe
01-09-2011, 06:03 PM
I'd think the fact that Mike's father is a prominent nba figure plays into that as well. Although, like your point, I think Mike probably plays close to his potential on defense.. so why complain.

Still, I'd guess he's afraid of any backlash at least in the media if he started in on Mike on a regular basis.

PacersHomer
01-09-2011, 06:07 PM
How could you play for this tool? How can a player respect this man? He's the worst head coach in the NBA. He clearly doesn't know how to answer questions. What can this locker room be like? O'Brien doesn't deserve the respect from these players. He's a pathetic coach and person.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 06:08 PM
How could you play for this tool? How can a player respect this man? He's the worst head coach in the NBA. He clearly doesn't know how to answer questions. What can this locker room be like? O'Brien doesn't deserve the respect from these players. He's a pathetic coach and person.

John Kuster in DET is probly the worst head coach in the NBA.

CableKC
01-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I can't seem to find my post regarding this comment....but I'll ask the question again.

If you were to look at PGs defensive performance objectively, did he look absolutely terrible on the defensive end?

Did he look as lost on the defensive end as Hansbrough did on the offensive end?

I don't like it, but I expect it because both PG and Hansbrough are pretty rookie's as well and I feel that it's a matter of time before both figure things out.

Lord Helmet
01-09-2011, 07:37 PM
You know, after looking at the box score last night that was something like Pacers 89 Hawks 167 I came to the conclusion that the Pacers just plain suck.

We aren't a playoff team, and our coach isn't good either. We can't blame that bad of play on Jim, can we? Yes, Jim isn't the coach I want, but hey, PLAYERS, why don't you at least make the score respectable?

The Pacers are not a playoff team, and soon will be back at the 9th position if they aren't already.

They'll finish 9th, AGAIN, because we are a 32 win basketball team with a coach who isn't good, and won't be here next year.

I've had my rant with Jim and his offense, and I believe it is stupid and just like I have little faith in Jim, I have little faith in our players.

But if Paul George is going to cry about this comment, then he should give the Pacers back his $1,000,000 or whatever overpaid salary he has and quit.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 08:04 PM
You know, after looking at the box score last night that was something like Pacers 89 Hawks 167 I came to the conclusion that the Pacers just plain suck.

We aren't a playoff team, and our coach isn't good either. We can't blame that bad of play on Jim, can we? Yes, Jim isn't the coach I want, but hey, PLAYERS, why don't you at least make the score respectable?

The Pacers are not a playoff team, and soon will be back at the 9th position if they aren't already.

They'll finish 9th, AGAIN, because we are a 32 win basketball team with a coach who isn't good, and won't be here next year.

I've had my rant with Jim and his offense, and I believe it is stupid and just like I have little faith in Jim, I have little faith in our players.

But if Paul George is going to cry about this comment, then he should give the Pacers back his $1,000,000 or whatever overpaid salary he has and quit.

LOL paul isnt gonna cry about that comment

special ed
01-09-2011, 08:08 PM
John Kuster in DET is probly the worst head coach in the NBA.And the Pistons are getting closer to the Pacers in the standings. Will Kuster still be considered a worse HC than OB if/when the Pistons pass the Pacers?

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
And the Pistons are getting closer to the Pacers in the standings. Will Kuster still be considered a worse HC than OB if/when the Pistons pass the Pacers?

Yes the man is just like JOB always switching rotations and doesnt play Greg Moneroe as much as he should. He is in love with Chris Wilcoxs and Maxiell and plays them to much. He lost his team damm dear two weeks into the season. Rip and Tashuan dont respect or play hard for him.

MiaDragon
01-09-2011, 08:16 PM

I cant wait for the day this statement actually rings true.

MiaDragon
01-09-2011, 08:18 PM

This is just full of fail.

Unclebuck
01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
I think the fact that we are discussing this is a joke. Has it gotten to the point that the coach can't be critical of a players defense

My honest opinion.

Unclebuck
01-09-2011, 08:46 PM

He was critical of Murphy's defense in the media on several occasions.

Bball
01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
I think the fact that we are discussing this is a joke. Has it gotten to the point that the coach can't be critical of a players defense

It has... and rightfully so IMHO.
The man is a hypocrite and walking contradiction. There's absolutely no way IMO the players can have any respect left for him or be able to play hard for him.

I'm surprised there isn't a player mutiny. The majority of fans have had it with him. The local media is following suit. The players can't be far behind in letting it out.

Unclebuck
01-09-2011, 08:59 PM
It has... and rightfully so IMHO.
The man is a hypocrite and walking contradiction. There's absolutely no way IMO the players can have any respect left for him or be able to play hard for him.

I'm surprised there isn't a player mutiny. The majority of fans have had it with him. The local media is following suit. The players can't be far behind in letting it out.

they did play pretty hard Friday night

King Tuts Tomb
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM

My honest opinion.

The thing that drives me nuts about the comment: what's the point? How is this improving the team or motivating George? So why say it? It's just negativity. It's not constructive, it doesn't help us win games.

There's a difference between good criticism (analyzing performance, the why's and how's) and empty criticism ("Terrible!" Well, why is it terrible?). If you fail a test in school, who's the better teacher to have: The one who hands you the paper, says "That's terrible" and walks away. Or the one who says "Here's where you screwed up. Let's fix this together."

BlueNGold
01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
The thing that drives me nuts about the comment: what's the point? How is this improving the team or motivating George? So why say it? It's just negativity. It's not constructive, it doesn't help us win games.

There's a difference between good criticism (analyzing performance, the why's and how's) and empty criticism ("Terrible!" Well, why is it terrible?).

Sometimes empty criticism can be effective. It all depends on the circumstances.

The problem is, this happens too often under the wrong circumstances...like this one. (criticizing a rookie you've benched all year while he attempts to guard an all-star, veteran SG)

Since Jim is so good at criticizing, do we have any quotes where he's taken blame? How often does that happen in comparison to blaming the players?

Sandman21
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Sure didn't stop him from playing him.

Oh yeah, thats right, not only could Troy supposedly "stretch" the floor, he was a VETERAN!

You stick a rookie on an All-Star, what do you expect to happen? Let's see someone take JOB to task for his "genius" idea of putting Posey on Amare!

Bball
01-09-2011, 09:17 PM
they did play pretty hard Friday night

Does 1 game really mean they are overall playing hard for him? ...Especially when compared to other recent games?

Really?

CableKC
01-09-2011, 09:32 PM
This is just full of fail.
I can't disagree with Lord Helmet....the overall roster isn't that great....as evidenced by our record over the last 3 seasons.....talentwise....we're not bad enough to be a lottery Team but not good enough to be a Playoff Team.

For this season....I do agree that the Coach does have the ability to sway the fortunes of this Team. Unfortunately, based off of how he coaches the Team....the Team can go one way ( making the Playoffs ) or the other ( missing the Playoffs but not bad enough to be a bottom Lottery Team ).

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Does 1 game really mean they are overall playing hard for him? ...Especially when compared to other recent games?

Really?

Friday to me just seem like typical of how a good team plays by the Spurs. Coast throught the first 3 qts and crank it up in the 4th when it matters.

CableKC
01-09-2011, 09:36 PM

My honest opinion.
I'll ask the question again.....for those that watched the last 2 games where PG played a lot of minutes....if you were to look at PGs defensive performance objectively, did he look absolutely terrible on the defensive end?

In other words, does JO'B have a legit reason to criticize?

PacerGuy
01-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Dear God, I hate Jim O'Brien.

:reporter: Biblical Reporter:

"Jim, what do you think aboug God creating the world in 7 days? Light, water, sky, land, days, seasons, life & living creatures, all in 6 days. Pretty good for a rookie Creator of a Universe, right?"

:devil: JO'B:

"No, not really, resting on day 7 was just lazy!"

"But Jim..."

"No really, a true Power God can streatch the heavens. Our planets & stars just croud the Milky-Lane.

" :eek: "

"Besides, the decision to not create a 4 pt shot when he invented basketball for the future state of Indiana was just selfish. What about MY wants & needs? Some God he is....."

"And so it is written that on the 8th day God created Troy Murphy & James Posey, because the 7th day was not so restful for God having to listen to JO'B's future rotations plans without such creations"......

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I'll ask the question again.....for those that watched the last 2 games where PG played a lot of minutes....if you were to look at PGs defensive performance objectively, did he look absolutely terrible on the defensive end?

In other words, does JO'B have a legit reason to criticize?

No is defense was alright vs the Hawks but J.J was on fire hitting a lot of tuff shots. He got burn once on a backdoor cut, but for the most part contested all of J.J's shot pretty well.

hoops_guy
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I can't disagree with Lord Helmet....the overall roster isn't that great....as evidenced by our record over the last 3 seasons.....talentwise....we're not bad enough to be a lottery Team but not good enough to be a Playoff Team.

For this season....I do agree that the Coach does have the ability to sway the fortunes of this Team. Unfortunately, based off of how he coaches the Team....the Team can go one way ( making the Playoffs ) or the other ( missing the Playoffs but not bad enough to be a bottom Lottery Team ).

Every year this is what everyone says since I have lurked the forum. The past three years this has been true. This year it is simply not.

Last year we started Earl "Mediocre" Watson and now we have Darren Collison who averaged 19 and 9 as a starter.
Last year we started dope-head Rush and now we have Paul George, a healthy Mike, and a clean Brandon Rush; all better than a pothead Rush.
Last year we had a hobbling Danny Granger shooting 7 threes a game, this year we have a Danny who is still bad but not nearly the burden he was last year.
Last year we played Murph 33 minutes a game and he doesn't even have a role on a turribad Nets team. This year we have two adequate backup power forwards.

It's the clown. The first three years he he complained that he didn't have enough talent. Now he has the talent and he fails to produce. He has Darren Collison watch the ball while Danny takes everyone off the dribble. We have Roy in the mid-post all of the time. He plays James Posey, TJ Ford, and Solomon Jones.

He is the definition of fail.

Scot Pollard
01-09-2011, 09:50 PM

"Jim, what do you think aboug God creating the world in 7 days? Light, water, sky, land, days, seasons, life & living creatures, all in 6 days. Pretty good for a rookie Creator of a Universe, right?"

"No, not really, resting on day 7 was just lazy!"

"But Jim..."

"No really, a true Power God can streatch the heavens. Our planets & stars just croud the Milky-Lane.

" :eek: "

"Besides, the decision to not create a 4 pt shot when he invented basketball for the future state of Indiana was just selfish. What about MY wants & needs? Some God he is....."

"And so it is written that on the 8th day God created Troy Murphy & James Posey, because the 7th day was not so restful for God having to listen to JO'B's future rotations plans without such creations"......

i posted a good jim obrien chat a few months back

BlueNGold
01-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Every year this is what everyone says since I have lurked the forum. The past three years this has been true. This year it is simply not.

Last year we started Earl "Mediocre" Watson and now we have Darren Collison who averaged 19 and 9 as a starter.
Last year we started dope-head Rush and now we have Paul George, a healthy Mike, and a clean Brandon Rush; all better than a pothead Rush.
Last year we had a hobbling Danny Granger shooting 7 threes a game, this year we have a Danny who is still bad but not nearly the burden he was last year.
Last year we played Murph 33 minutes a game and he doesn't even have a role on a turribad Nets team. This year we have two adequate backup power forwards.

It's the clown. The first three years he he complained that he didn't have enough talent. Now he has the talent and he fails to produce. He has Darren Collison watch the ball while Danny takes everyone off the dribble. We have Roy in the mid-post all of the time. He plays James Posey, TJ Ford, and Solomon Jones.

He is the definition of fail.

On top of this, the team is healthy. Foster, Granger, Dunleavy and Tyler were all non-factors much or all of last year. Now they are available and contributing. That by itself should be worth a lot of wins, yet this team is worse than Jim's first two years in terms of winning pct.

Also, Hibbert supposedly improved over the summer. Same with Josh McRoberts, the best player during the preseason. ...and Ford has been playing better. Even Solo has looked better.

But the biggest addition has been the great James Posey. Dude stretches the floor with the best of them...draining shot after three point shot. Even shutting down Amare' and Josh Smith. Without James and his amazing ability to guard super-athletic forwards and centers, I suspect we'd be in really bad shape.

imbtyler
01-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Honestly, I tend to wonder if some of Jim's comments back-fired with Roy Hibbert. Not everyone reacts to negative criticism the same way...and that appears to be Jim's method to motivate.

It really amounts to emotional abuse IMHO.

Fire him Larry!

Both Roy and Rush have had issues with confidence in the past. I highly doubt Jim's reverse-psychological "motivation" works like that with them. Some players don't take it like others, especially young ones with faltered self-esteem (no offense to them). Fortunately, Paul seems like he can overcome it, despite the fact that it's still irrelevant.

Hicks
01-09-2011, 10:58 PM

If only that were true.

BlueNGold
01-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Jim is very relevant. After Four Long Years, this team is worse. Better players, but a worse record right now than in year 1 and 2 for Jim. That should get the man fired.

I suspect Jim's time is spent determining who the next sucker is going to be to get criticized to the press....while he should be calling Rick Carlisle to learn how to coach.

Whatever Jim is doing, it's not working even though the players are healthier and should be better than any time during his tenure.

Fire him Larry!

Sookie
01-09-2011, 11:14 PM
You know, I liked just thinking this guy was a bad basketball coach.

But honestly, I think he's a bully too.

I don't care what PG does with the comment, JOB shouldn't have said it, and the fact that he did shows more about himself than what it'll say about PG, regardless of what PG does with the comment.

The saddest thing, for me, about it. Is that we have, for the most part, such a good, respectful group of guys that they won't say a negative word to the press about Obie. They'll just march on.

Larry Bird, these guys as a collective group, deserve a good coach.

And heck, if Artest and Pau can go to the press about Phil..Obie certainly deserves some criticism.

hoops_guy
01-09-2011, 11:19 PM
On the topic of Paul George, I was looking around at everyones Twitter and came across this:

I hate losing man and it's been a streak of those! Come on y'all!
about 24 hours ago via Echofon

Another tough loss!! ****tttt!

http://twitter.com/king24george
10:15 PM Jan 8th via Echofon

Haha Twitter is something else.

Peck
01-10-2011, 01:39 AM

Do you have a link or any context at all to this? For the life of me I do not remember seeing, reading or hearing this.

I'm not saying your not right but I just don't remember it at all.

Foul on Smits
01-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Here's a better question. Has O'Brien ever publicly criticized Mike Dunleavy for poor defense? Because Mike Dunleavy might be the worst defensive player i've ever seen. When i'm at the games and Dunleavy is guarding a really athletic player, I sometimes want to pull a WWF move and distract the ref's, then throw a set of brass knuckles onto the court for him to use. It's the only way he's stopping anyone. I'm telling you..

Unclebuck
01-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Do you have a link or any context at all to this? For the life of me I do not remember seeing, reading or hearing this.

I'm not saying your not right but I just don't remember it at all.

I'll do a search

Bball
01-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I'll do a search

I think you'll be searching a long time... Better grab a Snickers bar!

Roaming Gnome
01-10-2011, 09:59 AM
I think you'll be searching a long time... Better grab a Snickers bar!

Exactly... Because I don't think it's EVER happened. If O'Brien has criticized Murphy, it's been indirectly by accusing the front court. O'Brien hasn't singled out Murphy that I can recall!

xIndyFan
01-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Friday to me just seem like typical of how a good team plays by the Spurs. Coast throught the first 3 qts and crank it up in the 4th when it matters.

that's what veteran teams do.:cool:

i see by your age that you were not old enough to have see much of the reggie/ric pacers. they used to do that all the time. a young team would be running and gunning and dunking, the pacers would be stumbling around, just kinda holding on. and suddenly in the 4th, the pacers would drop mark jackson into the post and put the game away. it is really fun to watch an experienced team do this unless your a fan of the young team.

McKeyFan
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I remember one time and one time only when Obie mentioned Murph's inferior defense in trying to make a point about why he had a certain defensive scheme going.

It was more of an aside. I do not ever remember him being directly critical and he certainly never went out of his way to criticize Murph's defense. But he did go out of his way many times to praise his shooting.

Unclebuck
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I think there is something wrong with google and Bing search emngines this morning. Dang internet, where are you when we need you

McKeyFan
01-10-2011, 10:06 AM
I think there is something wrong with google and Bing search emngines this morning. Dang internet, where are you when we need you
Try googling "Pacer's most valuable player."

Bball
01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Try "Man-crush" or "BroMance"....

thewholefnshow31
01-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I am not really surprised by this at all. Like others said JOB comes from the mold of Knight and Brown. The problem with JOB that someone like Knight did not have early on was that he does not attack who he feels is the best player. He only goes after the smaller guys like McRoberts or George.

If JOB would say something like this towards Dunleavy this season when his man abuses him then I would be more willingly to look past it, but I have not heard JOB go after Dunleavy or Murphy for their poor play.

Also, I do not think JOB differentiates between personalities. Some guys like Kobe or Jordan when they were younger and developing could handle the criticism and it would just fuel their desire to do better. In the case of someone like Hibbert the more negative reinforcement is not going to work. Hibbert takes things to hard and and just gets down on himself. Hibbert is the type of person it seems needs more positive reinforcement then the negative reinforcement.

Only 48 more until he is gone....hopefully.

PaceBalls
01-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm with thewholefnshow31. I have no problem with this criticism, PG did play awful defense. I like the old school coach mentality too. It is just he refuses to criticize his vets. The whole Troy Murphy fiasco has pretty much destroyed any benefit of the doubt I would otherwise have for Jim.

Hicks
01-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Actually, at first, Jim wasn't happy with Troy's defense. In 07-08, I recall Troy temporarily being in Jim's dog house, and I recall a public comment from Jim about it where he referenced Troy's defense.

After that... apparently his D was fine the rest of that year, plus the next 2.....

BlueNGold
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM

;)

pacer4ever
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Reggie Wayne said he was "irrelevant" sunday

Merz
01-10-2011, 11:36 PM
I think Mike probably plays close to his potential on defense.. so why complain.

\.

There is plenty to complain about. Some people say he doesn't have the physical ability to play better defense, but I'm sorry I don't know how many times he has half-assedly (don't care if it's a word or not) closed out on a shooter. There is no excuse for jogging over to a wide open shooter and not getting a hand in his face. I've seen him do it way too many times to just "take his D for what it is".

Unclebuck
01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
If any of you watched O'Brien's post game press conference (after the Mavs game) you would have heard him say that George's defense tonight was very good

pacer4ever
01-12-2011, 11:02 PM
If any of you watched O'Brien's post game press conference (after the Mavs game) you would have heard him say that George's defense tonight was very good

I hope JOB lets him drive more that is his bread and butter. It seems like he isnt allowed to drive. He is better at getting to the rim and finishing than Granger. I hope he lets Paul play his game a little more. But thats good to hear.

Hicks
01-13-2011, 12:54 AM

Which is amusing to me, as I thought his defense was better in the Atlanta game than it was tonight. He had a hard time (understandably so) following Jason Terry around screens and staying in front of him.

pacer4ever
01-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Which is amusing to me, as I thought his defense was better in the Atlanta game than it was tonight. He had a hard time (understandably so) following Jason Terry around screens and staying in front of him.

Me 2 lol but really no one could guard Terry well 2 nite. I thought we should have put PG24 on Marion or Stevenson more.

Dr. Awesome
01-13-2011, 01:10 AM

Jim O'Brien doesn't understand basketball. Anything he says in an interview should be disregarded immediately.

I'm frankly shocked people still want to hear what he says.