PDA

View Full Version : What should the lineup/rotation be?

BornReady#6
01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Okay I think we are at the point in the season were we say, win or lose we need a steady lineup/rotation. It is getting redundantly frustrating watching these head scratching decisions being made night in and night out. We here its all small ball, and Lance is no where near ready, then the very next game Tyler is starting and putting up a double-double, and Lance is on the active line up for the first time EVER! Now there is reports that there will be at least one big man on the inactive list every night, and either AJ or Lance will be there also. I for one am all for seeing how these guys play, and giving everyone a shot, but I think some stability is needed. This is so confusing, and really disheartening for the players with never knowing who is in and who is out. Why is TJ playing so much basketball when he clearly isnt doing anything? The line ups, rotations, and substitutions are a mess right now.

We need to play a steady rotation like this:

PG: DC through thick and thin should be our starting pg. He is a sophomore, but a very talented one at that, so he should be given every opportunity to be out there, learning the game, and getting time in with his new platoon. Aj Price should be his full-time back up, playing when DC is hurt, in foul trouble or winded, usually at the end of the 2nd, and beginning of the 4th. TJ Ford should be on the inactive list and heavily shopped, his days as a players should be over in Indiana.

SG and SF: Here we need a four man rotation, starting Brandon at the 2 and Danny at he 3 every night. Mike should back up our 2, and Paul the 3, but all four of these players can be interchangeable at either the 2 or 3 depending on match ups. Danny should play the majority of the game, and moved between the 2 or 3 for match up purposes, and Brandon, Mike and Paul should all rotate in and out based on performance, and match up. Dahntay and Posey should be inactive, and both heavily shopped. Lance should get garbage and injury mins, and if he proves himself, maybe eat into mikes mins.

PF: Tyler should start here for the rest of the year, hands down. Tyler is ready to do his thing, and just like DC, he is learning, and trying to adapt to the NBA game. We should play him and expect exactly what we have seen the past 2 nights, double doubles, and some nights around 10 and 5, which isnt horrible for a guy learning on the job. McBob should back Tyler up, every night, and play at least 25-30% of the mins at the 4. Solo should be the bench energy guy, seeing only garbage or injury fill in mins. I dont believe at this point we need to obtain another 4, we should stick with what we have, and reassess at seasons end.

C: Roy should start every night of course, and play most mins through thick and thin also, we are gonna struggle this season, all of us will, but out of failure comes experience. Foster should continue to back up roy, like McBob to Tyler. Solo could help down here also for match up purposes.

Shade
01-09-2011, 12:44 PM
C - Hibbert/Foster
PF - Hansbrough/McRoberts/Posey
SF - Granger/Dunleavy
SG - Rush/George
PG - Collison/Price/Stephenson

Inactive: SJones, DJones, Ford

Interestingly enough, all of our expirings are players I would let walk anyway. I think that Dahntay will be a solid rotational player under a different coach, so he could back up Rush while George slides over to the 3. Then we sign/trade for a new starting 4, backing him up with Tyler, and draft a back-up C.

Next season's roster:

C - Hibbert/draft pick
PF - FA or trade/Hansbrough/Posey
SF - Granger/George
SG - Rush/Jones

Out: SJones, Foster, McRoberts, Dunleavy, Ford

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
C - Hibbert/Foster
SF - Granger/Dunleavy
SG - Rush/George

Interestingly enough, all of our expirings are players I would let walk anyway. I think that Dahntay will be a solid rotational player under a different coach, so he could back up Rush while George slides over to the 3. Then we sign/trade for a new starting 4, backing him up with Tyler, and draft a back-up C.

Next season's roster:

C - Hibbert/draft pick
SF - Granger/George
SG - Rush/Jones

Jones isnt gonna play. That spot will ethier be Paul's or Lance's most likely Paul's and just play a 3 wing rotation.

Shade
01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Like I said, under a different coach, I think Dahntay will be servicable. He isn't a bad player, he just doesn't fit this system.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Like I said, under a different coach, I think Dahntay will be servicable. He isn't a bad player, he just doesn't fit this system.

He is servicable on a good team I see us trading him. Maybe to the Lakers Matt Barnes is out for awhile with a knee injury he would fill that void. I'm a Jones fan but Paul is way better offensivly and should be better defensivly by next year.

Shade
01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I think Paul will primarily back up Granger.

Of course, if we re-sign Dun, then Dahntay will be the odd man out again. Plus we'll have to see what Lance brings to the table, and if he plays at the 2 at all. But I'd be comfortable with Dahntay backing up Rush in a different system.

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I think Paul will primarily back up Granger.

Of course, if we re-sign Dun, then Dahntay will be the odd man out again. Plus we'll have to see what Lance brings to the table, and if he plays at the 2 at all. But I'd be comfortable with Dahntay backing up Rush in a different system.

So u want Paul only getting 10-15 mins next yr?

I think Paul will play the SG primarily and playing some SF but thats just me. I think he is way more effective playing with Granger than backing him up. He has all the skills to play the SG and his size and atleticism makes him very dangerous at the SG.

beast23
01-09-2011, 01:19 PM
To tell you the truth, I am done talking about the rotations because it means absolutely nothing.

This team does not play badly defensively. We have a few weak links, but more often than not, everyone is on the same page.

But, until we have player that know what to expect from their coach and can achieve some level of comfort as to those expectations, I think our team and its offense will remain in shambles. As a result, do rotations really account for much?

Sorry, I've labeled this as "cynical Sunday".

Shade
01-09-2011, 01:27 PM
So u want Paul only getting 10-15 mins next yr?

I think Paul will play the SG primarily and playing some SF but thats just me. I think he is way more effective playing with Granger than backing him up. He has all the skills to play the SG and his size and atleticism makes him very dangerous at the SG.

Good point. Can't really argue with that. He may even supplant Rush at some point and start at the 2, depending on how quickly he progresses the rest of this season.

PacersHomer
01-09-2011, 05:04 PM
PG-Collison/Ford
SG-Rush/Dunleavy
SF-Granger/George
PF-Hansbrough/McRoberts
C-Hibbert/Foster

I feel like it should be simple, but I guess O'Brien sees something different.

pwee31
01-09-2011, 05:35 PM
My inactive players would be Solo, Posey, and Ford.

I know some say Dahntay, but I think Dahntay is a solid player. He actually played really well in spurts for the team last year.

I really would like to think the only reason Ford is playing is to raise his trade value. I know he's not playing well, but it's better to have a guy playing that may draw interest, than have a guy inactive that the entire league knows you're handcuffed.

Unfortunately I think our coach believes Ford, Posey and even Solo at times are our best chance to win games. It's for that reason I wish O'Brien would get fired, or Bird would trade away all his "safety blankets"

xIndyFan
01-09-2011, 06:51 PM
i like the rotation the pacers are using now.

PG - collison/ford
SG - dunleavy/rush
SF - granger
PF - hansbrough
C - hibbert/foster

nice 8 man rotation. with paul george getting a chance off the bench each night. on the games he plays well [or blowouts ;(], he gets more time. usually from rush or dunleavy. foster and TJ basically get backup minutes of 20 min or so. the rest get starter minutes ~30.

if i was going to change anything, i would put AJ price in the backup PG slot. generally i think TJ has played pretty well, but lately, the ball is starting to stick to his hands. plus he is just soo little.

PaulGeorge24
01-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Collison (36) / Sign Antonio Daniels to become the backup point
Rush (32) / George (16)
Granger (36) / George (12)
Hansbrough (24) / McRoberts (20)
Hibbert (34) / Foster (14)

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Collison / Sign Antonio Daniels to become the backup point
Rush / George
Granger / George
Hansbrough / McRoberts
Hibbert / Foster

a 33 yr old D-league pg no thanks

he was good 5 years ago

But i like the rest of the rotation

PaulGeorge24
01-09-2011, 07:31 PM
a 33 yr old D-league pg no thanks

he was good 5 years ago

But i like the rest of the rotation

Yeah,

but even as a 35 year old d-leaguer he's miles better than our current backup "point guard". :laugh:

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah,

but even as a 35 year old d-leaguer he's miles better than our current backup "point guard". :laugh:

So u are saying u would cut AJ price just so we can have Daniels this yr.

Just play AJ instead of TJ

PacerDude
01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
PG-Collison/Price
SG-Rush/Dunleavy
SF-Granger/George
PF-Someone else/Hansbrough
C-Hibbert/Foster

I think we have a lot of good pieces, but the 4 spot is the problem. If Tyler continues his 23/12 stuff, then I'll gladly be wrong ............... but I don't think so. I simply don't see how he can match up on D with most of the other PFs in the league. I see him as a good energy guy, but not a starter - at least on a contending team.

Oh, and a new coach. :D But that goes without saying. So, I'm not sure why I said it other than it feels good to type it.

sportfireman
01-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Collisio/Price
Rush/Jones
Granger/George
Hansbrough/McRoberts
Hibbert/Foster

Scot Pollard
01-09-2011, 08:44 PM
inactive: Jones, Jones, Posey

dont play Ford a second i hate him when he plays it pisses me off

little ball hog

Scot Pollard
01-09-2011, 09:13 PM
pg ford
sg dunleavy
sf djones
pf posey
c sjones

pacer4ever
01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
pg ford
sg dunleavy
sf djones
pf posey
c sjones

solo cant strectch the floor try Danny at center or maybe Paul ,Rush

Sookie
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Collison/Price
BRush/PG
Granger/Dun
Josh/Tyler
Hibbert/Josh/Foster

Those starters have a pretty good chemistry, and have complimentary skill sets. Price, Dun, and Tyler will be a fantastic scoring punch off the bench, and if you have Josh play the backup center, you have three players who will move the ball in with a rookie and Tyler. Not to mention, Tyler and Josh play well together.

I'd keep Ford active for the rare occurence of when AJ and Darren play terrible/out of control. (I don't mean make a few mistakes..I mean when they are having "bad TJ" games) Not that it'll help..but it's the point position and it's best to have options.

So inactive is Solo, Dahntay, Lance.

LA_Confidential
01-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Regardless of what the rotations should be, they SHOULD NOT be determined by OB.

pwee31
01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
O'Brien reminds me of the kid on the playground that everyone hopes doesn't pick them.

You know the kid that goes and picks all his friends that he came with because to him they're really good, instead of branching out and picking the actual best players at the playground

He picks the players that he thinks are the best players b/c those are the players he's comfortable with, but he's not picking the actual players that give you the best chance to compete.

I think the players realize this as well, and it definitely lowers moral. Thing is the guys still want to win, and they're getting paid so they go out and try to make best they can, where in playground basketball you lose on purpose in hopes of being picked up by a better team

90'sNBARocked
01-10-2011, 02:21 PM
C - Hibbert/Foster
SF - Granger/Dunleavy
SG - Rush/George

Next season's roster:

C - Hibbert/draft pick
SF - Granger/George
SG - Rush/Jones

Shade you really want Lance at back up PG?

90'sNBARocked
01-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Collison/Price
BRush/PG
Granger/Dun
Josh/Tyler
Hibbert/Josh/Foster

Those starters have a pretty good chemistry, and have complimentary skill sets. Price, Dun, and Tyler will be a fantastic scoring punch off the bench, and if you have Josh play the backup center, you have three players who will move the ball in with a rookie and Tyler. Not to mention, Tyler and Josh play well together.

I'd keep Ford active for the rare occurence of when AJ and Darren play terrible/out of control. (I don't mean make a few mistakes..I mean when they are having "bad TJ" games) Not that it'll help..but it's the point position and it's best to have options.

So inactive is Solo, Dahntay, Lance.

Will Lance ever catch a break with you ? :)

all in fun

pacer4ever
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Shade you really want Lance at back up PG?

I do i want to see what he can do there and at SG BTW he was third string on his rotation

Sookie
01-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Will Lance ever catch a break with you ? :)

all in fun

Nah, it's just depth. We have four wings, and I feel like it's more important to have 3 Pgs active, then 5 Wings.

MTM
01-10-2011, 03:36 PM
PG - Brandon Rush / Darren Collinson
SG - MJD / Paul George
SF - Granger / Paul George
PF - Posey / McRoberts
C - McRoberts / Posey

These are the best 3-point shooters on the team. If that's what our coach thinks is most important, then let's run out this lineup ... and after enough games of realizing this does NOT win games... maybe reason will return to the decisions here.

johndozark
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Positions and Minutes. Active rotation in bold.
0 minutes would mean either on the inactive list or CD-DNP

PG: Collison 20-32, Price 16-28 (with Collison and Price minutes possibly reversed according to productivity), Ford 0-12, but usually inactive
SG: Rush 24-36
SF: Granger 28-36 (I'd rather see him in the 30-32 range, not overused); Posey 0-6, but usually inactive
Utility PG/SG Stephenson 0-12
Utility SG/SF: George 12-24, Dunleavy 12-24, D. Jones 0-12
PF: McRoberts 20-28, Hansbrough 20-28 (there are advantages and disadvantages to each as a starter, but they are our best two options, and both ought to play substantial minutes every game)
C: Hibbert 24-36
Utility PF-C: Foster 12-24, S. Jones 0-12. McRoberts might also get some minutes at C.

The active ten-man rotation would be Price, Collison, Granger, Rush, George,
Dunleavy, McRoberts, Hansbrough, Hibbert, and Foster.

The usual inactives would be Posey, Ford, and one of the following, depending on needs: Stephenson, S. Jones, or D. Jones.

I recognize that Posey and Ford have each managed some heroics resulting in a few wins, but each has more often contributed to a loss, and the team will develop better in my opinion, without their being active options. Posey would get no time at PF.